What clubs do you start with or do you start unemployed?

Just curious what the majority of you guys are starting your careers these days. Do you start with your favorite clubs and if so, which ones?

Or do you start unemployed and which clubs did you end up at? Also do you Apply for Jobs or do you wait until keep clicking Continue until you get offers?

I start unemployed and like to take a job in New Zealand first. You can set it to holiday and apply for jobs so no need to keep clicking continue. I also like to have saves with Sunderland and Crewe who are my teams in real life and a save at a Spanish club that is not Real Madrid or Barcelona.

I start with the underdog, usually teams that were once good, even great, but have now faded into mediocrity. Never start in the top european leagues, coz there's nowhere to go but down. Right now I'm managing Grasshopper Club Zurich in the swiss league. My last save in FM10 was with Hibernian of Edinburgh.

I normally start with Rotherham I enjoy the challenge of the low funds available for a club that are supposaedly one of the favorites for promotion.

They have the advantage though of having a 25.000 all seater stadium so when you reach the higher teirs you have a decent capacity ground.

I started unemployed, and got offered a job with the Houston Dynamo in MLS. Let me tell you how challenging this is. It's hard when most of your players morale is VERY LOW because of previous coach that got sacked, and Houston isn't exactly good. They have maybe one player who has talent. I've got alot of work to do.

I never start unemployed - not sure why, even though it could be interesting.

I usually have a look in the 'Good player and team guide' forum for inspiration if I want a new team to manage. As soon as I find a post with plenty of activity I will read the history of the club, look at the badge, kit colours (lol, lame, I know) finances, stadium and decide.

Recently I started a new save with FC United of Manchester. When it comes to low league management there is nothing better than signing a free transferred player and then selling him 6 months later for £1 mil, or seeing your club value quadruple in one season.

When i buy the game the first team i manage is Liverpool because thats team i support irl. When that goes pear-shaped which it inevitibly does (too much of an emotional attchment) i start again as unemployed with the most leagues my computer can handle and with an automatic reputation. I find that i enjoy this alot more because i can focus on the 'facts' rather than who i like and who i dislike etc.

I always start unemployed with automatic experience (a.k.a. zero experience). Playing with downloads of the lower leagues of Holland, Germany, and England (with all standard FM Scottish, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Danish, Belgian, Swiss and Austrian leagues playable) I end up with a club of their lowest league. In FM10 I started at Waltham Abbey FC of the isthmian first division and ended up at Atalanta, 3rd in Serie A in 2030. I always stick with one savegame, if no crashes occur. Never played more than one team at a time, exept for national duo-jobs when offered.

In FM11 I got the job at dutch hoofdklasse minnows DTS'35. Starting my second season now after finishing second (only champions get promoted) in my first.

Always start a game as Torquay United.

After that it is loading loads of European leagues and start unemployed but do not take any Eglish teams - currently Monza and loving it. Then load up all the leagues in South America and start unemployed - not done this yet but will soonish.

I have two savegames:

SC Freiburg, 1. Bundesliga, Germany

Goal: Avoid relegation by concentrating on young players and selling them for decent fees.

Currently: Second season, midtable, I have a 15-year old youth player who just banged his first hattrick in the league.

Bonner SC, Bezirksliga (8th division), costum database, Germany

Goal: I want to get them promoted to the Bundesliga, maybe win the CL later on.

Currently: Third season, two promotions, midtable Mittelrheinliga (6th division), most of my players are 16-18 years old, my top striker has scored 50+ goals in 2 1/2 seasons.

I think it's about 4 years since I started a game at a club, have always gone for the unemployed option since then, and just holidayed with 'apply for all jobs' until something's offered.

This time around I started a much bigger game than normal with something like 55 leagues from 17 countries. First offer was Winners Park in the South African first division, who were so bad I resigned after about 3/4 of the first season. Then went to Wealdstone in the Blue Square South, stayed for a year before Perugia came calling. Just starting my second season with them, hoping for promotion to C1 this year.

I always start as Tottenham who I support to get to know the new game. Stay with them for a season or until I get to know the game. In FM10 it was 3 seasons because I got attached to the game. This is in the first few weeks of the game release.

I always hope to have a globe trotting game to try and win each continents club competition. So this year I have loaded China, S Korea, South Africa, Maxico, England, Italy, Spain, Wales, Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay. I'm starting out as my beloved Penarol in the Uruguayian first division to hopefully and eventually win the Cope Libertadores. After that try and move up to the biggest teams there is :).

Always unemployed and see what offers I get. For me, FM is a role playing game, and I want to see what kind of career I can have. In some cases, I end up eventually managing in the Premier league and making a ton of money in salary, world fame, etc. In some games, I may end up with teams that have poor finances and weak players and by the time I am in my 60s, I still haven't advanced very far when I retire. That's the adventure for me and the appeal of the game. I tried once taking Arsenal from the beginning, and honestly it felt pretty "eh."

Archived