The rise of an unlikely Asian star

BenArsenal

Firstly, I'm starting this story (my first) because I'm extremely bored at work icon_rolleyes.gif, and need something to do. Also, it's entirely fictional as I don't have much time to play the game, so it's come entirely from my brains.

Let the story begin...

It is 2010, and young Ben Cee has just graduated from college and finished his compulsory 2 years of National Service. Having no plans from here on out, he spent everyday cooped at home, playing his beloved FM. Before long, his parents started nagging about getting a job.

One day, his dad sat him down and asked,

"What are your plans for the future, Ben?"

"I dunno", the young man shrugged, "Maybe go overseas?"

Instantly, this created an uproar within the household. "Why must you go overseas? What is over there that isn't available here?"

"Higher standards of football, that's what!" Ben was an avid football fan, and occasional player. He had trials with the local Woodlands Wellington Football Team (whose stadium was conveniently located outside his house), but was deemed not good enough. Nevertheless, he never gave up hope of being a football player, despite his parents objections and insistance for Ben to get a 'proper job'.

Ben spent the next half an hour explaing his plans to fly to London to try out with a few football teams, but was met with constant rebuttals. Eventually though, his parents gave in, and said, "Fine, it's your choice. If you really want to go, then go. But do so at your own expense. We're not going to sponsor you anything."

Ben then went online to source out cheap tickets to London and also accomodation. But there were two important words that he'd had to take note of, which will ultimately make or break his career: work permit.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, I'm starting this story (my first) because I'm extremely bored at work icon_rolleyes.gif, and need something to do. Also, it's entirely fictional as I don't have much time to play the game, so it's come entirely from my brains.

Let the story begin...

It is 2010, and young Ben Cee has just graduated from college and finished his compulsory 2 years of National Service. Having no plans from here on out, he spent everyday cooped at home, playing his beloved FM. Before long, his parents started nagging about getting a job.

One day, his dad sat him down and asked,

"What are your plans for the future, Ben?"

"I dunno", the young man shrugged, "Maybe go overseas?"

Instantly, this created an uproar within the household. "Why must you go overseas? What is over there that isn't available here?"

"Higher standards of football, that's what!" Ben was an avid football fan, and occasional player. He had trials with the local Woodlands Wellington Football Team (whose stadium was conveniently located outside his house), but was deemed not good enough. Nevertheless, he never gave up hope of being a football player, despite his parents objections and insistance for Ben to get a 'proper job'.

Ben spent the next half an hour explaing his plans to fly to London to try out with a few football teams, but was met with constant rebuttals. Eventually though, his parents gave in, and said, "Fine, it's your choice. If you really want to go, then go. But do so at your own expense. We're not going to sponsor you anything."

Ben then went online to source out cheap tickets to London and also accomodation. But there were two important words that he'd had to take note of, which will ultimately make or break his career: work permit.

Having made his decision to go to London, and sorted everything out, Ben packed his bags. He was to arive in England in the middle of June, just when clubs up and down the country were holding trials for players to sign on for the next season.

At the airport, Ben bid a teary farewell to his family and friends. He didn't know when he would see them again, and going abroad by himself was a big step for this young man. But if you don't take risks, you never know what would happen.

After a long overnight flight, Ben arrived at Heathrow and looked out for Chris. Ben often spent time on online forums when not playing FM, and got to know a few Brits whilst there. One of them was Chris, an ecccentric musician/photographer who drives a Renault Avantime (an odd MPV/coupe for those who are not into cars) and has kindly allowed young Ben to put up with him for the time being, while he gets a job.

"Are you...Chris?" Ben asked a fairly plump, bearded man who was holding a placard saying 'Ben'

"Yeah. You're Ben Cee?"

"Yeah. Nice to meet you Chris!" The two shared a hug, before moving the luggage towards the Renault.

Ben's adventure in Britain has begun...

During the car ride to Chris' abode, the two of them chatted. Chris was a Scot who had moved to London because of work commitments, and he doesn't usually follow football. If forced to pick a team, he would usually say "Glasgow Rangers".

Nevertheless, Chris would do his utmost to help Ben in his quest to become a professional footballer.

Ben's decision to go to London was partly influenced by the fact that he supports Arsenal. He did hope that he might have a chance to sign for his boyhood club, but of course, this seemed like a far-fetched idea, unless of course...

"Arsenal Football Club are holding trials for youth players this week. Anybody under the age of 21 is invited, and you may have the chance to become the next David Seaman, Tony Adams or Thierry Henry. Don't delay, sign up today!"

Ben, being a cyncial young man, thought this was just a hoax. Someone who had too much free time giving out flyers to decieve gullible young men on the pretext of signing for one of the world's biggest football clubs. However, Chris, being the optimistic man that he is, thought it was a geniuine trial and talked Ben into giving it a go. Ben agreed, since this whole trip was about taking risks anyway.

The next morning, Chris drove Ben to the magnificent Emirates Stadium (which wasn't very far anyway). It was there that Ben discovered that it wasn't a hoax after all, and that it was a geniuine trial by Arsenal. "Oh joy", Ben thought, "This is my chance! I'd better impress them."

After Chris dropped Ben off at the gates and went to work, Ben stepped inside the stadium, momentarily awed by the magnificentness of it all. One of his regrets was not managing to visit Highbury before it was redeveloped into housing, but this was good enough. Ben couldn't believe he was at the stadium of the club he had supported as a young boy, the one and only Arsenal Football Club.

"May I help you, Sir?" a heavily French-accented voice called out. Ben turned around, and saw a familiar sight. It was Gilles Grimandi, one of Arsenal's hardworking utility players of the late 90s and now Arsenal chief scout.

"Erm, er...I'm here for the trial" Ben stuttered.

"Oh, sure. Would you mind following me then? This way please." Gilles then walked towards the training pitch, with Ben following behind.

"You know, I was a fan of yours when you were playing...."

At the training ground, there were hundreds of fellow trialists. Ben knew that it wouldn't be easy, for he had to be exceptional in order to stand out and catch the attention of Arsene Wenger and Pat Rice.

Both of them were there, as were most of the first team coaches. More familiar faces Ben could picked out were Steve Bould and Martin Keown, defensive legends that Ben looked up to in the 90s.

Ben fancied himself as a versatile, play anywhere player, but in truth he was only best at defending. Though he could also be a fairly good keeper, something that Ben would ensure that he'd point out should he make the cut.

The triallists would be split into groups, each taken by a different coach, who would put them through their paces at different activities. After a day's worth of training, their skills would be assessed, and roughly half the players would be cut, with the remainder to return to Ashburton Grove the next day for more training.

Thankfully, Ben had enough skill and fitness to make it back the next day, but only just. It was evident that Ben needed to work out and improve quickly if he was to be a star, a point that kept ringing in his head as he waited for Chris to pick him up in the evening.

"How was the trial today then?" Chris enquired.

"Oh it was alright. I did enough to be called back for tomorrow, but I do need to improve on my skills and fitness a bit." Ben replied.

"That's great! I'm sure you'll be good enough. Have faith, and you'll make it."

"Thanks." It was nice to have someone believe in him, a sharp contrast to his disapproving parents. He didn't hate them though, and vowed to return one day when he's made it big, to show them that they've got a useful son after all. But that day's still a long way yet...

Thanks guys. I'll try my best. icon_cool.gif

Next week is my last week on the job, and after that I will have plenty of free time to waste, so I think this story might run for a while yet.

The next day, Ben returned to the Emirates for the second round of trials. This one was shorter than the first day's, but far more intensive, with more emphasis on honing the individual skills that each player possesed, rather than weeding the wheat from the chaff. At mid-day, just after lunch, Wenger gathered the boys round for a talk.

"Right guys, after this I shall want to talk to each and every one of you individually, to discuss your future at this football club. This might take a while, and would potentially run into the night, but I assure you, you will leave this stadium today knowing what you career holds."

"In the meantime, those that are not being interviewed, I recommend going to our excellent gym to build up your fitness, or if you want you may approach one of our coaches for advice, and maybe practise some of the things you've picked up yesterday and today. I wish all of you the best of luck."

Ben was amongst the first to be interviewed (because his surname started with 'C'). In the office:

AW: "So, Ben Cee, why do you want to play for Arsenal Football Club?"

BC: "Well Sir, I'm a lifelong Arsenal supporter, and believe that I can offer many years of quality service to the club. Rest assured I'll be a loyal servant and hard worker." Ben didn't sound very confident.

AW: "Okay. I've heard some good things from the coaches about your performances these past two days. I especially like your attitude."

BC: "Thank you Sir."

AW: "I see here that you're from Singapore."

BC: "Yes Sir."

AW: "That might be a bit of a problem. You know, work permits and all."

BC: "Erm..." Ben had actually forgot about this element, until now.

AW: "After all, Singapore aren't actually a football superpower, are they?"

BC: "I suppose so." It was looking bleak for the young man. Despite Singapore being South East Asian champions for the last two years, it all counted for nought as Wenger's words began to rang true. His hopes of a professional career with his boyhood team looked on the verge of collapse, all because of his country's lowly ranking in world football.

AW: "But, I really hope to have a young man of your talents here at this football club. Tell you what, I'll submit you application for a work permit to the Home Office, and if it goes through you'll sign with us." Ben's face began to lit up.

"But, if it doesn't however, I'm afraid we'll have to send you home."

BC: "But, isn't there a Belgian feeder club you could send me to?"

AW: "We used to have a link with Beveren in Belgium, yes. But we terminated that link last year due to some disagreements, so unfortunately that isn't an option currently."

So this was it now. Everything hinges on the Work Permit application. One verdict from the Home Office would decide whether he would return to Singapore as a success or failure.

BC: "Thank you very much Mr Wenger. If I get the opportunity to play for this club I'm sure I won't let you down."

AW: "I hope you won't. I really see a bright future for you here, and I honestly wish the best success on you." With that, Wenger ushered Ben out of the office.

Ben spent the remainder of the day training with Steve Bould, before meeting Chris again who've came to pick him up. As he waited, Ben felt a sense of slight relief, glad that his future's looking bright, but not exactly cemented in stone yet.

Next update I suppose would be Monday, as I'm a bit busy this weekend. icon_wink.gif

Ben turned up at the Emirates the next day, only to be greeted with...silence.

The confused young man looked around, hoping to spot at least somebody. Eventually, he chanced upon Grimandi again, who looked surprised.

"What are you doing here Ben?"

"Isn't there training today?"

"No, you silly boy. We've given you guys a break until Monday. Weren't you paying attention?"

"Oh." Ben started to go red in embarrasment. He really did felt silly.

With Chris now at work (hence no one to pick him up), Ben decided to spend some time at the Arsenal gym, before some of the coaches spotted him and advised him to explore the high streets of London and maybe do a spot of shopping.

"Ring ring!"

Ben picked up the phone, and heard a familiar voice.

"Hi, is this the residence of Ben Cee?"

"Yes, it's Ben Cee speaking."

"Hi Ben. It's Arsene. We have a bit of a problem with your work permit, so if it's okay can you come down to the stadium as soon as you can."

"Oh." Ben was momentarily stunned, but regained just enough compusure to reply "I'll be there right away Sir."

Ben immediately ran out of the house towards the stadium. Being located five minutes away, it didn't take very long. Ben dashed up the halls and reached Wenger's office faster than you could say 'Ashburton Grove'.

"You wanted to see me Sir?" Ben panted.

"Oh yes. Have a seat."

"You see Ben, the Home Office has turned down your first application for your work permit." Wenger delivered the grim news.

"However, as with all cases, we have the right of appeal. The thing is, at the appeal hearing, we need you to turn up, and justify to the court why you deserve this work permit."

"We will assist you to the best of our ability, but you have to prove to the court that you are an exceptional talent that is worth granting a work permit to."

The reality started to sink in. Ben's career now lies in his ability to argue in front of a magistrate about his potential ability and usefulness and future contribution to the club and country. Being a shy young man, this seemed like a tall order for him. Will he be able to pull it off?

Thank you. One can only hope... icon_wink.gif

As the date of the hearing draws near, Ben found himself full of nerves. He tried practising at home, what to say to the magistrate and so on. Arsenal too did their bid to help, hiring lawyers to assist in the procedure, and make Ben's time a little easier.

All in all, the club spared no effort to make sure they could sign this Singaporean talent, and it made Ben felt wanted, for pretty much the first time in his very short life.

Before long however, the British press latched on to the story, and being what they are, they were often inaccurate in their reports.

The Sun - Arsenal Sign Jungle Boy

Arsenal are due to appear at a hearing to appeal for a work permit for their recently discovered talent, from the South East Asian jungle state of Singapore. 20 year old Ben Cee comes with no previous professional playing experience, and his signing is seen as a risk, or even a mistake, for the normally astute Arsene Wenger.

The Daily Mirror - Singaporean Alien Pops Up At The Emirates

Arsenal are to appeal at a hearing for a work permit for their new signing, 20 year old Singaporean Ben Cee. Being of an unknown stature, this seems to be a big mistake for the club to go through all the effort to sign someone who is easily inferior to a random lad plucked off the streets of London.

And so on. Obviously some of the comments did hurt the young man (especially having his country described as a 'jungle', when in reality it is as cosmopolitan as London, if not more), but Wenger would not be put off by the ruthless British hacks. "I have faith in you, young man." he reassured Ben.

Erm, I may have a bit of a problem with updates this week, as luck would have it I have a massive report to finish on my last week of work. So hopefully you guys are a bit patient and await the next episode next week, when I finally get freedom. icon_biggrin.gif

Haha. It is made up. I wish I could write a book. icon_razz.gif

Anyway, sod work, here's the next update.

Ben Cee, Arsene Wenger, some of the coaching staff and a couple of lawyers turned up at the London Cown Court for the hearing. This was arguably the most pivotal point in Ben's life, and could ultimately decide his career, or even his life.

So, the hearing started.

Magistrate: "Why, young man, do you think you deserve a work permit in your opinion?"

Ben: "I think that I can contribute a lot to this football club, and indirectly to this country."

M: "But you don't have a past history of contribution to your own country. What makes you qualified to say you will do so here? You haven't even held a job prior to this, let alone have a professional career."

Now this was true. The facts started to hit him hard. It was not looking good.

The lawyers then cut in, arguing how Ben was an exceptional talent who should be given a chance to prove himself. All in all it was a very nervous time for this young man, as the words flew between the lawyers and the magistrate.

After about three hours of debate, the magistrate called for recess, with the verdict to be reached afterwards. This only served to prolong the agony of young Ben.

After recess, they re-assembled back in court, where the magistrate delivered his verdict.

M: "Ben Cee, in view of your past history and lack of contribution, I would have to deny you the right of a work permit allowing you to work in this country."

The room went silent. Ben was stunned, and was nearly in tears. Wenger was surprised too, for he expected success.

Ben's dream seemed in tatters now, and he had absolutely no idea what his next step would be. Not only could he not play, he had to pack his bags and return to Singapore, where he would have to face his friends and family, and be labelled as a failure.

Ben was inconsolable that night.

What would happen next for this young man? Stay tuned...

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

Back in Arsene's office at the Emirates, the manager had a little chat with the young man.

AW: "I'm real sorry it didn't work out. But I do hope you make good use of your time when you go back, and if you improve we may take you on again."

BC: "But..." Ben could hardly think of anything to say. He was still in shock over the decision, yet he was still adamant to pursue a football career.

However, if there's one thing Ben has, it's a quick thinking and creative mind. And so he suggested to Wenger

"How about I sign the contract, then you loan me to a Singaporean club until I get enough recognition, then you take me back?"

AW: "Hmmm...Sounds a bit risky that."

But Ben pleaded with Wenger to give it a try. By now Ben was starting to become somewhat well-known in his country, and surely any club back there would jump at the chance to have a player on loan from Arsenal. It all could work. Once Ben got famous and has played a few games for his country, he might be able to apply for a work permit again.

Wenger pondered over this for a while, then he decided

"I suppose this could work. You get valuable match experience without the homesickness, and can come train with us during the off-season. Sure, let's give it a go."

Great! Ben thought. There's a silver lining after all. His dream is not over yet.

Thanks mate. icon_smile.gif

So it was decided. Ben was to stay contracted to Arsenal, but sent out on loan to a Singaporean League club. He would be paid 250 pounds a week by Arsenal, and will have to return to England after the end of each S-League season for intensive training, before being sent out again until he gets his work permit.

Using the many scouts and contacts at Arsenal, and some help from Ben himself, Wenger asked the S-League clubs if they were interested in taking Ben on loan. Of course, with Ben being a mini celebrity back in his homeland now, they all jumped at the chance. So now it's up to Ben to choose which club he wants to join.

Obviously, Ben chose the club that was located just outside his house, Woodlands Wellington. Mainly for convenience purposes (because he can simply walk home after training and matches) but also because he was a fan of the club somewhat.

And so, with the arrangements done, Ben was scheduled to fly back to Singapore. Waving goodbye to Chris, his caretaker during his brief stay in London, and the Arsenal staff, he boarded the plane from Heathrow to Changi Airport in Singapore. Little was he to know what would happen next...

Sod it. I'm just gonna sneak one in. Not like they're gonna fire me anyway. icon_razz.gif

On the flight home, Ben was constantly worrying about the reception he would get. He still thought of himself as a failure, and was expecting nobody at all to greet him. Or even worse, people to jeer at him for being a loser.

He tried to psyche himself for such a situation, but he had no idea how wrong he was...

Upon arrival at Changi Airport's Arrival Hall, he was suddenly taken aback. Not only was his family there to greet him, but there were hundreds of fans, shouting his name and giving him what amounted to a hero's welcome.

"I love Ben!", "Ben's the best!" were among the placards he could see. There were people clamouring for his autograph, and girls wanting to take photos with him. Ben had never gotten such attention before, so he was understandably awkward about it.

This is great, Ben thought to himself. But if he thinks he could relax now, he would be mistaken. It hasn't even begun yet...

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting story so far Ben, hopefully some more updates will come soonish

Slightly off topic:

Just a quick note if you're interested or any of your other readers are the FMS awards are coming up soon for more information you can read here

FMS Awards - Inroduction

They're user-nominated and user-voted awards; if you're interested in voting - remember, even "lurkers" who've not posted a thing are eligible to vote! - you can register to vote at

FMS Award - Registration

Woo, awards! I'm not looking to win any, but it's nice that this gets a bit of recognition. icon_biggrin.gif

As Ben prepared to head out of his house for his first training session with Woodlands, he received a call.

"Hello"

"Hello, is this Ben?"

"Yes sir, I'm Ben"

"Ben, it's Mr Wenger here. I'm sorry to give you such short notice, but if possible can you fly back to England as soon as possible? There's some things I need to discuss and show you."

"Wha'?" Ben was in a state of shock over the news.

"Don't worry about the costs. We'll pay fo your airfare and everything. Just pack your bags and head over as quick as you can."

"Um...Okay" Ben stuttered.

"We've informed Woodlands about this too, so you need not do so."

Ben hurriedly packed his bags, and rushed to the airport in a cab.

After another long haul flight to London, which was quickly tiring poor young Ben out, Ben made his way to the Emirates Stadium.

The following conversation ensued between Wenger and Ben:

AW: We've just received news of a change of rules by the British Home Office. Apparantly, because Singapore is a former British colony and part of the Commonwealth, all citizens from now on no longer need a work permit to work here.

B(hardly believing his ears): Wow, that's great then.

AW: So, that means from now on, you can stay here and play for us.

B(thinking long and hard): That would be good sir, but...

AW: But?

B: I'd like to try my luck playing on loan for Woodlands first, to get a bit of first team football. Is that possible sir?

AW: Sure, if you think that will aid your development. However, we have the right to recall you anytime we wish.

B: Sure thing sir.

AW: All that long haul flights must be tiring you out. Do take a proper rest, and we'll arrange your flight back tomorrow.

B: Thank you very much sir.

The next morning, Ben woke up as he prepared for his fourth transcontinental flight in a short period of time. "Oh, why isn't Singapore in Europe?" silly Ben thought.

As soon as he touched down, again, the jet-lagged Ben reported to the Woodlands Stadium for training. As the Singapore League runs on a different schedule as the English League, the season had already been halfway through. Ben could still be registered for matches, but it will be a tough task for him to break into the first team at that point.

Woodlands' manager, Jorg Steinbrunner, was a German who had spent his twilight of his playing career at the club. Under the tutelage of Woodlands coaching legend R.Vengadasalam, Jorg learnt the ropes of management and when Venga jumped ship to become Tampines Rovers' Director of Football, Jorg took over and moulded the team from perennial underachievers to one that could challenge for titles on a regular basis.

Jorg introduced the coaching staff to Ben. Laurence Lau is the assistant manager who will help Jorg out. Jeffery Tham is the first team coach, Sivarajan is in charge of the youths and reserves, and will help Ben develop his skills, and Joseph D'Angelus will be in charge of fitness training.

And that was it. A total of five staff members. You could tell money was tight at Woodlands.

However, Woodlands had one of the strongest squads in the S-League. Ben already knew some of them from watching the matches on TV and observing them training on the field outside his house, but Jorg gave a brief introduction anyway.

Some of the major stalwarts in the side were:

Yazid Yasin - First choice keeper, previously played for Home Utd and arch-rivals Sembawang before joining Woodlands.

Bah Mamadou - Malian defender who has acquired Singaporean citizenship. Is now the mainstay in the centre of defence alongside Romanian Lucien Dronca after the departure of Singapore international Daniel Bennett to SAFFC. No-nonsense journeyman defender

Lucien Dronca - Romanian defender who came from Maltese side Birkirkara. One of the biggest stars in the side, and forms a solid partnership with Mamadou.

Azlan Alipah - Former Tampines rightback, will be tutoring Ben for the coming season.

Ahmad Latiff - Hot headed striker who has had his fair share of troubles with officials throughout the most of his career. Club captain.

Laakkad Abdelhadi - Star striker from Morocco. Current top scorer in the league and proving an able replacement for former Woodlands favourite Agu Casmir, who has left for Gombak Utd.

Akihiro Nakamura - Japanese Defensive midfielder who has acquired Singapore nationality as well. His friendly personality belies his tough tackling role on the pitch.

Park Tae Won - Another one who has gotten his Singaporean passport, this Korean veteran striker can usually be depended on to get goals for the club. Perfect strike partner for the deadly Laakkad

Ali Imran Lomri - Left winger mostly known for his shining bald pate and his temperement. However, on his day, his crosses can be deadly for the opposition defence.

That's the introduction mostly done with, now for the real business of playing.

Ben was given the 33 shirt at the club, at his request. His favourite 3 was taken by his mentor Alipah, so he had to make do with 33.

Jorg told Ben in no uncertain terms that he will have to work his way up and fight for his place in the first team squad. There would be no preferential treatment simply because he was on loan from Arsenal. Ben understood this but as long as he was playing, be it in the reserves or first team, he was satisfied. All he was looking for was to improve his skills sufficiently so that he could cut it for Arsenal.

At the time of Ben signing, Woodlands was in second place in the league, behind the Young Lions, which was basically the Singapore U-23 team. Home Utd and SAFFC were breathing down their necks in 3rd and 4th place as the title race seemed to be going down to the wire.

The board had hoped that Woodlands would qualify for continental competition that season. Normally that would entail either winning the league or Singapore Cup. But as the Young Lions would be ineligible for continental competition, finishing in second place to them would be sufficient. Nevertheless, the club promised that they would do their utmost to bring silverware to the club, something which they haven't done in their entire history, incredibly.

Thanks mate

Ben spent most of the remainder of the season playing games for the Woodlands U-18 and Reserves, as he sought to build his fitness and skill level.

The first team, meanwhile, was playing their hearts out as they were looking to finish in their best ever position in the league. With a handful of games to go Woodlands were still in 2nd place, but they had built quite a big lead over the teams behind them. Going into the final day they were one point behind the Young Lions, who played SAFFC whilst Woodlands travelled to disposed champions Tampines. It was going to be a nail-biting finish.

However, they had been on a magnificent cup run that brought them to the final of the Singapore, with a magnificent semi-final win over SAFFC. Their final opponents were Albirex Niigata's Singapore feeder team, who despite struggling in the league, accounted for the Young Lions during their own cup run.

However, Albirex, like the Young Lions, cannot qualify for continental competition as well. As such, Woodlands has achieved their target now regardless of what happens. But there will be no let up however, as the team desperatly wants some silverware to show for their hard work.

Jorg Steinbrunner realised that he had played for much of the season without a recognised left back. He had used a variety of players, but none had performed as effectively as he had liked.

He apporoached Ben one day during training an said:

"Ben, I would like to try you out at left back for our final league game at Tampines. Would you be able to adapt?"

Ben's eyes lighted up upon hearing that. He's going to play for the first team! In the crucial title match as well! Even though he would be playing out of position, first team football is still first team football.

Ben quickly agreed, excited at his chance. Jorg then pencilled in his name for the team sheet. "I hope you won't let me down." the coach remarked.

What will happen? Will Woodlands finally get some silverware? Or even better, will they achive a remarkable double? And what will happen to Ben afterwards? Will Arsenal recall him?

Sorry, sorry. I've been a bit busy lately. I'll rush a couple now, but the next one won't be soon. Next week Tuesday earliest. Sorry guys.

So, Woodlands travelled to the Tampines Stadium with Ben Cee making his first team debut at left back. The team however, will be keeping one eye on the result at the Jalan Besar Stadium, where the Young Lions hosted SAFFC.

Midway through the first half, Ahmad Latiff scored after a brilliant run to put Woodlands in the lead. However, it didn't last very long, as veteran Croatian-Singaporean striker Mirko Grabovac equalised for the home side.

Shortly before half time, Aliff Shafaein put Tampines in the lead after a quick counter attack. This meant that Woodlands went into the break behind despite out-playing the Stags for much of the game so far.

At half time news filtered through that the Young Lions had taken a 1-0 lead through Fazrul Nawaz. Fazrul was the only striker who even came close to Laakad in the S-League scoring charts, and that goal drew him level with Laakad for the Golden Boot honours. It also meant that the title would go to the Young Lions unless SAFFC popped in an equaliser AND Woodlands find two goals to overhaul Tampines in the second half. It seemed an uphill task...

The Rams trooped out for the second half with renewed vigour. Ben had never felt such an atmosphere before, and was determined to do his best not only to help his team win, but also impress the coach so that he might get a starting slot for the Cup Final in a week's time.

It didn't take long for the equalised to come. Barely 5 minutes in fact. Tampines failed to clear a corner and winger Ali Imran sent a semi cross-shot across the goal and past everybody, settling into the net. It was a bit of a fluke goal, but hey, you take them as they come.

Both teams continued to press for the winner (despite Tampines not having anything to play fro except pride), and the fast tempo of the game was quickly wearing poor young Ben out. Then, with 5 minutes to go, Woodlands found themselves on a break. Laakad found himself in open space and one-on-one with Rezal Hassan, the Tampines keeper. There could only be one outcome...

GOAL!!! The entire Woodlands bench were off the bench celebrating. But it was not over yet however. Not only do they have to hold their lead, they needed SAFFC to do them the ultimate favour. However, that goal meant that unless Fazrul went crazy against SAFFC, Laakad was set for the Golden Boot.

The final whistle blew, and the Woodlands team gathered round nervously, waiting for the result from the Jalan Besar Stadium. You could cut the tension with knife. Ben gathered with the team, anxiously listening to the report. Finally, the news came...

The Woodlands players started to walk off disappointed. They had did their part, but SAFFC didn't play their part of the bargain. The Young Lions held on to their first-half lead and won the title by one point from Woodlands.

It was so close yet so far. Ben could feel the disappointment in the dressing room, but Jorg rallied the troops. 'C'mon guys! We have a Cup Final next week. Chins up, we have another shot at silverware!' It was hard not to admire the German's positivity.

Some of the team consoled themselves, claiming that they would try harder next year. However, Ben was uncertain. He didn't even know whether he would still be at Woodlands next season, so that might have been a missed chance at getting an S-League title.

Coming up, the Cup Final

Shortly after the Tampines game, Woodlands received a blow. First choice keeper Yazid Yasin tore a knee ligament and had to go for surgury, ruling him out of the final. Yazid was gutted. He had played so well for Woodlands throughout the season, and now had to miss the most important match of their season. The team felt upset for him too.

His replacement would be Mohamad Luqman, who had only played a couple of first team matches that season and didn't look exactly match fit. Now he was going to be thrown into the deep end in such a high-pressure game. It didn't do much for the defence's confidence.

The Football Association of Singapore (FAS) decided to bring forward the cup final by a day, which didn't go down well for the team, for it meant one lest day of rest after their exertions.

It didn't matter to Albirex however. Because the league had an odd number of teams (11), one team had to complete their fixtures before the final day. That team was Albirex, and as such they had extra rest anyway to prepare themselves for the cup final. One day less didn't make much difference to them.

Regardless, both teams trooped out for what would be the last Singapore Cup final at the National Stadium at Kallang before the 'Old Lady' was to be torn down and redeveloped. Jorg stuck with Ben for the left back position, which greatly delighted the youngster. He'd never thought he would play his second competitve match at the Grand Dame of Singapore football.

Both teams kicked off with attacking intent. Both came close to scoring, but in the 22nd minute, Woodlands opened the account. Park Tae Won found himself free and slotted past the Albirex keeper. It was a dream start for the Rams.

However, it was not to be. Just before half time, Woodlands was caught on the counter again, and Eiichiro Ozaki ran almost unchallenged for nearly half the field before slotting past Mohamad Luqman. Both teams thus went into the break level.

Despite Jorg's half time encouragement, both teams failed to break the deadlock in the second half. Not that they didn't try though, but they both wasted chance after chance. So it went to extra time.

Tired Woodlands thus recieved this pep talk:

"Guys, we've come so far. We can make it. Albirex is a team we'll easily beat. Just try to find some more energy in your legs, and hold out for another half an hour. Even if we go to penalties, we'll beat them. C'mon lads, we can do it!"

However, it was not to be. Ozaki got his second goal before the end of first half ET after more sloppy defending from the now drained Woodlands defence.

When the second half kicked off, Woodlands weren't even sure that they could hold up anymore, let alone find an equaliser. But worse was to come...

"Here's young Ben with the ball. He passes back to the keeper Luqman. Luqman has to come out for this, for it's a fair way out. Luqman comes out...OH HE MISSES THE BALL! Luqman missed it! Oh, the ball is trickling into the net now. It's going in. It's in! Oh what a mistake for the keeper to make! What a tragedy for Woodlands! The team must be gutted now. Not least the young defender Ben Cee. What a way to mark your second appearance, at the cup final as well. Oh dearie me..."

And that was that. The keeper's tragic mistake sealed the game really. The entire team just didn't have the confidence to continue, and simply played the ball around till the final whistle. They all collapsed on the ground in exhaustion at the final whistle.

This was possible Ben's last game for Woodlands, and he certainly didn't want it to end it like that. He was almost in tears, but being a resiliant young man he didn't want anybody to see him crying.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Ben, a question.

Are you actually playing a game of FM here? Just curious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, it's all made up. Off the top of my head. icon_wink.gif

Archived