The 'None' Teamtalk

If you have been having success with the 'none' teamtalk, you are not alone. Basically, if your team is playing well, you choose this particular teamtalk so that your team carries on, well, playing well. In my opinion, this is by far the easiest and most effective teamtalk at keeping up good performances. However, I do have a slight issue with it.

For one, I cannot imagine any team in the world going into the dressing room at half time and sitting out the entire fifteen minutes in complete silence. I admit I have never actually had a football teamtalk in real life at the professional level - so maybe someone who has could help me out here - but it seems slightly unrealistic to me.

What I am hoping for is more sensible options and responses that don't lead to your team completely capitulating after half time. There really shouldn't be a 'none' teamtalk at all as I cannot fathom any reason a manager would choose not to say anything at all for fifteen minutes.

Thoughts?

They don't sit there in silence, they just don't have a coach saying anything. It would be funny a team goes in 1-0 and they all sit there thinking...."Where is the coach?"....guess what he is missing but I'll go out there and be just a motivated and win the game anyways.

It is so dumb.

how does none=same again, when the same thing is already listed? What if you use none at the start of the game?

IMO teamtalks are just the motivational speech you give your team. If you choose none, you won't give a big rah rah rah speech, but I'm sure you will still talk tactics with your players and coaches, so you arn't exactly sitting in silence.

They don't sit there in silence, they just don't have a coach saying anything. It would be funny a team goes in 1-0 and they all sit there thinking...."Where is the coach?"....guess what he is missing but I'll go out there and be just a motivated and win the game anyways.

It is so dumb.

Well I can't imagine any coach not saying anything at all.

Perhaps they should rename it something like 'keep up your performance' then as it's slightly misleading.

I would agree it needs changing as I can understand it being misleading.

Same again is maybe not quite right either as a description, more like "Do whats expected" is maybe better.

I would agree it needs changing as I can understand it being misleading.

Same again is maybe not quite right either as a description, more like "Do whats expected" is maybe better.

Yes, for those who are new to the game or not well-versed in teamtalks, no one in the right mind would choose not to say anything at half time.

None just means there is no motivational talk.

You all realize you can talk in the locker room without a big speech right?

Someone new to the game may not know that. I think 'none' rather intuitively means saying nothing. In fact, the effect 'none' has on the game would be better assigned to something like, say, 'don't let your performance drop', which intuitively I take to mean 'more of the same, please'.

But the none does not mean "don't let your performance drop". It means you don't give a speech. How can none=don't let your performance drop during pregame and postgame teamtalks?

It can't, none means none. It's best used if you don't want to disturb your team's success or if you are mad at them.

But the none does not mean "don't let your performance drop". It means you don't give a speech. How can none=don't let your performance drop during pregame and postgame teamtalks?

It can't, none means none. It's best used if you don't want to disturb your team's success or if you are mad at them.

Of course it would be rephrased to something else for the pre- and post-game teamtalks.

If you're mad at them there's the 'anger' option. To the casual gamer who relies on intuition rather than the Tactics Forums, 'none' means you say nothing.

Basically all I'm saying is that relying on intuition should be a lot more effective, rather than having to do so through random trial and error or guesswork. What you get should be what you expect. And what I expect from a 'none' teamtalk is players getting angry that their manager has chosen not to say anything to them at all.

None just means there is no motivational talk.

You all realize you can talk in the locker room without a big speech right?

I think this is the best explanation.

The options are symbolic of the tone of the team talk as opposed to a verbatim transcript of what is said. Unless the manager just walks in to the dressing room and says "ANGRY" or (softly) "encourage"!!

At sunday league level the manager normally says a few words at half time, but if we're a few goals to the good he'll usually just say good half as we walk over then have a word with the subs about them coming on. Now im not saying Arsene Wenger goes in and says well done then takes Eduardo, Diaby and Walcott outside for a chat about coming on. But really he doesn''t have to say anything big to his players. A simple word as he walks in like good half isn't a team talk so that could be none? And then it could just be talking about tactics.

At sunday league level the manager normally says a few words at half time, but if we're a few goals to the good he'll usually just say good half as we walk over then have a word with the subs about them coming on. Now im not saying Arsene Wenger goes in and says well done then takes Eduardo, Diaby and Walcott outside for a chat about coming on. But really he doesn''t have to say anything big to his players. A simple word as he walks in like good half isn't a team talk so that could be none? And then it could just be talking about tactics.

Thank you, this is exactly what I mean! You should be able to say 'well done' at half time in the game without having disastrous consequences, because that is exactly what you intuitively expect!

In the same way, saying 'well done' shouldn't mean going on and on about how well your players have performed for fifteen minutes with champagne to boot, it could just mean a simple 'well done'!

I think this is the best explanation.

The options are symbolic of the tone of the team talk as opposed to a verbatim transcript of what is said. Unless the manager just walks in to the dressing room and says "ANGRY" or (softly) "encourage"!!

I don't understand why 'well done' necessarily has to mean a big speech. As said in a previous post, I imagine managers in real life would just say a simple 'well done' rather than make a big hoo-ha out of it.

Maybe it's like when you're 4-0 down and playing utterly poor football you just sit there and stare at each other... You know the feeling when like anything you say is a waste of energy...

Yes, intuition would suggest 'none' be the best option for situations such as these. However, it isn't so in the game.

at half time, No team talk = You've done about as well as expected

taken from an explanation of them from a thread for 09, i cannot see the meaning having being changed.

Yeah? So for what is "Pleased" ?? And don't tell me it is for when they perform above expectation cuz for that one is "thrilled" or wth is that one.

Paul C from SI said in a recent thread about team talks that you should look at the options available in the team talks and if none of them seem to be applicable, then None is likely to be be best option for your team. Since then, I have used this team talk with great success, particularly at half time when you are 2-0 up and even before games that you shouldnt really have to motivate the team for.

Using at the end of a game, however, should only be used as "too angry for words"

Paul C from SI said in a recent thread about team talks that you should look at the options available in the team talks and if none of them seem to be applicable, then None is likely to be be best option for your team. Since then, I have used this team talk with great success, particularly at half time when you are 2-0 up and even before games that you shouldnt really have to motivate the team for.

Using at the end of a game, however, should only be used as "too angry for words"

I once hit "continue" by accident after a 7-0 win.

Players were NOT happy.

I had many problems with the Half-time talk, as I was usually doing well in the first half, and opposite in the second. I always just let the AssMan do the talk, and he always said Well Done ... which I though was a good talk.

Until I read a thread in the Tactics forum, about Well Done/Pleased basically meant that the players left their brain in the locker room and thought the game was already won. So I would often see these (for me infuriating) comebacks from the other team ... turning a 3-0 advantage into a draw or even a defeat.

I had many problems with the Half-time talk, as I was usually doing well in the first half, and opposite in the second. I always just let the AssMan do the talk, and he always said Well Done ... which I though was a good talk.

Until I read a thread in the Tactics forum, about Well Done/Pleased basically meant that the players left their brain in the locker room and thought the game was already won. So I would often see these (for me infuriating) comebacks from the other team ... turning a 3-0 advantage into a draw or even a defeat.

Yes.

People should be able to make decisions based on intuition rather than having to rely on the Tactics Forums. At the moment the game is infuriating to many because what you get is completely not what you expect, which really shouldn't be the case.

You see, that makes sense. So whay aren't the in-game options changed to reflect these choices and maybe give a better clue as to what 'none' can actually mean?

In my opinion, what you have said here fuels many threads ranting about how the game is broken due to the comebacks you were suffering. Now you've read TT&F, it's sorted.

But should someone really have to read TT&F to get a grasp on how a team talk should work? Or should the team talks have more accurate descriptions rather than 'none' having different meanings and results compared to how the team are playing? I'd say the latter!

am i alone in the fact i put none at the end of a game if im really ****ed off with the result or if were 2 , 3 -0 down at half time i do the same i just know for a fact late on in the season a win against wolves at home to win the title with man city first season and we draw 1-1 i just know the players wouldnt have my respect enough to get a rant out of me.

None equals ignore players.

Doing that can anger and confuse them. Not always a bad thing because maybe it fires them up.

This it what it basically says:

Say Nothing.

Sometimes it's best to say nothing at all. Even football managers sometimes get carried away in the heat of the moment and berate players when a dramatic silence would speak volumes.

Be wary of ignoring your players for 2 long though...

I think people may be reading too much into this. In my experience, 'none' means the team talk will have no affect on anybody or anything, and everything will remain as it was prior to the team talk - it's as if there was NO TEAM TALK, and NOBODY CARES if there was or wasn't one. I think this is what has been programmed in.

I think one time I accidentally pressed continue at the end of a game without going to the team talk screen at all, and the game filled in that horrible 'why can't you perform like this every match' comment that all the genius assistants seem to love to say. Then all the players got a 'slt' nest to their name. Maybe skipping the team talk screen all together can create a problem, and that's what some people have experienced. Just my opinion based on my experiences with this game.

I use no teamtalk at the beginning of the game and a half time. At the end of the game I praise the players if we win(as long as their performance is above a 6) or sympathise with them if we lost. I've been on my current save for 7 seasons now and it creates excellent morale.

It's interesting to note how many different opinions there are as to what "none" means (or any of the other teamtalks for that matter). The effects of "Pleased" at half time are well known and I think this all just serves to illustrate that, while the teamtalk module may work as expected, the way the users perceive it is at best with confusion and at worst with downright cluelessness.

I'd like to see these options, and to a smaller extent the press conference options, better explained by SI. I think at the very least a more intuitive set of options seems like a good idea.

I've never understood the none option, especially when my assistant manager suggests I say nothing.

I can't really imagine a manager walking up to his team at half time and saying "Sorry guys, my assistant says it would be best if we sat here in silence for the next 15 minutes"

I always use "none" unless we're actually losing.

For some reason, my #1 striker likes being treated mean, so a "disappointed" individual comment often gets him going. (He always gets a great big hug at full time if he scores.)

Another strange one is "we have to get a result, no excuses." Basically it means "ANGRY" but I imagine the team saying, "er, Boss, we're 4-0 down. What do you expect us to do?"

Sometimes the individual options change ... as I (per advice) use 'Have faith' when they are playing OK, sometimes that option is not there and seems to be replaced with 'You can have an impact' or something like that.

is that the same talk, or will it have a completely different effect than 'Have faith'?

Since it seems that Team Talk have a very big effect on the performance, it would be nice with some more in-game info on what the effects might be.

As someone else said ... should it really be neccessary to read these boards to know how to play the game?? (and be at least partially successful)

Without the tactics forum and this forum, I would have thrown FM10 far, far away by now.

• 11 months later...
I did that too after a 10-0 friendly win, once. The players were ****ed for two months :p

I have Walter Zenga (motivation = 20) as Ass manager on FM 2011 and he often suggests "none" in post-game talks after very good performances. I havent thought about player reactions to that, but I dont think it has affected them too much.

Archived