Why is championship manager 01/02 so popular?

Nostalgic though I am, and have enjoyed the series right from the very first Championship Manager, which I played on an Amiga (and the original Football Manager even further back on a Speccy!!), I've revisited some of the older versions and just can't get into them again.

They were all great in their day, but what we have now has surpassed them all by far.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can download it from Eidos websits. If you search the forums you can down load what they call the "tapanified" update. You can then update 01/02 to January 2009 !!!! If will even show the game starting in September 2008 !!! (You have to change a few options).

I found it works fine with vista once i have changed compatibility. Oh, and you can change the speed of the game too. You can make it run faster or slower

I am playing FM09 but occasionally have a little blast with 01/02.

There are several reasons why it is so fondly remembered:

1 - It was the last version of FM/CM where a season could be completed in one evening's play (it would be an evening that finished at 0300, but anyway...)

2 - It was the last of the CM3 series, which really could be described as the pinnacle of the building work on the game since the original CM.

3 - It came immediately before the 'troubled' CM4

4 - With the right formation and players you could blitz the game with a minimum of effort.

And most importantly, as Insert Goal Here stated:

CM01/02 was a great game, so easy to play, and light years ahead of any other management sim at the time

It didnt have the slider system and was pretty fast. You didnt loose lots of time just to play a season which made it very fun to play.

I would love to have this version with updated roster&date&competitions etc. A kind of "lite" version of FM...

It didnt have the slider system and was pretty fast. You didnt loose lots of time just to play a season which made it very fun to play.

I would love to have this version with updated roster&date&competitions etc. A kind of "lite" version of FM...

AFAIK they do

It ran a lot faster, so you could play far in into the future - working a full time job etc means that a season can take a couple of weeks to complete but in CM 01/02 you could completed several seasons in that time. Also you could produce stupidly good teams such as a liverpool team with Beckham, Giggs, Keane and Zidane in it (plus Del Piero up front). I guess it wasn't all that realistic in those terms but it was good fun.

Because it was my first Manager game. Funny enough I got this game from a cereal box. Thats how it started for me!! From there onwards I had the love of the game but since Football Manager 2008 I lost a bit of interest.

Me too was fantastic I rember getting the CM01/02 Quiz also!

Edit apart from the losing interest bit.

i have a problem, i bought the game, installed it, but when i go to start a career it always freezes when setting it up, no idea why, my pc is more than powerful enough. it always crashes when it says it is making player histories?

Did you get an error message? What db version are you using? Did you choose all leagues as active (including the "extra" leagues i.e. Conference, Serie C etc.)?

I had the same problem with an edited db (based on version 3.9.62, but game patched to 3.9.68) and all possible leagues selected. The problem was Swedish Second Division, and not selecting that solved the problem.

I still have the origanal disk which i play prob once a year. one word TSIGALKO!!!!!. All of belarus were amazing and you could pretty much buy the squad for a couple of mill. Also managed to download Championship manager 1. Runs in dos. Weve come a long way since domark.

CM0102 really was, & still is awesome. Am back with FM2009 for now but know at some point 0102 will grab me back again. Rarely mentioned but to me it seemed you could buy a potentially good player (if you used your in game knowledge) and they would, in a winning team, almost without fail develop into excellent players. Poor would still be poor, though.

It was the most realistic game of the series by a mile, no bugs and everything worked like it was supposed to. Even the awards section was spot on ie Player of the year etc..

FM09 is not far behind though, regen issue has finally been sorted and is perfect imo. Improved AI and CM01/02 awards system would make the game the most realistic and fun ever

FM09 is not far behind though, regen issue has finally been sorted and is perfect imo.

Regen issue has not been sorted IMO. I use FMRTE to watch Turkish top teams. In the begining of the game, their top 10 players has 140s-130s in CA, about 20 years into game, it rises to 150s-140s CA. A human manager can without problem collect players with 150s-160s as CA. The same applies to rest of the teams in the league, even mediocre teams has 130s-140s in the league after 15-20 years.

It was the most realistic game of the series by a mile, no bugs and everything worked like it was supposed to. Even the awards section was spot on ie Player of the year etc..

FM09 is not far behind though, regen issue has finally been sorted and is perfect imo. Improved AI and CM01/02 awards system would make the game the most realistic and fun ever

fm09 is way behind, it's riddled with faults and bugs, it's a half-completed product and SI should apologize for letting us paying customers down so badly.

You are right what you said about cm01/02 though, now looking back it definetly was way ahead of time, 7 years onwards and they still can't make anything comparable with it, it propably was the best football managing game ever! then ONLY problem cm01/02 had was conserning the regens, and especially the lack of it. Back then, with the availabe 'not-top-end' computers, you could choose maby 3 leagues in total when playing, and all the other leagues had only a couple of regens coming through annually.

But anyway, in every other regard, fantastic game, i played that same version until 2005, and this fm09 is the first game managing game i've bough since that one. And now i wish i would had just bought a pirate version of this game, it's not worth actually paying money for it. I'm not saying it's totally krap, it can be enjoyable at times, but way too many faults, seriously takes the shine of the game.

I have this horrible habbit of buying the games and then barely playing them since Championship Manager 03/04. I'll buy the game play for about a month, get bored then a couple of months later(around January) i'll want to play but can't because i know the new transfer window patch is coming out so i have to wait for that. Then i'll play for a few months and before you know it there's talk about the next FM game and all the features so i can't play anymore until the new one comes out. So i wouldn't mind if they skipped 2010(at least i'd get my moneys worth for once:))

I think i have OCD :(;)

Its all about nostalgia, nothing more. I wasnt an active member of the fm-cm community at the time of the game, but i had it and i loved it. Its the game that drawn me in to the CM/FM series (and should be available for free download as its such a highly thought of game from si, unless eidos are holding onto it)

It would be labelled as garbage now as times have moved on, but so would space invaders, pong, the first mortal kombat or Final Fantasy 7. Just a top game at its time

Its all about nostalgia, nothing more.

Wrong! At this moment in time I have Cm01/02, Fm2009, and Cm03/04 all installed on my PC. And of the three I find myself playing '03/04 the most, and '09 the least. Why? Because I prefer a game that is fun to play, properly tuned, and doesn't have gazillions of unrealistically implemented features slowing it down. Blind nostalgia ISN'T the reason.

Wrong! At this moment in time I have Cm01/02, Fm2009, and Cm03/04 all installed on my PC. And of the three I find myself playing '03/04 the most, and '09 the least. Why? Because I prefer a game that is fun to play, properly tuned, and doesn't have gazillions of unrealistically implemented features slowing it down. Blind nostalgia ISN'T the reason.

Whoah where did the "blind" in blind nostalgia come from? I wasnt slagging anyone off in my comment, it was a great game at the time. Maybe you should change your name to angry git.

You know what would be interesting. Someone made CM 01/02 with the 3d look, but the 01/02 engine, with the updated game. It might be impossible, but if one day we could do that, would be amazing.

Um, no, it really wouldn't. The CM01/02 ME was probably a lot worse than 09's- but you couldn't see it, so it was effectively bugless. With 3D, it would be worse than any ME since 2D was introduced.

Now, if you converted FM07's ME to 3D :p

Whoah where did the "blind" in blind nostalgia come from? I wasnt slagging anyone off in my comment, it was a great game at the time. Maybe you should change your name to angry git.

Nostalgia is an idealized longing for things, therefore by inference it must also be pretty blind. I wasn't slagging anyone off either, I was just disagreeing. Maybe you should calm down instead, heh.

• 2 months later...
fm09 is way behind, it's riddled with faults and bugs, it's a half-completed product and SI should apologize for letting us paying customers down so badly.

You are right what you said about cm01/02 though, now looking back it definetly was way ahead of time, 7 years onwards and they still can't make anything comparable with it, it propably was the best football managing game ever! then ONLY problem cm01/02 had was conserning the regens, and especially the lack of it. Back then, with the availabe 'not-top-end' computers, you could choose maby 3 leagues in total when playing, and all the other leagues had only a couple of regens coming through annually.

But anyway, in every other regard, fantastic game, i played that same version until 2005, and this fm09 is the first game managing game i've bough since that one. And now i wish i would had just bought a pirate version of this game, it's not worth actually paying money for it. I'm not saying it's totally krap, it can be enjoyable at times, but way too many faults, seriously takes the shine of the game.

I love how this very thread contains mention of Barcelona C winning the champion's league in 01/02, yet you're still claiming that the regens were the only problem.

The reason I found 01/02 fun, was because it's essentially the "arcade" version of management which lots of people clearly still want: you don't have to do a lot of management, you just buy some good players, do some craziness with the arrows on your tactics and watch the AI unravel

(or rather, read the AI unravel - I remember when the 2d version was introduced realising how often I had misinterpreted the commentary.)

It's unwillingness to over-complicate is commendable, however - whilst press conferences do exist, they're not particularl satisfying: managers also have to go to the loo, but I don't want this in the game. (especially not in 3d).

I was only 10 years old and cm 01/02 was the first cm/FM game I had. Had played management games like LMA before but nothing in the depth of that game. I couldn't go back and play it now after playing the recent Fm's but have so many good memories and probably better ones than I have had on the FM games. Tactically the game was easier and you could find wonder players like cherno samba who like always turned into 30 mill striker. I think for me this was good as I'm sure if it had been as complex as the game is now it would have been way out of my depth at such an age and I would have got easily frustrated and just given up.

CM0102 was the first CM for me too, had played a Dutch football manager game before it, but the game had too many limitations... I remember it was a special edition as it was the 10th Championship Manager game. I still got it actually, though I don't play it anymore. Have to say the box art is the best one that's ever been out there for CM/FM.

The reason I liked it so much was simply because it was my first version and because nearly all my friends played it too. Once we got together at school our CM stories was all we'd talk about all day.

Archived