Over-priced players

Has anybody noticed the computer controlled teams always want stupid money for their players.

As Chelsea I bid 65m for David Villa only for Valencia to want 130m straight up.

Danielle De Rossi 45m, they wanted 78m.

The prices are just stupid as in reality neither team would have rejected these offers.

The game needs to reflect real life prices because as it is, the prices are way over-inflated.

Agree with Grecian. They don't want to sell their prize players unless they're going to get stupid amounts of money for them.

Think about it like this: if your best player was being bidded for by the big clubs, would you let him go for anything less than a huge amount of money?

I guess it's all reletive...

it´s stupid, because what´s the point in listing how much they are worth when the real prize is always at least twice that? and not just the well known players, but any established player. it´s not like that in real life, it´s very rare that happens (only the very big ones like ronaldo and zidane etc)

Just have to wait for an opportunity to unsettle the player, declare interest to unsettle further then bid when the player is upsetting squad harmony. Clubs are more inclined to take a realistic bid when its best for player and club.

Dunno how you didnt cop that silly asking prices = dont want to sell. It happens IRL and did you just think the game would allow you to have any player you wanted?

its a fair point to make

SI seek realism and the transfer prices are not realistic. Ronaldo went to Real for 80 odd million so it stands to reason that pretty much any player in the game should be bought for under 100 million (in the first 2-3 yeasrs at least)

im not exactly sure how the clubs transfer budgets align with these prices however and that would certainly be an issue to consider when looking at budget to buying power statistics etc.

Nobody was prepared to pay more than 80 million for a player. That doesnt mean no club has demanded more for a player IRL

Whats the buyout clause on Messi €200M yet nobody is willing to stump the cash because a) it would be nuts b) the players wont leave Barca because of what they did for him and family

it´s stupid, because what´s the point in listing how much they are worth when the real prize is always at least twice that? and not just the well known players, but any established player. it´s not like that in real life, it´s very rare that happens (only the very big ones like ronaldo and zidane etc)

Because even if an agent goes out to say "I estimate that [player name] is worth £50 million" it doesn't mean the club will accept an offer like that. Usually they may, when it comes to players they consider keyplayers, demand really sick amounts of money just because they know nobody will take it.

That's reality even, so deal with it.

it is kinda rediculous...you offer 60 or 70 mill for villa and they look for 140+ mill? with the club in such dire financial state i dont see them saying no to 40 or 50 mill let alone 70...and i made a bid of 18 mill for akinfeev...and they asked for 112 mill + add ons...

Actually, Hershie is right. That's what I always do with the AI clubs, and it works very well. Renegotiate with them so that you find a number in the middle that you're happier with. I bid 15m for Sakho in my save, and they countered with 30m. I offered 23ish and they accepted. Try starting lower next time too. If you bid that high, it means you're desperate to have the player, so then they can get even more out of you.

Just have to wait for an opportunity to unsettle the player, declare interest to unsettle further then bid when the player is upsetting squad harmony. Clubs are more inclined to take a realistic bid when its best for player and club.

still won't work sometimes, akinfeev got unsettled after 1 season so i took the chance and throw him some compliments and said i wanted to buy him, tried to bid, AI wanted 25 M when he was worth 5M, i back off and buy ochoa for 9M. guess what happened to akinfeev, he never renewed his contract and i got him for free after the 5th season (or was it 6th). stupid AI will always be stupid...

I agree to a point with what the OP is saying, but in my experience the key is patience and, as mentioned by others, negotiation.

Example: Say I bid 10 million for a teams star player, they reject. I then bid 20 million and they negotiate wanting 50 million. I'd probably go back with something in the 35-40 million region with non negotiable. I appreciate some of the fees mentioned here are much higher and way out of hand so.....

....... sometimes you just have to sit tight, maybe only a few weeks. Can't speak so much for FM2010, but in 09 I managed to get C.Ronaldo for 40 million less becasue he picked up an injury causing the original deal to fall through. Some 6 weeks later I get him for 80 million, when the original deal had been 120 million. sometimes you may have to wait until the next window or even next season to get a better price, but, as in real life, a manager may have to wait to get the player he really wants.

still won't work sometimes, akinfeev got unsettled after 1 season so i took the chance and throw him some compliments and said i wanted to buy him, tried to bid, AI wanted 25 M when he was worth 5M, i back off and buy ochoa for 9M. guess what happened to akinfeev, he never renewed his contract and i got him for free after the 5th season (or was it 6th). stupid AI will always be stupid...

Should have waited to see if he'd renew his contract! AI doesnt want to loose a star player, they were hoping to convince him to stay.

This happens IRL. e.g. Jermaine Beckford

Leeds will loose him for free in the summer and he's handed in a transfer request but Leeds still want a good fee to buy him.

I got Adler on a free there recently, pot luck that he showed up on a scout report as a free transfer. Sold Ochoa a season later for twice the amount I bought him for. Cant have two keepers on massive wages!

If you offer 60 million, they're going to think "well maybe we can get 90 million if they're this desperate"...

I'm pretty sure if he was available for 60, then Real, Barca, or Man City would have bought him this summer. He's on a 6 year contract, so why not wait to sell him?

As I always say in these threads, if all players were available for a reasonable price they would move clubs every transfer window. The reason that doesn't happen in real life is because the selling club almost always values a player more highly than the buying club does.

If you don't like the prices, then don't pay them. Find a cheaper player to buy.

Upon looking for 'backup' players I'm having to play 10mil+ for players who arnt good enough to play in the premiership. i mean, who is gonna pay over 10 million for someone who cant get into the first team of the club you're trying to buy him from? with potential to be a 'decent' prem player??

Actually, Hershie is right. That's what I always do with the AI clubs, and it works very well. Renegotiate with them so that you find a number in the middle that you're happier with. I bid 15m for Sakho in my save, and they countered with 30m. I offered 23ish and they accepted. Try starting lower next time too. If you bid that high, it means you're desperate to have the player, so then they can get even more out of you.

I did this with Mata, I offered a club record equalling £28m, Valencia asked for £65m, I offered £35m which they accepted.

The value given is exactly that - value. It is not his price. A bottle of coke costs about 10p to make (value) but they sell for nearly 10 times that (price). I know thats an extreme example but Value and price are not the same thing.

And as many people have said before - clubs don't want to sell off their biggest assets.

• Administrators

The thing is, everyone DOES have a price in real life, we can't have it in the game that teams won't even listen to any offers. A team will suggest a stupid ridiculous offer for a player they don't think anyone will ever pay. If you pay that fee, you can't then moan about it calling it ridiculous!

Keep checking the transfer list you can get some great buys. Ive noticed more high classed players being transfer listed than previous games in most cases the player wants to move or clubs just put them up for transfer. Ive seen Dzecko, Gago, Gourcuff and Zarate all go for their listed price, eg. Zarate only for 9.5mil and Gourcuff for 15mil.

Only problem is teams obviously get in fast so you constantly need to be checking. Would be cool if my scout would tell me as soon as a top player is listed.

when managing villa, on quite a few occasions i've had an at value bid for one of my players, i've come back with a stupid amount for them to reject but then they come back with, say, double the money and lerner comes in and accepts on my behalf. really annoying. and to be fair, wholly unrealistic

I have a question

why can I never buy a player for their "value"?

a promising youngster is worth 5 mil, yet i bid 10 mil and get rejected? eventually i manage to sign them but for a price that is much higher than his value of 5 mil?

pretty much happens with any player. the only time i can ever get someone for thier stated value is when they are unhappy and want to leave or the club is trying to sell them. which to me means that a players "value" is not really how much they are worth but rather their "minimum value" or the minimum possible bid that the club would accept.

(and I will just move things along now)

But Crichton, players in real life dont have values floating above thier heads

(to which i respond)

then why have them in the game at all? IMO, when a player is worth x million, then I should be able to bid x million and have that club accept the bid (ignoring special cases, eg rival clubs). otherwise, remove the whole "value" altogether. after all, we are aiming for realism. part of a managers duty is to be able to judge a players value

(here ends my question/rant)

It's all relative IRL aswell, selling clubs inflate the prices when the big rich clubs start bidding - Real Madrid / Man City / Chelsea etc.

A price is simply the level at which buyer is willing to buy, and seller is willing to sell.

When we sell to the AI we can also ask silly money and once in a while we get it, as others have said the key can be patience and unsettling the player in question. Sometimes you can't and then you need to start offering the silly figures but that's when the selling club know they have you by the short and curlys.

i think its a problem. not nessecarily big clubd rejecting bids for players, but the fact that sometimes they are financially unsafe and still do it. everyon know that valencia are more or less broke (or were at the start of the season) yet they wont let any of their big names go for anyting less than 100m, which is crackers. the problem also amplifys when the players are unsettled and it still takes a wild amount to get them.

i think its a problem. not nessecarily big clubd rejecting bids for players, but the fact that sometimes they are financially unsafe and still do it. everyon know that valencia are more or less broke (or were at the start of the season) yet they wont let any of their big names go for anyting less than 100m, which is crackers. the problem also amplifys when the players are unsettled and it still takes a wild amount to get them.

Whereas in real life Velencia accepted Barcelona's £35m bid for David Villa?

Of course they will but you need to talk to the player & negotiate with the club.

Too many FM users seem to want a simple bid, accept, transfer system whereas transfers in RL are negotiated over several weeks or months in some cases.

They dont want to sell, you do see this IRL because they reckon would take that much to replace the player (fee + wages)

Players that come though youth systems generally dont ask for too much but when you buy a player they want $$$ to move.

I've a €90M price tag on a defender and even if someone offered that to me, I'd be weighting up my options. To get a player of his quality in would cost alot, far far far more than what I paid out for him. My supposed best defenders are on 4+ times the wages he's currently on but he's surpassed them in terms of quality. The only reason clubs are sniffing is because they think that they can woo him with money and I know this yet I'll resist giving him more money until I have to.

No manager wants to chop and change, despite the money because it leads to instability because at some stage you will not be able to replace that player for various reasons and you then are left with all this money and not a reasonable option to you. I think the pricing of players in the game is spot on for the large part of it. You will of course have those outliers but it is a game, no game is perfect.

The thing i dont get is that im tottenham and have Barcelona and Man Utd making bids for modric since my first day and now im in my fourth season. They both bidded 40 million but I did not accept because the computer teams would never accept that + i put a bid in for jesus navas who is worth less than modric and they wanted like over 50 million :S that is unbelieveable. I also tryed to swap modric and 30 mil for Ibrahimavic, they didnt accept and put it upto 137 million modric, pavlychenko and keane.... that is just taking the **** lol. Out of everything in FM I think this should be looked at for the next patch, I reckon it should just be tweaked a bit so this does not happen.

Also my players like Modric etc always want to join the big teams like Barca and United and i understand that but I find it so annoying that if i wanted a player like modric's ability then I would have to pay about 50, 60, 70 or 137 million. The only problem now is that he's not playing aswell and wants to leave now :S... its sooo anoying

Milan wanted 143 Million for Pato and a 29 year old Pato at that.

Frustrating because ive got to the stage where all players are 'realistic' targets and i have a £70 Mil transfer budget yet i cant sign any of the top names, not even after weeks of badgering.

The biggest annoyance is that despite being European Cup and Prem winners i cant unsettle anyone. Whereas my players will throw a hissy fit when i reject bids from the likes of Valencia and Tottenham(!)

The thing i dont get is that im tottenham and have Barcelona and Man Utd making bids for modric since my first day and now im in my fourth season. They both bidded 40 million but I did not accept because the computer teams would never accept that + i put a bid in for jesus navas who is worth less than modric and they wanted like over 50 million :S that is unbelieveable. I also tryed to swap modric and 30 mil for Ibrahimavic, they didnt accept and put it upto 137 million modric, pavlychenko and keane.... that is just taking the **** lol. Out of everything in FM I think this should be looked at for the next patch, I reckon it should just be tweaked a bit so this does not happen.

Also my players like Modric etc always want to join the big teams like Barca and United and i understand that but I find it so annoying that if i wanted a player like modric's ability then I would have to pay about 50, 60, 70 or 137 million. The only problem now is that he's not playing aswell and wants to leave now :S... its sooo anoying

I bought Modric off a Ai controlled Tottenham for £28m.

I know waht you mean about the part exchange deals though. But they very rarely ever accept those.

At times though, I think the reverse is true - star players who aren't happy sell for their listed value - far less than the team could probably get.

In my save, I've had Modric (12m), Capoue (4m) and Dzeko (12.75m) all offered to me at their current value by AI teams, after the player requested a transfer. Alas, in 2 of those cases, player moved to a bigger club than mine.

If a player did this to *me*, I'd 'Offer player to clubs' for *at least* 1.5x their current value. In this case, AI teams give up players far too cheaply.

Archived