[FM11] dafuge on tour

dafuge

Been very busy in transfers i see!! Have you brought any players in from H & W? Are they still struggling?

I have no money to sign players, so I haven't been able to bring any of my old players with me. They are doing ok, both of us have been in similar mid table positions for most of the season.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oxford United - npower League 2 - 2016/17

Last season I managed to pick Oxford up and make a late push towards the playoffs, this season was all about sorting out the finances and rebuilding the squad. The old squad was released/sold and replaced with talented youngsters on lower wages.

League Table

League Positions Graph

We had a horrible start to the season and as things continued my job became insecure. A spell of good form pulled us back to the playoff spots but we blew it as we went on another long winless streak. The only good news is that two wins at the end of the season may have saved my job.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - no joy as we fell at the first hurdle.

Carling Cup - as above.

FA Cup - we took them to a replay but my old club knocked us out in the first round.

Squad - I thought I had brought in enough talent to walk this league, but I was wrong. I'm going to have to work hard over the summer to get this squad in shape once again. Attacking players are a priority.

Transfers - a fairly hefty profit was made on the transfers and I managed to get some great free transfers.

Finances - I've somehow managed to make things worse.

Key Player Profiles

Fran Sol - 17 goals from my top striker says it all, we just were not good enough in attack.

Marcel Collins - I thought he'd rip the league apart, I was wrong.

Sergiu Bus - he improved throughout the season, may do well next year.

Harry Worley - one of the only players I kept on from last season.

Kenneth Rasmussen - another who improved later on, may do well next year.

Career Overview

Season     Team                 Country    League                   League Finish    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11    Havant & W           England    Blue Square Bet South    8th              Took over in October
2011/12    Havant & W           England    Blue Square Bet South    3rd              Lost in playoffs, FA Trophy finalists
2012/13    Havant & W           England    Blue Square Bet South    1st              Promoted as champions
2013/14    Havant & W           England    Blue Square Bet Premier  1st              Promoted as champions, FA Trophy winners
2014/15    Havant & W           England    npower League 2          4th              Lost in playoff final
2015/16    Oxford Utd           England    npower League 2          8th              Took over in December
2016/17    Oxford Utd           England    npower League 2          11th              

Next Season

I considered quitting towards the end of this season, I also applied for a few other jobs but with no luck. I'm still confident that I get get this club to the top of this league but I think if it doesn't happen next season then my days will be numbered.

Well you need to let the team gel :p With that size of change then of course they will struggle!

Flamers

The team seemed to gel mid season and started playing well, but then went on another dreadful run. I can understand the slow start but my finish to the season was even worse, we went nine games without a win!

The joys of journeyman careers dafuge lol.

I have just been sacked from Nyonnais on my save. Great in the first season but awful in the second. I could not believe it was the same team.

If it ain't working move on man. Become a true journeyman :)

If I were you I'd stick with the same squad, maybe try a couple of loans at most. The difference between midtable and promotion at that level can be as little as starting the season with a team that's familiar with each other.

If I were you I'd stick with the same squad, maybe try a couple of loans at most. The difference between midtable and promotion at that level can be as little as starting the season with a team that's familiar with each other.

That's pretty much what I've done. I've trimmed the squad a bit and just signed a couple of players.

Nice team Daf, I'm in a similar position to you this season as most of my players have their contracts running out and obviously I don't want to extend them and get promoted not needing them. Problem is, best goalkeeper, best player got an offer from his favrioute club (Brondby) and I stood no chance... So he's leaving at the end of the season which is very very frustrating!

Hi Daf, I followed your FM10 thread on Tooting & Mitcham and have also been following this thread. I have noticed that you don't make many substitutions in a season by the looks of your squad screen. 50 times in about 50 games I counted. So a quick question, what is your policy on making substitutions? Do you only sub players who aren't playing very well or maybe once they drop below a certain fitness %?

Hi Daf, I followed your FM10 thread on Tooting & Mitcham and have also been following this thread. I have noticed that you don't make many substitutions in a season by the looks of your squad screen. 50 times in about 50 games I counted. So a quick question, what is your policy on making substitutions? Do you only sub players who aren't playing very well or maybe once they drop below a certain fitness %?

I tend to keep a small squad so usually I try to keep my best eleven players on the pitch, I only really makes subs when players are injured or really tired. I probably should make more but it is fairly rare that I actually have decent options on the bench.

May I just say, great spot mate! I'd be proud :p

May I just say, great spot mate! I'd be proud :p

It was a great spot, I hadn't realised quite how extreme it was until now. I think watching the games in 3D doesn't help me, I get so engrossed in watching the highlights I forget to keep checking the condition of my players. It seems so much easier when I'm watching with commentary only.

I felt exactly the same when I was at Grimsby in League 2. I anted to be either challenge at the top of the league or even atthe bottom...midtable just isnt interesting enough! My Grimsby task went belly up but im sure you can be successful

I think the most frustrating thing is that according to my board I should be challenging at the top, but I'm still in mid table. I'd be a bit happier if they expected a mid table finish, at least then I have the chance to over-achieve.

It was a great spot, I hadn't realised quite how extreme it was until now. I think watching the games in 3D doesn't help me, I get so engrossed in watching the highlights I forget to keep checking the condition of my players. It seems so much easier when I'm watching with commentary only.

Whats your view on 3D? I've never been able to really get attached to it, at the start of FM11 I decided I'd at least have highlights of the goals in 3D after seeing them in 2D (which I watch my games in) but then 2nd season I chucked the highlights, saves a lot of time and hassle. So I no longer use 3D, I've never gotten into it... One of the reasons could be I didn't score for around 10 games (in 3D) minute I switched to 3D I scored (that was FM10 with Solihull Moors :p)

Whats your view on 3D? I've never been able to really get attached to it, at the start of FM11 I decided I'd at least have highlights of the goals in 3D after seeing them in 2D (which I watch my games in) but then 2nd season I chucked the highlights, saves a lot of time and hassle. So I no longer use 3D, I've never gotten into it... One of the reasons could be I didn't score for around 10 games (in 3D) minute I switched to 3D I scored (that was FM10 with Solihull Moors :p)

The 3D view gives me the best enjoyment out of watching the games, but it perhaps isn't the most useful view for me in terms of tactics/subs etc.

dafuge looks human now he is playing a journeyman career. :D

I'd forgotten just how much more challenging it is to move about between clubs, you don't get the momentum and the long term planning you get when you stick with one club, gone are the days of making progress every season. I'm very much enjoying it though :)

I've been trying to incorporate more and more of the LLM principles into how I play, don't think it's a coincidence that I've enjoyed the last couple of editions far more than the previous 2 or 3. The only things I don't currently follow are only getting staff through adverts in the job centre, and (due to the fact I like to do the small to big challenges in the CSE forum) taking new jobs when I realistically would accept them.

I've love a move abroad but I don't think I'm ready for it yet. When choosing my database I had planned a career in England before building up a decent reputation to move abroad (which is why I've only loaded the top two leagues elsewhere). I think I'm going to get at least to the Championship before foreign clubs will even consider me, perhaps with Oxford but preferably with someone new.

do you have a problem finding players for your team, i find it hard to find players abroad when at a lower club. how is life at oxford?

I'm finding a lot of decent French and Spanish players, far better/cheaper than the English players I can attract to the club.

do you have a problem finding players for your team, i find it hard to find players abroad when at a lower club. how is life at oxford?

LLM is easy mate just load up the all players from france and your good to go from the BSN to Championship successive promotions shouldnt really be a problem.. unless your playing the game the proper way

Oxford United - npower League 2 - 2017/18

We had our transitional season last year as we went from no hopers to mid table. This season I was expecting this squad to perform as they should be able to.

League Table

League Positions Graph

We were dominating the league but managed to let our ten point lead slip as Bradford chased us down. We beat them to regain top spot only to lose it again by losing two of our last three games. It feels like a disappointing season but we need to remember we have won promotion.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy - it was penalties all the way as Leyton Orient got the better of us.

Carling Cup - so close to a victory I would have loved.

FA Cup - we had a superb run which ended in a money spinning tie at Anfield, where we got battered.

Squad - this is a good, young squad. The only big problem is a lack of English players.

Transfers - players were sold to raise cash, with free transfers replacing them.

Finances - the Anfield match and the end of a loan has meant our finances are in a decent position for once.

Key Player Profiles

Francisco Javier - our top scorer.

Marcel Collins - better, but still not as good as I had hoped.

Daryl Knell - brought in to give competition for the AMC spot, which he gave.

Niels Nielsen - the star signing for this season.

Kenneth Rasmussen - still getting joy down the left wing.

Career Overview

Season     Team                 Country    League                   League Finish    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010/11    Havant & W           England    Blue Square Bet South    8th              Took over in October
2011/12    Havant & W           England    Blue Square Bet South    3rd              Lost in playoffs, FA Trophy finalists
2012/13    Havant & W           England    Blue Square Bet South    1st              Promoted as champions
2013/14    Havant & W           England    Blue Square Bet Premier  1st              Promoted as champions, FA Trophy winners
2014/15    Havant & W           England    npower League 2          4th              Lost in playoff final
2015/16    Oxford Utd           England    npower League 2          8th              Took over in December
2016/17    Oxford Utd           England    npower League 2          11th              
2017/18    Oxford Utd           England    npower League 2          2nd              Promoted

Next Season

I'm really undecided about what to do. I've got one more year left on my contract but with the promotion and the finances looking good I'm tempted to leave on a high point. Perhaps I'll wait and see what jobs turn up before doing anything rash.

LLM is easy mate just load up the all players from france and your good to go from the BSN to Championship successive promotions shouldnt really be a problem.. unless your playing the game the proper way

That isn't LLM. How many Frenchmen would sign for a part time English team in real life?

That isn't LLM. How many Frenchmen would sign for a part time English team in real life?

yes i know i said LLM in this game is easy if you sign a bunch of french amateur players ... then i said at the end unless you want to play the game properly dont sign these french spanish italians and what not

yes i know i said LLM in this game is easy if you sign a bunch of french amateur players ... then i said at the end unless you want to play the game properly dont sign these french spanish italians and what not

Yes, but you said LLM is easy if you sign those sort of players. LLM is a very specific style of play. One can play 'LLM' to a lesser degree, a watered down version if you will, but you should not use the LLM acronym if you play in this manner.

We had a Frenchman up front at St. Albans City this season and a Spanish striker too. Perhaps we're just very cosmopolitan down at Clarence Park. :p:D

For what it's worth, I agree with you Nobby. ;)

*tsk*

And you don't think I'm a purist. I'm just cosmopoliwhatsit ;)

Interesting point dafuge made though, when it comes to signing players. It's often much easier to negotiate wages of foreign players, than nationals when I've played in England or Spain. The home based players always seem to demand more, or are less willing to negotiate, I often find. That's coming from someone who's usually pretty good at haggling transfer fees and wages down too.

Although I often end up with a very multi-national squad, I actually do/would have a preference to sign players who are nationals of the country I'm playing in. At the same time though, I'm always looking to improve my squad for the least financial impact. Even when I've taken a more "purist" approach to playing a lower league save, limiting myself to players found only through scouting, I still find myself trying to hire scouts with foreign knowledge and pushing the board to allow a wider scope of scouting. Thus I still tend to end up with more foreign players than "home" based players.

I bet Nobby can still remember my brief visit to LLM forum, oooh, way back when... ;)

...I still lurk there occasionally though. Some good reading to be had. Grammar and punctuation is usually of a very high standard. Sometimes a refreshing change from "OMfGWoWz - Wun LeeG wiv Barça!! Tactic" :)

*tsk*

And you don't think I'm a purist. I'm just cosmopoliwhatsit ;)

:D

It's worth noting that both of the players in question were playing in English football before joining the Saints. It's not like we pop off to Reunion or France on a scouting trip Heathxxx. More like Hemel Hempstead and Luton! :D

I want to know more about your brief visit to the LLM forum back in the day! Were you flamed - hopefully not too badly! ;)

Archived