Who will win the World Cup? (Semi-Final Poll, contains spoilers)

Rhino

Who will win the World Cup?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the World Cup?

Okay, let's try again, now that we know the Semi-Finalists.

My heart is with Spain, but my head tells me that the Germans are a better bet. :(

Edit: I added a bit about spoilers in the title, since the Paraguay v Spain has only just finished.

Germany have had a gameplan in every game. But for the sending off against Serbia, they'd probably have won every game too.

They're still ruthlessly efficient even if they do play with a more attacking and fast paced style than previous German sides.

I don't see that changing as things go forward.

Germany to win. Uruguay unfortunately aren't that good to win it, even if they reach the final (I hope they prove me wrong) and Spain and the Netherlands will choke as usual (*hopes Micado, DJ, yovan and the other Dutch and Spaniards see this :D).

Spain and the Netherlands will choke as usual (*hopes Micado, DJ, yovan and the other Dutch and Spaniards see this :D).

I wish I had facts to prove you wrong but I don't. :(

It would be so Dutch to lose against Uruguay tuesday. It's a good thing we play so un-Dutchlike this tourney, something strange might happen.

We can do a lot better than we did last matches, and we need to improve in order to beat teams like Spain and Germany.

Got the same feeling with Uruguay as with Greece in 2004 at about this stage, it will be World Cup number 3 for them.

Already tipped them for the semis before the tournament, so anything else will be a bonus.

If not Uruguay, wouldn't mind which team wins, all have good reasons to be supported :thup:

I wish I had facts to prove you wrong but I don't. :(

It would be so Dutch to lose against Uruguay tuesday. It's a good thing we play so un-Dutchlike this tourney, something strange might happen.

We can do a lot better than we did last matches, and we need to improve in order to beat teams like Spain and Germany.

The only fact would be the EC 1988, anyway, the Netherlands is second in my list of teams to support now:

1) Uruguay

2) the Netherlands

3) Spain

4) Germany

I obviously prefer Uruguay because they are South American, and they have El Loco Abreu (plays for Botafogo here in Rio de Janeiro/Brazil), then you because you have never won before, then the Spanish for a similar reason, and Germany last because I don't want them to reach 4 as that's too close to Brazil's 5. :)

No question that the Netherlands are going to win this world cup for me. The Germanospanic tie will be epic and I can see that team being caught napping by the Netherlands once they have completed their formality of a bye to the final.

The Germans are efficient and organized, their defence held off one of the most attacking sides with ease. Spain would pose a threat to Germany usually, but they just haven't got going- whether they'll raise their game against Germany it remains to be seen. Uruguay are organized although have had a relatively easy-run, Holland will test them particuarly as they miss Suarez.

I'd like Holland to win- but my feeling is it will be the efficient Germans.

DJ will have a win-win situation

Dirty cheat. :D

Both le Dutch and le Germanz still have steep steps to take, particularly Germany. But if they'll make it I think the rivalry between the Netherlands and Germany is fueled by playful attitude rather than outright hatred as it were, say, back in 1988. There might be some eggheads involved for whom this is still a war of wanton nationalism and idiocy, but as it stands now, it's more culminating in a bit of media tease, tounge-in-cheek tabloid headlines and

Would be a cracking final though, no doubt. So many Bayern players too. :D

DJ will have a win-win situation

Well... almost. I mean, I love German football and all, but the Netherlands, Oranje, is ingrained in me. But, contrary to 99,99% of my fellow-Dutchmen, I would not begrudge Germany the win. IF they are really better.

As things stand, I think we've done very well (average in general but amazing during one half: against Brasil) but I just can't see anyone beating Germany. A combined 8-1 over England and Argentina, that's just ridiculously good :thup:

Dirty cheat. :D

Both le Dutch and le Germanz still have steep steps to take, particularly Germany. But if they'll make it I think the rivalry between the Netherlands and Germany is fueled by playful attitude rather than outright hatred as it were, say, back in 1988. There might be some eggheads involved for whom this is still a war of wanton nationalism and idiocy, but as it stands now, it's more culminating in a bit of media tease, tounge-in-cheek tabloid headlines and

Would be a cracking final though, no doubt. So many Bayern players too. :D

True, it's more playful than hateful. I actually hear Dutchmen saying that they would like Germany to win the WC (if Holland can't) because the way they play. That was unthinkingable 20 years ago when there was more hatred involved.

More recent commercials about Holland - Germany rivalry:

(Nuon)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Igxexgjh8&feature=related (Heineken)

Interesting to see so much love for the Germans from the Dutch. I guess it's hard to hate this German side but I always thought the Dutch HATED the Germans, even more than the English.

Maybe it is only the English that can't let a grudge die.

Interesting to see so much love for the Germans from the Dutch. I guess it's hard to hate this German side but I always thought the Dutch HATED the Germans, even more than the English.

Maybe it is only the English that can't let a grudge die.

Well... there's still rivalry, but I think there's not really hate involved, except for the idiots that every country has.

It's just a lot harder to hate this German side. We hated the Germans when they had players like Lothar Matteus, Rudi Voller, Stefan Effenberg, Jurgen Kohler, Oliver Kahn, Carsten Jacker. Rijkaard spitting Voller in his face was a celebrated moment in Dutch football.

Those are the stereotype German players we love to hate. But those kind of players aren't really present in this German team, or the team of 2006 for that matter. Hate shifted more towards Portugal because of the notorious match at WC 2006 with dirty diving Figo, C. Ronaldo and the ever annoying Felipe Scolari. But that will die too when they will play more sympathetic.

The rivalry with Germany will remain though, even though the clash of footballcultures seems to dissapear. Germany is still our big neighbour. The history with WWII and all that isn't an issue anymore of course, although many Dutch supporters still like to refer to it in a playful matter.

F.e.: Dutch fans in Frankfurt during the WC 2006 imitating war planes:

They mean it to be humorous and playful but I find it a bit inappropiate tbh.

Well... there's still rivalry, but I think there's not really hate involved, except for the idiots that every country has.

It's just a lot harder to hate this German side. We hated the Germans when they had players like Lothar Matteus, Rudi Voller, Stefan Effenberg, Jurgen Kohler, Oliver Kahn, Carsten Jacker. Rijkaard spitting Voller in his face was a celebrated moment in Dutch football.

Those are the stereotype German players we love to hate. But those kind of players aren't really present in this German team, or the team of 2006 for that matter. Hate shifted more towards Portugal because of the notorious match at WC 2006 with dirty diving Figo, C. Ronaldo and the ever annoying Felipe Scolari. But that will die too when they will play more sympathetic.

The rivalry with Germany will remain though, even though the clash of footballcultures seems to dissapear. Germany is still our big neighbour. The history with WWII and all that isn't an issue anymore of course, although many Dutch supporters still like to refer to it in a playful matter.

F.e.: Dutch fans in Frankfurt during the WC 2006 imitating war planes:

They mean it to be humorous and playful but I find it a bit inappropiate tbh.

Not gonna lie, that was awesome, the crazy Dutch ! :D

I still think it is a shame to celebrate Rijkaard for spitting on someone. Spitting is the worst you can do. I really don't like Rudi Völler as he is a pain in the ass especially after his footballing career but spitting on him...

Furthermore I don't think "our" (German) generation has ever hated the Dutch. Their language is just too funny, most of the Dutch have great sense of homour and in general it's fun to spend time in the Netherlands for Germans.

Football shouldn't justify hate but even if it could there was no reason for hate. Holland tend to play beautiful football and then loose. Hopefully Holland will revert at some point to their nice football .

The rivalry is shrinking to a minimum. The rivalry with England and especially Italy is much stronger nowadays.

Holland tend to play beautiful football and then loose. Hopefully Holland will revert at some point to their nice football .

So we lose again? :D I have to say, we may not be playing the all-dominating posession-based game of the past, but our lightning-quick defense-to-offense switches are a joy to behold as well.

So we lose again? :D I have to say, we may not be playing the all-dominating posession-based game of the past, but our lightning-quick defense-to-offense switches are a joy to behold as well.

Yes, that is the masterplan.

The Dutch team plays very modern football with fast switching and Robben always provides some spectacle. I am just used to see them playing attacking football with world class strikers (van Persie is overrated imho). Similiar situation to the development of Brazil.

I think Spain or Germany will beat Holland but everything can happen at a final.

Yes, that is the masterplan.

The Dutch team plays very modern football with fast switching and Robben always provides some spectacle. I am just used to see them playing attacking football with world class strikers (van Persie is overrated imho). Similiar situation to the development of Brazil.

I think Spain or Germany will beat Holland but everything can happen at a final.

Van Persie's isn't overrated, imo, but he is having a stinker of a tournament....

As for Spain or Germany beating Holland, normally they would, but since the match against Brazil all logic has gone out the window for me. I'm sure that if you play the quarters between Brazil and Holland 10 times, Brazil would win 9 out of 10, but this just happened to be that 10th time. :) So it might just happen again!

Van Persie's isn't overrated, imo, but he is having a stinker of a tournament....

As for Spain or Germany beating Holland, normally they would, but since the match against Brazil all logic has gone out the window for me. I'm sure that if you play the quarters between Brazil and Holland 10 times, Brazil would win 9 out of 10, but this just happened to be that 10th time. :) So it might just happen again!

Maybe I just don't like van Persie cause he seems to be very egoistic when he plays for Holland. ;)

The big surprise was that Holland beat Brazil after they were a goal behind - massive surprise and a perfect example for knock-out matches. Julio Cesar (best keeper in the world) made a big mistake and Sneijder converted a high ball to a goal.

So under "normal" circumstances Spain or Germany should win but this is the WC. Maybe eveb Holland will loose against Uruguay. Unlikely but who knows?

I think you're being a but too humble there, honestly. The fact remains this Holland squad is potentially very strong. We've reached the semi-finals while playing, mostly uninentional, on like 75% of what we can do. If we manage to beat Uruguay and get close to our 100% game in the final I don't see how it would be 'normal' for Germany or Spain to beat us. Why would it be?

Really, when was the last time any of them beat us?

I think we're at the stage where reputation and past achievements count for little, even if those achievements were in this world cup. Anyone can beat anyone now and that's how it's supposed to be :cool:

Germany are still favorites though, if I've ever seen a team on fire it's this one, on par with Oranje after beating Italy and France. And we all know how that ended...

Archived