The (continuing) rise of an unlikely Asian star

BenArsenal

The last time we left our hero Ben Cee, he was sent out on loan to LA Galaxy by Arsenal for 'disciplinary problems'.

However, two weeks after landing in LA, Ben suffered a serious (and rather mysterious) injury that required major surgery, and left him out for months.

LA decided that a loanee with a long term injury wasn't going to be very useful, and so decided to sent him back to London.

We pick up the story with Ben landing back at Heathrow, on crutches...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ben hobbled out of the terminal on crutches. He had a look of despair on his face. He was lost, confused. God knows what is going to happen now.

A couple of Arsenal officials turned up at the airport, and lead Ben to a waiting car, headed for the Emirates Stadium.

At the Emirates Stadium, Ben was instructed to go to Arsene Wenger's office.

In Wenger's office:

Arsene Wenger: How's the leg Ben?

Ben: Not so good boss. Doc says I could be out for months.

There was an awkward silence, as both parties pondered what to say next.

Wenger decided to break the silence.

AW: I'm afraid I have some bad news for you Ben.

Ben froze. He was dreading what was coming up next.

AW: I'm afraid that you have not really been up to our expectations during your time here Ben, so I have decided to let you go.

Ben was shocked.

B: What? Now? When I'm injured?

AW: Well, we won't release you immediately. You will continue your rehabilitation under contract at Arsenal, but once you have recovered, we will make it known that you are available for transfer.

Ben did not know how to react. While he was relieved that he won't be left in the lurch during his injury, he was dreading the fact that he will be leaving his beloved Arsenal.

Fast forward six months to the end of the season, and Ben has now gotten off crutches and is available for light training again.

On the training ground:

Arsene Wenger: All right lads! Good job today. I'll see you back here on Monday. Ben, would you mind seeing me in the office?

And so, Ben was asked to Wenger's office, again.

AW: As you know Ben, we are letting you go, and have thus informed clubs around the country of your availability. We have received some offers so far, and I will convey them to you for you to make your decision.

Ben was silent. He didn't want to leave, but it seems like there is no choice.

Ben: All right Sir.

AW: Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best for your career.

B: Thanks boss.

And so, Arsene Wenger informed Ben of some of the offers that have come in. Some were rather interesting, like:

Chelsea - Ben was very surprised that one of Arsenal's main rivals would want him, but he wasn't sure if he would turn out for the Blues. They aren't exactly his favourite club.

Sunderland - Roy Keane have left the club now, but Anthony Stokes, his old enemy, was still there. And as long as he was there, Ben ruled out a move to the North East.

Man City - Under the ownership of former Thai PM Thaksin Shinawatra, who promised to fill the club with the best South East Asian talents. And Ben was certainly one of the best South East Asian talents in recent times. An intriguing move.

QPR - Another London club, but Ben wasn't sure if he wanted to drop down a division, given that the other offers that were coming in were from Premier League clubs.

Decisions, decisions....

After a few days of pondering, Ben made up his mind.

Sky Sports News - BEN CEE JOINS MAN CITY

Manchester City today have announced the signing of young Singaporean defender Ben Cee from Arsenal. Cee's time at Arsenal have been filled with numerous problems, and it appears that Wenger have lost his patience and decided to let him go, without the defender ever making an appearance for the club. It appears that City's intentions for signing the Singaporean player is dubious, and it is rumoured that his role is mainly to sell Man City jerseys in South East Asia, under Thai chairman Thaksin's plans to establish Man City as a fashionable club in South East Asia.

Despite the hoo-ha though, Ben's transfer sum amounted to a grand total of...

50,000 pounds.

Man City hosted a press conference to introduce their new signing.

Reporter: Ben, how do you feel about leaving Arsenal for Man City?

Ben: I admit I was reluctant to leave my boyhood club, but I suppose that sometimes, tough decisions have to be made.

R: You spent the last few months out injured. Are you fit to go now?

B: I still have a while to go before I become fully fit, actually.

R: Your time at Arsenal have been fraught with problems. Do you think you can eradicate them now and become a serious footballer?

B: I definitely hope so. I do wish I can concentrate on football instead of all these off-field nonsense.

Man City manager Mark Hughes then butted in.

MH: I think that's enough for today guys. He's a bit tired after his trip from London. Thanks for your time.

And with that, Ben was ushered out of the conference room.

Within days of Ben's signing however, Thaksin was displaced from the Man City board, to be replaced by the Abu Dhabi Investment Group, flush with their oil money. Still, board room matters didn't concern Ben. His job was to knuckle down on the football pitch and be a proper footballer, and not sell jerseys back home.

Ben was still a month or so from match fitness, and so was deemed unavailable to play for much of Man City's pre-season. Other than the usual friendlies, Man City was also involved in the UEFA Cup as a result of the Fair Play draw. However, this meant playing in early qualifying rounds, right in the middle of July.

Ben wasn't registered to play in the early rounds, but was allowed to follow the team around to watch.

Man City's first match of the season was a home tie against an Albanian team, Partizani.

UEFA Cup First Qualifying Round 1st Leg

Man City vs Partizani

Ben was in the stands for this one, along with about 38,000 others to watch City's millionaires against the Albanian part-timers.

Manager Mark Hughes named a young squad, as expected. Unfortunately, half an hour in, young winger Kelvin Etuhu had to be subbed off injured.

On 38 minutes, Man City finally made the breakthrough, young striker Daniel Sturridge putting the home team ahead.

Try as they might though, Man City couldn't add on to their lead. That is, until the 71st minute introduction of Ecuadorian striker Felipe Caicedo in place of Sturridge. Caicedo managed to score two goals late on to put the visitors to the sword.

Final score, Man City 3 Partizani 0

With Manchester City having to play matches so early in the season, there wasn't very much of pre-season training. Still, manager Mark Hughes thought that some time off for the new players to gel with their teammates was in order. The next match wasn't due till Monday, so the team was given the weekend off.

Ben was new in Manchester. He no longer had his London pad (paid for by Arsenal). No more Chris to put up with him. And significantly, no more Rachel to hang around with, for they have broken up prior to Ben being sent to LA. Basically he was all alone now.

Regardless, the team was very welcoming towards Ben. Party boy Shaun Wright-Phillips invited the newbies for a night out on the town. Ben, with no real plans, agreed.

And so, the boys hit the clubs that night...

It was a very lively night scene in Manchester. Players from both Manchester clubs, as well as some from the neighbouring Lancashire clubs, were often seen hanging out together, having a good time.

It was no different this time. It seemed like a gathering of a who's who of the football world. Among the boys spotted were Man Utd stars Cristiano Ronaldo and Rio Ferdinand, to name a couple. Man City's own superstar Robinho was around too.

Ben was uncomfortable with the clubbing scene. He never liked the loud music and constant drinking. Still, he thought that it was a necessary evil in order to 'fit in'.

He was sitting alone at the bar when a familiar face staggered towards him.

"Hey..." he started, seemingly in a slur, "You Ben, right?"

Ben looked up. It was Park Ji Sung.

"Uh, yeah." Ben mumbled back.

"How you? Good?"

It was apparant that Ji Sung's English still wasn't very good. Add to the fact that he seemed quite drunk, it was quite a sight.

"I, erm, yeah. Good. You?"

"Come, have drink!" Ji Sung offered.

"No, no. I can't. Doctor says no drinking while recovering." Which was true in any case.

"Ah. Never mind. Nice to meet you. You want come to karaoke?"

Ben was stunned. Why would Park Ji Sung invite him to karaoke?

"You, me, Asian. We go meet other Asian. Have fun. Drink! Sing! Meet girls!"

Ben was amused. He tried to look serious, but inside, he just couldn't stop laughing.

"All right then." Ben couldn't wait to see what this Korean would get up to.

Ben tried to inform chief party planner SWP that he was leaving, but he was having far too much of a good time to acknowledge Ben.

Ben and Ji Sung took a cab to what seemed like a seedy karaoke joint, which the Korean promised was 'where I always come to sing'.

Inside, Ji Sung led Ben to a room, where to his surprise, were two other well-known Asian players. Celtic's Shunsuke Nakamura and Sheff Utd's Sun Jihai were waiting, along with a bevy of Asian girls.

Oh great, Ben thought, the Asian convention is here. He'd never thought he would be hanging out in a dark karaoke room with a Japanese, a Chinese and a drunk Korean.

At least he could finally communicate with someone. "Ni Hao Ma", he offered to Jihai.

"Hen hao! (Very good)" Jihai replied.

Ben was the shy sort, and that marked the end of that conversation.

It was a surreal experience. Despite being all Asians, it was obvious there was still a bit of a language barrier between all of them, and they tried to communicate with each other with what can only be described as sub-standard English. Mostly though, they were flirting with the girls they ordered, Chinese for the Chinese, Japs for the Jap and Koreans for the Korean of course.

Ben was starting to feel a bit lonely and left out, when one of the Japanese girls started to move towards him.

"Hi", she started, "What's your name?"

"I'm, er, Ben."

"Oh. Hi Ben. Are you footballer also?"

"Erm, yes. I play for Manchester City."

"Ooh...Good club! You from?"

"I'm from Singapore actually."

"Ooh...Singapore. Good country! Very clean!"

"Er, yes." Well, if there's anything Singapore was known for, it was cleanliness.

"My name Naomi."

"Nice to meet you, Naomi." Ben offered to shake her hand.

"You cute! You want go hotel room?"

Ben took this to meant going back to his hotel room to rest (He haven't got a pad in Manchester yet), so he agreed.

(Sorry for going off the beaten track, but it was storylines like these that made the previous story great I felt. But I assure you that there will be a lot more football this time. Just not yet. ;))

At the hotel room...

"Ben", Naomi purred. "You sexy. Me sexy?"

"Er..." Ben stuttered.

Before he knew it, she had pinned him down on the bed and crawled on top of him. (Ooh....)

"We have sex?" And she started to undress.

Ben wasn't really in the mood for girls. He was still settling in, and besides, he haven't entirely gotten over Rachel yet.

He pushed her aside, and explained,

"I'm sorry. I...I'm just, not interested right now."

"Oh" came the reply.

"I'm really sorry. How about you leave your number and I'll contact you another time?" Despite being troubled, Ben still knew how to make best use of his opportunities.

"Okay!" And she did.

After she left, Ben turned out the lights and retired. There was plenty to do tomorrow. Not least house shopping.

Man City's next game was a friendly away to Scunthorpe, so he'd better prepare himself for that too.

I will try to steer Ben away from girls this time round...:p

Ben wasn't having any luck house-hunting. In fact, he was rather lost around Manchester. With few friends for help, he decided talk to his new manager.

So, after arranging an appointment, Ben headed to the City of Manchester Stadium.

It was going to be a busy season at Manchester City, with lots of things happening on and off field. Manager Mark Hughes too had only just arrived at Blackburn, and had plenty to sort out himself. But when the opportunity came up to talk to his new arrival, Hughes didn't hesitate at all. Anything to help his charges.

And so, at Hughes' office:

"Hi Sir." Ben greeted his boss.

"No need for pleasantries. You can call me Mark, or Hughesy, or Sparky even." Hughes replied with a laugh.

"Erm, is it okay if I call you boss?"

"I suppose that's fine too, if that's what you want. Anyway what can I do for you today boy?"

"I, erm..." Ben was at a loss for words.

"Having trouble settling in?"

"A little." Ben replied coyly.

"I can understand. It's been a bit hectic around this club lately. Lots of things going on. Sometimes I don't even have time to breathe." Hughes remarked jokingly.

Hughes continued, "I suppose I should now underline your role and the plans for you at this club for the upcoming season. I'm sure Mr Wenger went through this with you when you joined Arsenal."

Ben nodded.

"Think of me as similar. Except that I'm not as strict as Wenger. And my eyesight is somewhat better than his." Hughes laughed again. Ben chuckled shyly.

"Now, I will regard you as a member of the first team this season. This means you will be training with the first-teamers instead of the youth teams. I certainly intend to utilise you much more than at Arsenal."

"I've also received your medical report from the doctor. You're getting back to full fitness in a month's time. Unfortunately this means you will miss most of the pre-season friendlies, but I reckon you'll be all right for the start of the season."

"I will train hard Sir." Ben replied.

"No need for Sir." Hughes reminded. "I like that attitude of yours. Train hard and you'll get games. We are a bit short at the back, so I'll hope you'll have a part to play this season."

"I also understand you prefer to play right back, but are you willing to adapt and play in other positions?"

"Absolutely. I can also play goalkeeper..." Ben sparked up.

"Haha. Lovely. I'll keep that in mind if ever Harty or Schmeichel gets injured. But in all seriousness, I will be looking to play you across the defence, or even in midfield if need be."

"All in all, be prepared to play in the first team this season. I hope to see the best of you in training and in games."

Ben's face lightened up.

"As you know, you've signed a five year contract with us. You will be paid 2,500 pounds a week. Not exactly top billing, but I hope it will be enough to get you by."

It was certainly more than enough for Ben, given that was more than 10 times his pay at Arsenal.

"You'll also get an additional 1,000 pounds for every match you play, plus a bonus of 50 pounds per goal. I don't expect you to score many, but it would be great if you did." Hughes joked.

By now, Ben was feeling more relaxed. Hughes certainly went all out to make him feel comfortable at the club.

"I hope that helped you today. If there's any more help you need, feel free to ask for me." Hughes offered.

"Sure thing boss!"

And so, Ben left Hughes' office, feeling a lot better, now that he knew what was up ahead for him. Exciting times...

Thanks everyone. :)

As it was going to be a busy pre-season for Man City, there were to be no fancy world tours this season. Their friendlies were to be all away trips to local, lower league teams, interspersed with the UEFA Cup qualifying ties.

As manager Mark Hughes have pointed out, Ben was still unfit for action, and so would miss out on all the friendlies. The earliest possible date for Ben to play would be their opening Premier League game away to Hull, in the middle of August.

Nevertheless, Ben was allowed to travel with the team for all their away friendlies.

First up was a trip to Glanford Park, to face Scunthorpe.

Friendly

Scunthorpe United vs Man City

Unlike the earlier European game, Mark Hughes named a strong squad for this one. Recently purchased Mexican 'keeper Oswaldo Sanchez and left back Carl Dickinson started, along with major stars like SWP, Vincent Kompany and their big name Brazilian, Robinho. Hughes have stated that it was not the end of their transfer activity though, with further additions due before the transfer window shut.

It was an uneventful game though. Brazilian playmaker Elano opening the scoring on 32 minutes, followed shortly by SWP being subbed off as a precaution after picking up a knock. That was all the first half had to offer.

It was much the same for the second half. Another Brazilian star, Jo, adding to the tally on 69 minutes.

A decent run out, if a tad lacking in entertainment.

Final score, Scunthorpe 0 Man City 2

Friendly

Doncaster Rovers vs Manchester City

Their next match was to come three days later, to recently promoted Doncaster. Hughes rotated appropriately, with only Dickinson, Kompany and SWP retained. Another new addition, Nigel de Jong, started as well.

The game started in much the same vein as the last one, i.e. a big bore. The only noteworthy event being the home team's defender, Gareth Roberts, being forced off injured a minute before half time.

When the second half threatened to go the same way, Hughes decide to make a raft of changes, subbing off nearly the whole team. Thankfully it worked, and things started to happen.

Elano again scored on 75 minutes, making it two in two for the playmaker, albeit in friendlies. Ten minutes later, another substitute, young Welsh striker Ched Evans, put City two up and home free.

5 minutes into injury time, Evans got his second and City's third, to finally banish Doncaster. The Welshman therefore got Man of the Match honours. Not bad for 15 minutes' work.

Final score, Doncaster 0 Man City 3

Friendly

Bury vs Manchester City

Their third friendly of the week was away to local neighbours Bury on Sunday. Hughes signalled the changes again, this time sending out a strong squad. Kompany and SWP started their third match in a row, while Micah Richards and Nigel de Jong were the only other two starters from the Doncaster game.

Things got to a quicker start this time round. Elano again scoring after 9 minutes. He was certainly pumped up for the new season. That's three goals in three games now.

But then, it again fell into a snore fest, with nothing of note.

Hughes made some changes at half time, bringing off Richards, SWP, Martin Petrov and goalscorer Elano for Nedum Onuoha, Stephen Ireland, Nery Castillo and Michael Johnson respectively.

The second half was much the same as the first. A quick start with an early goal, from Jo 4 minutes after the restart, then petering out into nothing.

Same scoreline as the Scunthorpe game. Same goalscorers. Both Men of the Match too (Jo at Scunthorpe, Elano at Bury).

Final score, Bury 0 Man City 2

Thanks guys. Really appreciate all your comments. :)

Man City had two more friendlies, and a trip to Albania sandwiched in between. It was to be a fairly relaxed pre-season for Mark Hughes' men, with the main priority being getting the team to gel, and doing well in the competitions that matter.

Friendly

Hartlepool United vs Manchester City

A trip to the North East was next, to visit Hartlepool. Hughes put out a second string squad, with one eye on the UEFA Cup qualifying game later in the week.

With so many changes to the team, City struggled to make their presence known, and even suffered the ignominy of falling behind, with prolific Australian striker Joel Porter on target.

And so, the Premier League millionaires went into the break one goal down. It was the first goal they have conceded so far.

But quality is quality, and eventually the Citizens were level, Daniel Sturridge scoring on 72 minutes.

Sturridge got his second a minute into injury time, to give City the win. And so it was to prove, that the Blues were simply too good for their League One opponents, even if it did require a late goal.

Final score, Hartlepool 1 Man City 2

The team was to fly out to Albania immediately after the Hartlepool match, taking place two days after. It was a bit rushed, but it wasn't seen as a problem.

Ben flew out with the team too. It was exciting for him, his first European experience, although he wasn't going to play. But simply travelling with the team was enough for him.

UEFA Cup First Qualifying Round 2nd Leg

Partizani vs Manchester City

Mark Hughes put out a semi decent team for this one, with a three goal lead already from the first leg, there wasn't a need to take any chances. Regular first teamers Micah Richards, captain Richard Dunne, SWP, Martin Petrov and Elano started alongside the likes of Kasper Schmeichel, Carl Dickinson, Glauber and Jo.

It was to be a tepid first half, with the only incident of note being Jo being fouled and picking up a slight knock, resulting in a yellow card for the Albanians. He was subbed off at half time as a precaution, Hughes sending on his wildcard, fellow Brazilian Robinho.

The second half saw a couple more yellow cards for the hosts, as they tried to close down the classy City side, but in vain. Robinho finally made the breakthrough though, in the 76th minute. It was his first goal in City colours, and was a sign of things to come.

Five minutes later, City were awarded a penalty after Dunne was tripped in the area, resulting in another yellow card. Martin Petrov stepped up, but saw his shot cannon back off the post.

It didn't matter that much in the end though, as City beat the Albanians in both legs to qualify for the second qualifying round.

Final score, Partizani 0 Man City 1 (Man City win 4-0 on aggregrate)

Man City flew home to England, with one more friendly to come before finally getting some rest before the start of the season.

Friendly

Oldham Athletic vs Manchester City

Hughes named pretty much the same squad for the trip to neighbouring Boundary Park as the one that played at Hartlepool. In fact, the only change from that game was Stephen Ireland being replaced by Kelvin Etuhu.

There honestly wasn't really much to talk about for this match. Oldham defender Reuben Hazell getting a yellow card right at the end of the first half was the only noteworthy event of the first 45 minutes.

Young midfielder Michael Johnson scored on 51 minutes, and the rest of the match consisted of the teams passing the ball around between them, and some running about.

Final score, Oldham 0 Man City 1

That give City a perfect record in pre-season.

In related news, City were drawn against Polish side Lech for the UEFA Cup second qualifying round. They should be tougher opposition than Partizani, given that they contain a young hotshot in the form of their striker Robert Lewandoski, and also another young talent, the 21 year old Bosnian international attacking midfielder Semir Stilic.

Man City also announced the signing of full back Sebestian Pocognoli from AZ Alkmaar, to bolster their defensive options. The Belgian, who can also play in left midfield, won't be immediately available, after being called up by the Belgian Olympic team to play at the Beijing Olympics. Other members of the City squad involved are fellow Belgian Vincent Kompany and Argentinian winger Pablo Zabaleta. They will be unavailable until the end of August, missing up to three league matches and both legs of the tie against Lech.

The Man City team have a two week break before the start of the season. Mark Hughes was impressed with the team's performance in pre-season, and so allowed them for a short break.

On a personal front, Ben still hasn't found himself a house yet. As such, he continues to stay in his hotel suite for the time being. Not that he minded that of course. His new wages meant that he could easily afford such luxury, and besides, living in a five star hotel isn't so bad.

Having some free time on his hands, he was wondering what to do. Then, he suddenly remembered Naomi.

"Ring ring"

"Hello! Naomi speaking."

"Hi Naomi. Remember me?"

"Er..."

"It's me, Ben."

"Oh! Ben! Yes yes, I remember you!"

"Ah. So, are you free?"

"Free? Yes!" She sounded rather excited.

"So, would you like to, have dinner or something?"

"Can. Not problem!"

"So, I'll meet you at..."

"Your room! I go your room! Tonight! OK, bye!"

Ben was stunned.

All right, all right. Enough of the nonsense. :p Back to the story...

Naomi turned up at Ben's hotel room that evening.

"Ding dong!"

Ben opened the door, only to face a young Japanese chick wearing what must be the tiniest black dress ever.

"Um..."

"Hello Ben! How you?"

"Erm, fine."

"What you wanna do this evening?"

Ben was quite nervous, but he felt he had to set things straight.

"Naomi, may I ask, what is it you do?"

"Me?"

"Yes, you."

"Me is social escort!"

****, Ben thought. This can't be good...

"I also offer, other, service..."

"No, no thank you." Ben rejected immediately.

"Naomi, I think you are a nice girl, but, I can't be seen with you."

"Why?" she protested.

"Because, erm, I'm quite, well, famous." Which was partly true. He still wasn't a Cristiano Ronaldo.

"So? I entertain footballers always!" she shot back.

"No, I mean...You understand. We Asians, must be decent."

"Aw, you don't like me?" Naomi seemed upset.

"Erm, I do like you. Just, not in that way. As friends maybe."

"You don't like me, then I go!"

And she left the room, leaving Ben stunned, again.

(OK, I must admit, that was a bit rubbish...)

Archived