Story Ideas & Discussion Thread

Terk

Now I've gone well ahead and I'm finding it so much easier to carry on my story because it's retrospective. If I add in a new twist so to speak, I know where it's going to join up, as opposed to having to fit the story to something that may not actually happen (starting a story about promotion and stabilty, when I'm perhaps gonna finish 15th and have a new chairman)

I'd like to do that but do you remember how the matches go? Or do you only write match reports and fill in the background when you've played far enough ahead?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like to do that but do you remember how the matches go? Or do you only write match reports and fill in the background when you've played far enough ahead?

Embelishments mainly. I've got the result and the scorers and looking at the time of the goals, I can try to re-create a picture of the game, if not necessarily the correct one. If, however, I have a particularly interesting game, I'll note it all down and go from there.

I've taken to keeping a notepad beside me and making a note of news and in game events. I don't like pausing during a match (superstition :rolleyes:), so I just make shorthand ntoes and bulk them out afterwards. I hope this works, I often find myself either a) losing interest in the save, or b) getting too involved in the save, keeping notes means I can get involved and not have to pause or exit screen.

The following news is not bull-crap...and it shows that you should ALWAYS back up your stories.

God I am absolutely spewing!

I finished most of my entire story script while at work and brought it home on my USB drive.

I am probably at fault, because I have been working directly off the drive at work, and I just left the drive plugged in on the pc when I was editing it at home.

Today I found an AVI file "Love Struck" on the USB drive and my story GONE.

I quickly and frantically called my wife to see what she had done.

Yes you have guessed correctly, she deleted my word pad file, along with a number of "old tv shows" that was on the USB drive.

Thanks to the wife, I am having to re-write (yes RE-WRITE! I am not stopping!!!!) my story....lucky I know exactly where the story is heading, but I believe I wrote some wonderful passages only to have them deleted.

Agggrrrrrhhhhh - I still remember the heart sinking feeling when I saw my file gone.

I was so happy my story had come to an end, with a nice epic finale, only to know I have to write it again. It was over 25 A4 pages I lost.

So here I sit, with no shoulder to cry on - and re-writing the passages again.

:(

Lavezzi, that sounds absolutely awful. I know the feeling when a save goes corrupt, so for you to lose some much time and effort on top of that must be devastating. Good luck recreating what was lost, I look forward to the conclusion of Colella's tale :)

Thankfully I still have the save, but my story is much more than the "football manager 09" side of things.

The FM story was the background to the whole idea, the glue of sorts. :(

Like a wise man once told me, when something is lost, and you have to start all over, usually the second effort is a whole lot better.

So hopefully, my "2nd attempt" will be better.

Out of interest, do authors ever make their stories availsble in word for download? There are a number of stories i'm enjoying, but don't like reading online.

I noticed that if you go to Thread Tools there is a Printable Version option, so no need for PDF's :) I tried it on 10-3's American Calcio, page one was 180 A4 pages :eek:

Anyone here every written a story with many different time lines and tried to link them all up in a coherent manner?

I can normally do this without problems, but my damn FM09 game is going in a different direction as intended, making the final few chapters difficult to incorporate.

I had already written the ending of my story (which was destroyed)

I have just re-written all but the last few parts and now to link it all up.

It seems I may have to make a wee diversion from the FM game - adding a small fictional piece to make the story sit well.

Do you guys find that FM tends to pull you away and/or extend stories some what?

I mean, Broken Hearts and Shattered dreams was initially going to be a 30 + season story.

However I feel it is better to make it 4-5 seasons and have it end - not particularly with success - but with a solid meaning.

(hope that made sense, because ive yet to sleep and its 8:30am!)

Update : LOL! My fictional piece just became a reality in game, after I approached Napoli, putting myself forward as a candidate for manager. (The current manager is still in place however) I didn't think my continental rep was enough to entice the Board.

That sounds a bit like "The Strands of Time" by PM7. "Jokerman" seems to be a bit like that too. I have no idea how to start what I plan as a sequel of sorts to WaW, so I've done a sort of framework that I'll have to join together.

Anyone here every written a story with many different time lines and tried to link them all up in a coherent manner?

Funny you mention that Lavezzi. I'm currently preparing a story which will begin with two different timelines.

After I finish the last of my exams next week, I intend to start a game on FM and hopefully a story to go with it. It's been a while since my last completed story and this summer provides a good chance for me to get back into writing.

I have the idea ready, and just a couple of minor details to decide on before I begin to post.

It will be entitled: "One Night in Paris"

Bert Merton will return to take charge of an international side before turning his attention to the club scene. That is all I can reveal for the moment but keep your eyes peeled for it in the coming weeks.

2-3 weeks should give me ample time to get enough written before I post the start of my tale. It will run for the duration of the summer if all goes to plan.

Flann

Am I the only person who writes as they play?

No, you're not. In fact I would hazard a guess that the majority who write stories on this forum, especially the newbies, write as they play.

The failure rate is also much higher for those who write as they play, as opposed to those who write, for example, a season ahead. It allows the writer to evaluate the story in terms of their enjoyment and ability to continue with it through a long period of time. This means that there is a lesser chance of a writer submitting ten posts a story and then giving up altogether.

That is only my opinion, but I think most will agree.

No' date=' you're not. In fact I would hazard a guess that the majority who write stories on this forum, especially the newbies, write as they play.

The failure rate is also much higher for those who write as they play, as opposed to those who write, for example, a season ahead. It allows the writer to evaluate the story in terms of their enjoyment and ability to continue with it through a long period of time. This means that there is a lesser chance of a writer submitting ten posts a story and then giving up altogether.

That is only my opinion, but I think most will agree.[/font']

Although it was my first story, I did decide to write as I playand well it's turned out pretty well, my main reason was

I didn't want to play the game and then have to go back and write all about it with no emotion and also would I then be bothered to write all about it?

I knew by writing as I play, I wouldn't want to just stop because I'd simply have failed and I don't do failings :D

I hate playing and then going back and writing about it, I find less enjoyment actually watching the game and I feel less enjoyment writing about it.

Obviously however mine is more of a footballing story so it makes more sense to write as im playing, rather than saya story which involves alot more characters etc...but hey, check my story out :p

People bringing back old characters, tut tut ;)

Most of my stories I tend to write as I go along tbh. Only very very rarely have I ever written something well in advance before posting it. I guess its whatever people are comfortable with but yeah I'd say for noobs in particular its important to have some kind of substance so that you're story doesn't just die. Mind you, that never did Terk any harm! :D

Ye, TPF, what I'm actually talking about is posting as you play, even though I referred to it as writing

I agree that writing as you play obviously gives the story a greater sense of emotion

I though that posting as you play was what you meant when you asked: "How far do people write ahead?"

@PM7: You've been known to repeat characters in stories as well. Do I sense a hint of jealousy, maybe?;)

Flann, I think there's a discipline to it. PM7 knows it, I know it, Donners knows it, Flipsix knows it, and so on. I personally try to write about 200 pages ahead of where I post. It gives me time to develop arcs, introduce new characters to explain certain situations when warranted, and such.

However, PM7 and I share one facet of writing that I think is pretty rare. We both tend to write 'off the top of our heads'. I know where I want my arcs to go, but I enjoy the spontenaity of composition at the keyboard. To do that, I prefer to write ahead.

I've never brought back old characters in my life *whistles innocently*

In all seriousness though, people always say 'oh an old character you've brought back' but actually old characters are the best, the writer knows them, the reader knows them. And, theres virtually a whole new group of people on here, so old is new. ;)

Ye' date=' TPF, what I'm actually talking about is [b']posting[/b] as you play, even though I referred to it as writing

I agree that writing as you play obviously gives the story a greater sense of emotion

I though that posting as you play was what you meant when you asked: "How far do people write ahead?"

@PM7: You've been known to repeat characters in stories as well. Do I sense a hint of jealousy, maybe?;)

Oh sorry, I wrote that wrong, well at the very start of my first story, I posted as I played, these days, I usually hold 1 or 2 posts back, and just post once a day,

In all seriousness though, people always say 'oh an old character you've brought back' but actually old characters are the best, the writer knows them, the reader knows them. And, theres virtually a whole new group of people on here, so old is new. ;)

Yeah, I agree PM. I think that it brings a sense of familiarity and for me it helps get back into the head of Bert and develop his character from the 'good old days'. And older readers may relate some of his traits back to my other stories, though, after all these years, there will be major changes to him from the protagonist in past tales.

How far do people write ahead?

Am I the only person who writes as they play?

I write as I play when it comes to the FM side of things.

With my current story there are multiple time lines and the background story to the FM game, which is ultimately the life of Antonio Colella and his father Marco.

The ideas around the story I wrote a long while back, even before FM was made. I then incorporated a few challenges I faced in real life (for the FM Manager back story) and then mixed it all up.

It's been pretty challenging to get the story into the FM game, especially as my story isn't totally based around long term success (which is sort of why I left Stuttgart).

I guess the lack of success in my story and the weird story line is the reason why my story isn't overly popular. :D

the lack of success within your story has very little to do with the popularity of your story. My first story is called "An American Pilgrimage". It was nominated for 5 FMS awards last year. Although I didn't win any of the categories for which I was nominated (lost out to 10-3, Terk, and Spav), if you read the story, you will see its popularity had very little to do with the match results. Maybe you could read it to see what I mean? Also, my current story, "A Spartan Existence" has very, very little to do with match results as manager. If you read it, you may understand what I mean too.

After I finish the last of my exams next week' date=' I intend to start a game on FM and hopefully a story to go with it.

It will be entitled: "[b']One Night in Paris[/b]"

Sounds good Flann, I look forward to it.

By the way, interesting choice of title. I'm sure I heard it somewhere before....

I actually think stories with too much success as simply boring. You know whats going to happen, so whats the point in reading. When teams struggle to get success it becomes so much more interesting, and more involving, especially if its written well. Personally I think a story being popular boils down an awful to lot to just pure blind luck.

PM7, I agree - although I would like some success (but im pants at FM09) :p

With stories coming down to blind luck, I agree on one aspect - that a good first post or just the right timing could end up having your story followed quite a lot.

What I have noticed from my time on this board (and im not a newbie to the boards, I have another ID with 6000+ posts, but this is my first story) that the more popular stories are the ones people relate to.

Mainly stories based around modern themes such as wars, video games, comedy etc.

I will begin to read into more stories, once I have finished my own and freed up some time, but from the general gist of things, stories heavily based around the football tend to be the most popular, especially those with a lot of updates, scores and tables. (ie like Tubey's, Markwilson's, Perfect FM'er). They are exciting to read, are straight to the point and are heavily orientated around FM.

However other stories which go much deeper, such as religion, or other taboo aspects are not generally followed because people make assumptions about the ideas and people orientated with the story.

I guess a lot of people who do read the stories, are focused on the football aspect - and quite possibly are not after a read that challenges them (and I do not mean with writing skills as I am lacking a bit there) in terms of story line.

While my story has a lot of religious sounding aspects to it, im basically an athiest. I would gather that a lot of people might even think im one of those people who try and feed religion to others, which is not the case. A lot of the story is basically around what someone would do for what they love. (ie people say football is almost a religion). Once I am finished with mine, I will actually post the meaning behind it, if people dont really get it. :D

Popularity is a tricky one, because different people like different things. I suppose as long as you reach out to your audience, that's enough.

Some like stories that deal with deep issues, some like stories that are short and brief (just reports on the games, no extra storyline) and some like humour, like Gav's The Corporation or Mark's Welsh League one.

It depends on your individual style really. There should be fans of all genres out there.

Stories based on the game are longer term, in my opinion, I struggle with proper in depth storylines that aren't short stories or shorter stories, mainly because I feel that I need to make every post interesting and sooner or later I run out of things to say. A short story gives you the chance to focus on the story and not feel forced to add things just for the sake of it. If I want to do a long term story I focus on the football, as shown in my GHC.

With a previous account I wrote a story that I was really pleased with, but it started to veer away from any football and was basically just a story and I had to give up on it.

I've never been able to get into writing an in depth behind the scenes type story, so I just stick with the match report type I do.

Would love to be able to do an in depth character story but just don't seem to have the imagination to do it

I agree with BenArsenal, if you reach out to the intended audience, then your story has done it's job. What I was getting at though, is that those deeper stories, tend to either not be finished or not followed in the long term. I guess thats why I planned an ending to my story earlier (I had intended 30 seasons, I cut it down to 4-5.)

I think people were getting attached to my time during Stuttgart - and I think resigning there probably disheartend a few of the followers of the story.

@ Elrithral, I like how some people refer to short stories as an FM story, no more than a few posts, when in reality even the large stories here, (4-5 page threads when u take away graphs, squad details etc) are short stories in themselves.

I think I wrote above about plannig out stories, which some suggested is hard to do cause FM veers you away from your scripted idea.

Initially my story was going to be about a career of a manager, but after a while I thought id incorporate an old idea into it, to add some spice and instead of making the story so long that it ends up being the "inevitable success story" - i decided to make the story focus on the much forgotten side of FM - failure. The reality of football is that very rarely do managers go past a decade at a club, like most FM'ers do. (ie Tubey etc) In FMS, many of us end up achieving brilliant success ala' Alex Ferguson.

You rarely see a story (from what I have seen) of a manager actually having a career like real managers do. Jumping teams, getting sacked multiple times, getting stressed, losing his head on tv etc.

With my story, you can basically think of a line, starting out in opposite directions, but eventually converging together in a circle. Thats how I have planned my ideas on the career/life/death of Colella in my story.

I am happy to say I am very near to the conclusion of the tale, which thankfully, even FM helped along the way, giving a nice surprise to me as the writer and also while playing the game.

@ Mark Wilson - I guess everyone has their style - and thats probably the best thing about FMS. I think stories that focus on in game - long term games are the most popular and most fun for me to read too at times.

My take on this issue guys is pretty straight forward. If you as a writer are able to hook in people to read your stories, people will come back. Case it point, the first story I really got into here was a story written by archie10, which name escapes me now. It was set in Australia, and I enjoyed it, because it off the beaten path. I like people going to other locations than the English sides and telling great stories and learning about thinks there. I enjoy P-FM's 'Aston Villa' story because he's having great success and once you get going on results, you become hooked. I'm part of Mark's Welsh story, because I like to have fun. I enjoy reading 'Jokerman' and 'Broken Hearts' because they are both highly quirky and have interesting plot devices and stories.

People on this part of the FM forums all have certain tastes. Most people want to know how a team is doing and it's success. Some want to laugh, some want to think. I guess what it comes down to is the fact that as long as you play to your niche as a writer, you will get a fanbase, be it big or small that will enjoy reading your work, and that's the true reward.

EDIT: And as soon as I finish typing this, I see that others have beaten me to the point.

My apologies bergtaur for not doing well at AC Milan. :D:p

Well, you can only do so much to help them, if players aren't performing like at the end of your run, you get fired. Either way, your story is very well written, and could be a sleeper for some FMS awards.

@ Elrithral, I like how some people refer to short stories as an FM story, no more than a few posts, when in reality even the large stories here, (4-5 page threads when u take away graphs, squad details etc) are short stories in themselves.

I agree, but i'm talking about stories that have little or no football in them e.g. Life & Death Of A Local Hero. They focus on the surroundings and off the pitch stuff and you'd be lucky if 20% is actually about things that happen in the game, longer stories are often tales with 50% football, 50% back story. That's not a bad thing, it's great, I just don't have the staying power to keep it going for 8 pages or so.

Well, you can only do so much to help them, if players aren't performing like at the end of your run, you get fired. Either way, your story is very well written, and could be a sleeper for some FMS awards.

With the Milan side, I used to play really well, but would lose out in games almost unfairly. After the Milan derby, players lost faith in my abilities and I soon got sacked. (in 8th place) Tassotti took over as Manager. :(

To be honest, I do not even know what awards are available - but I came here to just kick start my imagination after a few personal problems irl.

I also attempted this first story to improve my writing skills. They used to be quiet strong about a decade ago, and I almost took up Journalism, and used to write scripts (ie plays/movies etc) - but woah, that's the old me and I probably wont ever get that back.

The only real concern I have is that I get my message across, and to not have the story just fly over peoples heads. :D

If any awards come, that would be a bonus - but in the end, as people have stated - if a few people are touched/moved/inspired by the story then its purpose has been served. (and that purpose is not religious!)

:thup:

As for stories, it's the passion of the writer that sticks out for me, no matter where the story goes. One of the best things I ever read was "It's better to have 10 people reading your story and not commenting than 1 person reading and commenting"

But, like every writer, I like a bit of recognition :p :o

With the Milan side, I used to play really well, but would lose out in games almost unfairly. After the Milan derby, players lost faith in my abilities and I soon got sacked. (in 8th place) Tassotti took over as Manager. :(

To be honest, I do not even know what awards are available - but I came here to just kick start my imagination after a few personal problems irl.

I also attempted this first story to improve my writing skills. They used to be quiet strong about a decade ago, and I almost took up Journalism, and used to write scripts (ie plays/movies etc) - but woah, that's the old me and I probably wont ever get that back.

The only real concern I have is that I get my message across, and to not have the story just fly over peoples heads. :D

If any awards come, that would be a bonus - but in the end, as people have stated - if a few people are touched/moved/inspired by the story then its purpose has been served. (and that purpose is not religious!)

:thup:

too bad you didn't take up Journalism, that would have given us three on these boards.

I ended up studying computers and IT. Worst decision I ever made.

I did too. It wasn't my choice and I thought it was rubbish.

I just sumbitted my 'test' article for a local website. If it goes well I could potentially have my first, paying, writing job.

There's always hope. :)

Archived