Why do i have to pay over the odds on every player!!

Is there some reason why i have to pay well over the odds on any player, its really starting too bug me that, For the likes of Michael Johnson i have too offer over 10mill when he is only worth 5mill and is surplus requirments at city...

Blackburn wanted 15mill for stephen warnock when valued at 4mill.....?

And when Benzema has signed for 35 mill in real life, why on earth do Lyon insist that i pay over 120mill, This is starting too wind me up!!

Is anyone else having this problem? or is there a setting i can change?? as i know people that have signed top players for a little over there worth!

In modern football, you aren't going to sign big star names like Benzema cheaply. An by cheaply, I mean £30million or more.

You could try unsettling them, or getting yourself on the manager's favoured personel list which may increase the likelihood of a bid being accepted.

Higuain is often transfer listed at Real Madrid and can be signed cheaply, especially in January.

I know what you mean though. With Arsenal I signed Toulalan for £12,000,000. The next save, they wanted £21,000,000. The difference was that I declared my interest the first time round, at the same time many over teams were interested and managed to get him cheaply. Not sure if it was because of that, or I just got lucky.

Have you tried declaring interest, praising, etc?

No i have not tried that, i will gove that a go and see if i can get any of my targets any cheaper,

And thats another thing that annoys me, As teams declare interest in Gerrard and he then says he wants to leave... truth is Gerrard will be at liverpool till he retires, same for Torres

No i have not tried that, i will gove that a go and see if i can get any of my targets any cheaper,

And thats another thing that annoys me, As teams declare interest in Gerrard and he then says he wants to leave... truth is Gerrard will be at liverpool till he retires, same for Torres

what a ridiculous thing to say.... how do you know what gerrard feels?

he loves his team yes... but he's been linked and has come out saying how flattered he is and how he wouldnt rule it out when linked with moves ot chelsea and abroad..

take a look at the john terry situation now ffs..

as for prices...

of course teams are going to charge you well over their market value for their star players...

declare interest.. offer well below or just on value and increase incrementally until you meet in the middle and set a price.. easy.. use some common sense

The best way is to declare interest on the players we want to sign.

Declare interest from time to time and some of them won't be flattered by the interest in the beginning, but constantly declare and do this again during pre-season, that should work.

I signed Benzema for 46m (which is think is not expensive) and Lyon wants 60m before I become Benzema's favour personnel.

It's realistic. Simple.

Clubs wont sell their star players cheaply. You honestly expect Lyon to sell one of their best players and hottest prospects, who is being chased and scouted by the biggest clubs in the world, to you as cheap as £30 Million? Shevchenko cost more than that and look how good he was...

But I want Benzema at Fulham and only have 5m!!! Kidding, but seriously, that's kind of what this sounds like. Last year, Benzema had 100m price tag on him IRL. It came down, just like it does in the game. I've gotten him for 30m on several occasions. For one of the best players in the world a couple years in, this isn't too bad.

he loves his team yes... but he's been linked and has come out saying how flattered he is and how he wouldnt rule it out when linked with moves ot chelsea and abroad..

as for prices...

of course teams are going to charge you well over their market value for their star players...

declare interest.. offer well below or just on value and increase incrementally until you meet in the middle and set a price.. easy.. use some common sense

not that easy you can only buy about 1 player with your transfer budget half the time...... 1 that good enough anywayz playertrs prices need to be more realistic.... people like torres gerrard ibra n that i understand but people like warnock and m.johnson are just stupid

It works the other way. My 11 year veteran at Ternana, Jonas Rodriguez Ekani, demanded a transfer after a sale of a key player. Even despite being transfer listed, I sold him at double his value due to his form.

The fee shown in the player box is an estimated value. Just because your star striker who bags 50 a season is rated at £25m, you wouldn't sell him for £25m would you?! It's the same when you're attempting to buy players!

In short, don't complain simply because the AI isn't stupid ALL the time!

not that easy you can only buy about 1 player with your transfer budget half the time...... 1 that good enough anywayz playertrs prices need to be more realistic.... people like torres gerrard ibra n that i understand but people like warnock and m.johnson are just stupid

sorry.. the reason johnson hasnt moved so far is that teams that have been after him.. which include everton and villa etc have been priced out of it... just like you did...

johnson is a fantastic prospect and will be a future england starter potentially.. and he might have an estimated price on him of around 5-8million but that doesnt mean city will let him go for anything other then twice as much.... why would they?

the point is.... stop looking at his value as his selling price.... its not realistic and why would you want it like that? pointless playing the game at all tbh if thats how you'd like it..

its realistic to have negotiations going on over days or weeks or even years when it comes to players like kaka , gerrard , torres etc...

if it was a case of torres has a value of 25mil.. il offer 25mil.... done deal!! it would be boring

Clubs wont sell their star players cheaply. You honestly expect Lyon to sell one of their best players and hottest prospects, who is being chased and scouted by the biggest clubs in the world, to you as cheap as £30 Million?QUOTE]

Am I missing something with this post?

Didnt Lyon just sell one of their best players and hottest prospects, who is being chased and scouted by the biggest clubs in the world (i.e. Benzema) for about 30m?

Am I missing something in translation?

A friend reckons he has signed higuain for around 15mill at the start of a brand new game as liverpool, when i have started as liverpool they want near 25mill

my cousin loaned him from real for everton in the first season with an option to buy for £5M and got him permenantly in January

but some prices are rediculas on the first game day sunderland want £25m for Kenwyne Jones

my cousin loaned him from real for everton in the first season with an option to buy for £5M and got him permenantly in January

but some prices are rediculas on the first game day sunderland want £25m for Kenwyne Jones

Why's it ridiculous that an ambitious club don't want to sell their best striker, particularly when they don't need to?

Anyway, prices are always negotiable. If a team asks £25mil, 5 less shouldn't be too hard to get.

Why's it ridiculous that an ambitious club don't want to sell their best striker, particularly when they don't need to?

Anyway, prices are always negotiable. If a team asks £25mil, 5 less shouldn't be too hard to get.

its rediculous because there is no way sunderland would want that price for an average player IRL, I mean as an evertonian Yakubu signed for us for £11m, and he is far better than Jones

its rediculous because there is no way sunderland would want that price for an average player IRL, I mean as an evertonian Yakubu signed for us for £11m, and he is far better than Jones

They don't neccessarily want that price though. They're setting the price high to put you off because they don't want to sell him.

They'll negotiate if you're interested, and if you're happy enough to pay that high then they will sell. If you want him, you could get him for much less than the initial asking price, but they're trying you to see how much you want him.

They don't neccessarily want that price though. They're setting the price high to put you off because they don't want to sell him.

They'll negotiate if you're interested, and if you're happy enough to pay that high then they will sell. If you want him, you could get him for much less than the initial asking price, but they're trying you to see how much you want him.

that isnt there valuation of him nor is it there asking price, they will simply accept no less than 25m

that isnt there valuation of him nor is it there asking price, they will simply accept no less than 25m

Not true. Try offering less and set it as non-negotiable. They'll always ask for higher if you let them control negotiations.

I ask to the users complaining: Do you sell your players for their value?

no but, neither do i offer the AI:- £1.2M, 15% of profit and £15M over 24 months for a player valued £16M

the AI crnt expect to sign are best players for there value (not even cash upfront) but then demand twice the value for there players

In all honestly the price i have to pay for players doesnt bother me its the AI rediculas offers for my players that does my head in

I think this thread would have had better replies if he had never mentioned Benzema. Coz he is right all too often you have to pay about 3 times the value of a 4m-5m rated player even though his form is just a bit better than average. I don't think it would be so unrealistic though, if it wasn't for the annoying fact that only real madrid, man city, chelsea and a.c milan seem to be willing to pay real life high prices for your best players. A good example is when I had keirrison, I bought him for 7.5 million, and in his first season he did pretty well had a 6.9 rating and very nearly a 1 in 2 goal ratio. Now if someone his age did that in real life in the prem his price would probably shoot up, and there were alot of teams interested. Liverpool bidded and in the end wouldn't pay more than 12 million, even though they'd just had a good season and hadn't bought anyone else yet. Happens all the time, it makes your players want to leave but then the team they want to go to just won't pay an acceptable price at all.

There's a lot of confusion in this thread between real life value/transfers and FM value/transfers.

no but, neither do i offer the AI:- £1.2M, 15% of profit and £15M over 24 months for a player valued £16M

the AI crnt expect to sign are best players for there value (not even cash upfront) but then demand twice the value for there players

In all honestly the price i have to pay for players doesnt bother me its the AI rediculas offers for my players that does my head in

That is the price they are willing/able to pay. If you think it's to low then reject and they will look elsewhere. Likewise when you want a player they deem important and don't want to sell, they will settle for a high price. If you are willing to pay it then they will sell him. No problem here.

OK, heres an example.

I just checked on my game (in June 2009) (using genie scout) and Ronaldos sale value os over 130 million. IRL he just got sold for 80 million.

So your point is? That transfer values in the game are different from transfer values irl? And fwiw, Man U rejected 80 million last year for CR7 and Lyon rejected 50 million for Benzema last year as well.

I ask to the users complaining: Do you sell your players for their value?

I agree to a point, but I can never sell my players at the inflated rates that AI sells players to you.

Basically, you're right in that everyone hikes up the prices of their players, but the AI is far better at doing it...

I agree to a point, but I can never sell my players at the inflated rates that AI sells players to you.

Basically, you're right in that everyone hikes up the prices of their players, but the AI is far better at doing it...

I disagree. No other AI is going to pay the huge prices that clubs set for players because they'll recognise that the team doesn't want to sell. If you still want the player, you'll have to pay a high price.

In return, the AI aren't going to buy players at stupidly high prices from you either, unless they really want the player. It's up to you to offer players to interested clubs at a price that makes financial sense for you, and as you would when buying, to negotiate the best possible price. If a team want one of your players, it's not too hard to really milk them financially if they have the money.

Having said that, the lack of negotiation sometimes shown by AI managers when you set a high price is annoying, but it's only because they recognise you don't want to sell. Sometimes a team will keep offering higher amounts until you (hopefully) accept, just as you would.

You have to look at it this way, when it comes to some players you're trying to buy them at a time when the club doesn't want to sell. The first left back I went after in my last season, was world class but was unhappy at his club and despite being valued at 27m was sold for 8m; he was unhappy at the club and had obviously done enough for the AI manager to want shot of that player. I missed out on him as he went elsewhere, but the next left back was happy at the club, around the same age and value, and they wanted 120m.

It's hard to find world class players who are in their prime which are unhappy and looking to move.

So your point is? That transfer values in the game are different from transfer values irl? And fwiw, Man U rejected 80 million last year for CR7 and Lyon rejected 50 million for Benzema last year as well.

Ah, but Ronaldo is worht maybe 40 million. In game you need 3 times that, whereas IRL you need to pay double. The point being that world class players or prospects are way overpriced.

it all depends on when you buy the player and the state of the player/team at that time.

i managed to buy curtis davies for £11mill and david bently for £15mill in the second season.

previous save games i've been asked for far more than that.

other times i've negotiated really hard, refusing to go over 25mill when the other club wanted 50mill and after about 2months, and it being 1 day before the end of the transfer window, they finally accepted 23mill.

the most i've got for a player is 25mill for xabi alonso. and thats not bad in my eyes.

So yes, the transfer prices in FM often don't match up with what happened in real life. But FM is a simulation...another real life. It's not like all of the events and occurrences in FM are exactly as they were IRL this season up until you pay a transfer fee.

And I usually don't have to pay more than double a player's worth. If someone asks more than double, it's a good hint that the club doesn't want to sell. In the real world, think of Ribery. Bayern don't want to sell, so they slap a price on him that's about 3 times his worth (not to get into a Ribery/skills debate here).

Might some of the negotiating have to do with manager reputation? A higher reputation means you have more pull in negotiations?

The fact is if a club don't want to sell a player you will have to pay over the odds.

To take the Ronaldo example I don't believe Fergie would have let him go for £80 million last Summer but having seen him sulk after getting substituted against Man City, costing a couple of goals by giving the ball away and not chasing (against Villa and someone else) and playing so poorly in the Champions league final in the last month or so of the season. Plus continuingly refusing to commit his future to Man Utd he became more disposable than he was.

The only aspect of transfer values I believe possibly needs looked at and I haven't done much research into this is players values towards the end of their contracts. At this point clubs should be willing to accept lower offers if a player is unlikely or hesitant to sign an extension. This is also one area where I believe it is too easy to get players to sign extensions to their current contracts and believe more players should run down their contracts looking for a bigger move ala Michael Owen. I find this especially true when managing in the lower leagues. Very rarely do you have to make the decision to cash in now or risk losing them for free in the summer.

As you get a few seasons into the game, digging for bargains becomes harder. Because young players who had some success get big price tags slapped on them, when you make a bid, which I think is realistic. And established world class players become even harder to sign, which I think is very realistic. Look how hard the big teams are struggling now to improve their squads, whilst mid table teams are finding it a bit easier to operate 1 level down from the mega millions transfer market for the top, rich champions league clubs. You've also got to take into account inflation.

as for prices...

Yes we all know Terry has no respect and is a money grabbing muppet,

And Yes we all know that other teams have declared interest and he has said that he would have liked a move to a top european club, But he also said in the same sentence that he wouldnt be able to turn his back on liverpool.

Which is probably why he has signed a new four contract until 2013, which will see him out for the rest of his career which he has also said he has no regrets staying at liverpool his whole career, and if you had also read his book he desribes reasons into why he will never leave such as he suffers from home sickness when away on europen and england duties! becuase he loves his home in liverpool and cant be away from his family and friends!

Use some common sense

Erm.. Terry's not at Liverpool. I'm assuming you mean Gerrard, in which case your grammar fails.

"Common sense" would be to keep an open mind to any possibility. Maybe he gets an offer he can't refuse from a big side, or maybe he falls out with a player, manager or even board member.

Maybe, as happened with Thierry Henry for example, a player may be influenced by more personal issues, eg family issues.

There are a million possibilities, and maybe you need to use some common sense rather than let sentiment or your heart get in the way of your head when considering things. No need to be so hostile either. :)

Erm.. Terry's not at Liverpool. I'm assuming you mean Gerrard, in which case your grammar fails.

"Common sense" would be to keep an open mind to any possibility. Maybe he gets an offer he can't refuse from a big side, or maybe he falls out with a player, manager or even board member.z

Maybe, as happened with Thierry Henry for example, a player may be influenced by more personal issues, eg family issues.

There are a million possibilities, and maybe you need to use some common sense rather than let sentiment or your heart get in the way of your head when considering things. No need to be so hostile either. :)

lol well picked up, i would give you a medal if i had one! but you quite obviously knew who i was talking about and Dont be so deluded, Henry wanted big prizes and if arsenal had beaten barca those years ago then he would probably still be there trying to win it again, it was clear the club could match his ambition it was also know that he was not fond of the UK and cheated on his wife and wanted to get away from her, And what u mean hostile..... how can you tell this was hostile..... which it was not? i was defending my case.

I got Ronaldo for £85 million thats pretty realistic. Sunderland rejected Spurs bids for Kenwyne with one rumoured to be around £18 million.

I mean would you sell your star cheaply? At Barcelona I wouldnt have sold Messi for £200 million same for Iniesta Xavi I would not sell at all ever. In my current game I have a striker who is worth £7 million but I would happily reject £50 million plus for him, if you wont sell star cheaply you cant expect the AI to either in my opinion.

lol well picked up, i would give you a medal if i had one! but you quite obviously knew who i was talking about and Dont be so deluded, Henry wanted big prizes and if arsenal had beaten barca those years ago then he would probably still be there trying to win it again, it was clear the club could match his ambition it was also know that he was not fond of the UK and cheated on his wife and wanted to get away from her, And what u mean hostile..... how can you tell this was hostile..... which it was not? i was defending my case.

Hostile refers to dismissing other arguments in an aggressive manner by stating your opinion as fact, and by, as you have shown here infact, such unneccessary unpleasantries as calling me deluded for stating my opinion to counter yours.

Yes, Henry did want to win things he felt he couldn't at Arsenal, but that's not my point. I was suggesting that there are so many primary and contributory factors, and so many combinations of these, that it is impossible to state anything in the future as if you see it as fact.

:thup:

I have a semi-related question that maybe some people here have experienced. As QPR in Prem, say I bid for some regen defender in Serie A at Udinese. I enquire, and then offer what they suggest. Those buggers wait a few weeks, some other teams in their league or in mine bid the same amount for him or slightly less. Those bids, made after mine, are accepted. But Udi want even more from me, sometimes 25-50% more than the other teams' offers. Anyone know why this happens? Club reputation, finances maybe?

Hostile refers to dismissing other arguments in an aggressive manner by stating your opinion as fact, and by, as you have shown here infact, such unneccessary unpleasantries as calling me deluded for stating my opinion to counter yours.

Yes, Henry did want to win things he felt he couldn't at Arsenal, but that's not my point. I was suggesting that there are so many primary and contributory factors, and so many combinations of these, that it is impossible to state anything in the future as if you see it as fact.

:thup:

Well i can understand where you are coming from, and if it does happen you can say i told you so... but that day will never come my friend, Dont take it so personally

I agree. Same here...

You can get some quality players cheap, but once a star player is at a big club you're gonna have to pay about 3-5 times their face 'value', the key is to get them when they are young from their original clubs.

edit: AT Inter Milan I had a regen guy I bought for 3.5 mil (his value for PSV was 750k aged 17), to me his worth was about 20 million even at that stage, so when teams bid 3.5 million I ignored them, then a few years later when his face value was 18 million I demanded 35-50 million (depending on which team/league he would go to). To me this is fair and sensible and I think the game does a decent job doing similarily.

Archived