AI Experiment - The Bandits are back for FM09

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well if we carry on the way we're going we'll be at page 3 within an hour :D.

I'm thinking I might break from the pack and declare the Sheriffs as my team from the get go. In fact, yes. There we go. I'm a Sheriffs man!! Who's with me!?

Down with the Bandits!! :cool:

A bit of rivalry :):)

Ok we need rules.

1) Be patient at all times.

That is all.

Hopefully it does include the insults of the Bandits fan or you are against a big mountain to climb up :p

Just joking, really some of us have to support Sheriffs, at least to create some diversity and some discussion in the thread how the Bandits will crush the Sheriffs to the ground :cool:

And hopefully no "Sack the board..." or "Sack the manager..." chants this year :)

This thread is excellent already and there aren't even any updates.

I will definitely be watching and probably rooting for the Sheriffs.

Funny note: The Sheriffs, normally the "good guys" have the idiots, or "bad guys" :D

What's with the sack the board chants?

I didn't read the old thread so I'm not familiar with this.

Kip - massive Bandits fan and pleased to be in on this earlier this time. I never got round to reading the first 40 or so years of the first experiment! Congrats on the new experiment, it looks like a cracker.

Can you really call yourself a "massive Bandits fan" if you've never read the first 40 years of the experiment?

A question for other Bandits fans.

Hopefully it does include the insults of the Bandits fan or you are against a big mountain to climb up :p

Just joking, really some of us have to support Sheriffs, at least to create some diversity and some discussion in the thread how the Bandits will crush the Sheriffs to the ground :cool:

And hopefully no "Sack the board..." or "Sack the manager..." chants this year :)

Sheriffs' fans feelings towards the Bandits aren't suitable for a family friendly forum like this ;)

Mon the Sheriffs

What's with the sack the board chants?

Decades of completely worthless managers replacing completely worthless managers in the previous experiment.

The talented few always walked into the wreckage of a previous hack, thus ensuring a short stay at the club.

The previous experiment's board seemed to have great patience for mediocrity and ineptitude but a hair trigger for firing the good ones.

So...

'Sack the board, sack the board, sack the board...'

Picture the scene...

The Sheriffs are 4-0 up and cruising. Every time Idiot Midfielder gets the ball and passes accurately (or rather goes on a selfish run) the crowd cheer (in the style of PorkPie from classic comedy series Desmonds)

"Yeah mon"

Tell me to shut up if you like but, I think I'm on a roll...

Everytime Idiot Striker scores a hatrick (and yes he will because the Sheriffs are great)...

to the tune of Call on Me - Eric Prydd

"He scores threeeeeee, He's from Zambiiiii a. He scores threeeeeee, He's from Zambiiiiii a, He scores threeeee" etc

Tell me to shut up if you like but, I think I'm on a roll...

Everytime Idiot Striker scores a hatrick (and yes he will because the Sheriffs are great)...

to the tune of Call on Me - Eric Prydd

"He scores threeeeeee, He's from Zambiiiii a. He scores threeeeeee, He's from Zambiiiiii a, He scores threeeee" etc

That's really bad :D

This is insane! Three pages and we've not even had an update yet!

My missus gave me a few rather funny looks when I suddenly yelped with delight when I saw that the new Bandits 2009 experiment had started and was showing on the forum listings.

I cannot wait for the first update.

But you know what? I think I am going to have a real soft spot for the Sheriffs! I always seem to follow the 'bad guys' and I am struggling to resist here!

Predictions:

Sheriffs will dominate in the early seasons but Bandits will close the gap;

It will take time for both to reach the Premiership and challenge in the top half - 25 years;

A Sheriffs player to end up playing for the Bandits ... and vice versa;

A Champions League trophy for one or both;

At some point, administration for the Sheriffs.

Kip - the first thread was amazing. This is an amazing start. Consider me, and 99.9% of others I suspect, in the QUALITY camp. Take your time and deliver the high quality we know you will.

Coooooommmmmmmmmeeeeeee on yoooooouuuuuu Sheriiiiffffffffffsssssssss!

I luckily can answer a couple of questions though. The FM09 regen system is amazing. In my 20 year save so far I've had fifty or so 195+ players, and suitable amounts as you down the ladder. A sensible amount of them can hit that too. They even get generated in many positions. Although there is a prevelance to blinding midfielders.

Excellent news for the longevity of this experiment!

I have to confess to speed reading the rest of the thread, so you might have already answered, but what is the Affiliate situation? Players coming in on loan, and eventually going out on loan, has a surprisingly large effect on player development.

Neither club has any affiliates at all, but I'll be monitoring whether that changes.

Incidentally Kip, what are the stadium capacities of the respective grounds of the Bandits and the Sheriffs? You said they were big, I was wondering how big and if they'll fill them every week. Also, do the grounds have expansion capacities?

As Meitheisman said, they are the same as FM07, which is 80k, with an expansion capacity of 250k (may have been moderated down). They should fill their stadia every match.

Eagerly anticipating the first update Kip! Have all the players of The Bandits got each other down as favoured staff? And maybe more importantly do the four Sheriff players have each other listed as favoured staff? I hold my breath waiting for the first update! (Don't keep me waiting too long...)

No, the players don't list each other as favourites, they just share the common love for their clubs (and hatred of their rival)

it doesnt take this long to do a season or so surely?

It took five hours just to holiday the first season :)

I'm partway through the report, but it is huge. In the last experiment, the initial reports were quite short, and later in the experiment, once all the players had retired, I added sections to analyse the world game more closely.

This time, all the sections are in from the start, so they will be the longest reports yet (and of course, there is another team to look at, albeit not in the same detail).

I'll go as quickly as I can, but at the moment there are 22 sections planned :)

This time, all the sections are in from the start, so they will be the longest reports yet (and of course, there is another team to look at, albeit not in the same detail).

Now that's excellent news regarding the detail part of the report. However, it's not good for eye care as far as I know. May the FM gods bless you with 48 hours a day Kip :)

i'm sure a 3ghz quad core with 4gb(or more) of RAM and a solid state hard drive would be pretty quick????

If any body has the above system give it a try!! :)

I'm not sure, but I don't think FM utilizes parallel processors. I think processor speed is all that matters.

Corrections anyone?

I already know this is going to be amazing work Kip, appreciate the time and effort your are (and always have) put into the bandits.

One of the main reasons so many people fell in love with them in the first place was how interesting and personal you made the updates.

I'm not sure, but I don't think FM utilizes parallel processors. I think processor speed is all that matters.

Corrections anyone?

I think it has multithread capabilities but the prevalence of solid state disks must be low and using one for FM would quickly see it deteoriate (due to the constant saving and rewriting).

I have a E8600 Intel Core 2 Duo Processor with 4GB of Ram together with tons of hard drive space, and yet it takes my computer time to simulate seasons on full detail.

Now what I'd really benefit from is if SI were to allow FM to utilise CUDA so my Geforce GTX 280 could be utilised, now that's a beast!

There isn't a laptop that would run a season featuring that many leagues and competitions on full detail in half an hour. Even a powerful desktop takes time to do it.
i'm sure a 3ghz quad core with 4gb(or more) of RAM and a solid state hard drive would be pretty quick????

If any body has the above system give it a try!! :)

Unless either of these is powerful enough to clone a few dozen extra kipfizh's the 30 minute season is still gonna take days to write up ;)

It would need a seperate thread to allow for discussion which is a big part of the experiment.

Think he meant just lock it while Kip is posting the 22 part epics, then unlock it once he's done for the discussion to be made.

Wow...my optician would no doubt be very worried by this.... i on the other hand cannot wait to see the first of many no doubt epic updates.

Mon the Sheriffs! :thup:

Am I the only one still rooting for the Bandits, now that the Sherriffs are here?:confused:

Archived