Why will David Beckham not sign for anyone when he is a free agent?

I have searched the forums for an answer to this and cannot find it anywhere. Why is it that when David Beckham is a free agent, he will not sign for anyone? I have had a look on the editor and cannot see anything that stops him; e.g. no retire at current club, etc.

Does anyone know a solution to this as I have seen the question asked plenty of times but I cannot find an answer anywhere. I have looked on FMRTE also and cannot see anything on there either.

Ideas please?!?

Maybe he wants to be a key player AND want a astronomical wage? That would severely limit eligible clubs. At his age (read: diminishing abilities), none of the really big clubs that could afford his wage demands, would let him have a key player role. Just a theory.

Or maybe he wants a longer contract than anyone is willing to give him

Appreciate the theory, but from what I've tried it seems not to be the case. I did a test by adding a manager of Man Utd in the second season (I'm managing a completely different club). I tried to approach to sign Beckham, and it says he is not interested. So I do not think it is to do with the wages, key player, etc as there is no negotiation at all. I would like to know what is stopping him moving, as it must be something hidden as I cannot find anything on the editor as mentioned.

If I were Beckham, I wouldn't sign for Man U .... would you? I mean, going back to his former club, where he once was THE shining star, but now as an ageing has-been, only to play the occasional 10 minutes at the end of matches ... I wouldn't. A place on the board, yes - player, no.

Ok, but I have tried it with other teams as well now, and others have tried with teams abroad. I do not think it is as simple as the player not wanting to go, I think there must be an option that is ticked to stop him signing for anyone else, but I cannot find it anywhere on the editor or FMRTE. That's my question really, not why he will not sign in terms of which team, but does anyone know what the option is that is stopping him signing for anyone and ensuring that he just stays as a free transfer rather than retiring?

My reasoning for this thread was not to state (as I did search the forums first) that it is impossible to sign Beckham, but I wanted to know the reason why it is impossible - there must be a reason that is coded into the game, I want to know what this is and if there is a way to reverse it. Sorry if I did not make this clear - I do not want this thread to be yet another thread stating that Beckham is impossible to sign, but rather a thread with ideas on how to 'fix' this issue.

maybe Posh won't let him. Am sure it's not "Impossible" to sign him, just need the right factors otherwise you can't. If he won't sign does that mean he stays a free agent for life after his contract expires? edit him onto your team theres a fix otherwise let him spend time with Posh

maybe Posh won't let him. Am sure it's not "Impossible" to sign him, just need the right factors otherwise you can't. If he won't sign does that mean he stays a free agent for life after his contract expires? edit him onto your team theres a fix otherwise let him spend time with Posh

If it's not impossible, I have searched many of the FM forums and no one seems to have managed it. I know I could edit him into my team but that is not why I got FMRTE, I only downloaded it because I wanted to find out what is stopping him moving to anyone. Like I said previously, I want to know if something is hidden that I am missing in the editor / if something is coded to stop him moving after his contract expires.

For me, the point of buying fm is recreational and it is a game. I do not think it fair that a lot of people will want to sign players when they are free and available and are with clubs who can afford to pay extortionate wages etc but they do not even enter into negotiotiations.

This is a mistake and a big one at that and should have been fixed long before now.

For me, the point of buying fm is recreational and it is a game. I do not think it fair that a lot of people will want to sign players when they are free and available and are with clubs who can afford to pay extortionate wages etc but they do not even enter into negotiotiations.

This is a mistake and a big one at that and should have been fixed long before now.

I hope that this is fixed soon - do you know what the cause of this problem is as I cannot find anything on any of the forums that states the reasoning behind this. I can understand if there has not been a fix for this, but for no one to know the cause seems a little strange.

Pretty sure I've heard Becks on several occasions say he'd always like to go back to United. He's been a United supporter since he was a kid, after all.

Yeah he's said it, I think he also said if it was just a minor role (Similar to Owen) He'd love to be back in a United shirt!

Isn't it hard coded? There are loads of threads about this on here. Not sure why its been done but it has and unfortunately no amout of editing will change it. FMRTE will allow you to swap him in but is he really worth it?

Thanks for your answer - I did not realise it was hard coded. I do not wish to swap him into my team, as I do not wish to 'cheat' as I just find it a bit strange that if he has not retired, he would be snapped up by someone straight away really and find it unrealistic that he just sits there and no one makes a bid. Hence why I was trying to find out if there was something I could change to stop no one being interested in him / him not being interested in joining any club.

I also realise there are lots of threads regarding this - but there is not a single answer on any of them that actually states the reasoning / cause of Beckham not being able to be signed by anyone when released.

Isn't it hard coded? There are loads of threads about this on here. Not sure why its been done but it has and unfortunately no amout of editing will change it. FMRTE will allow you to swap him in but is he really worth it?

If this is true, why on earth has it been done? It just doesn't make sense, plus it doesn't allow us to have the freedom we want with the game. I'm sure there's a whole ton of people who would like to buy Becks on the cheap, even free, and they can't and it's never been explained why.

I myself have now managed United for 3 seasons on FM12, won the Premier League each time, plus beat Barcelona twice in the Champion's League. I'm now on the favourite person's list at United, we're flying, and Becks still didn't want to join us for free and he ended up retiring after 2 years without work. Why?!

If this is true, why on earth has it been done? It just doesn't make sense, plus it doesn't allow us to have the freedom we want with the game. I'm sure there's a whole ton of people who would like to buy Becks on the cheap, even free, and they can't and it's never been explained why.

I myself have now managed United for 3 seasons on FM12, won the Premier League each time, plus beat Barcelona twice in the Champion's League. I'm now on the favourite person's list at United, we're flying, and Becks still didn't want to join us for free and he ended up retiring after 2 years without work. Why?!

its a really strange case, and i cant see any reason why it should be like this. would be nice to get an answer on this

• 8 months later...

This talk of hardcoded/editor option is cobblers. It's got to be reputation? Rep controls wage demands, what role they want, etc, and considering Becks must be a very high rep (I'm guessing, based on profile as I don't look at these things) which means he will want more than he's actually worth as a player.

This talk of hardcoded/editor option is cobblers. It's got to be reputation? Rep controls wage demands, what role they want, etc, and considering Becks must be a very high rep (I'm guessing, based on profile as I don't look at these things) which means he will want more than he's actually worth as a player.

Nope, Miles once said in a podcast some players are hardcoded not to leave certain clubs, I believe Stevie G is one of them. I think its the players link to the club rather than him just not signing for anyone so once a free agent he can be signed but when at the club he will refuse a move.

Firstly I always noticed on my saves after a few seasons he signs for Palace. Dunno why as im not usually playing in that league when it happens. Just something Ive noticed.

Though one thing I will say its prob to do with his rep on the game. Cant recall what it is without checking on genie scout or anything but the fact thats so high balanced with what ever rep club you may be at means he wont even consider it and like most players if they stay without a club for a time they disapere off the game,

I'm sure he was a Spurs fan..could be wrong.
I actually thought he had ties with West Ham .. I wouldn't put money on it though.

His family are Spurs fans, apart from his dad who's a United fan, so David ended up being the same. Although every Christmas his Granddad would get him a Spurs shirt. :D

Edit: I think he also had trials at Spurs as a kid, can't remember.

His family are Spurs fans, apart from his dad who's a United fan, so David ended up being the same. Although every Christmas his Granddad would get him a Spurs shirt. :D

Edit: I think he also had trials at Spurs as a kid, can't remember.

I wouldn't be surpirsed if I was wrong. I thought he had ties with the East End.

Archived