dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Leeds_Oasis:

i want to start a new game as staines because i live right beside it , but even after many reloads they dont come up. do i just have to keep reloading an hope for the best?

Staines is a dirty word in this thread icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Getting Staines this year seems like its going to be quite the challenge. I finally stopped for the night after 100 reloads and despite their increased reputations it doesn't look like like its going to be easy getting anyone out of the north at all. I'll post my under 1000 rep statists when I get home, but I only saw a total of 4 teams come up in 100 tries.

dafuge: you know you want to try it with staines again just to prove it can be done!

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matlock 08/09 Conf. North

I was a little disapointed that my name didn´t show on your team/progress list thing dafuge!

Until I found out I´ve been writing 07/08 instead of 08/09...

Would you please add me next time, does wonders for my confidence to see my name on the list icon_biggrin.gif

I´ll do a mid-season update in a little while, just to games shy of new years!

(Error in above review, I was knocked out the FA trophy in the first round I participated in, 4th Qualifying round, I think icon_smile.gif )

Other News

Upgrade : The board agree the facilities are not good enough and have begun work on improvements.

I got both signings of the season. icon_smile.gif

Attendence: Record smashed on the bring a kid with a full paying adult day. Shame it was a boring 0-0 icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Master T:

Alurny tell us how Balanta gets on would you squire, was looking to sign him but couldn't afford his wages, but I've offloaded some players and now i can afford the big sexer. icon_smile.gif

Please. icon_wink.gif

Sure thing. He has been quality so far in pre season. I am not going to play the file till later tonight but I will keep you up to date! icon_smile.gif

Questions about a clubs reputation

1) I assume clubs reputations change as the game moves from season to season due to relegation/promotion etc?

2) If so how do I find out what my culbs reputation is at any given moment?

3) Could (should?!?) I have checked my clubs reputation before taking over if I didn't want my manhood questioned icon_wink.gif

I ask this as my game with Halesowen appears to be different to all the other games people have reported on here (started with full squad and staff etc).

The low frequency with which Halesowen get promoted implies that they do start with a reputation of only 900 but the squad I took over does not.

Could I have done somthing wrong in the game set up and can I check the current reputation of my team?

Originally posted by Donald-Duck:

Blue Square premier is hard icon_frown.gif

Season 1:

League

Squad

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9371/financesnw4.jpg

Went unbeaten for about 30games, but around half of them were draws. Didn't get Frankie back on loan and really struggling in the second season icon_frown.gif

Agree.

Early Tactic

I had to be very conservative at first and once I got the measure of it I played a bit less withdrawn. Took my strikers a while to get going too.

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden:

oh and by the way i registered for the website, haven´t got confirmation e-mail, been waiting two days now..

That'll be why you weren't on the list then, the website generates it.

If you contact Allan via the contact us section of the website I'm sure he'll sort it out for you.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tyler_Durden:

oh and by the way i registered for the website, haven´t got confirmation e-mail, been waiting two days now..

That'll be why you weren't on the list then, the website generates it.

If you contact Allan via the contact us section of the website I'm sure he'll sort it out for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

cheers

Originally posted by Aario:

1) I assume clubs reputations change as the game moves from season to season due to relegation/promotion etc?

3) Could (should?!?) I have checked my clubs reputation before taking over if I didn't want my manhood questioned icon_wink.gif

I ask this as my game with Halesowen appears to be different to all the other games people have reported on here (started with full squad and staff etc).

The low frequency with which Halesowen get promoted implies that they do start with a reputation of only 900 but the squad I took over does not.

Could I have done somthing wrong in the game set up and can I check the current reputation of my team?

Reputation can be found in the game editor. Unfortunately I've never used it and can't offer any more than that on how to find it.

I wouldn't worry about having a slightly different squad than other people at the start. The manhood thing at the front was mostly a joke. This challenge is hard no matter who you pick. Its not a race or contest, so don't be discouraged if your having different experiences from other people. Most people have their own strategy or rules in addition to the set rules (for instance I won't take anyone on loan during the challenge). Other play by even stricter LLM rules than those set in the challenge. Feel free to share anyways and bring us all along for the ride icon_smile.gif Many people never come close to finishing the challenge (I've never passed league 1) but its sure a blast doing it.

Originally posted by Quavis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aario:

Reputation can be found in the game editor. Unfortunately I've never used it and can't offer any more than that on how to find it.

I wouldn't worry about having a slightly different squad than other people at the start. The manhood thing at the front was mostly a joke. This challenge is hard no matter who you pick. Its not a race or contest, so don't be discouraged if your having different experiences from other people. Most people have their own strategy or rules in addition to the set rules (for instance I won't take anyone on loan during the challenge). Other play by even stricter LLM rules than those set in the challenge. Feel free to share anyways and bring us all along for the ride icon_smile.gif Many people never come close to finishing the challenge (I've never passed league 1) but its sure a blast doing it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great post!

I have already surpassed my efforts from last year! icon14.gif

I really want to finish it this year then move onto Gundo's. I mainly did his challenge last year in Austria and it was good fun icon_smile.gif

Finding Dafuge's slightly easier this year but maybe that is due to me being a year more experienced.

Just a question for Dafuge are you still "unproven" as a manager? Surely getting my team to the Conference national and staying there would at least make me obscure?

Also my long term goals section is broken. icon_frown.gif They are saying I am making no effort to meet them even though it is establish the club in the Conference North?! Surely a bug as I am now in the National. icon_frown.gif Hopefully it wont effect my contract extension due this season icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Alurny:

Just a question for Dafuge are you still "unproven" as a manager? Surely getting my team to the Conference national and staying there would at least make me obscure?

I have a regional reputation at the start of my 4th season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Supermas2:

Really proud of our spirit with this result, against 2nd in the table Newport:

What a comeback!

Thanks for the good wishes, but unfortunately, we've just hit a bad run of form going into March.

Looks like it will be Conference South again next season icon_frown.gif

Great effort! icon14.gif

Hope the season is going well! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by Supermas2:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alurny:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Supermas2:

Really proud of our spirit with this result, against 2nd in the table Newport:

What a comeback!

Great effort! icon14.gif

Hope the season is going well! </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry:

Thanks for the good wishes, but unfortunately, we've just hit a bad run of form going into March.

Looks like it will be Conference South again next season icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Quavis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aario:

I wouldn't worry about having a slightly different squad than other people at the start. The manhood thing at the front was mostly a joke. This challenge is hard no matter who you pick. Its not a race or contest, so don't be discouraged if your having different experiences from other people. Most people have their own strategy or rules in addition to the set rules (for instance I won't take anyone on loan during the challenge). Other play by even stricter LLM rules than those set in the challenge. Feel free to share anyways and bring us all along for the ride icon_smile.gif Many people never come close to finishing the challenge (I've never passed league 1) but its sure a blast doing it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I realise the real men thing is only a joke icon_smile.gif but am still wanting to find out why the Halesowen squad was complete at the start icon_confused.gif - other Halesowen managers out there what did you start with?????

So as I had guessed in my previous post (a page or so back) is the editor the only way to find out your clubs current reputation?

Was thinking it would be interesting to chart the change in reputation along with league status as the challenge unfolds but cannot be bothered to go into the editor to do this - shame there isn't a way to find this out within the game itself

Worksop Town - Blue Square North 2008/09 (23/9/08)

after my previous post about being top of BSN after 9 games still unbeaten, i promptly went and lost next game 1-0. to update:

Squad

as you can see, i have a few key players this season so far. Hotchkiss and Cochrane are my key men in midfield. really pleased with their goal rates so far. upfront, Zavon Hines took a fair few games to start scoring but has certainly picked up recently. despite having a reputation of 1200, i'm having problems getting players in on loan to be fair, compared to who's joining some of your teams. my wage budget of £2.5k is also holding me back a bit (at £2.8k p/w at the moment.)

really hope i can sustain this form over coming months.

i'll post screenshots of some of my main players later hopefully...

Tiverton 2008/2009

Just a quick update

After not having alot of time to play the game since i got it and i am just coming to the end of September and i am cureently lying 7th in the table

Plymout (my parent club) are absolutley brilliant

icon_biggrin.gif

I have a number of players on loan from them most noteably Reis Ashraf who has scored 7 in 7

Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Donald-Duck:

Blue Square premier is hard icon_frown.gif

Season 1:

League

Squad

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9371/financesnw4.jpg

Went unbeaten for about 30games, but around half of them were draws. Didn't get Frankie back on loan and really struggling in the second season icon_frown.gif

Agree.

Early Tactic

I had to be very conservative at first and once I got the measure of it I played a bit less withdrawn. Took my strikers a while to get going too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I play a double central DM instead, with 4 in the back. Not conceeding too many goals, more like I can't get a shot in,and when I do they're miles wide.

My keeper is also poo. Desperation signing at the last minute.

Matlock - December 2008 - Conf. North

A little new years update from Matlock...

Things are looking good, both in the league and elsewhere...

The board wanted me to reach 4 round qual. in the FA cup, but I went into the 2 round...

Only team left below conference!

I´m not going to post a picture of the game itself, let´s just say a tennis player would be pleased with that score icon_mad.gif

An early second round exit in the setanta shield, won´t bring me down, the main focus in promotion, and things are looking well at halfway point (i´m still alive in the FA Trophy, by the way!)

League Table

Daryl "The Vulture" Clare

Clare has been superb, but while i´m still a little disapointed in my defence, I´m the team in the league with fewest goals agianst, so I guess théy´re ok...

Also my long term goals section is broken. icon_frown.gif They are saying I am making no effort to meet them even though it is establish the club in the Conference North?! Surely a bug as I am now in the National. icon_frown.gif Hopefully it wont effect my contract extension due this season icon_frown.gif

mine did that, they wanted to establish the team in conference north, and the season i won the Premier they said they were deeply unhappy that i hadnt ensured the teams long term goals. Still offered me a contract though.

Originally posted by Aario:

So as I had guessed in my previous post (a page or so back) is the editor the only way to find out your clubs current reputation?

Was thinking it would be interesting to chart the change in reputation along with league status as the challenge unfolds but cannot be bothered to go into the editor to do this - shame there isn't a way to find this out within the game itself

You can do this to an extent within your club's information screen, which contains a semantic representation of your club's reputation (i.e. when you start, it is probably obscure/local, and goes up through regional to national, continental and worldwide).

I'm afraid I don't know what the numeric thresholds are which equate to the words, and it's hardly very complete, but still....

Also, when the new version of Genie Scout comes out, you can see reputations at a point in time using that. However, admitting to use of Genie Scout for anything at all, even this, would probably see you disqualified from the challenge, as it gives a LOT of cheat information that is almost impossible to avoid even if your aim is only to check on your reputation figure once a season.

So I just finished clear of relegation in league 2 so imagine my suprise when i see this

Then this

Then this

Fortunately Id saved it a few days before I was sacked so I loaded it up and then gave myself a new contract with FMM. Some may consider this cheating but I dont, I didnt give myself any advantage other than not losing my job beause of this stupid bug. Come on, How can I be sacked for not gaining a respectable position in the league 2 tiers below the one I play in?

Sky Sports Breaking News...

'Big' Ron Atkinson's arrival at Halesowen Town at the weekend has been some what overshadowed by the appointment of Gundo as the new club manager.

Gundo is said to be delighted at having the opportunity to lead Halesowen onto great things.

I'm back!!!

Originally posted by spotg:

You can do this to an extent within your club's information screen, which contains a semantic representation of your club's reputation (i.e. when you start, it is probably obscure/local, and goes up through regional to national, continental and worldwide).

I'm afraid I don't know what the numeric thresholds are which equate to the words, and it's hardly very complete, but still.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah yes good point - however, I would guess that all the clubs in the challenge would start at the same level here - any AFC Wimbeldon / Swindon managers out there to prove me wrong on this?

Originally posted by spotg:

Also, when the new version of Genie Scout comes out, you can see reputations at a point in time using that. However, admitting to use of Genie Scout for anything at all, even this, would probably see you disqualified from the challenge, as it gives a LOT of cheat information that is almost impossible to avoid even if your aim is only to check on your reputation figure once a season.

Don't worry I have no intention of using this icon_smile.gif

Bedford Town - Blue Square South - December 09

I have experienced the most exhilerating game in my football manager career to date.

Picture the scene. Bedford Town have been having an awful season. Sitting in 17th after a slight resurgance and some lucky cup game win, which has finally raised our morale, we came to the Sultana Shield South 3rd Round

Check out our Pre-match odds

It didn't look good, but I put out our best team available and told them the pressure was off and to enjoy themselves.

Here is the Final Score

And the Match Stats

It wasn't even close. We stuffed them! I was dancing round the room and cursing my strikers when they missed.

Damn you dafuge!!

icon_smile.gif

Getting lots of offers for my players atm, and some good money for them icon14.gif.

Currently contemplating whether to sell one of my better midfielders for £110k + 40% sell-on fee, currently sold 3 players this season for a combined £66k.

Shame is I most likely need to find someone to replace him with, however I feel I've got a very strong strikeforce for next season, got Baidooon loan for a further sason, aswell as signing Kyle Wilson, Matt Bowman (who I had in the FM07 version), and also Leon Clarke all on frees icon14.gif.

Originally posted by woody2goody:

It'd be really cool to do this challenge but i'm

a) not good enough

and i've

b) never played a game long enough to do it

has anyone got any tips for me to cope with long games or to plan ahead?

Well first of all to a) I think this challenge is good for anyone.

b) this could be a problem, but remember you can always just get in and enjoy it for as long as you want.

As for tips on a long game, get attached to your players. II say avoid the ones everyone signs and try to find your own, it is extremely satisfying when you find someone new and bring them through. For the future planning I like to bring in as many players under 20 as I can afford and put them on my training regimes and when they hit 22 I know they will either be a future star or they will be carp and I can usually sell them for a couple of k and then it is worth it as every cent helps in this game at the levels you play at. As for another tip, never worry about your finances you can always fix them when you move up levels, believe me you need no transfer budget in the first 3-4 seasons you can build your own and you can also get a lot of good frees.

Originally posted by Jordanknox:

So I just finished clear of relegation in league 2 so imagine my suprise when i see this

Then this

Then this

Fortunately Id saved it a few days before I was sacked so I loaded it up and then gave myself a new contract with FMM. Some may consider this cheating but I dont, I didnt give myself any advantage other than not losing my job beause of this stupid bug. Come on, How can I be sacked for not gaining a respectable position in the league 2 tiers below the one I play in?

Is this a bug that has been admitted by SI ? Slightly worried as I'm Chelmsford too, but still in 1st season in game

Originally posted by Jordanknox:

Then this

Then this

Thats has happened to my confidence.

Oh dear. icon_frown.gif

Archived