Chelsea 2011/12 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Administrators

United haven't strengthened or developed really, they've replaced parts with younger players but it remains to be seen how much of an impact they'll get. De Gea for van der Sar, Jones for Brown and O'Shea, and Young effectively for Scholes although he's not a direct positional replacement.

Yes they've replaced old players but in two cases they had no other choice but to, they were retiring. They were also players MUCH older than anyone we've got at the club.

That said, we do clearly need players because the squad is so small and it makes sense to make them younger additions, but I don't see a reason to panic right now.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How likely is there will be no more spending? Looks very unlikely to me personally. Just a matter of patience as I see it. It's better for AVB to test all of the players he's got and get a fair review of them and then decide who (if) to buy. Man Utd and other major clubs all have the same managers they had last year. They already know what they need to strenghten really.

Who do you guys see our first choice right back being this season? So far Ivanvoic has been used solely at centre back, so I'm wondering if AVB sees that as his best role and will use Bosingwa or possible Luiz as our first choice right back.

• Administrators

Ivanovic has been used at CB because Luiz is away and Alex is injured. Plus, I'm not sure how strong Rajkovic's English is, that'll have been a factor. Ferreira, Clifford and Bosingwa is enough for RB on the tour.

Ah fair enough, thought that Rajkovic would've been used more with Ivanvoic at RB if AVB saw him there longer term, didn't think about Rajkovic's language barrier. Still, who do we think will be first choice? I did think that RB would be a position we would look to strengthen

3x central midfielders (one of them will be Romeu) and Adam Johnson would do.
3 CM's? I think Romeu and Pastore would be enough. We've already got quite a lot of CM's and Josh is trying to break through to the first team. Would like to see another winger join the club.

3 CM's? I think Romeu and Pastore would be enough. We've already got quite a lot of CM's and Josh is trying to break through to the first team. Would like to see another winger join the club.

Agreed, I think 2 new CM's (one being Romeu, one a Modric/Pastore type) and a new winger is a must. Wouldn't mind a new right back either.

I personally think the only player who has moved so far this summer I would have liked us to sign was Sanchez, but even if we had have gone in with silly money get the impression he would have gone to Barca anyway given the choice. Don't think Man U will really be any stronger next season than last, without Scholes and if De Gea struggles to settle in his first season abroad then they could be weaker. Arsenal could still see a key player or two leaving and although City looking like they will get Aguero now, they can't play all 25 of their strikers at the same time you know...

If AVB has found a way to get Bosingwa back to his best, and we do as expected sign a midfield playmaker, then I really think all we really need is a right winger or two. It would be silly to sign another striker at the moment as we have too many at the moment and seriously need to ship Anelka and probably Kalou out before even thinking of signing anybody for that position.

Would be very happy with Johnson, but as has already been said I can't see it happening. What is City's homegrown position like? Surely they don't have that many English players to spare as well as not wanting to sell to a rival club.

Is Rajkovic eligible to play in competitive matches?

Not yet, still has no work permit. Apparently Boas wants him in the squad, and we're offering him a new deal. If he doesn't get a WP this time, he'll be loaned out again to a dutch team

Everyone's saying we need an Modric-type playmaker, but isn't that basically what Benayoun does? He's not as dynamic, being older, but has a terrific eye for a through ball and has worked with Torres before, which could be important. Another central midfielder would be handy to cover for Essien's injury, but our current set of Mikel, Lampard, Ramires, Benayoun, Essien, McEachran and possibly Oriol Romeu is fine to my mind, assuming our physios can earn their money this season and hold off on the usual injury crises. As everyone says, a winger needs to be our priority IMO.

no way yossi can play as a centre midfielder, which is what modric has been doing for spurs and what a presume you'd want him to do for you. yossi hasn't gotten any defensive abilitys at all really. not strong enough, can't tackle, can't pick up runners or follow play defensively in general and you'd not benefit from his strengths in and around the box with him playing deeper.

i honestly don't know why you don't just stump up the cash and get modric. it didn't seem a problem for torres and it's not like you desperately needed him.

sell anelka and zhirkov to cover some of the costs and go into the new season with a modric, lampard, ramires/mikel midfield. simples.

Yeah not quite sure it will happen within the next few hours as Zamp has it. Cannot say I have seen much of Pastore at all, would be an interesting signing, especially for the price.

Thought the Romeu signing was a reserve player, not going to go straight into the first team?

Think we need a wide player, but maybe AVB intends to play Sturrdige (great goal today btw) as a wider player.

no way yossi can play as a centre midfielder, which is what modric has been doing for spurs and what a presume you'd want him to do for you. yossi hasn't gotten any defensive abilitys at all really. not strong enough, can't tackle, can't pick up runners or follow play defensively in general and you'd not benefit from his strengths in and around the box with him playing deeper.

i honestly don't know why you don't just stump up the cash and get modric. it didn't seem a problem for torres and it's not like you desperately needed him.

sell anelka and zhirkov to cover some of the costs and go into the new season with a modric, lampard, ramires/mikel midfield. simples.

I know he's not up to much defensively, but I'm sure he used to play occasionally in as an advanced CM for Liverpool, didn't he?

Gregory Van Der Wiel is a very good option, natural RB just as good as Ivanovic, fits the Chelsea mould just fine but apart from him there are very few quality full-backs in the world which teams can get on the cheap. Someone do enlighten me if I'm incorrect on this one.

Samuel Inkoom.

Is he any good irl? For Dnipro on FM he's good anyway :D

Would be very happy with Pastore but like Care Free said I have only really seen him on youtube. Clearly he has talent and no doubt other clubs than just us and PSG wanted him. Maybe he won't play in midfield like skybluedave said but I can't think we would spend this much money on someone who wouldn't fit in with the way AVB wants to play. Maybe he will play like Beluschi did at Porto? I read in one of those AVB things that Beluschi played on the right of the midfield 3 and used to push forward when the wingers pushed out? Or maybe he will play CM pushing higher up the pitch. If anything having him playing off Torres could surely only benefit Torres and Pastore?

Would another centre back do? Ivanovic has seemed a good right back.
Really would be against us getting another CB. Terry + Luiz = CBs , Ivanovic = RB/CB and then we've got Chalobo and Bruma coming through. So I could see in the future our 2 CB's = Chalobo + Bruma with Luiz playing RB.

Archived