What are Those things in the match engine that just do your head in!!...

Well to be fair, if you can't pinpoint where your tactic is going wrong from watching your team dominating games, missing chance after chance and going down to the AI's only few shots on goal then you deserve to lose.

The dreaded 4-2-4! Even though i've developed a tactic that's very good at nullifying the threat, it still frustates me how the last ten minutes of a match can be so completely different from the previous 80 as soon as the AI switches to this tactic. And the fact that every single AI team has access to this tactic yet i don't is pretty unfair in my opinion.

Scenario :

5th minute in the game, and you've just gone 1 down.

Commentary reads :

"[Team X] change back to their normal style"

10 minutes later....

"[Team X] change to a [Tactic A]"

Goal 2-0

"[Team X] revert back to their normal tactic"

Sod. Off.

If they can score goals just like that, why not ALWAYS have that tactic on.

Of course you have access to it... just move your wingers next to your strikers. To combat it, push a midfielder back and drop your full backs back.

There's more to a tactic than the formation. Simply putting my wingers up front isn't going to replicate the AI 4-2-4 tactic.

There's more to a tactic than the formation. Simply putting my wingers up front isn't going to replicate the AI 4-2-4 tactic.

Obviously... so go more direct, less timewasting, less creative freedom, etc...

Obviously... so go more direct, less timewasting, less creative freedom, etc...

Ok so you're proving my point, i don't have access to the 4-2-4 but have to come onto an internet forum to get advice on how it's implemented. The main point of what i was trying to say is that i think it's unrealistic that every single AI team will use the exact same tactic when looking to get a goal in the last ten minutes. How about mixing it up with a 4-3-3 or 3-4-3?

The long clearances that my defenders and goalkeeper always just stand and watch, allowing oppositions forwards a free run at goal. Presumably they just have charitable moments, and I guess I admire them for that. Or maybe it's just my tactics. I should probably stop using the "forget how to play football unless I use exactly the right tactic" tactic.

All the "too good to be true" comeback victories for teams of lesser quality.

When I have a team with solid players and am 1 or 2 goals up, why does teams of clearly less quality frequently manage to make some amazing comeback, even when I switch to a more defensive game (with superior defenders)...

This is the one major pain I have with FM08

Surprised no one mentioned this yet...or maybe I missed it.

Side A clears the ball. Instead of heading it away easily, side B defender decides to play the ball to his feet. Side A strikers steals the ball and gets a clear 1 on 1.

Sometimes it seems like the match engine has decided it's time for me to concede a goal, so the ball will be loose in my penalty area, but my defenders and goalkeeper, who are right by it, either stand still or scarper, allowing an opposition player to pop up and score.

Also, and this really annoys me, my wingers get into great positions with the ball on the byline, and all I want is for them to pull it back for one of my strikers to tap it in. I wouldn't even mind if a defender got there first and blocked it because at least the winger would have attempted the right thing. But instead, they try to shoot EVERY TIME! From that angle, unless they impart unbelievable curl to the ball (which they never do) they are only ever going to blast it out of play. But there doesn't seem to be any way to stop them from doing this. Infuriating.

The long clearances that my defenders and goalkeeper always just stand and watch, allowing oppositions forwards a free run at goal. Presumably they just have charitable moments, and I guess I admire them for that. Or maybe it's just my tactics. I should probably stop using the "forget how to play football unless I use exactly the right tactic" tactic.

yea i need to untick that box for the

"forget how to play football unless I use exactly the right tactic"

I have gone back to FM 07 because the match engine was the best in any FM game for me :) Like Sav said earlier in this topic... You felt in previous versians your team was progessing and certain solid signings made your team a rock most of the time and the results paid off in the end. On older versians when I got beat it actually felt I was beat by a better team on the day and my team wasn't on form.

I hate to say this but in FM 08 it feels like the computer decides when it's time for a goal and there is a lot of flaws in the match engine that I didn't see in 07.

One thing that put me off massively was in my first 5 matches on the game when I was 2-0 down and my player had a shot that was deflected... it went beyond the keeper who had rushed out past the penalty spot, stopped before the line and their defender was running back and had bags of time to clear it before my attacker got there and somehow the defender stopped before the ball and 2 seconds later my striker just came along and tapped it in.

It was like one of the those moments where a team does bad sportsmanship so they realise they nicked a goal unfairly and let the other team run down the pitch and tap it into an open goal. I should have been happy I scored to get 1 back but instead I was confused and felt the realism just wasn't there.

1. Its been said lots before, but when players dribble the ball out of bounds just for fun (apparently!)

2. When defenders with 0 flair (I’m looking at you Senderos!) clear corners by doing bicycle kicks (sure to please the manager that one!)

3. When players hoof the ball up the line to no-one (even when set on short passing/through the middle)

4. When your target man flicks the ball on from the centre circle with no-one around for miles (even when set on short passing, hold up ball and ‘play to feet’)

5. I’m sure there’s lots more!

1. Its been said lots before, but when players dribble the ball out of bounds just for fun (apparently!)

2. When defenders with 0 flair (I’m looking at you Senderos!) clear corners by doing bicycle kicks (sure to please the manager that one!)

3. When players hoof the ball up the line to no-one (even when set on short passing/through the middle)

4. When your target man flicks the ball on from the centre circle with no-one around for miles (even when set on short passing, hold up ball and ‘play to feet’)

5. I’m sure there’s lots more!

1. LOL

3. happens to me when i play in full match .frustrating

4. i forgot to mention . very annoying

5.definietely

wen my wingers just decide to hoof the ball down the line when there is nobody there and also defenders that sumtimes run away from the oppositions striker who then go onto score from a 1 v 1

that happened to me just now

2 defenders vs 1 striker

they didnt close down and instead just jogged in front of him in admiration of the ball.

he scored a long shot

and i close down 'always' on their lone striker

to be honest i dont understand how the closing down sliders work either

i assumed that if you put it on 'whole pitch' they would run around tackling people who are 50 yards up the field

i put this on everybody except my centre backs who are on 50% on the closing down

but nobody really closes down

* Centre backs who attempt overhead kicks on corners...

* When attacking and an opposition defender clears the ball, my full back or winger just lets it roll out instead of pumping the ball straight back into the box while they're disorganised...

* Players not squaring the ball in the opposition box...

* Defenders not closing down...

In fact, I only came across something recently when I installed updated player shapes. I don't have round "dots" anymore, but instead have oval shaped "dots". For the first time I can see that the way the players move is all wrong. They often receive the ball while their backs are turned on their team mate who's passing the ball, they turn in unnecessary 360's and so on.

• 2 weeks later...

What I really dont understand about the match engine, and I've seen this many times, is that goalkeepers seem to be able to make a save on almost the edge of the box and tap it over the goal. Personally I think that it is physically impossible to do that, since the speed of a shot will be attenuated when the GK taps the ball and therefore it will lose altitude and would drop in or in front of the goal, even if he would tap it upwards. Or am I thinking about this in too much detail?

IMHO it would be more realstic if a GK taps the ball to the side when he makes a safe on almost the edge of the box.

AI defender makes a clearance .. 50-60yds directly to the feet of thier teammate

My Defender makes a clearance .. it travels 3 feet, directly to the feet of the opposition

how not getting 25 sliders in the EXACT required position for each match results in good players playing like a bunch of useless farts

how defenders with low pace/match intelligence frequently beat attackers with good pace/match intelligence to loose balls, despite starting futher away from the ball than the attacking player

Obviously agree with everybody saying about defenders putting the ball out for corners/throws when there's barely any pressure. This is particularly annoying when I'm a goal down and my tactics couldn't be much more attacking based (Marcelo does it alot, I almost feel as if I should be able to make official warnings for it).

Also agree with whoever said about clearing corners with overhead kicks, Lucas tends to do this any time he's lucky enough to beat Masch or Gerrard in the MC battle.

One which bugs me is when I'm defending a one goal lead hard at the end of a game and after a corner Torres is on the break, with only the keeper to beat. The keeper comes out early and Torres takes it past him, but decides to head to the corner flag. I don't care what my tactics say, in this situation a player's intelligence should kick in to put the match away surely?

Centre-backs: forward runs "Mixed"

I believe that's the solution for that particular one, which comes when they have forward runs "Rarely".

Obviously agree with everybody saying about defenders putting the ball out for corners/throws when there's barely any pressure. This is particularly annoying when I'm a goal down and my tactics couldn't be much more attacking based (Marcelo does it alot, I almost feel as if I should be able to make official warnings for it).

Also agree with whoever said about clearing corners with overhead kicks, Lucas tends to do this any time he's lucky enough to beat Masch or Gerrard in the MC battle.

One which bugs me is when I'm defending a one goal lead hard at the end of a game and after a corner Torres is on the break, with only the keeper to beat. The keeper comes out early and Torres takes it past him, but decides to head to the corner flag. I don't care what my tactics say, in this situation a player's intelligence should kick in to put the match away surely?

I agree with everything you say, and especially the last bit made me laugh. I've never actually seen it though.

the one about striker going to the corner flag used to happen to me loads on fm07

but mine was slightly different

my striker could be past the opposition defence , about to be 1 v 1 with the goalie

but instead of running toward goal for a shot or whatever....

he runs toward the corner flag , but not to time waste

but to shoot from the most acute angle

those sort of moments would leave me in shock

I hate it when the ball is on the byline and instead of controlling the ball or just leaving it to go out for a goalkick the defender touches it behind for a corner.

Thats the worst one for me.

Why? Because SI "fixed" the bogus way corners were conceded constantly in FM07 by unforced errors or headers with this.

I hate it when the ball is on the byline and instead of controlling the ball or just leaving it to go out for a goalkick the defender touches it behind for a corner.
What I really dont understand about the match engine, and I've seen this many times, is that goalkeepers seem to be able to make a save on almost the edge of the box and tap it over the goal. Personally I think that it is physically impossible to do that, since the speed of a shot will be attenuated when the GK taps the ball and therefore it will lose altitude and would drop in or in front of the goal, even if he would tap it upwards. Or am I thinking about this in too much detail?

IMHO it would be more realstic if a GK taps the ball to the side when he makes a safe on almost the edge of the box.

Its possible especially if the shot is risng with power- as a keeper myself your only just redirecting the ball without taking the power out of the shot.

Watch a game and see how far the ball carries when keepers tip stinging shots over the bar.

Oh one thing that I cant believe still exists- the floating ball. Ball speed especially when its in the air is ridiclously slow.

I suspect this is deliberate as SI can pad out the game with slower ball movement- its looks rubbish especially crosses that appear to be in slow motion.

Archived