Do you will buy FM09 ?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CGSilva5:

Since the 8.0.1 patch, the game has been very enjoyable, so much so that I was hesitant to download the 8.0.2...I eventually did and am stil very pleased.

I guess my plan for FM09 is to wait and see everyone's reactions to the game on here before I decide to buy it right away or wait until the "9.0.1".

For me, FM08 with the patches is so good that I won't see myself being too tempted to rush out a buy the new game unless I know it's quality right from the start. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont think many can give up so easily especially when main competitor CM is still way behind. It might not be good place to mention it here, but still I will write; CM wont even have any patch for CM08 despite they have as many if not more bugs compared to FM08 and their excuse is they want to make better CM09 and dont want to waste time on patch which will be free. SI at least dared for two patch and hoped for thier best, CM guys are not definetely losing faith or their remaning fans.

So without any serious competitor on the shelf, I believe SI must do a lot of mistakes for not selling enough FM09. although for this one I hope people wont jump on it at release date and wait for the first discount and patch time. This hopefully can be a small but remarkable sign for SI to realise that we are as loyal as SI delivers to us. At least me, after buying 05,06,07,08 all during the first week after release will not buy 09 before christmas to make a small protest icon_smile.gif. On the other hand I sincerely hope SI will make an unexpected ramp for 09 and I will just eat my words and run to store on release date but I dont see it happening at the moment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maviarab:

kvadruple

Kudos to your programing knowledge in that area, bit in simple laymans terms was trying to point out that there are differences between the 2 games and hence when changes are made, new problems do tend to creep out of the woodwork. I'm sure even you can relate to that and agree with me there icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course, bugs will be in every game, doesnt matter how much and proper devs test it. But in FM series is one problem - every new version is evolution of prevous game, not revolution. many code in 08 have ben in 07 or previous. (unles SI changed code masively interior, with minor to none "picture" on exterior - user interface). And if core remains same, then new bugs can apper in new features (or old features infulenced by new features) and previously hiden bugs, revealed by fixing of old bugs. And amount of bugs in 08 sugesting that had ben reworking of core code , but hey, if I "dig" in previously (relative) bug-free code, then logical is to hire more testers, because of that. And not spliting avaivable "manpower" between two games (FM08 and FM live).

And allways is posible if SI dont wannt to hire internal pesonal, give version of future FM to public betatest to previously chosen fans. (called closed public beta).

I have ben long-time fan of CM/FM series, but with 08 SI lost lots of his reputation in my eyes. If I will buy FM09, then only after certain time and playtesting by customers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by duck my sick:

It doesn't feel like SI want to progress too far after each version of the game because then there would be nothing new in future versions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ALLWAYS is posible to add many new fetures to new version (until end of world or FM will be realistic as real world).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by duck my sick:

It doesn't feel like SI want to progress too far after each version of the game because then there would be nothing new in future versions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. The problem is two-fold. SI need to either :

1) Fix all the glaring problems with this version. Regens, insane bank balances, AI squads and player purchasing, confidence, expectations, match engine, team talks, yadda yadda yadda.

And I mean really fix them. So they all work exactly. Out of the box. No "undocumented feature" BS. No "it's meant to work in a completely illogical way" rubbish.

2) Add in a shedload of new features. Team interaction, more player interaction, massively overhauled media with multiple questions and potential answers with none of them being right or wrong (seriously, who ever answers a "player x out for a while" message with anything other than "they'll be missed but we've got other players"??) and others.

This, and for the last couple of versions, we've had a couple of quarter-assed features and tons of things either broken that didn't need fixing, or not fixed that were broken.

I'd prefer them to obviously do both things, but I'd settle for the first, and possibly if it was enough new stuff, the second. My fear is that after this version they're gonna go the EA route and completely re-write the game for the new generation of hardware, thus not actually going anywhere whilst continually fleecing us for new versions.

And "there isn't anything better" isn't an excuse to buy it. It just encourages them. Vote with your wallets.

VB

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Serdar:

I dont think many can give up so easily especially when main competitor CM is still way behind.

So without any serious competitor on the shelf, I believe SI must do a lot of mistakes for not selling enough FM09. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ant this is main problem SI have litle competeton for FM series. Sometimes you MUS BUY product of your COMPETETION to support yours favorite product.

Very nice exampla is Intel vs AMD. Intel have previously intended of relaing its new 45nm procesors at Q of 08 - but after nor such competion from AMD (and excepten new procesors from AMD whitch have ben delayed) - Intel ecidet to pospone relasing of new 45nm procesost dow no Q4 08/Q1 09. And who suffer from this shift is only one person - CUSTOMER. If you look how intel is handling relasing of products due to lack of real competition, imagine sitiation if Intel have NO competition.

Buy AMD for better Intel procesors, buy CM for better FM.

I'll buy it, simply because I buy it every year. SI have done enough since it's conception to persuade me. If FM09 doesn't meet my outrageously high standards then the worst case scenario is that I "lose" £20 - £30, which really isn't a big deal.

Not sure on this one. Have played this game since the early CM days and quite frankly all the changes have been mostly cosmetic. I honestly only rate the fog of war and change of 2d view as major improvements. The interaction areas are good but this kind of stuff seems to be held onto just to make the slight upgrades every year. As for the ME it seems that the only reason the game is harder is becuse the AI counters your tatic as soon as you score a goal. I miss the old days where a team of quality players would smack a div 3 side like IRL.

What ever happened to the "Arse" comand by the way.

Would buy the game for sure if that made a return. lmao.

Like with any FM game, I wait to see the changes made to the game, and see what other peoples reaction is. And usually manage to get a game going with a mate on their PC. Therefore I essentially try before I buy.

This year I did just that, and bought the game at the start of January. Personally, unlike most on these forums, I really like FM08.

Many moan about stuff like the board confidence, but this is the first time it has been in game in it's current mutation, so it's a good start that can be improved on in future versions. I'd buy FM09 just to see how they take the "Board Confidence" thing forward.

Been playing this series since CM 96/97, and I will not buy FM '09 if it is just another little incremental update.

If there is not a major update in particular to the match engine and training, then I don't see the point in buying it.

Deja vu springs to mind.

I'll buy it - I just wish I hadn't bought 08.

Because I play a lot of International management I like starting a game after a major international tournemnt so you don't start half way through the qualifiers.

I don't moan about 08 because 07 more than satisfies my craving for FM.

Not sure if i will this time.

IM like most people on here, started playing since the 1st CM Game.

All depends on whats new to the FM09 game.

Also, im sick of not having the full game until february! i mean ill have 3-4months playing this then the new one will be out.

Tempted to try the new CM game to see what thats like.

Having said that, why bother with FM09, what about FMLive, will many of you but that? What concerns me is that the end of the seasons only a few months away.

Thats what puts me off buying it for the Xbox 360, why put it out so late? Put it out sept/oct not nr the end of the season when the data will be old when all the transfers go through for the new season

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kvadruple:

And I wonder how is posible to have bugs in 8.00 - later - which didnt exist in FM07 (or earlier). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any time you change code you can create problems.

FM08 is the best game ever and I'll be buying FM09 as soon as it comes out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thats what puts me off buying it for the Xbox 360, why put it out so late? Put it out sept/oct not nr the end of the season when the data will be old when all the transfers go through for the new season </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe thats because even though SI sold out to teh eveil devil that is MS, they have a continued commitment to PC/MAC users and thats why its delayed on the console. Bit like Gears of war, comes out on the pc 6 months plus after it was available on console, due to the fact that they made a commitment to the console and not the PC users. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though icon_wink.gif

I will do yes buy.

:p

It's best game of it's kind, and the only reason it gets as many complaints as it does is because the SI forums are some of the most active around. It's much harder to complain to EA about bugs in their games, so there isn't as much debate about "bugs"

to me, the game is almost always playable, even straight out of the box on release day. People expecting perfection are out of their minds. Show me one game that has no bugs. I Defy you!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VonBlade:

And "there isn't anything better" isn't an excuse to buy it. It just encourages them. Vote with your wallets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nail on head. icon14.gif

As long as people are saying that they will buy every game SI makes no matter what, do they honestly expect them to try harder? They are happy serving us the same re-heated dish every season. The only way this game evolves, is the possibility of financial failure. I bet SEGA will have something to say to SI if sells go down. Until then don't expect a new CM01-02.

I'm not saying that you must not buy FM ever again. Just wait to see what new it offers before blindly buying it. I too used to buy it every year, but lately this is only because of centimental reasons. I will definitely wait for a couple of months before deciding on 09. They need to work hard to convince me after this 08 thing.

bterz, you have right.

If you look at fm series - only minor improvments /new features for every new version - high sales.

And FifaM - good amount of improvments/new features for every new version - medium sales/high price

For CM - I havent much info.

And for FM09 vs FifaM09 - I will probaly buy fifaM - but its deppend how many new improvnmenst/features will bring us FM/FifaM.

I love FM for his amount of legues, but annoy me lack of improvmenst/new fetuires for new version. Probay FifaM will be my no.1 for 09 year.

bterz, you have right.

If you look at fm series - only minor improvments /new features for every new version - high sales.

And FifaM - good amount of improvments/new features for every new version - medium sales/high price

For CM - I havent much info.

And for FM09 vs FifaM09 - I will probaly buy fifaM - but its deppend how many new improvnmenst/features will bring us FM/FifaM.

I love FM for his amount of legues, but annoy me lack of improvmenst/new fetuires for new version. Probay FifaM will be my no.1 for 09 year.

I will not be getting FM09. My complaints are not bugged issues but the games incapability of putting my little discs where I want them to postion themselves. Thats the whole point of tactics isnt it?

Currently and historically my centre forward who has been asked to stay forward on attacking set plays makes love to the linesman! Gives him another 30 yards to run in on goal should he get away onto a long ball out of defence. I feel no cohesion between me and the game and thats all its about for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

I'll wait and see if the old problems are fixed. If it's just the previous version, complete with unfixed issues, with a couple of tacked-on features, I definitely won't be bothering. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm confused. That's all this game has been for as long as I can remember.

Media modules were rubbish FIVE YEARS ago. They still are.

Don't expect anything will change.

FWIW all I'd like to see is a more fun match engine. Currently it really is too realistic - people want to play a fantasy not a reality.

Somewhere along the way FM became a sim not a game and thats fine .. but .. its not a particularly accurate or rewarding sim.

We'll see.

I would say that I'll be buying it on the day of release....

But after the last few years, I think it's more likely for me to end up buying it the day before release. Got to love the shops eh?

Actually, on second thoughts, as long as there isn't a post strike this time, I'll probably just ask Play.com to send me a copy. :-P

of course. with very few exceptions, the bugs are overrated. I always play on commentary only, for speed reasons, so i don't see how the players act, but I don't notice anything wrong because it doesn't affect the way the game plays, matches and seasons play out as they should, my back 4 could be line dancing on the 2D pitch for all I care as long as the match progresses as it should. the only bug that has made any difference to my game is the stadium expansion one. yes goals are a little plentiful, and you get situations that people find a little unrealistic, but the increased goals and competitiveness only makes the game better, as its still within a reasonable level, you just have higher scores occuring more than usual but the scores themselves aren't that unusual in a game of football. plus the balance of power can and does change in football, I'd rather that then the current closed shop. its not like man U get relegated in the first season, or newly promoted teams win the league on a regular basis, or referees send entire teams off at once is it, or even the score or table deciding to adjust itself for fun? plus a lot of things that affect games, like superkeepers (recently I've benefited a lot from it), go equally both ways (a lot like dubious refereeing decisions like goals and penalties in real life) so its not like the game is ruined by having either the player or AI having an advantage over the other.

to cut a long post short, yes i'll be getting it, because bugged it may be, to say they ruin the game is to make a mountain out of a molehill.

i'll buy again and i'll be frustrated again.

FM is the only choice really. I don't think bugs are the problem. For me, the problem is that i don't understand the translations of the tactical sliders to the match engine. I wish there was a tutorial, or my ass man gave me some tips... i don't know.

Reading the tactical forum, i realize im not alone. Few people really know how to play the game. Most of them download a tactical and hope for the best.

I think Si should try harder to make it easier not to win a game, but to understand how the match engine works.

For example, i have low d-line, fb set to foward run and run with the ball rarely, their mentalities are low, closing down just a notch after own area... and still a slower winger can get behind my fb. What should i do? Do i believe the ai cheats? Or am i doing something wrong and i don't know?

This is just an example... I feel like that about the match engine as i whole. There is too much ambiguity and too little information about how to "read" the game.

So i'll buy fm again because i think the game is great. But i wish SI introduced something for people to learn how to "read" the match engine.

Probably not, i've started playing in FM2005 until fm2008 but i havent played FM2008 for almost 1 month, then patch came out, started a new game and after doing pre season i just saw that fm2008 match engine is still ridiculous so i stopped playing. i honestly dont see big improvements over the years, from 2005 to 2008, that makes me want to buy another FM, it's alwasys the same thing and when they had something it creates more bugs and most of those new adds don't affect gameplay, so i got tired of aplying FM and since fm2009 will probably only have "eye-candys" but not major adds i won't buy it and i won't even try the demo because as we all know the demo from Fm are so bugged that you can't really tell how the game looks like.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mattyspurs76:

Not sure if i will this time.

IM like most people on here, started playing since the 1st CM Game.

All depends on whats new to the FM09 game.

Also, im sick of not having the full game until february! i mean ill have 3-4months playing this then the new one will be out.

Tempted to try the new CM game to see what thats like.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have cm08 its not bad but not as good as fm08

The only part of the game that is better is the fact that you can actually buy players for realistic values instead of needing to pay 5 times the going rate

Why for, buying FM 2008 with the bugs worked out? It didn't played the 2007 version but it looks like 2008 is just an update of 2007 with new bugs. So will probably be 2009, rather buy the 2010 version, and hope they have changed their simulation model for a more complex one as the realism wanted by many lies here, bugs don't determine how a game works, the model to simulate does, that's what we can call a new version, not some kind of DB update, moving the icons from left to right, a new picture and voilà new version ready to be sold.

Never missed to buy version in over a decade, but i am not in mood to spend my money on "Disney" version such as is '08 again.

Probably will wait to see is '09 good as 05,06,07 were or complete letdown as 08 is.

Yep.

8.0.0 was dismal, but 8.0.2 is near to perfect, if they just iron out the few ME issues and fix board confidence, then i'll be more than happy with 09. I'd fully expect these problems to be sorted so i'll be buying 09.

I will buy FM09. But i am sorely disappointed with FM08. The old CM's were better and the early FM was good too but this one just seems bad with way too many problems and bugs.

But i suppose all games have bugs and when they are trying to be fixed more bugs will arise because of this. it's a vicious circle really. Nothing is perfect but i'll always stick by Sports Interactive.

I see that many people complain about this year´s version - FM 2008. I must say that the game has improved alot with 8.0.2. I agree that the game wasn´t very good when it was released. 8.0.1 was a huge step forward and 8.0.2 optimized the game really. There are some bugs left that is kind of annoying, but the game is near to perfect with 8.0.2 I belive.

Except from bugs effecting only some leagues induvidally, like the registration problem in turkish 2nd division is still there, I think there are a few things that is annoying. The corner bug(but this can be avoided by the player, so not a big problem), the "too many goals issue"(which seems to only effect some people whick is wierd, but to start a new save-game with 8.0.2 and not continue a 8.0.1 save-game is maybe the solution), and finally the board confidence issue.

It would be great if SI made a 8.0.3 to solve these problems, mainly the board issue, but 8.0.2 is a big improvment and as I said the game is almost perfect. This is what I think anyway icon_smile.gif

At the end of the day and as we do with all of our releases; we will make a Gold demo available before the game hits the shops. You are free to download and evaluate it as you see fit then you can decide whether you want to spend your money on buying the full game or not.

With regards to the issue surrounding bugs, we've never claimed to be perfect. We are however always up front, open and honest whenever we've made mistakes and we'd like to think that goes a long way for many of you.

On top of all that, we do strive to get better and do things better with each and every release.

Archived