You know you are addicted to football manager when............

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you haven't played a new version of FM since 2006 due to uni & work commitments so you:

buy a new laptop

get a new membership to the forums; and

spend all day at work reading teh features of 09 so you won't get too stuffed in your first game...

PS: hurry up... i've been deprived too long :D

• 2 months later...

Will bump this

When you play the game sat in your chair, and you commentate on the game, and when it is 1-1 in a world cup qualifier. Last minute, Drogba takes a freekick from 45 yards, aimed in at Kolo Toure, you think BAM, 2-1, but he hits the bar. You put your hands to your head and walk away, crouching to the ground. Walk back at it says you are winning 2-1. You watch the replay, find out he volleyed in the rebound and act it out.

You find out your History teacher plays the game and get a detention to discuss how far in you are etc

You are almost 30 and find yourself thinking about:

how many hours, better yet years have u been clicking continue. Finished all sorts of schools more time spending on learning tactics then subjects. Thinking how many books you could have read, all the things you could have learned. Who of your friends never played the game and how much you envy them. Don't have a job and your mom and your girlfriend is still supporting you. The girlfriend you should have married about 5 years ago but still don't wont to, for some strange reason that surely has something to do with fm. Say to yourself I'm gonna start learning some programing in days to come then sit yourself down and start a new career with Sunderland, again, determined to make an empire with just youngsters.

Too much on the dark side, I know, but don't let this happen to you.

When one of your legendary players either retires or has to be let go after 16 years of service and you do a tribute to him in your facebook status (I actually also attempted to use facebook notes and albums to keep track of my save on 08, decided it wasn't a great idea after a bit)

When you play FM while reading, even if its research for a piece of work or revision (this actually works really well for reasons I won't bore you with)

When you write stories as a hobby, and when discussing a villain asking for a powerful device in exchange for one of the heroes (don't ask), have your character say “I have a saying while playing FM, if someone is offering you a large amount of money for someone, that’s a good sign that you shouldn’t let him go” (Ok, when you think about it, it's not actually that good an analogy but the basic idea applies)

There's also the standard recognition of players and teams that you know from FM, and your opinions of team are formed by either doing well with them or something they did to you.

When you leave your mouse curser in a certain area of the screen because you're on an undefeated streak from keeping it there......is that just me? Oh. OCD, lol

Oh back when it was CM i used to do that all the time along with trying to stay perfectly still coz i hadn't of been scored against in a certain position

• 3 weeks later...
When one of your legendary players either retires or has to be let go after 16 years of service and you do a tribute to him in your facebook status (I actually also attempted to use facebook notes and albums to keep track of my save on 08, decided it wasn't a great idea after a bit)

That's brilliant, what did your friends on there say? :D

That's brilliant, what did your friends on there say? :D

Well I added on the end that its something only an FM player would understand and got a 'like' from one of them who also plays. Many people have their obsessions and they just accept it as one of mine. Not much comment on the rest. A couple of friends occasionally ask how I'm doing and I found myself relating the tale of an amazing season to one of them in a PM, which inevitably ended up a lot longer then I intended.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Seconded. ;)

although tbf I have been split from my wife for over 15months now, after 10 years so wasn't really bothered about valentines, had long enough to get used to kit, the patch strategy thing i've only been aware of for the past couple of weeks, but as the saying goes, all good things....come to those that wait.

Archived