Story Ideas & Discussion Thread

Terk

I don't know if any of you have read Penguins Stopped Play, if you haven't it is feckin hilarious.

Well the plot of the story is a tam of village cricketers go on a world tour going to Barbados, Buenos Aires, Australia, Singapore, South Arica. Games on 5 different continents. (for europe they were just going to play a game outside london when they get back.)

It sounds simple doesn't it well it soon went wrong becuase Quantas and Lan-Chile were the only airlines that flew from South America to Australia and they were part of the One World Group it meant they had to book through British Airways. After the 12 month Kerfuffle to get there tickets they finally made the world tour flying first to america where two of the South Aficans on there team were arrested by an idiotic anti terorrism officials. In barbados they encounter cunning drug dealers. In argentina they find Tom an idiotic Welshman dressed as santa bonking and Argentinian colonels wife in Sydney they meet Gay australian waiters. and you get there point their tour turned out horribally for them

i was thinking of implementing the idea into Fm either over a Pre season period were i will play 3 games against 3 different teams from the 6 different continents.

or i will create a superleague with 3 teams from 6 continents plus 1 bonus team and my team.

Razor

That is a bloody cool story. I'd love to read it.

Someone should attempt it with footballers in real life. I'm sure it'll be hilarious. :D

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is a bloody cool story. I'd love to read it.

Someone should attempt it with footballers in real life. I'm sure it'll be hilarious. :D

Cheers Ben.

I have been thinking of some possible titles

Around the world in 8000 beers.

or

20 chubby b******ds Tour the world

What do you think

Razor

That's great - but I as a writer don't know that about someone who trolls the forum and doesn't post. Therefore, the writer must be careful. And don't forget you're posting on the net, so someone might lift your work and put it in a place you do not want it to go. You have to account for these things.

Absolutely, there are lots of youngsters on these forums and we should bear that in mind and post responsibly. The Hosts and Moderators of this forum have a part to play in that in setting the limits or rules as to acceptable content.

Having said that though, I don't think the themes mentioned (drugs/ addiction/ depression/ mental health) are at all unacceptable. These subjects are at least as relevant to teenagers as to older readers, and I can't see a reason not to address them. As long as the main thrust of the story concerns the thing that brought us all here: football (and FM in particular).

I'm not sure what you mean about accounting for work being lifted and placed where you wouldn't want it to go. If my expletive-filled post on NonStopSwearing.com gets crossposted to SweetnessAndLight.org by some malicious soul and causes great offence, the person to blame is the crossposter, not me. I may regret that my words have caused offence but I'm not going to moderate my tone on NonStopSwearing.com as a result (I'd presumably get kicked from there if I did).

Mytton, I remember reading awhile back (some of the more veteran posters might recall better than I) that some work from this forum was showing up on other FM story forums without the permission of the author. My only concern (perhaps a small one, perhaps over the top) is that something I posted here was placed elsewhere without my blessing. And since the net is not exactly a secret place any more, it might not be where you want it to go.

I agree that mature themes shouldn't be taboo - my own stories deal with them, and perhaps the best example on the board of a mature theme is Copperhorse21's fantastic thread at the moment -- but it's all in how they are related to the reader.

Ah, hell. Time to change my opening post :(

Sorry! :p

In all seriousness though, the "I'm a nobody appointed out of the blue to my favourite club" shows a lack of effort, a lack of thought, and no sense of realism which will probably reflect on the nature of the story to follow.

The other overused opening which I detest, and which makes me stop reading unless the quality of the writing is exceptional, is the "I was a promising footballer until injury ended my career". Now some people are okay with that of course, I don't like it.

Then again, I'm just a miserable old git who hasn't written a story worth reading. My first and only story thus far ended 1 and a half seasons in on what was page 3 back in the day I think.

Disclaimer: Oh, and that was not pointed at you specifically, as it can't be as you haven't written the opening, I think!

Tentheeleader, I see what you mean about a story being lifted and posted elsewhere without permission. We do have to accept the possibility when posting on the internet. It 's just a matter of acceptance, I suppose, though, because ultimately it can't be stopped.

My personal preference as a reader is for the extra depth of stories fleshed out with mature/darker themes (I don't necessarily practice what I preach, depending on the extent to which I am playing it for laughs), which is just one of many reasons I am enjoying catching up with yours and Copperhorse's stories.

When I write stories, I put something on the story saying "distribute wherever you like, but ask first". If someone posts one of my stories somewhere inappropriate without my consent, then that's their problem.

Tentheeleader, I see what you mean about a story being lifted and posted elsewhere without permission. We do have to accept the possibility when posting on the internet. It 's just a matter of acceptance, I suppose, though, because ultimately it can't be stopped.

My personal preference as a reader is for the extra depth of stories fleshed out with mature/darker themes (I don't necessarily practice what I preach, depending on the extent to which I am playing it for laughs), which is just one of many reasons I am enjoying catching up with yours and Copperhorse's stories.

Well, technically you can stop it if you have the money -- there are intellectual property rules involved -- but I just want to keep my good name. Such as it is :D

Thanks for the kind words about my writing - they are greatly appreciated!

You could call death a bit of 'mature content' - and it never mattered to some people.

In regards to somebody else posting work that doesn't belong to them - if they're taking credit for work someone else has done, I'd be ripping them a new one. Doing that is the sign of a lazy sun of a gun who can't be arsed writing his own work. I can't stand it, to be honest.

If they're giving credit to the original poster, then I'm not entirely fussed - just as long as it's being lifted and dropped onto a new site. Editing is a no-no. :D

Something I've always wondered... would you say:

"Barnet are winning"

or

"Barnet is winning"

I've always thought it was the first one, but recently I've noticed a few otherwise eloquent and grammatically tip-top people around here using the second one...

That depends on whether "Barnet" (or any other football team) is a singular or plural noun. In general, American writers tend to the singular and English ones to the plural, but either is acceptable. The important thing is to be consistent.

That depends on whether "Barnet" (or any other football team) is a singular or plural noun. In general, American writers tend to the singular and English ones to the plural, but either is acceptable. The important thing is to be consistent.

Correct. As an American writer, I use the English usage exclusively, while on this forum.

The best analogy I have heard on this came from the writer Shelby Foote, who described the United States' transformation after our Civil War. He said that before the war, people would write how "the United States are" ... and after the war and the Union victory people wrote in the singular (the United States is). He said the Civil War "made us an 'is'."

I don't know if any of you have read Penguins Stopped Play, if you haven't it is feckin hilarious.

Well the plot of the story is a tam of village cricketers go on a world tour going to Barbados, Buenos Aires, Australia, Singapore, South Arica. Games on 5 different continents. (for europe they were just going to play a game outside london when they get back.)

It sounds simple doesn't it well it soon went wrong becuase Quantas and Lan-Chile were the only airlines that flew from South America to Australia and they were part of the One World Group it meant they had to book through British Airways. After the 12 month Kerfuffle to get there tickets they finally made the world tour flying first to america where two of the South Aficans on there team were arrested by an idiotic anti terorrism officials. In barbados they encounter cunning drug dealers. In argentina they find Tom an idiotic Welshman dressed as santa bonking and Argentinian colonels wife in Sydney they meet Gay australian waiters. and you get there point their tour turned out horribally for them

i was thinking of implementing the idea into Fm either over a Pre season period were i will play 3 games against 3 different teams from the 6 different continents.

or i will create a superleague with 3 teams from 6 continents plus 1 bonus team and my team.

Razor

It's a brilliant book, i'll give you that!

What are the rules of writing stories about other games (i.e non-Si related games)? Personally I would be interested in writing a story on my American Football PBeM team that I participate with on a website; but other than here (and of the course the league's personal website) I cannot think of anywhere in which readers would be interested.

"Barnet are winning"

or

"Barnet is winning"

I've always thought it was the first one, but recently I've noticed a few otherwise eloquent and grammatically tip-top people around here using the second one...

It depends on how you view it really.

Barnet is a team. You can see is as one team, so singular. Or you can see it as a team of people, so plural.

So, as mentioned, both are acceptable.

What are the rules of writing stories about other games (i.e non-Si related games)? Personally I would be interested in writing a story on my American Football PBeM team that I participate with on a website; but other than here (and of the course the league's personal website) I cannot think of anywhere in which readers would be interested.

I also write on Booksie.com (thanks to someone who posted a link some time back), so you may give it a try.

Although, it must be said, a lot of readers there are 15 year old girls, so I'm not sure how popular a sports story will become over there. :o

You can read my stuff over there for a comparision. My sports stories get zero comments, while my 'love' ones drive the girls wild. :D

It depends on how you view it really.

Barnet is a team. You can see is as one team, so singular. Or you can see it as a team of people, so plural.

So, as mentioned, both are acceptable.

Well, actually even if you look at it as a team of people it's a collective noun and strictly speaking should be singular, which is why MS Word picks you up when you use it in plural. I still think using it in plural is ok but I can't find any grammatical explanation for why. Oh well :thup:

"Barnet are winning"

or

"Barnet is winning"

"are winning" always

In British usage it is always plural. The grammatical justification may be a stretch, but that's the way it are (sorry, is) here. Thus, Stoke City ARE in danger of relegation, Nottingham Forest ARE in the Championship and Southampton ARE going into administration. It definitely grates to a British ear to hear IS instead of ARE in any of these cases.

Having said that, the one way the singular usage is accepted is if the qualifier 'Football Club' as added. So you could say either 'Newcastle United ARE putting their faith in Alan Shearer'' or 'Newcastle United Football Club IS putting it's faith in Alan Shearer'.

In US usage it is rather different. The location is singular (Chicago leads Houston 4-3 in the 5th inning) but the nicknames are plural (the Yankees are looking forward to playing in their new stadium; the Bears are excited about their new quarterback). I won't even begin to try to make a singular out of the grotesque 'Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim' though;)

Add to that the unfortunate fact that American clubs have an increasing irritating habit of selecting non-plural nicknames. I can't tell you how much I detest that practice.

I write with the English usage because I know the majority of my readers are non-Americans. It is a bit of a concession as my main characters to date have all been Yanks, but I try to make it as easy as possible for the reader to follow.

Also, Adebayor had an annoyingly good game for Arsenal today...

Three ideas here could you tell me which you like most and which you think would be easiest to do.

1) Wonderkids United- A team full of -10 player placed in BSP. I will document there rise to stardom.

2) Joop Jooper- a player and blogger- Tales about a young player written in first person through style of a blog.

3) Fall from grace- a top premiership team has fallen into severe financial trouble. They have been placed in BSP with immediate effect. what will happen?

For chrissakes, stick to one thing will you? You have a story, challenge, sign-up, and then start new ones every week. Its no wonder CSE don't like you, you start a new sign up every week (or more often), and the same with challenges...

If you're writing just to try and impress the FMS community and not because you enjoy doing it, then why even bother writing, m1234...? The fact that you want us to tell you which would be easiest to do blares out to me that you're trying to impress the community and gain some reputation back (which you have obviously lost a lot of in the CSE forum, given those infractions I see and your 'location').

If you enjoy writing, then I offer you this advice - go with your gut instinct. You don't always have to come back to the Community Thread or this thread to ask what would be the best option for you to take.

You don't even need to have some kind of special scenario - all you need is to choose a club to manage and use a bit of imagination. Then all you do is see what the game throws up for you - and use your imagination to create the world and give your characters a true personality and background. Take a look at the work of tenthreeleader and flipsix3 - they both created a background for their main characters (Rob Ridgway and Edgar Allen respectively), chose a club and used their imagination and the game to create storylines and fill in the world around them.

More importantly, you need to enjoy what you're doing (writing and the game) - if one becomes boring, you end up giving up on the story.

Right, a few things for me to address in here:

1) m1234....... stop whoring your ideas for sign-ups.

2) Always, always, always, always use the plural (Liverpool are) as the singular just reads completely wrong to me. I accept that, grammatically, both are perfectly right, but we invented the language on this side of the pond, so stick to our common usage :p

3) The forum is called Football Manager Stories, so we only allow stories based on that game (or SI-made versions of CM). However, the FMS accompaniment site that I'm building will have a forum and stories based on other games will be welcome there.

4) In the case of 'mature content'. We do have to accept that we are posting on the forum of a major games company, and that that forum is public. So, whilst I am not saying in any way that users shouldn't have mature content in their stories, I think that, if you do plan to use it, it would be prudent to include a disclaimer in your opening post. Not in the title, but certainly as an advisory note, very visible in your opening post.

Could I start a help thread where experienced writers help new writers like me?

Isn't that what this thread is for, pretty much??? Oh, and it's not always a case of experienced writers helping the new ones; there are some really good stories coming from relative newbies...

Ooo interesting' date=' what is the ETA of the FMS accompaniment site going to up and running Terk?[/quote']

That depends largely on how long it takes me to get the updated history written. It's a long job, digging through the mess of the archives, remembering the big events from each year. The very, very latest it will go live will be for the start of the awards process, which will be in September, but I hope to have it up well before then. My hope is that I can get it done by the end of next month, but that is dependent on me finding the time to do the work. I think we're more realistically looking at June/July.

Qualifying that further, the awards process will start in the second half of September, and the awards night will be in late October. At a guess right now, I'd say Sunday 25th October is the most likely date.

It is indeed my intention to do the prelim round again this year, and that process will need to start by the middle of this month. I'll PM you during the week when I've figured out a timetable and exactly what needs done :thup:

Franchise FC- A new American team placed in MLS. Follows life of their manager and the golden oldies they sign.

Pardon my ignorance, but why would you need to create a new team to make that scenario work? Every team in the MLS is a franchise, and they all have to deal with the same roster restrictions, such as the salary cap and "international" slots.

Just load up a game, pick a team and get to it :)

Do you have an award for worst writer award!?

I need to win something!

You probably wouldn't even win that one! :p

I'm looking forward to being more involved in the awards process this year, given I was still quite new and felt it was a tad strange to try and be involved last year.

Too bad I don't think I have any stories here that qualify for awards given I've barely even written up 1 pre-season friendly for The Voice From Beyond, let alone an entire season... :(

The way my writing is going right now, I'll be lucky to have completed a full season by Christmas! :D

Pretty similar here - though a full season by mid-2010 wouldn't be too bad. :D

Anyway, I'd love to be more involved in the awards ceremony this time around - as much as introducing the ceremony was nice last year. :)

Archived