Story Ideas & Discussion Thread

Terk

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being sacked always ends a story for me. I have no interest in moving to a new club in general. Werder Bremen sacked me a year after my short(ish) story about them ended which killed that game dead as far as my interest went. Well, to be more precise they decided not to renew my contract...seriously, how often does that happen in real life? Almost never, certainly not at such a big club - they either keep a manager or sack him as soon as they decide a change is needed.

I almost considered starting a story with an Aalesund save I began in FM08, but I got sacked after half a season there so that killed any chance of a story there too!

I don't like that about FM, clubs almost never let their manager's contract run out yet in FM08 it happens all the time and the clubs um and arr about renewing them as it winds down. Most clubs decide a year in advance of the end to renew or not and often renew and it they aren't happy they sack.

A sacking doesn't end a story/game for me, but then again, I can't recall being sacked as I haven't gone deep into a game for a long time.

Normally once I get the boot I'll end the game unless I'm managing a national side aswell a a club side.. But I just lose interest once I've been given the boot unless I've set myself up for a career game

Hello to all who know me on the board; been away travelling Asia for the past few months (yes ive only included it to make you all jealous :p) but im back and the summer has started which means plenty of free time for FM.

So im going to start a new game and go on to write a story about it. The aim is to begin in international management before building myself a career in club management. The question is who do i start as...

I have come up with a list of favourites which id like you guys to look over and choose one.

They are as follow:

Dominican Republic 176th

Netherlands Antils 148th

Fiji 143rd

Barbados 134th

Iceland 106th

Jamaica 105th

S.Africa 70th

If you roll through and see this please cast a vote as it would be much appreciated. Cheers my fellow FM'ers!

I got sacked twice in a 4 season long story. lol - It actually helped build my main character imo.

Yup I think if you give up just because you've been sacked, you lose a real chance to bring out something about your character - not to mention the sympathy vote! - and to not post a story because you got sacked, well thats just weird. (Glamdring :p)

First story I ever read on here - and the one that made me want to write - the guy got sacked, but he stuck with it and eventually went back to the club where he was sacked and got some success. Was an excellent story. I've always wanted to do something like that but it never worked out. Only time I ever got sacked was in the original Elgoibar story, and I made a new save after that but keeping the same character. Mibbe one day it will work out ;)

Ok Voting is going well so thanks to everyone. As it stands the votes are:

Jamaica (7)

Barbados(5)

S.Africa (7)

Iceland (6)

Fiji (1)

D.Republic (2)

N. Antills (2)

Im going to leave this opening till 12 tonight and then decide based on the team with most votes. So please please please keep the votes coming. I cannot stress enough how much I want this to be a forum based decision so even if this thread isnt what you expected take a second to cast you vote.

Cheers for the advice guys. Had a look through the first 50 posts and some good stuff. Thinking of scrapping the Cardiff idea though and doing Man City, where the money might help me a bit. Not the best of players on fm so don't really want to get sacked after 5 months in charge of Cardiff. Only thing is i'd imagine there's a load of Man City stories due to them having money etc. Does that matter?

Chops I demand a Cardiff story!!! Just seen it, good choice :D

Hello I'd like to start a story on FM08 with Liverpool. The database would be a Weegie one, affects me simply because of Robbie Keane I think. So any tips before I start.

I also really need a good name.

Thank you, I'll start fming while hopefully I'll get a few replies.

Tips, again, first fifty posts or so of this thread, especially PM7's and Roqy's tips.

Get ahead.

Take a look at some other stories.

A name? There's no longer an award for it. Call it what you like. If you're not very good, try "Kop Up", or something.

I didn't think you would, but I doubt many people read a story for the name. Call of Sport possibly, but most names are pretty general.

Thats true to a degree, but sometimes a catchy title can draw a reader in. Of course, then you have to hook them. That was the problem with the best title award, most 'stories' that won it were dire.

Thinking of doing a game using Saints. Basically only allowing myself to sign anyone who has played for Southampton at some point in the past. So no new players only bringing back ex players or using the players at the club. Saints is a pretty good one as loads of our players from youth days are out and about somewhere.

Any thoughts on this idea for a game/story? Could do it with other clubs also.

Archived