Chelsea 2011/12 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bought on 14.9.2009 when he just turned 17 and was loaned to Inter Zaprešić until he reached 18. Then loaned to Vitesse and at 20.8. he'll turn 19.

Seems legal to me, surprised someone of his talent didn't flourish at Vitesse.

Im hoping we see a bit more activity in the transfer window pretty soon. Obviously for all we know a change of manager and a manager like AVB could make the same team from last year perform a lot better however I hope we make some signings. In an ideal world I would like to see us bring in a midfielder (maybe even 2?) and a pacy skillfull winger who doesn't always drift inside and change the shape of the team, maybe even a defender as well. If we don't sign anyone in these positions I will be disappointed but at the same time I will trust AVB that he believes those players can still produce the goods, and I bloody hope they can.

I think we've got quite a lot of central midfielders atm, the wings is where I think needs to be strengthened. There's talk of Parker moving on a permanent deal back to Chelsea? Not sure if it would be a good deal for us he's 30 (ish) and will cost apparently around about £7.5M

Don't think we've got many central midfielders at all tbh, for a team that uses a 4-3-3 throughout the club. Mikel, Ramires, Lampard, with Benayoun and McEachran is it for the first half of the season at least, think there's definitely one more to add there. Modric would of course be perfect.

Drogba, Torres, Anelka and Sturridge for strikers, with Anelka is leaving then another (preferrably wide) player should be brought in, someone like Zhirkov for the right hand side. Then of course there's Malouda, Kalou and Zhirkov for wide positions, all three offer very different options and are good squad players.

Defensively we're probably one player off what we need as well. The left is sorted with Cole and Bertrand, possibly Van Aanholt if needed. Then right back with Ivanovic and possibly Bosingwa, or a straight replacement if he's leaving. Ferreira can fo. Terry, Luiz and Alex and another young centre back to go into the season with please. No one that will command a first team spot though, that would be overkill.

I did think, despite the whole team being rubbish, our midfield didn't create enough for us last year. I can't remember many games that we lost or drew because we had so many chances and didn't convert them up front compared to not creating anything noteworthy at all. Not saying the strikers and wingers didn't perform either but they weren't helped by the midfield lacking some creativity.

I would personally love Modric in the team as he fits the bill perfectly for me and then a creative winger as well. Who this winger is I really don't know as Neymar isn't going to us, Sanchez is off to Barca? How many other options are there? Can probably think of a few but just being lazy atm :D

Oh yeah and if we sign Lukaku then how they bloody hell is he going to fit in? Personally I would be very happy to watch him have another season on loan at Anderlecht or maybe even another foreign league slightly better than Belgium. Say Holland or even France. Wonder if Bolton would be interested in loaning him for a season?

What's the likelihood of Nate getting some actual first team appearances this season? Obviously he's only 16 so we don't want to rush him etc but it would be nice if he was involved in something like the Carling Cup just to get some experience. Also hoping the likes of McEachran and Bertrand can have a bit more playing time this year as it would be nice to bring through some homegrown talent that isn't just John Terry :D

What's the likelihood of Nate getting some actual first team appearances this season? Obviously he's only 16 so we don't want to rush him etc but it would be nice if he was involved in something like the Carling Cup just to get some experience. Also hoping the likes of McEachran and Bertrand can have a bit more playing time this year as it would be nice to bring through some homegrown talent that isn't just John Terry :D
I'd think Nate will be playing in the Carling cup, and maybe next season he'll be sent out on loan. I expect to see McEachran playing a good few games this season, not sure if Bertrand will get many games, hoping he does.

• Administrators

If we get a favourable Carling Cup or FA Cup draw, he'll play. Not sure he'll start, but he'll get some time, I'm almost certain.

Also certain Bertrand will be the backup left back, he chose to sign a new long term deal when he could've had his pick of clubs next summer (and therefore forced a move this summer so Chelsea got a fee). He's 22 so has to be registered now, which is more of a commitment from the club, but there's almost certainly assurances involved here.

The fact that they also signed PvA to a long term deal in March tells me Ash has 1 or 2 years tops left. He's said himself he doesn't see himself going past 34 or so, especially with his ankle, and whilst cynicism says the club just want to cover their arses with potential fees for good players, at left-back I'm inclined to think there's long-term planning.

Do you think he could make it and end up playing for the Chelsea first team?

I'm dubious to be honest. Nice player to watch, especially over the last year against his own age group and mentally he's terrific, he'll be a hard working, all effort pro, but unless something dramatic changes his ceiling isn't as high as Chelsea will need it to be.

I never get to see the youth team play, watched a good few of Chelsea's U15 squad come over to Northern Ireland to play in the Milk Cup. I remember the first year they came across, it had a brilliant squad, Jack Cork and Scott Sinclair were 2 of the players in the squad. I remember the match that they got put out in that year, it went to penalties and during the match Nana Ofori got sent off.

Last year in the 2010 Milk Cup, Chelsea won the U15 Junior section. There was a great winger in that side, he was probably the stand out player, very quick and could cross the ball well.

Sadly for this years 2011 Milk Cup which starts this week I think or maybe next week, Chelsea aren't entering a side for the Junior section (U15's) or the Premier section (U17's). :(

Oh and one of the players who was playing for Co. Derry or maybe Co. Antrim at the 2010 Milk Cup has signed for Glasgow Rangers.

http://www.nimilkcup.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74:milk-cup-star-aaron-off-to-rangers&catid=3:newsflash

I played against him while playing for my school football team in the year just past. It was our 6th form team against their 6th form team. So the teams had people from as young as 16 to as old as 18. I'm 17 but I can't remember when exactly the game was played, so if it was before Feb 5th then I was 16, on / after Feb 5th I was 17.

• Administrators
I never get to see the youth team play, watched a good few of Chelsea's U15 squad come over to Northern Ireland to play in the Milk Cup. I remember the first year they came across, it had a brilliant squad, Jack Cork and Scott Sinclair were 2 of the players in the squad. I remember the match that they got put out in that year, it went to penalties and during the match Nana Ofori got sent off.

Last year in the 2010 Milk Cup, Chelsea won the U15 Junior section. There was a great winger in that side, he was probably the stand out player, very quick and could cross the ball well.

Sadly for this years 2011 Milk Cup which starts this week I think or maybe next week, Chelsea aren't entering a side for the Junior section (U15's) or the Premier section (U17's). :(

That's because the 15s are at the Nike Cup Finals the week after and they think they've got an outstanding chance of winning that, so they've opted to focus on it.

That first year they went over they lost to Porto on penalties I seem to remember.

Who was the winger you're on about (or what did he look like)? Sounds like George Cole to me but last year's squad was exceptional.

That's because the 15s are at the Nike Cup Finals the week after and they think they've got an outstanding chance of winning that, so they've opted to focus on it.

That first year they went over they lost to Porto on penalties I seem to remember.

Who was the winger you're on about (or what did he look like)? Sounds like George Cole to me but last year's squad was exceptional.

The thing is on the program for Milk Cup 2010 Chelsea Squad the didn't have the numbers for the squad beside their name. I'm nearly certain it was Ismail Seremba and I remember John Swift did well also.

[video=youtube;iIF0JRYn6z4]

John Swift scored a nice goal in the final, 1:08 (I think).

Yeah I remember it was Porto and the manager of the U15's squad was Brendan Rodgers who I asked about maybe joining Chelsea. :p Was about 12 at the time I think.

I got both a Porto badge and a Chelsea badge from that game, both teams were handing them out so I went up and got them. I wonder if any of those Porto players is now in the first team at Porto..

And how did you find out that they are away at the Nike Cup Finals?

• Administrators

Ah, yeah Seremba makes some sense too. He's one of the new first year scholars along with half a dozen others from that squad.

The Porto squad was the next age group up, was an Under-18s team that year with Scott Sinclair.

Oh, and http://www.manchesterunitedpremiercup.com/road-to-manchester - although I have my ways. Alex Kiwomya's the star player in the team, he's just got an England Under-16 call-up.

Ah, yeah Seremba makes some sense too. He's one of the new first year scholars along with half a dozen others from that squad.

The Porto squad was the next age group up, was an Under-18s team that year with Scott Sinclair.

Oh, and http://www.manchesterunitedpremiercup.com/road-to-manchester - although I have my ways. Alex Kiwomya's the star player in the team, he's just got an England Under-16 call-up.

What? :confused: Milk Cup only has club age groups for U15 and U17. The U19 squad is international teams.

What's that website?

• Administrators

OK, Under-17 then, but you get my point. Rodgers' team that year was in the Premier section, and every year since they've sent an Elite team, which is much younger.

That website is for the Nike Cup Finals, which is how (or at least one of the ways) I know Chelsea qualified...

I would presume that he will either go out on loan or someone is leaving then? Because even if we played 2 up front with the current squad plus Lukaku he still may not get enough playing time and I can't see us going for 2 up front. Will be interesting to see who we go for after this. Still want a midfielder and a winger tbh, unless AVB can bring some consistency to Kalou's game. I do get frustrated with him as some games he plays he can do some great stuff but just not enough of the time.

Well everything so far has indicated he is staying. Although nobody has really looked like leaving yet. AVB says he's assessing the squad in Asia but I'd have thought he would have made his mind up on a few players already and just making sure. Otherwise we would only have a short time until the new season starts. Hoping we will sign another couple of players even if we sign Lukaku.

Lukaku would be third choice I'm guessing. Torres first, Drogba second, Lukaku third with Sturridge back out on loan. I'm assuming Anelka will be seen as a wide player this season, one who can cover the main striker in an injury crisis.

I agree that some creativity and pace should be the next things we look for. I don't think there's much wrong with our squad though, it's definitely tweaking and preparing for the future rather than a full on overhaul.

Archived