Official New Zealand Thread, The Dark Horses!

matt_neil41

rory_fallon_wideweb__470x275,0.jpg

Current Squad:

1 	GK 	Glen Moss 	19 January 1983 (1983-01-19)  (age 27) 	15 	0 	
2 	DF 	Ben Sigmund 	3 February 1981 (1981-02-03) (age 29) 	13 	1 	
3 	DF 	Tony Lochhead 	12 January 1982 (1982-01-12) (age 28) 	27 	0 	
4 	DF 	Tommy Smith 	31 March 1990 (1990-03-31) (age 20) 	1 	0 	
5 	DF 	Steven Old 	17 February 1986 (1986-02-17) (age 24) 	17 	1 	
6 	MF 	Jason Hayne 	8 July 1986 (1986-07-08) (age 23) 	0 	0 	
7 	MF 	Simon Elliott 	10 June 1974 (1974-06-10) (age 35) 	60 	6 	
8 	MF 	Tim Brown Captain 	6 March 1981 (1981-03-06) (age 29) 	24 	0 	
9 	FW 	Shane Smeltz 	29 September 1981 (1981-09-29) (age 28) 	27 	15 	
10 	FW 	Chris Killen 	8 October 1981 (1981-10-08) (age 28) 	30 	10 	
11 	MF 	Leo Bertos 	20 December 1981 (1981-12-20) (age 28) 	31 	0 	
12 	MF 	Michael McGlinchey 	7 January 1987 (1987-01-07) (age 23) 	4 	0 	
13 	FW 	Chris Wood 	7 December 1991 (1991-12-07) (age 18) 	6 	0 	
14 	FW 	Rory Fallon 	20 March 1982 (1982-03-20) (age 28) 	4 	2 	
15 	MF 	Andrew Barron 	24 December 1980 (1980-12-24) (age 29) 	11 	1 	
16 	DF 	Andrew Boyens 	18 September 1983 (1983-09-18) (age 26) 	14 	0 	
17 	DF 	Chad Coombes 	9 September 1983 (1983-09-09) (age 26) 	1 	0 	
18 	GK 	James Bannatyne 	30 June 1975 (1975-06-30) (age 34) 	3 	0 	

Obviously not the most recognisable team in the world but it includes an AFC Wimbeldon reject up front, many players who can't get a game in the second tier of England and the odd player who somehow got a game in the Premier League. They also have Ryan Nelsen of Blackburn at centre back.

Rory Fallon is the reason I will be following New Zealand, a wonderful person who I have a signed shirt off and a player I really like even though half of Plymouth doesn't. His dad was the coach in 1982 when they last reached the World Cup and was also their first time. They certainly won't be expected to do well this time and their group is extremely hard. Slovakia is the first team they face on the 15th of June and they face Italy the game after on the 20th. If New Zealand manage to actually get the ball into the box during the game, I think they could score as Fallon is a good 4 inches taller than Cannavaro. Their last game is on the 24th of June vs Paraguay who I think will destroy them with Cardozo and Santa Cruz up front.

All I have to say is, good luck as they will certainly need it.

I'm still not sure a goal is that likely, Slovakia will know it's their best chance of winning a game, Paraguay are better than Slovakia and the only chance against Italy is if they underestimate them.

Won't make much difference either way but if they play 4-3-3 like they did against Bahrain they will get destroyed.

Got a bet on with a mate from NZ for the Italy game. For every goal the Italians score he'll give me a Peroni. For every goal NZ score I'll buy him a carton of Steinlager. There is no way Italy will let Killen or that thug Smeltz score.

Got a bet on with a mate from NZ for the Italy game. For every goal the Italians score he'll give me a Peroni. For every goal NZ score I'll buy him a carton of Steinlager. There is no way Italy will let Killen or that thug Smeltz score.

Have you seen our defense? :D

I'm expecting us to struggle to get out of this group...

China would beat you tbf.

I'd be confident that we'd beat you and I'm from a country that hasn't even qualified.

I'm a Chinese New Zealander, I know that China can't beat New Zealand. So yeah. Rest assured though, I'm just as ashamed of them as you are.

Chris James spent time at Tampere United in Finland after Fulham, and has now recently signed for Barnet.

Our black shirt looks so sweet we nearly decided to use it at the WC instead of the white. But it will be used as an away strip and apparently will be seen against Italy who have a light blue.

• 2 weeks later...

Since this doesnt seem to have been done yet....

New Zealand World Cup squad

GOALKEEPERS:

James Bannatyne (Team Wellington)

Glen Moss (Melbourne Victory, Australia)

Mark Paston (Wellington Phoenix)

DEFENDERS:

Andrew Boyens (New York Red Bulls, United States)

Tony Lochhead (Wellington Phoenix)

Ryan Nelsen (Blackburn Rovers, England)

Winston Reid (FC Midtjylland, Denmark)

Ben Sigmund (Wellington Phoenix)

Tommy Smith (Ipswich Town, England)

Ivan Vicelich (Auckland City)

MIDFIELDERS:

Andy Barron (Team Wellington)

Leo Bertos (Wellington Phoenix)

Jeremy Brockie (Newcastle Jets, Australia)

Tim Brown (Wellington Phoenix)

Simon Elliott (Unattached)

Michael McGlinchey (Motherwell, Scotland)

Jeremy Christie (Tampa Bay Rowdies, United States)

David Mulligan (Unattached)

Aaron Clapham (Canterbury United)

FORWARDS:

Rory Fallon (Plymouth Argyle, England)

Chris Killen (Middlesbrough, England)

Shane Smeltz (Gold Coast United, Australia)

Chris Wood (West Bromich Albion, England

Herbert is a great coach imo, and will get this group playing as team which is greater than the sum of its parts. Hardly dark horses but will be enjoyable to watch. My pick is that they will pick up at least one point somewhere, and in doing so sit above Australia in the overall rankings...

Players like Bertos and Brown had great seasons in the a-league, not really much of comparison, but still, they are playing well.

• 3 weeks later...

Serbian starting line up:

1 Vladimir Stojkovic (G)

5 Nemanja Vidic (D)

2 Antonio Rukavina (D)

20 Neven Subitic (D)

16 Ivan Obradovic (D)

22 Zdravko Kuzmanovic (M)

11 Nenad Milijas (M)

18 Milos Ninkovic (M)

7 Zoran Tosic (M)

15 Nikola Zigic (F)

9 Marko Pantelic (F)

Kiwis

1 Mark Paston (G)

6 Ryan Nelsen (D)

4 Winston Reid (D)

3 Tony Lochhead (D)

19 Tommy Smith (D)

11 Leo Bertos (M)

21 Jeremy Christie (M)

7 Simon Elliott (M)

14 Rory Fallon (F)

9 Shane Smeltz (F)

20 Chris Woods

So no, not quite full strength. I guess you could be reasonable and pragmatic and say this was a virtually full strength kiwi side gunning for an upset win (has been called one of the greatest results in Kiwi football history in their papers today) against a less than full strength serbian team who were taking it easy and working on their combinations.

But stuff that. I am going over the top. The Kiwis are gonna stuff the Italians by three of four.

• 3 weeks later...

Well this thread needs renewing...almost every comment in here has written us off, but not only have we scored a draw against Slovakia, but we have scored against and drawn with Italy, the current World Champions. I think New Zealand has shown the world what they really can do, you can say what you like about our tactics, but they are better than the International Diving Team that Italy put out. ;)

Worst prediction ever.

Got to say, I thought NZ were tremendous. Real credit to the country with the way they played. I didn't see the Paraguay game (obviously) but to come out of the group unbeaten is great. I think you guys deserved to go through ahead of Slovakia if I'm honest.

Slovakia ultimately deserved it more after beating the champions. I agree though, New Zealand were a credit to the World Cup. No defeats in a group containing Italy and Paraguay is excellent :thup:

Archived