'One club man' or 'journey man?'

'One club man' or 'Journeyman?'  

293 members have voted

1. 1. 'One club man' or 'Journeyman?'

• 'One club man'
    • 'Journeyman'

Started a game as my beloved Partick Thistle. Got them promoted on the last day of the season to the SPL at my first attempt. Delighted. Board gave me no money to spend and also said we were too big to have a parent club!

Finished 9th in SPL 1st season with a First Division squad. Delighted, again.

I've knocked back the Motherwell and Xerez jobs so far.

I had set out to try to get the Jags into Europe but this is also my first game of FM09.

Valladolid have been relegated from La Liga but have offered me 10x the wage budget the Jags have and are also offering £6mil war chest. When you've been operating on freebies this is a big deal!

So my question is this:

How do you guys get the most satisfaction? Taking a small club to greatness with a shiny new stadium and a brimming trophy cabinet OR moving from club to club trying to get success wherever you go?

I've decided to negotiate the offer from Valladolid until I see what your thoughts are.

ive got kidderminster harriers to the championship first season in the championship i got 1k to spend had to get players in on the free i finished 16th i was pretty pleased how these thing went. I had 2.3 million in the bank and the board give me a weasly 35k so again i had to sell a couple of my players and bring in some players on the free again and i finished 10th. my stadium only holds 8,000 but things are looking up 3rd season in the championship and i got 1.2 million transfer kitty which is brilliant. stay on as their manager will be a good challenge

Thanks for the quick reply mate.

I'm just amazed at how frsutrating the board are making it for me. I've made them money in the transfer market yet they won't give me any, and unless I sell on one of my best players I won't have any funds again!

yea it is really frustrating and i also only get 10% of transfer revenue. The board have only added 1500 seats to my stadium and my average attendance has been the lowest in the championship for the past 2 years which is a problem becasue there is only so far you can go with a small stadium

I'm a one club man myself and always take my home team hull city in every FM since ive played,nothing more satisfying then taking your beloved team from a nobody to a somebody,currently in 2020 and done just that with hull.

Thats what I'm going to do, guide Partick to glory. I don't think, in all my years playing CM/FM, I've ever taken them to the top.

Just got £1.1mil for my league finish, still only getting 25% of revenue to spend.:thdn:

It depends. Sometimes I'll be in the mood for a one club game, other times I'll try a journeyman career. I recently resigned because the club I'd joined were already in massive financial problems and there was nothing I could do.

I continue with my team, Man U but add another manager for a bit of a challenge!

I've never fancied managing 2 teams at once. It takes me long enough with one team! :D

Poll added to get a feel for the opinions.

I've never fancied managing 2 teams at once. It takes me long enough with one team! :D

Poll added to get a feel for the opinions.

Managing 2 teams at once enables you to manage 'your' team but experiment a bit also.

I voted 'one club man' as at heart I am - Man U all the way :D

I've mostly been a one club man on my save games. I would love to have a good journeyman career though, which I tried to on FM2008, but I kept messing up and didn't really enjoy it that much.

On my current save I have the same intention, but am about to start an 8th season at my first club.

Really, wow! What was you longest game time?

I had a save on 07 that went to about 50 days, largely because my PC was slow and also I regularly left it on overnight. Only got to about 2024.

The current save is about 30 days I think; not been paying attention to it.

why are you suprised at the board if you support Thistle in real life!!

Ha ha! Mainly because they keep telling me how much the stature of the club has risen since I've been in charge.

I still can't ask for a parent club.

Then this happened:

Arsenallink.png

One club man all the way! Normally, it must be said, thats because I'm trying to do something ridiculous and either bring a club up from lower leagues or make my beloved Newcastle the best team in the world. When I was attempting to bring Exeter up I had an offer from Atletico Madrid to manage them - this while Exeter were in League 1! Needless to say I didn't accept :D

Although, I started a new save a few weeks ago - picked a random club (ended up being ABC in the Brazilian 2nd division) and saw where the career path took me...lead from there to estudiantes in argentina, then to Espanyol in La Liga while they were bottom. It was one of the best saves I've ever played I think!

I did a similar thing in 08. Started unemployed, took a Brazilian 2nd tier team to the top 4 of the 1st Div then got the Celtic job. Left there for Chelsea.

I think I am a journeyman by heart, but I'm going to try to stick with Thistle.

Always a one-club man. When I think back to how many clubs I've managed over the years compared to how many relationships I've been in, it's quite scary.

Nowadays I create my own club in the editor and stick with them until the next FM is released. I love to nurture the youngsters and see their careers through. I'm afraid that if I hit limitations, rather than let boredom set in or move to another challenge, I get more enjoyment out of cheating with an editor - not to create a superclub, but to keep the cash flowing and stuff like that. Nothing to be proud of, I know, but it keeps me happy all year!

I tend to lean more towards being a one-club man, but that's usually because when you play a game like FM, you pick a club that you are usually interested in. Sometimes, it's hard to get interested about another club. I also hate to leave with 'unfinished business' but then would also hate to see the AI dismantle my hard work in building up a club (that, and given I like to play for the future, you know that a lot of good prospects/bargains are already at your previous club!)

That said, if you are going for a long career game, then moving around is the way to go, and that can be a lot of fun too. Being willing to move clubs also means that you don't restart the game every time you get sacked... :D

neilez2 you'll be laughing with the arse as your feeder club!!

They gave me Merida for the season.

I've tried to loan another few players but they want astronomical amounts for their services!

Always a one-club man. When I think back to how many clubs I've managed over the years compared to how many relationships I've been in, it's quite scary.

Nowadays I create my own club in the editor and stick with them until the next FM is released. I love to nurture the youngsters and see their careers through. I'm afraid that if I hit limitations, rather than let boredom set in or move to another challenge, I get more enjoyment out of cheating with an editor - not to create a superclub, but to keep the cash flowing and stuff like that. Nothing to be proud of, I know, but it keeps me happy all year!

Cheat :D;)

I usually set myself a challenge to achieve with each club and when I succeed I move on e.g. at Udinese I set myself a target of winning the league and spent 5 years there, moving to Roma when I had completed it, it took five years to win the league twice with Roma, so moved on to Man Utd who had just finished 7th etc etc.

I get bored of staying in one place for too long, although if I set myself a challenge with a club and it took me 20 years to compelte it then I would spend 20 years at that club.

I regularly try to be a journey man. But have never succeeded. I always end up staying with my club (unless i get sacked). I always want to find out how my youths are going to do, and how that multi-million pound striker is going to turn out. Even when I choose lower clubs, I stick with them, challenging myself to get them as far as I can e.g cups and league.

i not very good at staying at my club but now i can not play on it :( wont work on this laptop

Gutted mate.

I'm really getting into this Partick Thistle save now.

Although if a big club come in for me I will still be back on here asking whether I should take it or not! ;)

Archived