Story Ideas & Discussion Thread

Terk

Thinking of starting a new story, that will mainly be written over the summer holidays to keep me occupied.

I either want to do a story in the US, Germany or English lower leagues.

Which do you think would go down best.

Waits for, chose the idea you like the most posts :D

I'd go with the one you like the most, tbh :p

Honestly though, it would depend on what you wanted from your game and your story.

I've never done an LLM game (to the definition of llamas anyway) and might start my next save that way. That would probably be on FM10 when it comes out since Macclesfield are keeping me busy enough just now, but you could always do the same, load those leagues and go in unemployed and wait for a really small club in England or Germany to take you on.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thinking of starting a new story, that will mainly be written over the summer holidays to keep me occupied.

I either want to do a story in the US, Germany or English lower leagues.

Which do you think would go down best.

Waits for, chose the idea you like the most posts :D

Doing a story in the USA means you'll have to actually understand the draft system - trying to learn all about it for the sake of one story is, in my opinion, a little pointless. Though it would help if anybody else asked about it (namely me - haven't got a clue about it whatsover :D)

The German lower leagues are generally filled with the reserve teams of the larger clubs - as they are defined as managerless clubs, the odds of victory for your team, whoever they are, will be horribly misleading. I found that out to my cost in the Swedish lower leagues. Being hammered 4-0 by a reserve team who have 50-1 odds of winning....it hurts :(.

I'd say go for the English lower leagues - maybe choose the club that is closest (in the geographical sense) to you. :)

Yeah. It could be an educational story.

Weeeman27bob guides the members of the stories forum through america

Now that is something I'd read - I don't doubt that the MLS is one complicated league, though. Not least because of the draft system.

In regards to Germany, Hoffenheim would be a nice prospect - it'd be like completing the fairytale dream of that little town club. :)

Now that is something I'd read - I don't doubt that the MLS is one complicated league, though. Not least because of the draft system.

In regards to Germany, Hoffenheim would be a nice prospect - it'd be like completing the fairytale dream of that little town club. :)

I'm currently writing a German lower league story in FM 08 with a fallen giant. There aren't actually many reserve teams down there anymore, they've been limited in the 3. Liga to just 4, and as of FM09 there are just three in the 20 team league. Playing in Germany as Bayern wouldn't be fun, challenging their dominance is far more fun!

I'm currently writing a German lower league story in FM 08 with a fallen giant. There aren't actually many reserve teams down there anymore, they've been limited in the 3. Liga to just 4, and as of FM09 there are just three in the 20 team league. Playing in Germany as Bayern wouldn't be fun, challenging their dominance is far more fun!

Someday I'm going to play St. Pauli. That'll be a fun story to write, if only for the girl. :)

Still looking for new players for my sign up story, as you can imagine after five seasons with transfers etc my club FMS Rejects needs some new players.

All I need is ya name or nickname

your best two positions

nationality..

remember though this game is playing on CM00/01 so some nationalities I will struggle to get

Just PM me and I'll add you

The problem with basing a story on FM is that it's very rigid in terms of what times you have the events happen in. Of course you can go back to earlier versions, but not very far back, and you can set the character's back-story in the 70s but it's not the same thing. I don't suppose anyone's thought of any way to counter this/get around it?

If you want to do a futuristic one, make a database with fake players in and use that; it makes your storyline less predictable footballwise, and it gives you a lot more scope for creativity.

Maybe a time travel option, or is that a little too silly?

When are you wanting to set your story?

That'd make a great story...

Maybe have a look for some customised databases? Editor's Hideaway might give you a hand there, although that'll really only do if you're going to manage in England or the major leagues.

Otherwise, the fake database is the way forward I would suspect, playing in Northern Ireland (Unless you're really striving for authenticity...)

Maybe make a few subtle changes - up the reputations of the teams who were better in those days, etc

Afternoon fellow members. Thought id pop in with my new idea and see what you all think. Having just lost my latest story game 'abra kadbra ala kassam' I am a little disheartened however determined to get back to writing another story. I do however want it to be a little different. Im not sure wether it has been done before (im not spending my day searching) but I was thinking of doing a story based on a footballers journey.

The idea would be to re-create (edit) myself into the game as a 19 yr old promising footballer who is yet to have a contract and then take it from their.

I realise its not a managers story so wanted to get people's views on a) if it would pass as a story & b) wether it would be a welcome addition which people followed?

any feedback is welcome thanks.

Ah yes. (Thanks Manxie btw. :))

A player's perspective story will be very interesting, and there is actually more than one way to do it. Mine is one of course, but SJFunk's Everton story is another, which is slightly different but very interesting as well.

It's obviously up to you to pick the style and it depends entirely on what kind of story you have in mind. The best tip I could give is look at other peoples stories and picking up some ideas from there :) and also post to enjoy yourself and not worry about what other people think.

Whatever your comfortable with, to be honest, Jamesdude. It also depends on the amount of time you have.

Tips, well, you need to get ahead with your writing, for one. Read the first few pages of this thread, particuarly whenever Amaroq posts, to get some ideas.

Okay, I'll ask because it's starting to make me wonder. Some people have mentioned away supporters figures being in this game and one or two stories have even mentioned it. Where do I find that information? My Rangers team just played at Aberdeen and I'd like to know the figure if the game provides it.

And plan, plan, plan. :D

Or you could be like me and just wing it! :D

@Jamesdude55:

As others have said, pick a team that you enjoy, a style that you enjoy, and just go ahead and pour your emotions into it. If you like to just chronicle your managerial journey then you can do that, weave a narrative, your highs and lows, your pain and joy etc.

Or, if you are the more story-driven type, an idea about a particular person or perspective around your game is a good place to start. Be creative, enjoy it, experiment a bit, but most of all, make sure you commit some time to it and don't rush.

@10-3:

I have to admit, I have never noticed away-team attendance figures in FM, I was under the impression that they were not tracked. Perhaps people are just making them up based on real-life away-team ticket allocations?

If it works Im going to try and do a story were I edit in all new teams into a league..(Probably the welsh league), and do a story from a different view, like Spav did with his road to Johannesburg story.

So if anyone is intrested I need you lot to come up with 18 different team names and whether or not you'd be intrested in being the manager of a team etc

If anyone is intrested just pm me with any ideas

Like I said it depends whether or not I can make it into a decent enough story

Didn't think of that but now you've said that hmmmmm...

Thats possible one down seventeen to go. If you can't think of a team name and want to be a manager jsut let me know via PM so we don't clutter this thread up too much.

So Manxie you want to be Manager of a Jaffa team lol

Its just at the idea stage at the moment, but I was thinking like say for example Ben is edited into the game as a manager of an edited team.

Every week i choose a match to do a full report on like in my other stories but the other matches for that week I do a breif snippit of what went off if you get my drift

What details do you need Ben

Hmm...

I'll like to be involved in this as much as I can. So, say, you convert the Welsh League, I can come up with some funny sounding Welsh-name for the team.

And I would love to be a manager too.

This sounds like it has plenty of potential for a great story. :D

Thats exactly what I was asking but you worded it better for me Ben, just send me a pm with your ideas and I'll put them down. Don't jsut limit it too one name aswell, if you've got more ideas let me know

Archived