LAUREN's Arsenal Thread 2011/2012 - 125 Years of Greatness *sponsored by being BRILLIANT*

goon

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think AVB getting sacked is particularly good news for us. Satisfied with Newcastle getting a point as it's still two points gained. My concern is that we were very poor yesterday.

I considered the AVB sacking as well but didn't mention it, not sure that's good for us but then it really depends on who they bring in and whether the players at Chelsea start to get in to gear, I was really hoping they'd stick to him for a bit longer in all truth.

Milan on Tuesday and then Newcastle on the Monday after, two big games for us there. You just can't see us getting anywhere in that Milan tie, one away goal and we're out it's as simple as that so I seriously hope we're committed to the Newcastle game. Spurs to lose and continue the slump and then a win for us against Newcastle would be lovely.

3-0 to utd, damaging Spuds goal difference in the process. Brilliant.

We need to starting playing better aswell because we were lucky that Liverpool were terrible at putting the ball in the net.

11 to go in the league, next up newcastle at home. While spurs play everton away. :D

anyone else really worried/bricking it now Chelsea have sacked AVB? can see them suddenly winning a lot more games and generally picking up form/morale

Its a tough one because in theory chelsea should be winning alot more than they have, in reality it just hasn't happened. I think player power is too much of an issue at their club!

anyone else really worried/bricking it now Chelsea have sacked AVB? can see them suddenly winning a lot more games and generally picking up form/morale

Dunno, either way though when you look at the way their club is run and then compare it with ours we can be very proud of ourselves, even if are board is seemingly far from perfect at the moment.

Wenger has mentioned he may change the structure of the team to try and score more goals. So no doubt it will be 4-4-2. Song and Rosicky/Arteta in the centre midfield.

According to bbc.co.uk:

Provisional Squad: Szczesny, Sagna, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Gibbs, Song, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gervinho, Walcott, van Persie, Fabianski, Miquel, Djourou, Jenkinson, Chamakh, Park, Benayoun, Yennaris.

To the poster above who was worried about Di Matteo having a positve affect apparently he's disliked more than AVB :)

Also if I had to pick the team it would be

Ches, Yennaris, Kos, Djorou, Gibbs, Ox, Rosicky, Song, Gervinho, Chamakh, RVP

Worried about sagna & tv fitness?

• SI Staff

Ozyakup is in the squad, didn't play for the reserves today, doudt he'll start but we are obviously very short of centre mids.

Arteta is definitely out is he not, he said Rosicky was 50:50, which means we'll play him most likely/

Probably Rosicky -Song - Chambo in the centre. If no Rosicky then probably will bring Chamakh in. If hell freezes over Park may play!

Hoping that Özyakup gets the experience of playing in such an occasion, in front of 60,000 fans in the UEFA Champions League. It will only do him the world of good. Even if it's just five minutes at the end, the experience of coming on to, what I'm sure will be, a rasping reception must make your heart skip a beat and only make him more determined to experience such situations again and again. Big fan of Özyakup.

Anyway, If I was Arsène tomorrow, I would look to rest RVP, Song and Vermaelen. Yes, it's important that we don't embarrass ourselves once again, but surely finishing fourth in the league is now our priority? It would be marvelous though if we manage to scrape through tomorrow with a depleted squad :cool: I can dream...

Why would we play Özyakup?

I've got mixed feelings about that Llew, I think it's tempting to rest players but the romantic in me says lets go all out and win it 5-0. Not sure if I'll be able to watch yet, may or may not have a game myself tomorrow :mad:

Why would we play Özyakup?

I've got mixed feelings about that Llew, I think it's tempting to rest players but the romantic in me says lets go all out and win it 5-0. Not sure if I'll be able to watch yet, may or may not have a game myself tomorrow :mad:

He's in the squad and I think he's set to start from the bench tomorrow :thup: Give him a chance I say.

The other consequence that could come from resting key players is that if we embarrass ourselves once again, by not having the likes of RVP in the team, confidence would be shot. Maybe not as much as it was in the San Siro, but it could be a serious dent in our season and a game which we'll look back on and say: 'Oh, I wish we would've won that game'. I'm just worried about players like RVP, Vermaelen, Koscielny being overplayed. We've experienced first-hand how the standard of performance can drain away from the player when overplayed. Ramsey is a prime example. Hopefully, this injury and prolonged period on the sideline will serve him well.

I'm missing the game too. I have training. This Milan game will be the third televised match I've missed in a row; the first two were the Spuds & Liverpool matches. Let's just hope that the coincidental pattern of me not watching games, but Arsenal winning continues :D COYG!

I have to admit, if one of our key players gets injured in a futile attempt to turn round a 4-0 deficit against a good Italian side, I'll be a bit annoyed.

May be a negative attitude but the damage has already been done and we didn't even get an away goal to give us some hope.

Whats the point resting players when our next game is next monday, 6 days away plenty of time to regroup before the Newcastle game.

It is not about resting them, it is about not playing players who have stretches and other minor injuries that could be easily healed by a few days of rest and that can turn into 3 week absences when the player is rushed into action.

We all know what Wenger is going to do anyway.

If we manage it, it will be the most incredible come-back in Arsenal's history.

I suspect our greatest European come back to date is being 3-1 down to Anderlecht in the 1970 Fairs Cup Final first leg, and winning the return leg 3-0 to win the trophy.

Archived