FM12 Arsenal Thread - Life after Cesc

llama3

Most of the people in here are preferring the 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. Has anybody tried the diamond out considering the fact that normally in FM, Walcott plays better upfront as poacher than on the wings?

I alternate between the typical Arsenal 4-2-3-1 and a narrow 4-1-2-1-2 diamond. Walcott definitely plays better as a poacher, and he does it so well that it's important to get him playing time up front, but Gervinho is excellent on the left wing cutting inside, so I don't like the idea of switching permanently to the diamond, even if he could retrain well to a striker. Typically, I use the diamond in tougher matches (usually away to strong opposition), and/or in matches where Walcott's pace is better used running at/through the CBs rather than on the wing. The lack of space hasn't proved to be an issue, but you'll want to make sure you have the team play with enough width to compensate for the narrow setup. It's definitely a viable formation, with Song obviously as the anchor man (backed up by Coquelin and Frimpong), Arteta and Ramsey in central midfield (both Advanced Playmakers, Arteta as Attack and Ramsey as Support), and Arshavin as the AMC (backed up by Benayoun and Rosicky, and eventually replaced by Wilshere).

If you intend to use the diamond long-term, you'll want to shop for quality midfield depth; Diaby is a good backup, but he's the only real option unless you get good PA from your youth (and even then it'll take at least 2-3 years before the likes of Aneke or Ozyakup aren't a liability in the first team). I bought Kovacic for long-term depth at AMC behind Wilshere (and to replace Rosicky), Henriksen to back up Ramsey (and to replace Denilson), and Badelj to overtake Arteta (and to maybe replace Diaby, haven't fully decided on whether to get rid of him).

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After what everyone has just witnessed on skysports two, no-one is allowed to sell RvP while playing as Arsenal if you're an Arsenal fan :) He has to retire at the team, you have to offer him a position as coach and however bad he is, he has to stay there until he leaves the whole game.

Or is that just me that's doing it?

Seems like a huge waste of valuable PA to get Wilshere, a potentially fantastic AMC, to play as a decent DMC. I'd recommend trying to get the best out of the players you have, rather than conform them to a system that doesn't capitalize on their abilities. Arsenal don't start with personnel suited to a 4-2-3-1 with two DMCs, but if you want a more defensive formation than a 4-2-3-1 with 2 MCs, have you considered a 4-3-3 (one DMC, two MCs)? Wilshere and Ramsey in midfield with Song behind them is a solid setup. Not sure why you got Boateng.

OK so In January 2014

League: Pretty tight up top. 5th place Spurs on 47 points whilst top Chelsea are on 54 points. I'm sitting in 3rd with 50 points

League Cup: In the semi Final against Liverpool, won first home leg 3-1 and drew 1-1 at Anfield, so through to face my bogey team Wolves who eliminated Man City on penalties

Champions League: Played a perfect group stage with 6 outta 6 wins. Got an extremely difficult tie against Real Madrid :(

Transfers: Tom Cairney, Mikel Arteta and Seamus Coleman all wanting to leave, the latter 2 have left, but I'm holding onto Cairney. Signed a 25 year old German regen called Heinz Muller, who looks the business. So he is Arteta's replacement, however his debut was a 2-0 defeat to 10 man Villa. Seem to struggle against teams who go a man down, not shouting bug though :D

So after the game earlier I just had to set off on another Arsenal adventure, there's going to be no transfers though as I've turned off first window budgets.

This is my ideal XI:

arsenaltacticsoverview2.png

Hopefully one of the wingers gets injured though so Miyaichi can start.

What is Miyaichi's PA btw if anyone knows? :)

I think it's a

and if it is I'll be really disappointed.

Yes, you are right AF, Miyaichi's PA is

I was disappointed too, in all honesty. A few people have complained about it in the Data Issues forum etc. but, it's, apparently, due to a lack of first-team football. The argument against that was why are people like Raheem Sterling and Robbie Cotton getting [see PA's below] when they havn't played any form of senior football as of yet and Miyaichi had numerous games in the Eredivisie in which he excelled. It's a bit unfair in all honesty.

Sterling and Cotton are both -9's

:thdn:

Our youth are so awful on this :D

Might actually get up FMRTE and edit Miyaichi's to something acceptable, sure it's cheating but that PA could see him end up as a reserve player/

I thought the Feyenoord fans said he was one of their best players last year, maybe I'm dreaming!

I know, especially our U19's. Half of them have random PA's, not for the first time, and there's a pretty bgig argument about it in the Data Issues Forum.

That would be the best thing to do :D I'm not going to wait for 12.3 to come out where he's been boosted by a minuscule amount. Yes, the Dutch media were going crazy about him! Calling him 'Ryodinho', 'Ryozihno' and likening him to Cristiano Ronaldo too :thup:

To be fair to the Arsenal researcher, he wouldn't have rated Miyaichi. The Dutch researchers would have.

I can see both sides of the arguments, really, and this probably isn't the place for that sort of debate. It'd be easier to go into the editor and change things to suit your preferences or, if enough people want it, release a database with altered PA's for youth players.

Personally, I think a lot of Arsenal's youth has fair ratings and it's only one or two I disagree with.

myachi is underrated but the youth in fm generally are, bar a few players in each good academy

look at the likes of aneke for example

started a new game with the update, not made any big signings yet...just the standard minimum fee releases etc

not sure whether to go for an aml or not, our team is pretty stacked on this years game in most positions except rb

To be fair to the Arsenal researcher, he wouldn't have rated Miyaichi. The Dutch researchers would have.

I can see both sides of the arguments, really, and this probably isn't the place for that sort of debate. It'd be easier to go into the editor and change things to suit your preferences or, if enough people want it, release a database with altered PA's for youth players.

Personally, I think a lot of Arsenal's youth has fair ratings and it's only one or two I disagree with.

Indeed...as I have done. A few tweaks to CA & PA but 5 points here and there for the kids, but mostly just getting their positions and attributes a little better. I have tried complaining about the lack of detail on almost anyone outside our first team squad in the data thread, and have offered to help flesh this out for the last 2 or 3 years (even in terms of relative strengths or positions as opposed to potential or absolute ratings), but deaf ears so far. So i do it myself. Although the likes of Meade may never be good enough, i would like to have him at least able to play in his actual position. For me the preponderance of blank ratings for most of the players under 19 is lazy, as there is so much video and web evidence of at least relative capacity. I'm not asking for the days when the academy was full of -9s or -10s, but a little more detail would be good. That said, i have frequently mentioned my opinion that the current rating scales for younger players are inadequate, as is the model of youth development - in that there has been no significant change for a number of years, and still feels a little too pre-determined. Rant over!

On my new save, I have loads of leagues loaded, so the likes of Tiago on loan isn't happening, so my big signing for £8.5 has been ex-Reading star Gylfi Sigurdsson from Hoffenheim. Always liked him for the royals, and he has UK Home-grown status, and his dead ball skills help with a deficiency in the current squad. That and at 6"1 he adds some much needed height to the midfield. Will be interesting how he gets on. Other than that, lots of kids, and Malbranque & Moras on frees. Squillachi has gone on loan to everton, and I'm keeping an eye on Cahill. Also going to pick up on of the freebie right backs as cover.

Just started with arsenal, want to spend my £43mil wisely.....

Think the positions that need strengthening are GK, DC and DM. Just signed N'Zonzi for DM, was looking at bringing Lass Diarra back but Real wanted £28mil :o so decided against that and brought in N'Zonzi for a more reasonable £8.5mil one because i like him IRL and he doesnt look too bad and is young enough so should improve. Not sure on what goalie but can anyone recommend a decent CB ? I have bidded for Vorsah a pretty decent quick CB, but dont know whether i should go and spend £15 mil on someone i know will be ace !

Also just got Christian Eriksen for £10mil :)

Got Violated by Chelsea and Wolves (league cup final) Chelsea because my defence turned to **** and Wolves because Criscito decided to one again get sent off in an important match. Fined 2 eeks wages, called him a tit and transfer listed him :thup:

Just about to start my second season with Arsenal.

1st season - came 3rd in the League, knocked out in QF of the CL to Barca.

My squad seems to be shaping up nicely now, transfers so far:

1st Season:

In:

Wilfried (£5m)

Kevin-Prince Boateng (£31m)

Gregory van der Wiel (£13m)

Lucas Moura (£40m)

Out:

Andrey Arshavin (£7m)

Tomas Rosicky (£2.8m)

Manuel Almunia (£1.8m)

Marouane Chamakh (£9.5m)

Abou Diaby (£8m)

Bacary Sagna (£20m)

Lukasz Fabianski (£1.4m)

Sanchez Watt (Loan)

Zak Ansah (Loan)

Rhys Murphy (Loan)

Alex Chamberlain (Loan)

Start of 2nd season:

In:

John Flanagan (£5.75m)

Steven N'Zonzi (£7m)

Radja Nainggolan (£8m)

Jose Enrique (£20m)

Out:

Andre Santos (£6.25m)

Park Chu-Young (£3m)

Carlos Vela (£4m)

Nicklas Bendtner (£3m)

Arteta also on his way out (£7.75m) and Mertesacker to Bayern (£10m).

Carlos Fierro is joining in July for £3.5m

Just started with arsenal' date=' want to spend my £43mil wisely.....

Think the positions that need strengthening are GK, DC and DM. Just signed N'Zonzi for DM, was looking at bringing Lass Diarra back but Real wanted £28mil :o so decided against that and brought in N'Zonzi for a more reasonable £8.5mil one because i like him IRL and he doesnt look too bad and is young enough so should improve. Not sure on what goalie but can anyone recommend a decent CB ? I have bidded for Vorsah a pretty decent quick CB, but dont know whether i should go and spend £15 mil on someone i know will be ace !

Also just got Christian Eriksen for £10mil :)[/quote']

You don't need a goalkeeper, really. Szczesy will develop into a very good keep and is good enough to start, while Fabiasnki is more than capable backup.

Does anyone else think Alex Chamberlain can play a role in the first season? I only ask as he has come off the bench in pre season and has really impressed me. Also I was thinking of spending my whole budget, would you say its wise to spend it on Tevez? £50m Man City have accepted but I just feel a bit guilty if I sign him! :(

Certainly. Maybe not a starting role but, he could be very effective in Carling and FA Cup games and possibly one or two low-key Premier League games. It can only help him in the long-term too; development wise.

When I get my save going, I'll definitely look to use him :thup: As for Tevez, I know FM'ers who've got him for 20 million so, 50 million would be a bit crazy.

On a side note, has anyone got the mighty RVP to play aswell as he is in real-life? :D

Does anyone else think Alex Chamberlain can play a role in the first season? I only ask as he has come off the bench in pre season and has really impressed me.

Absolutely! In 2011-12 for me, The Ox had the following stats: 24 apps (7 subs), 10 goals, 9 assists, 3 Man of the Match awards, 7.19 average rating. He was forced into the first team due to a long-term injury to Walcott, and he sometimes had runs of a couple games where he underperformed, but overall he was solid if not outright good, and definitely promising for the future.

Also I was thinking of spending my whole budget, would you say its wise to spend it on Tevez? £50m Man City have accepted but I just feel a bit guilty if I sign him! :(

Tevez is absolutely not worth it. He plays exactly the same role as the most important player at Arsenal (van Persie), costs a fortune in transfer fees, and he'll ruin your wage structure because your other high profile players will want comparable wages. Between Chamakh, Walcott, Park, and the strikers on loan (especially Wellington Silva), Arsenal don't need a striker, but if you want one, it's much wiser to get a young one for the future (i.e. Niang) rather than someone who will take playing time away from your best player. I'd recommend spending your transfer budget on several players to add strength in depth, since Arsenal's first team isn't an issue.

Absolutely! In 2011-12 for me, The Ox had the following stats: 24 apps (7 subs), 10 goals, 9 assists, 3 Man of the Match awards, 7.19 average rating. He was forced into the first team due to a long-term injury to Walcott, and he sometimes had runs of a couple games where he underperformed, but overall he was solid if not outright good, and definitely promising for the future.

Tevez is absolutely not worth it. He plays exactly the same role as the most important player at Arsenal (van Persie), costs a fortune in transfer fees, and he'll ruin your wage structure because your other high profile players will want comparable wages. Between Chamakh, Walcott, Park, and the strikers on loan (especially Wellington Silva), Arsenal don't need a striker, but if you want one, it's much wiser to get a young one for the future (i.e. Niang) rather than someone who will take playing time away from your best player. I'd recommend spending your transfer budget on several players to add strength in depth, since Arsenal's first team isn't an issue.

Thanks for your advice Llew and Kizofieva :), I saw sense and decided not to bother with Tevez, I decided I wanted another central defender so I went for Chiellini and managed to get him for £24m, would you say he is worth the price? Just looking for a holding midfielder really to cover Song, was looking at M'Vila whats he like as never bought him before? Signed Vjasrjko (sp?) the young croat as Jenkinsons not ready yet, I think I am done with signings hopefully i can challenge for the Premiersihp :).

Update

End of First Season

League Cup - Winners

FA Cup - 4th Round

Champions League - Quater Finals

Premier League - 3rd (83 points)

H Newcastle 3-1 - Gervinho, Ramsey, Vermaelen

A Everton 1-1 - Gervinho

H Tottenham 3-1 - van Persie (2), Walcott

H Aston Villa 3-0 - Diaby (2), Park

H Chelsea 0-1 - (UCL)

A QPR 0-0

A Chelsea 0-1 - (UCL)

H Man City 4-2 - Walcott (3), Gervinho

A Wolves 1-1 - Walcott

H Wigan 1-1 - Walcott

H Chelsea 2-0 - Koscielny (2)

A Stoke 2-1 - Walcott, Vermaelen

H Norwich 2-0 - Gervinho

A West Brom 0-0

I'm actually genuinely confused as to why anyone would sell Bacary Sagna and Thomas Vermaelen, but I guess people can buy and sell who they like.

Still, someone like Theo Walcott should go for more than just £8.25mil. You could probably get £20mil for him if you tried.

I'm actually genuinely confused as to why anyone would sell Bacary Sagna and Thomas Vermaelen, but I guess people can buy and sell who they like.

Still, someone like Theo Walcott should go for more than just £8.25mil. You could probably get £20mil for him if you tried.

i rate them both extremely highly. both are first XI players, and them 2 and szczesny made more appearances than anyone else last season

Interesting signings Luke, none of your obvious names brought in. How are your ball winning midfielders doing? I play Song or Coquelin in that position/role, as I don't usually play anyone in the DM position, their ratings are average there but I manage to control the midfield usually, even against good opposition. What did you do with le Coq by the way?

Since my last post I've restarted my Arsenal save; the experimental 3-at-the-back formation I was using was too far-fetched, and got continually found out even by weak teams.

This time my only first team signing was going to be Nicolas Gaitan (who despite an early injury has come into the team in September and set it alight), however after a painful 2-1 loss to Spurs just before the window closed I also panic-bought Marek Hamsik on deadline day. He's been a solid, no-nonsense DLP, often getting 95-100% passing accuracy in 90 minutes. Arteta has been assisting for fun as an AP behind the striker, but I haven't yet got any of my strikers scoring, with RvP getting niggling injuries, Chamakh has been good when called upon. Park got a long-termer in training in August, and I haven't really given Theo a go at it yet.

I've also found Gibbs to be more reliable than Santos so far, despite his underwhelming attributes. Santos will probably leave next summer along with Arshavin who hasn't got a look in really. In the first window I only sold Almunia and Mannone, promoting Martinez to 3rd choice straight off the bat, as I'd like to develop him.

So my first choice team so far has been:

-------van Persie-------

Gaitan--Arteta--Gervinho

------Hamsik-Song------

Gibbs-------------Sagna

--Vermaelen--Koscielny--

-------Szczesny--------

After 8 games I'm 5th W5, D1, L2, including a pleasing 2-1 win over Manchester City at the Emirates. West Brom, bizarrely, are top of the league, while United are 2nd, unbeaten but with 4 draws. All the other big teams have taken at least 2 defeats.

Also won 2 and lost 1 to top my CL group at the half way mark, and struggled to a 3-1 (aet) victory over Wycombe in the Carling Cup with the reserves out.

Gotta start again tonight, after one season realised that I hadn't sorted the German and Japan national team's :mad:

How do you fix this ? I played through the whole of Fm11 with the sides out, but not started a game on the new one yet so would rather do it before i do.

thanks

How do you fix this ? I played through the whole of Fm11 with the sides out, but not started a game on the new one yet so would rather do it before i do.

thanks

Not allowed to discuss it on the forums as it breaks a licensing rule mate.

what is hamsiks best role?

Assistant says MC deep lying playmaker. I've used him as MCL, deep lying playmaker on support duty. He plays next to a ball winning midfielder, and behind an advanced playmaker, who are also both on support. The AMC is set as my main playmaker.

With this set up Hamsik has been a really dependable continuity midfielder, averaging about 6.9, he doesn't do anything flashy for me at all, I think he may have one assist in 6 games. Like I said his pass completion stats are superb, he just keeps possession, which is basically what I want from him in my team. Think like a better version of Denilson IRL.

He's certainly been better than Ramsey for me, who was previously playing that role.

Am I the only one finding a lack of decent regens? I currently only have two prospects that will be good enough for first team football one who I poached from France and another from my own youth academy. I love developing youth but my assistant and scouts never seem to find anyone with much potential unless they have a gaping hole in their stats.

Finally able to continue playing, and was rewarded with a dramatic victory over Manchester United in the Community Shield. Javier Hernandez scored in the third minute, and we missed chances the entire game, but a corner in injury time at the end of the match led to a 93rd minute equalizing header from Thomas Vermaelen. A penalty shootout ensued, and Szczesny saved all three of their shots! Arsenal win the Community Shield, 1-1 draw (3-0 on penalties). Of course that trophy is entirely unimportant, but beating United is always enjoyable, and the manner of victory was great.

With respect to Sagna, I wouldn't be too keen on selling him either as RB's in the game who are great going forward and equally adept at defending are hard to come buy. It's no co-incidence that the likes of Real Madrid and Man City want Sagna. But an offer of £25m+ would turn my head now, especially as Djourou has grown into a fantastic Right Back.

As for Vermaelen, he was displaced on my file early on. So when a late August bid that I negotiated to £17.25m + % add on, I was happy to sell him on knowing a CB is far easier to replace. In his place I brought in a younger player for less money who has a brilliant average rating. That's footballing and business sense.

I'm guessing you haven't actually tried to sell Walcott in the first window. £20m is a pipe dream, I offered him out for £15m and there were no teams sniffing. £8.25m was the best I could do, and I was happy with that as he had no place in my system. He's played 15 Games for Sunderland, scoring 3 goals and assisting 2. Against me he played up top alone.

Just have a look at the screen shots below and tell me what you think of my decisions in hindsight.

I've no qualms with your decisions. As I said, who you sell and who you buy is entierely your own prerogative and whether I agree or disagree is irrelevant. I've just never been one to sell a player just because a high bid comes in, unless the player doesn't fit into the system I'm playing, someone I deem surplus to requirements or wants to leave. Anything otherwise I just see as a rather needless turnover.

Evidently, you're doing very well.

Archived