Story Ideas & Discussion Thread

Terk

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just another quick note to anybody interested in joining my Sign up game. There's still a couple of places left so if you're still interested in joining, PM me and we'll get it sorted, only takes a few seconds :)

I'll stop taking applicants on Monday afternoon as that's when I plan to start the actual game. So if you're interested, PM me asap, thanks :)

I'm curious about the term 'short story' in the FMS world. Is there a specific size limit as to what a short story should be (measured in seasons, or posts, for e.g), is it just what the author deems to be short?

About 5000 words or less, but there is an increasingly large amount of leeway.

I think we should have a definition for sure for short, but also it needs to be flexible. 5000 words/five posts are all very well but it's possible to do a short story longer than that. I guess the true definition is a story that can be read in one, reasonably timed, sitting. But then what is reasonable?

We used to have it as maximum of five posts of no more than 1,000 words each. If we increased that to a maximum of ten posts of no more than 1,000 words each then I think we'd be OK. And if you write over that then tough, it's not a short story.

Yup ten posts sounds about right. Once you go over that, it starts to stop being short and defeats the purpose for what is a short story on the forums. Ie its supposed to be short. I need to do one again sometime, thats one award I think I haven't ever won ;)

I need some help.

I haven't purchased FM2010 yet, but I did play around with the demo and have an idea for a story. I won't give too much away, but it's told from the perspective of a player, only with an angle I haven't seen around here.

I've done some research, scouring through the demo rosters and wikipedia, but I'm opening this up to the forum to get some assistance, particularly because many of you would have a much greater knowledge of a club's depth chart than I.

Basically, I'm looking for players who meet the following criteria:

-Between 21 and 24 years of age

-Are contracted to a team in the EPL

-Are in the last year of their contract.

-Have been with the same club their entire career (not counting loans out)

-Have played less than 10 games for the first team in their career (including cup games)

-Are not out on loan at the beginning of the season

-May or may not play for the first team this coming season (ie, they will probably play for the Reserves, but could sneak into the first team if things go their way)

-May or may not have their contract renewed in the offseason

So far, the two players I've found that best meet my criteria are:

Kerrea Gilbert, Arsenal

Robert Milson, Fulham

If anyone could offer me some advice on these players' prospects at their current club, and/or suggest an alternative player who fits my criteria, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, I'm planning on doing a story alongside my Billericay Town game so I was just wondering: what's the best way to go about this and what can I do to make it more interesting, to make it stand out from the other LLM strories out there?

Right, got a query here. Looking at writing a story and I've been drawn to a diary format sort of. Looking through a few of the stories on here most of them only have the days events for each post. I can't seem to find one that has more than one post for a certain date.

What I'm looking for is the best way to set it up so I can have it like that. I currently have:

9.00 a.m. - 30th June 2009:

Blah, blah, blah

12.00 p.m. - Later that day:

Blah, blah, blah.

Suggestions?

Right, got a query here. Looking at writing a story and I've been drawn to a diary format sort of. Looking through a few of the stories on here most of them only have the days events for each post. I can't seem to find one that has more than one post for a certain date.

What I'm looking for is the best way to set it up so I can have it like that. I currently have:

9.00 a.m. - 30th June 2009:

Blah, blah, blah

12.00 p.m. - Later that day:

Blah, blah, blah.

Suggestions?

Though Rat Pack has numerous posts splitting up individual days, I have done very few time-dated posts. Instead, I shift scenes inside my diary posts to denote the passage of time.

OK, so I've needed something to distract me from things going on at home, so I've ploughed through a lot of work today and I'm happy to release the first version of the FMS website. It's very much a work in progress and updates will be made both Monday and Tuesday, and then on a regular basis after that. Once I've got all the information I want up there, I will work on a redesign, what is there currently was just a quickly put together job in order to get the show on the road.

So, I present to you, FM Stories

Thanks 10-3. I may just get rid of the date altogether. Not sure yet. It'll be a while before the story is up anyway as I'm a slow player and I'd like to have a headstart before I start posting. Also I'm thinking of doing a short prelude story to act as backstory that I can refer back to.

And site looking good at first glance Terk :)

Cheers, minisav :) I'm with 10-3, by the way, I don't think it's necessary to spell out a change in time in a diary post. Write it well and your reader will be able to follow along easily enough.

As I posted elsewhere, the site has been tested in IE8, Firefox v3 and Chrome, so you shouldn't have any usability problems. I haven't tested on Opera or Safari because, basically, I couldn't be bothered. Oh, and it was optimised on a monitor using 1024x768, so if it looks small on your screen, that's your fault for having a better monitor than me. Also, version 2 will be optimised for a display of probably 1280x768.

Thanks 10-3. I may just get rid of the date altogether. Not sure yet. It'll be a while before the story is up anyway as I'm a slow player and I'd like to have a headstart before I start posting. Also I'm thinking of doing a short prelude story to act as backstory that I can refer back to.

And site looking good at first glance Terk :)

I don't mean this the way it will surely sound, but diaries are hard. One of the things I have taken great pains to note in Rat Pack is that something interesting does NOT happen every day. There are ebbs and flows to that story because not everyone's life moves at 2,000 miles per hour.

I've taken criticism for some of my posts, and rightly so, because they weren't all prize winners. That's okay -- not every day in life is. So, if you decide to do a diary, realize that you're biting off a whole lot of writing. Chew carefully.

And Terk, wonderful work on the forums. Thanks for what you do. I may have some other writing I'll post there just for fun.

I do not post much here, but my brothers story, sorry I forget the name now (sorry bro :D ) from Ezequiel Lavezzi didnt even get a single mention.

My bro has gone on to professional writing for a local football club and actually used that story in his resume/interview and they loved it...

He now writes match updates, and does some whacky paragraphs on the team pamphlets.

So grats to everyone here, but I would take the votes here with a pinch of salt, as its more of a popularity contest, rather than a true indication of amazing writing skill.

I do not post much here, but my brothers story, sorry I forget the name now (sorry bro :D ) from Ezequiel Lavezzi didnt even get a single mention.

My bro has gone on to professional writing for a local football club and actually used that story in his resume/interview and they loved it...

He now writes match updates, and does some whacky paragraphs on the team pamphlets.

So grats to everyone here, but I would take the votes here with a pinch of salt, as its more of a popularity contest, rather than a true indication of amazing writing skill.

Christ, I bet you'd scream like a bitch if something serious happened.

One of the forum rules is that you must cast a ballot in order to be considered for award. It's my understanding that Ezequiel didn't do that, so he could not be considered. His work is very good, though.

We have other professional writers on this forum, but that's not the point. The awards are to recognize dedication, effort and participation as well as good writing. He's a terrific writer, no doubt about that, but I'm happy to say we do have a number of them here.

Welcome to FMS.

As 10-3 says, Ezequiel didn't involve himself in the awards process (by casting a ballot) and it is a hard and fast rule of the forum that to win an award you must vote. If he had, I'm absolutely sure he would have been in the running as his story was very well thought of.

Very harsh on the people who have won.

Ben, with all due respect, that would circumvent the whole reason behind the awards. You'd be giving out an award for not taking part.

Anyhow, let's move discussion on this to the Story Discussion Thread. I'd prefer it go there instead of on the end of what was a very nice awards thread and ceremony.

Archived