Wembley Cup... Barclays Asia Trophy... etc

now i know this may have been asked before but i am currently doing a tottenham save and would like to have a realistic pre-season like this year where they are playin at wembley and in asia... but you can't create tournaments that are at a neutral venue it has to be a white hart lan or something like that...

Stupid question and I know its off topic, but how do you create a preseason tournament on your home pitch anyways?

Go to arrange a frendly on your fixtures screen then when you are picking the team to play against there should be a drop down menu which is preset to frendly match change this to a tournament choose a name invite 3 other clubs and wait for them to accept. If they reject the message should have a link on it so you can invite a different team.:D

A new cup would take a tiny amount of time to program.

A new league would need extensive research plus a lot of programming to make sure it works correctly.

Exactly. The structure already exists in-game, for setting up a pre-season tournament, all you'd have to do is hardcode the trophy name & format for the teams.

I've been asking for this feature for ages - it's been going on for years in Spain. Now that's its caught on over in England I expect to be included as a "brand new feature" for FM2010.

They could actually do it like the Intertoto Cup/Euro Vase in the past.

Towards the end of the season they would ask you if you would take part in (insert name) Cup/Trophy, to be held at (location). Then details about prize money etc.

I think it's do-able and I would like to see it. Small top flight clubs with limited budgets (like Hull or Sunderland) would benefit from the cash inflow.

I tried to make a tournament but teams didn't want to come, will try again next pre season.

This is the problem I always face. It is very had to find teams to play in these pre-season cups. I always end up with some crap team from Oceania, an MLS team, and my reserves. They need to make it easier to get at least one big team.

now i know this may have been asked before but i am currently doing a tottenham save and would like to have a realistic pre-season like this year where they are playin at wembley and in asia... but you can't create tournaments that are at a neutral venue it has to be a white hart lan or something like that...

Yes I agree with this.

I'd like all the main tournaments, aka Amsterdam Tournament, One Hull are playing in Asia, Wembley Cup, Peace Cup, Emirates Trophy. Maybe the pre-season tours of Man Utd to Malaysia etc, that would be good and a bit more reallistic.

I might be wrong but I thought the Amsterdam tournament was in the game, just under the name of the 'friendly cup'.

Could someone have a look at Ajax's fixtures on their game, do they play a friendly tournament every year?

A new cup would take a tiny amount of time to program.

A new league would need extensive research plus a lot of programming to make sure it works correctly.

People aren't asking for one friendly tournament. They're asking for several. That would surely take just as much programming and research as adding a new league.

I don't see the point in adding something that would have no real impact on game-play and would only affect a small number of teams. If it matters to you so much you can arrange these things yourself and pretend they're being held a Wembley.

i came in here specifically to say SI should not be creating new features, such as press conferences or new rumour pages - which are are exciting at first, but get very boring very quickly, and should concentrate on improving areas such as pre-season, where we are given a list of teams that are available for friendlies, instead of choosing at random and them rejecting the offer, or setting up cup that the big teams get invited too.

I think sponsors approaching your team to enter a pre-season cup wouldn't be all that bad, obviously not be guaranteed an invite every year, but it can be geared around improving the merchandising side of the game and how it works building your reputation domestically and overseas.

Whilst winning trophies is the main way of improving your clubs image, there is a lot of other football related aspects that also help, and including these would provide a more in-depth development of your club from lower levels to the top.

I might be wrong but I thought the Amsterdam tournament was in the game, just under the name of the 'friendly cup'.

Could someone have a look at Ajax's fixtures on their game, do they play a friendly tournament every year?

Yes this is already in the game, definitely at the start. And I'm pretty sure it happens annually on the game too.

If you control Ajax, I think you will need to create it yourself as a custom friendly tournament. But as any other club, you could get invited if your reputation is big enough to take part

Yes this is already in the game, definitely at the start. And I'm pretty sure it happens annually on the game too.

If you control Ajax, I think you will need to create it yourself as a custom friendly tournament. But as any other club, you could get invited if your reputation is big enough to take part

I was surprised that Sunderland was England's 'representative' this year. It used to be either Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal.

:D

out of interest, for the pre season tournaments when you invite teams does that 'fee' mean they have to pay it, or you pay it to them?

You pay them for taking part. Then you make the money back in attendance revenue because it's at your stadium

I've got one of these sorted, so far got Wolfsburg coming down to Shamrock Rovers, Ajax and Sampdoria have turned me down though :(

Can you offer them any more money? No offence, but it might take a bit extra money for some teams them to play there ;)

Anyway, just a short list of the various such competitions available:

Barclays Asia Trophy

Bi-annual (once every two years)

Organised by Premier League

3 Prem clubs plus one Asian team, held in Asia.

This year (2009): Hull, Spurs, West Ham, Beijing Guoan

Previously included Chelsea, Newcastle, Birmingham, Man City, Everton, Bolton, Liverpool, Portsmouth, Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong

Peace Cup

Bi-annual

12 teams from all around the world. Usually held in South Korea. This year in Spain

This year: Here

Previously included Lyon, Spurs, Reading, Bolton and many others.

Amsterdam Tournament

Annual

Organised by Ajax

Ajax plus three teams, usually European. But River Plate and Boca Juniors have played in the past

This year: Ajax, Benfica, Sunderland, Atletico Madrid

Previously included Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Inter, Lazio etc

Emirates Cup

Annual

Organised by Arsenal

Arsenal plus three teams, usually European

This year: Arsenal, Rangers, PSG, Atletico Madrid

Previously included Real Madrid, Juventus, Inter, Valencia, Hamburg, PSG

Audi Cup

Annual. 2009 inaugural year

Organised by Audi

One German team plus three others

This year: Bayern(host), Boca Juniors, AC Milan, Man U

World Football Challenge

Annual. 2009 inaugural year

Organised by USA(?), held throughout the United States.

Four teams, mostly European

This year: Chelsea, Inter, AC Milan, Club America (Mexico)

Vodacom Challenge

Annual

Organised by Kaiser Chiefs and Orlando Pirates

Chiefs and Pirates plus one European team.

This year: Man City

Previously included Man U and Spurs

Wembley Cup

2009 inaugural year. Status unsure

Organised by Wembley

This year: Spurs, Al-Ahly, Celtic, Barcelona

Trofeo Colombino

Annual

Organised by Recreativo Huelva

Three or four teams, usually Spanish plus one European team

Previously included Bolton, Sporting Lisbon, Porto, Sevilla etc

In addition, there are also one-off tournaments to celebrate events, like the Feyenoord Jubilee Tournament to celebrate Feyenoord's centenary, and had Spurs, Celtic and Dortmund.

I guess that's a rough overview, and you can gauge for yourselves what kind of teams get invited to what kind of tournaments.

Can you offer them any more money? No offence, but it might take a bit extra money for some teams them to play there ;)

I can offer them more money, but i don't them much 'cos i like to keep it all for myself, no offence taken i don't support them - I'm not even Irish! ;)

I can offer them more money, but i don't them much 'cos i like to keep it all for myself, no offence taken i don't support them - I'm not even Irish! ;)

Actually, Real Madrid went to Ireland this season, so I'm sure you can get these clubs to play there! :thup:

Because he was worse than Doyle, Kitson, Long and Lita, and wanted first team football.

I dont agree.. we could have loaned him out for one more year. He would be good now that doyle, lita and kits are all gone... should have kept him!

Mate, I posted something like this many years ago and I'm still to see a realistic pre-season system in FM.

I think it has something to do with licensing. Maybe paying extra to have the rights to include some 'pointless' pre-season tournament is too much.

i am happy to give up all my revenue to the teams i invite, basically pre-season is to get my teams competitive and to learn how to deal with different teams. however you find certain clubs bring good attendances with them actually

Archived