Chelsea 2011/12 Thread

Philip Rolfe

Lukaku would be third choice I'm guessing. Torres first, Drogba second, Lukaku third with Sturridge back out on loan. I'm assuming Anelka will be seen as a wide player this season, one who can cover the main striker in an injury crisis.

I agree that some creativity and pace should be the next things we look for. I don't think there's much wrong with our squad though, it's definitely tweaking and preparing for the future rather than a full on overhaul.

I hope so. I was thinking that all last season and tbh I think the disappointment from last season makes me think we were worse than we were. As bad as we were if we had beaten United at Old Trafford we could have won the title. It was closer than it turned out in the end, even with us playing that badly.

I personally think it we should send Lukaku out on loan at this point in his career and a Prem move would be great for him. I think he needs to be more than a third choice if Torres and Drogba aren't doing it. This is of course unless we play 2 up front, then he may have much more of a chance. Sturridge I hope we either decide we are going to use or AVB thinks he needs one more season of loan then we will try him then that's fine as long as we use him.

Although the defence looked shakey at times last year I still think it one of the best in the league and if Luiz cuts out a few flaws then it will be even better. The midfield I think needs adding to it someone like Modric to add a bit of creativity and to act as a bit of a metronome in midfield to keep everything ticking over. Then up front I still think we need something new on the wings unless Anelka and Malouda can get back to their best or if Sturridge is utilised there. Overall a winger and a creative midfielder would probably sort our squad. We have a few youth prospects to try and develop as well.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose that's a good point. If he can't play then why give him the chance. Arguably though there is no other time to see how he is getting on and giving him a chance in the first team.

Was hoping for a couple more goals from this game so far tbh. Gotta go catch the bus back to my home town in a bit so I will miss the rest.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see the first 50 min, only started watching the game 5min into second half. From what I seen, Chelsea weren't impressive. How did they play in the first 50min? I was out cutting grass, thats why I missed the first 50min :(

Loosely translated Courtois quote: "From the way A. Madrid negotiated with Chelsea and my manager, I got the impression that they were really keen on signing me."

So no real confirmation either way, but I guess Chelsea won't pay 9m for a goalkeeper, and then loan him out to a team without making some arrangements which will see their investment pay off. Atletico Madrid were interested in buying Courtois themselves btw, but couldn't pay what Chelsea were ready to offer (they reportedly offered 5-6m).

http://www.atleticofans.com/8598/courtois-ill-be-presented-tomorrow/

Courtois: “I’ll be presented tomorrow”

The 19-year-old goalkeeper confirms move to Atlético

thibaut-courtois1.jpg

Courtois forced his exit from Genk (Voetbal.be)

Thibaut Courtois confirmed in an interview with TV Limburg that he is joining Atlético Madrid on loan.

The 19-year old goalkeeper is currently on the way to Madrid and will be presented on Friday. Neither Chelsea, who signed the youngster for €9m last week, nor Atlético have officially announced the temporary transfer.

The Belgian teenager admitted that interest shown in him by Caminero in the weeks before his transfer to Chelsea were key in his decision to move to Atleti.

“[Atlético] made an attempt to sign me and from the attention shown it was clear that they have a lot of faith in me,” Courtois said.

“I believe I’ll be well-received by the club which will help me to settle in okay. I had various options. I could’ve chosen to stay at Genk, but I decided to move to Madrid.”

The teen sensation leaves his former club in controversial fashion. He forced his way out by not turning up for a club organised fan event and refused to play a friendly against Olympique Lyon, which made Genk decide to sell their ‘keeper.

“It’s a week before Genk’s first European game and I feel like I’m abandoning the club,” he said.

“We had to force the transfer a little, which is a shame because I played here for 11 years and spent more time at the club than with my own family.”

He continued: “I’ve already said goodbye to my team-mates and the coaching staff on Tuesday. I hope to be able to return and say farewell to the fans as well.

“Genk have great fans who have supported me from day one, and I hope to be able to thank them.”

Courtois will become Atleti’s sixth signing of the season. At this moment the details of the loan are unknown, but it is believed the goalie will join us for two seasons. The deal possibly includes a fine for every time Courtois does not start for Atlético.

Not sure on the credibility of this last part btw.

Really not happy with that at all. Hinders both Joel and Asenjo whilst developing a player for Chelsea. Also why do people keep saying Asenjo is current first choice as it is infact Joel.

• Administrators
I wonder if Billy Clifford and Kakuta will be some of the players who are going out on loan this season.

Kakuta probably. Clifford not likely until new year, as he's still 18. A look at loaning trends in recent years suggests nobody below 19 gets loaned.

Would be great if that last part of that Courtois article is true :D

We did it with Rhys Taylor at Crewe last year, so it's probably the case.

Bossy's eyebrows give me a fright everytime!

Same. Definitely the worst monobrow I've ever seen.

In other news; Villa Boas has denied that Chelsea have made a bid for Lukaku. Not sure if he's just trying to attract attention away from it or not, but I hope he's telling the truth. Think he'd be a waste of money at this moment in time.

So we've confirmed a deal for Oriol Romeu from Barca, just need to agree personal terms and a medical. I don't know much about him really, anybody seen much of him? How much will he be involved with the first team do we think, or will he be loaned out?

Also looks like Drogs is getting a one-year extension.

Romeu looks like an exciting prospect, unless Mikel goes and Romeu becomes first choice, then he'll get considerable playing time.

Buy-back clause is interesting though, not likely that Romeu will get a starting place at the Nou Camp even if Xavi begins to decline because of age.

Are Villas-Boas and Chelsea really seriously interested in signing Hulk?

There seem to have lots of rumors that they will make an offer for him in the near future.

It is a position we need to reinforce, but the Hulk rumours I heard were from a fortnight ago... I thought there was some ridiculous release clause or something.

He has, 100m Euros, I think. But I doubt Porto really expect anyone to ever pay that, probably would agree to sell for much less (but still very high fee).

Those rumors I mentioned are not in any major news site, so could be just recycled ones, which is why I asked about them here.

I doubt it will be Moutinho. Unless AVB really thinks he is worth the 35million that they would want for him.

Happy with signing Romeu and it will be nice to see him play this season. Now we need to push on and sign a creative midfielder and a winger imo. Seen rumours in the Daily Mail (I know) of Sturridge being part of a swap deal for Modric. I want to have both of them at the club. Also read on Sky Sports us, City and Roma are the main one's in for Pastore and supposedly we are favorites.

Also will be at work for this friendly and the next one which is pretty annoying but hopefully we can play a lot better than last time and get some goals.

Archived