Story Ideas & Discussion Thread

Terk

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanna add my ideas and thoughts in reply to a number of posts about story ideas that are constantly used over and over again.

To be honest, when I started my story, I actually hadn't read anyone elses story on here before.

I was amazed that after reading 7-8 stories, that many of them had 1. Alcoholic problems and 2 . Injured / Career ending issues led them to their Managerial careers.

I was amazed not that the story ideas seem to always repeat, but the fact of the matter is, the main character IN MY STORY, on a certain level is based on a REAL LIFE person. ME.

In 2004 I started to get a lot of psychological problems and it is not something that one likes to discuss on a forum or to ANYONE for that matter.

Only in 2007 did I know what was wrong with me and looking back on things, I can understand the frustrations, despair and all the depression that comes with these personal problems.

I never drank, I never took drugs, but I WAS VERY CLOSE to doing this to try and get past my issues.

People said that "all too often alcohol ends up in stories". I just want to say that after a long battle with my personal demons and my problems, ive come to meet a lot of people who deal with issues in that very way.

Drugs and Alcohol, so in theory while it may seem cliched to some, quite a lot of people end up in that downward spiral, especially those who are weak minded.

I used "injury" as a way to describe this issue to you all, without going into the real life problems and issues that surround me and for one, they probably wouldnt make sense with the world of football. :D

Since 2004, I have time and time again contemplated suicide, and actually attempted it in 2007, and thats why my main character faces these issues.

It is almost as though my story is a way to show myself what would have happened if I really did lack the will. In the end, I decided to fight and today I have a wife and 2 little kids.

Sometimes people need to read between the lines in stories and to not just think every story is a cliche.

I know for a fact that many of the words that I have posted, I have already written even before I loaded up my FM09 save.

This is in no way an indication of negativity from my part as everyone is entitled to their story ideas, just remember though, that some stories have a ring of truth around them.

Hope this helps people understand a little behind not only my story but the many being written that people think are just not original or new.

Wow. That's quite a post. Thank you for sharing your situation.

The thing we all need to remember is that every writer puts a little of himself (or herself, in Jen's case) into writing. We can't help it. We're human beings.

There's a bit of my personality in the character of Phil Sharp, but there's a bit more of it in Rob Ridgway. Unless you're a completely professional writer, I don't know how you can help that sort of thing. Personally, I wouldn't try.

I never hold circumstances of a story against a writer. If I like a story, I stay with it and if it isn't my cup of tea, fair ball. But I try to support everyone.

Some of us have more advanced skills. Others are writing for personal reasons. That's great. I want to see writers of all levels posting here and improving their skills if they choose to do so. Above all, I want to see writers happy with what they write, because if they're happy, they will keep posting. That, in the end, is why we are all here.

There's none of me in Hans Freud :D

Although Andy McMorton does have his moments, and Leo Dodge is largely me. Mark Dodge is largely based on my dear old grandmother, who has had Alzheimer's for three years, since my granddad passed away.

I've gone for a sort of day by day accurate update sort of story no real character development or behind the scenes info, how do these stories normally do? Do people tend to enjoy them as I would expect character specific stories would be more popular.

Lavezzi, as 10-3 so rightly says, that's quite a post. I agree that every writer incorporates a little bit of themselves (or in a lot of cases, their image of themselves) into their writing, and I often find that those accused of being 'unoriginal' are not seeking to copy at all. To use your writing to try and come to terms with your issues is admirable, and your willingness to share those feelings even more so. having read your post, your story acquires an extra dimension, and you express yourself very well indeed, as well as providing an excellent tale.

The reason I come in here this time, however, is to complain. A couple of weeks back I embarked on a CM01/02 game with Rangers, and got so caught up in it that I ended up writing a short(ish) story to go with it. Having just about got to terms with the fact that 10-3's tale would surpass it in every way, PM7 then reappears with a Rangers story of his own! :mad::D That said, I'll be revising this one and posting it in the near future anyway, despite direct competition from two of FMS' finest :rolleyes:

The reason I come in here this time, however, is to complain. A couple of weeks back I embarked on a CM01/02 game with Rangers, and got so caught up in it that I ended up writing a short(ish) story to go with it. Having just about got to terms with the fact that 10-3's tale would surpass it in every way, PM7 then reappears with a Rangers story of his own! :mad::D That said, I'll be revising this one and posting it in the near future anyway, despite direct competition from two of FMS' finest :rolleyes:

Have at it. As Bill Struth said, "we welcome the chase". :) I'll look forward to reading it.

Just a quick question - what's the general view on bolding player names? The format I'm planning doesn't use them, but I've seen it used to good effect in other stories and wondering how people liked to see things set out.

One more point - Lavezzi, your English is absolutely fine. Generally being on a stories forum you will find a high quality of written English, but I would wager your grasp of the language to be greater than most. That, and 2000 views suggests your writing is just fine :)

Bold names if you want them to stand out. I do it in squad lists - which I utterly hate doing, but feel the need to be done - but after that I'd only bold them for a specific reason. But at the end if the day, its up to the person writing the story - by all means 'steal' ideas from people but make it your own.

Blanco - One of the things I'm currently trying to decide with my own story is how much information to put in one post. After a quick look around the forums, I've come to the conclusion that as long as your individual paragraphs are not impenetrable blocks then the story doesn't suffer as a result. I've followed your tale from the beginning and have been very impressed, and I can't say I've struggled with the 'weight' of it. Some people work well with one pass warranting its own paragraph, whereas I personally tend to describe a whole passage of play before starting another. Either way, you appearing to be adhering to the general rule which tenthree speaks of.

I would stick with the way you're currently doing things, as it definitely works for me and you appear comfortable writing that way. The only thing I can suggest if you're genuinely concerned is to perhaps make smaller, more frequent posts, but I really don't see much of an accessibility issue with your story.

Not sure, I just skimmed over it without actually reading, but in terms of the way it's laid out it looks fine, paragraphs don't seem too large at all. Sometimes theres a danger of them being too small - one of my huge weaknesses tbh - or in making them long and tedious but without reading yours indepth, it looks manageable.

I tend to just bold scorers, scores and headings.

I was starting to bold player names in important passages of play in match reports but I don't like to do it - as if you forget in some sections, you're having to backtrack and ensure you keep up some form of consistency.

I also do not like the idea of bolding text or names in actual passages of stories and in a lot of match reports as it promotes lazy reading or "skimming".

I feel while a lot of people out there enjoy just to see results and ladders, it really undermines the real reason we are all here, to read stories. If people want to view results etc, they should just run holiday games? no? :D

I tend to just bold scorers, scores and headings.

I was starting to bold player names in important passages of play in match reports but I don't like to do it - as if you forget in some sections, you're having to backtrack and ensure you keep up some form of consistency.

I also do not like the idea of bolding text or names in actual passages of stories and in a lot of match reports as it promotes lazy reading or "skimming".

I feel while a lot of people out there enjoy just to see results and ladders, it really undermines the real reason we are all here, to read stories.

Thanks for all the input guys - I think I'm going to try without any bolding for the time being, largely for this sort of reason. In my match reports it should be quite obvious to see when a goal goes in (as it's one of very few numbers in the passage), so those 'lazy readers' can just skip back a couple of lines if they're interested.

That said, I may well experiment should I write again. After all, we're all here to learn :)

I bold names in my information collumm if talking about an injury but not in match reports anymore, like someone said, I think it promotes skimming and also if people actually do like to read it, then having bold names gives them an indication of what theyre about to read and perhaps loses exictement?

I'm not enjoying Don't ask me to explain offside! one bit. It felt like a good idea, but I find the match reports a real chore. I'm writing them based on the actual FM match reports, which are often long winded and don't make much sense, so it's a pain in the backside writing them up.

I have to decide whether to start afresh, keep going or keep going and change the match reports style. Any advice would be appreciated.

If you don't like the match report style, change them, its the easier option and if it means you'll enjoy your writing more, then do it!

In the story I am writing, some matches I go into detail, some I just describe the goals and other key moments, for a few I just give a very brief summary and give the score. Depends on the match, how important, and how interesting it is. I ignore the match report FM produces and write how I see it.

Perhaps if you're enjoying the character and the game, but not the reporting, then a summary style might work for you? As your story seems to focus on the character bluffing his way through management, individual incidents in game are maybe less important. That'd definitely give you more room to work on the story aspect.

That said, if you're genuinely not enjoying the game at all then it's pointlessly trying to carry on for the sake of it. Your character has an ending built-in with the whole mistaken identity thing, so that's always an option. I personally have enjoyed it so far, but if you aren't taking pleasure in it then the last thing you should be doing is forcing yourself into it.

</$0.02>

Perhaps if I report on important events i.e. goals, red cards etc and focus on the character's part in the match, i'll enjoy it more. Thanks for the suggestions chaps, i'll give it a while and se how I get on with different match reports.

I thought I wouldn't enjoy

1. Doing daily/weekly reports (match updates)

2. Dialogue between players, fictional characters etc.

I was going to focus on annual reports and a pretend gaming world, then after a while of posting, I found my own style and a method to stick with and after a while it became second nature.

Now I am enjoying posting my match reports, they have quite a bit of detail in them, but I don't play that many games a night.

One thing I suppose that people need to do with story telling, is ensure there is a goal, a story line and an outcome they are trying to reach.

If you make your reports too long, your story too long winded, or you do not know the direction of your own story - you might not end up sticking to it or not completing it.

So make sure you are enjoying what you are doing and you set goals and ideas on paper before diving into it.

Elrithal: I have had a lot of enjoyment watching the match in key highlights, pausing after each highlight, and writing about the last highlight. You don't have to do every highlight in detail, in fact you don't have to do every highlight at all.

Elrithal: I have had a lot of enjoyment watching the match in key highlights, pausing after each highlight, and writing about the last highlight. You don't have to do every highlight in detail, in fact you don't have to do every highlight at all.

I do excatly the same, usually writeabout 80% of the highlights, unless it's really dull, I use them all.

I actually find the game better aswell, as in you care far more for the actual result, rather than playing it and then writing after.

One thing I suppose that people need to do with story telling, is ensure there is a goal, a story line and an outcome they are trying to reach.

Believe it or not, 'yes and no' to this. I counted the current storylines I'm running in 'Rat Pack', which I'm writing a decent interval ahead of my posting. The answer surprised me.

Bear in mind when writing story arcs that not every one of them runs hot all the time -- just like your real life. 'Rat Pack' is a bit of a soap opera by design, but it still ebbs and flows. A good story will do the same.

Personally I've never actually set out with a 'goal' for a story on here, other than the obvious goals that involved in being a football manager ;) Sometimes I have an idea of what I want to go on, and I know how it will start but each story ends up taking a path of its own and leading me to places I never knew existed. Takes all sorts ;)

Well it really does depends. Normally yes, you should have a rough idea how the story should pan out, but it doesn't always go that way, especially in FM where things happen neyond your control (sorta).

I've been told that my stories never have proper endings. :o

I find if a story has two different storylines in it, it's always interesting and keeps you on the edge of your seat, wanting to know what happens

Just the football used to be the norm for me, but I like to add something more into my stories now

I have a small question.

Here in North America, a news item that provides a generic account of an event is often printed in identical fashion in newspapers across the continent. (This might have something to do with like 4 corporations owning every paper over here, but I digress.) Anyways, these articles are never attributed to a specific author; instead the author will be "Associated Press", "Canadian Press", something like that.

Here's my question. Is there a similar practice in English newspapers, and if so, what is it called?

I ask for a new story. I've decided to chronicle my progress through the use of the local paper. Basically, my story will be presented as articles from the local paper. Some will be nuts-and-bolts previews, game recaps, and transfer news items. Others will be of the analyst vein; the author will provide commentary and analysis on the fortunes of the club. But I may also use a service like this to provide a source for summaries of results from around the league, stuff like that. (If it goes well, I might even have a guest article or two, written in a different newpaper to assess things from the other side.)

Not really, there certainly isn't an Associated Press that I am aware of. I know in America the same article will appear in about 30 different newspapers but in the UK, most newspaper groups are separately owned. Associated Newspapers owns the Evening Standard, The Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday, the London Lite, and the Metro. Whereas Rupert Murdoch owns the Sun and the Times.

Ah, a question for the journalism student...:p

Sources like Associated Press (and you'll find also Reuters, AFP etc) are actually news agencies, who supply news to the papers for a fee. Because a newspaper cannot be everywhere all the time, they depend on such feeds for certain, usually ground-breaking, stories where the agencies would often be first on the scene, and then they sell the news to many newspapers all over the world.

Sources like Associated Press (and you'll find also Reuters, AFP etc) are actually news agencies, who supply news to the papers for a fee. Because a newspaper cannot be everywhere all the time, they depend on such feeds for certain, usually ground-breaking, stories where the agencies would often be first on the scene, and then they sell the news to many newspapers all over the world.

well put Ben, happy to see another Journalism student here in FMS!

But not for distribution on the internet. AP doesn't seem to like that very much.

well put Ben, happy to see another Journalism student here in FMS!

High five! :D

But not for distribution on the internet. AP doesn't seem to like that very much.

Yeah well. They're the Associated Press. It's natural that they want to stick to print.

Yeah well. They're the Associated Press. It's natural that they want to stick to print.

Mmhmm. They really don't want information to go where they don't want it to go. Nothing more and certainly nothing less.

Would anyone have any objections to me starting a save/story based on one of the challenges, even though the vote hasn't finished? I'm very eager to get back into FM09 and am struggling to pick a team. I started one last night, but wouldn't want to start a story if everyone would prefer I waited until the vote was over.

All my other attempts at stories (under a now-buried username) were written at the time following the incident in the save.

Now I've gone well ahead and I'm finding it so much easier to carry on my story because it's retrospective. If I add in a new twist so to speak, I know where it's going to join up, as opposed to having to fit the story to something that may not actually happen (starting a story about promotion and stabilty, when I'm perhaps gonna finish 15th and have a new chairman)

Terk Aww, excellent! Can't wait :D

Right, challenge winners announced. These two challenges will have official status for probably two (maybe three) months, when, if there is still appetite for such, we'll vote in another set of winners. Of course, that doesn't mean that all stories have to be done in two months, just that will be the time period given to these as *official* challenges.

Remeber, challenge stories DO NOT count towards the 7 day rule.

Archived