Story Ideas & Discussion Thread

Terk

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty similar here - though a full season by mid-2010 wouldn't be too bad. :D

Anyway, I'd love to be more involved in the awards ceremony this time around - as much as introducing the ceremony was nice last year. :)

I've got two unpublished stories on the go, one in a fictional place based on my challenge database, and one set in Germany. I've got the first one written up to February game wise with most of my opening off the field events written up but still need to intertwine during the season events with the prose.

I've played up to the beginning of the following season so have some catching up to do game wise. My problem is that as I am determined not to publish until I'm two seasons ahead, I'm being a perfectionist and continuously revising what I've written and rewriting it, which makes it a long process and means its going slowly!

On my Germany story, apart from the fact I couldn't get the German national team to work for it, I've rewritten the opening paragraph about a dozen times and I'm still not happy! Not sure on whether I will make it a story but I find it really hard nowaways, since discovering FMS, to play FM without wanting to make my saved game into a story.

what awards are there?

It changes from year to year depending on whether a category has enough eligible stories to make it worthwhile, but for last year the list was:

Best Story Idea

Best Short Story

Best Rest of the World Story

Most Missed FMSer

Best Scottish Story

Best International Management Story

Best English Story

Best Story Character

Funniest Story

Best Newcomer

Funniest Writer

Writer of the Year

Story of the Year

FMSer of the Year

This year I'm pretty sure that Best Fantasy/Super League Story will make a return, given how many 'sign-up' games we've had going on. Best Scottish Story and Best English Story have often been amalgamated into Best British Story, but I don't think we'll have to do that this year.

It changes from year to year depending on whether a category has enough eligible stories to make it worthwhile, but for last year the list was:

Best Story Idea

Best Short Story

Best Rest of the World Story

Most Missed FMSer

Best Scottish Story

Best International Management Story

Best English Story

Best Story Character

Funniest Story

Best Newcomer

Funniest Writer

Writer of the Year

Story of the Year

FMSer of the Year

This year I'm pretty sure that Best Fantasy/Super League Story will make a return, given how many 'sign-up' games we've had going on. Best Scottish Story and Best English Story have often been amalgamated into Best British Story, but I don't think we'll have to do that this year.

Damm, I fill into about 1 of those categories and that's newcomer..but looking at other stories, they have far more quality...There's always next year....wait, which Award has the least candidates, I can always start one up :p

Well you never know, PFM. There seem to be quite a few 'lurkers' out there and some people prefer stories that are 100% based on football rather than those stories that have a bit of the off-field stuff.

But then again, what do I know, I've never experienced the awards before :p

I'm not bothered to be honest, There are some great writers on here, i'd like to have the chance to vote for. The way I write is for my enjoyment, although I know it's not going to be award winning stuff. I just look forward to the evening!

Oh and my next story "Mad as a Hatter!"....hope you can guess who i'm being!

Looks like the best International Management story will be hotly contested this year too, a whole string of em have appeared this year (don't remember many around last year), most with smaller, more obscure countries too, which is great.

Is it too early for the nomination criteria to be out Terk? I can't remember the fiddly bits of the awards like that given I wasn't very involved last year...

I wish tenthree would stay in the foreign leagues and give people a chance at the English category!

Seriously though, it's him and copper. Maybe SCIAG, JamboJen. Could be interesting.

Wega, when I first found this forum I couldn't imagine playing FM without writing. But it didn't really suit my style after a while - I tend to write while I'm playing - and eventually I lost a bit of the fun in playing the game. That's why the Gravy Train has been in lapse - I left it and played an 09 save with Benfica, unfettered by stories etc. Hopefully I can hang in long enough to finish this story off.

Looks like the best International Management story will be hotly contested this year too, a whole string of em have appeared this year (don't remember many around last year), most with smaller, more obscure countries too, which is great.

Is it too early for the nomination criteria to be out Terk? I can't remember the fiddly bits of the awards like that given I wasn't very involved last year...

OK, in terms of eligibility, let me try and explain (I'll probably do a very bad job given how late it is):

• To be eligible for an award (save for Best Short Story), a story must have completed at least one season of game time by the end of the registration period for the final nomination round (so sometime in September).
  • In the interim nomination round, you may nominate a story which has not completed a season of game time, but its nomination will be conditional on the eligibility requirements being met in the previously stated time frame.
  • Any story which has previously won Story of the Year is no longer eligible to be nominated.
  • Any story which has won an award other than Story of the Year (eg, Best English Story) is only eligible to be nominated in Story of the Year.
  • Any writer who has written an awards eligible story is eligible for a writing award.
  • Any writer who has begun their first story in FMS during the current awards year, and has written an awards eligible story, is eligible for Best Newcomer.
  • You may not vote for yourself in the awards process.
  • To be eligible for Most Missed FMSer, a user must not have posted at all in FMS in the current awards year.
  • To be eligible to win an award, a user must register to vote (and cast their vote) in at least one of the interim or final nomination rounds.

This is all yet to be confirmed, there are minor rule changes each year as we figure out what I screwed up during the previous awards, and there are other stipulations as well that I can't quite remember yet, but those are the main issues that seem to crop up every year.

To be eligible for Most Missed FMSer, a user must not have posted at all in FMS in the current awards year

I don't like this rule, for all intents and purposes, Amaroq is absent from FMS, vanished. His Story of the Year lays unfinished and he posted once when someone started a story mentioning him.

Whatever the rules say, I'm nominating him :p

And the Best Newcomer thing looks to be ruling out SCIAG when he was also ruled out of last year's... He began during the last awards year but only just so it wasn't eligible, this criteria looks like it won't allow him a shot at that because of that.

And the Best Newcomer thing looks to be ruling out SCIAG when he was also ruled out of last year's... He began during the last awards year but only just so it wasn't eligible, this criteria looks like it won't allow him a shot at that because of that.

And it looks pretty similar for me - Knight won't be finished for a long time yet.

http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=1868974&postcount=358

Awards Winners

Best Story Idea - Employee of the Month (chesterfan2)

Best Short Story - It Was Just One of Those Weeks (Spav)

Best Rest of the World Story - American Calcio – Padova FM 2008 (tenthreeleader)

Most Missed FMSer - Wimb the Barman

Best Scottish Story - Scottish Reprise – Return to East Stirling (Faramir)

Best International Management Story - Thank **** the Wolly with the Brolly Has Gone (mark wilson27)

Best English Story - The Life & Times of Michael Strang (Terk)

Best Story Character - Michael Strang (Terk)

Funniest Story - Employee of the Month (chesterfan2)

Best Newcomer - tenthreeleader

Funniest Writer - Spav

Writer of the Year - tenthreeleader

Story of the Year - American Calcio – Padova FM 2008 (tenthreeleader)

FMSer of the Year - Terk

I notice that the awards are held in the middle of the night Singapore time.

And so, I demand that this year's awards be held in Singapore, so that I can attend without falling asleep.

:D

The last were in China. You can't have it all.

It was an idea from someone else, and certainly not one that will be taken on board. There will be no new awards this year, though some may come out of hibernation given renewed interest in writing stories eligible for them.

How old is tenthree' date=' I thought he'd be pretty old for Young writers award?

How young do you have to be...[/quote']

I didn't win the young writer award, because there isn't one. I won newcomer of the year. :) My age is in my profile.

For those of you who have little sense of irony (;)), I was pointing out to m12... that he wouldn't win either award even though he designed them himself. Both rubbish ideas.

And I WILL have There's No Time... finished by the deadline. I've written almost all of the bvack story now, so there's just a lot of back story to do.

Ahh yes' date=' I see it...yep you definatly won't be winning young writer of the year ;):p

(runs for his life)[/quote']

Oh come on, how fast do you actually have to run. He's almost as old as me ;)

Thinking of starting a new story, that will mainly be written over the summer holidays to keep me occupied.

I either want to do a story in the US, Germany or English lower leagues.

Which do you think would go down best.

Waits for, chose the idea you like the most posts :D

Archived