[FM21] Manchester United: A club stuck in transition

BigV

2 hours ago, duvels said:

TBH, I'm quite happy with the performance in defense. Maybe with the balanced mentality, I'm too cautious.

Rashford keeping the ball waiting for Telles to overlap is indeed something to look at. That might give more incentive to Rashford to pass it to the striker. AWB and DDG are doing alright in their current role atm.

Should be alright with those things but maybe it is the mentality, dont forget the roles too make a big difference in how you play

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Season 2 review

image.png.4da8130e58a266e04f5ab55cbf8c79bc.png

Once again it turned into a two horse race between ourselves and Liverpool who chocked right at the end again.

image.png.6cff35e5175f9ad166aaf3f2ee5b86fb.png

Our run to the final was a lot more  straight forward this time with just a minor hiccup away to Atletico and the final was a lot easier than i was expecting.

image.png.84e958825bc94713310c2bf1f6f6b477.png

The FA Cup run was flawless, not a single goal conceded on the way to winning it against Norwich in the final

image.png.77225ea5a685c1cca14b2c54a15e9207.png

We now have a settled tactic,that dominates,scores plenty and is solid at the back.

image.png.48f5e770fb1aeccc926797af7ce2b4a9.png

Season 3 is fast approaching.We were given £179m in transfer funds at the end of season 2 so we are doing some business both in and out before the season starts.

42 minutes ago, milan_manutd said:

@axehan1 Is Badashiele that good that he is your first choice DC (along L.Felipe)?

Finishing 1st in PL with both cups won and playing vs Barca in UCL finale.

image.png.db2584c2885974e94ce71bfa29fd8415.png

Apart from a 6 week injury he was my 1st choice left sided cb,still has plenty of development ahead of him.

I didn't expect that first season will goes so smoth. Cavani golden boot in UCL, Bruno 25 goals and 16 asist in all competitions and he was more than 2 months out. Bailly 2 asist in UCL 1/2 vs Liverpool, Greenwood goal and asist in finale UCL vs Barca, Alex Telles 7,39 in 45 games average...

Upamecano, Donnarumma, Ginter and Sergio Gomes arriving in june on free and I expect 20 players coming back from loan.

20-21.jpg

6 hours ago, duvels said:

True. Here's my tactic, but as said, not so sure about the striker role. Or maybe some other instructions which aren't ideal?
image.png.1ccc7a712145b22d6457554f22a098c5.png

I'm honestly not an expert at this game, and I never have been, so you can try out what I say or not, but I'll just give a little of my own views on this. 

First, Martial on AF is fine, especially since you've got a 10 in Bruno, so you'll have someone deeper, while Martial can be used to make runs in behind.

Second, it's important to remember Player Traits, or their Preferred Moves(PPMs). PPMs are what a player will naturally gravitate towards doing. I'm not sure on FM21, but if I remember correctly on FM20, is that Sancho has the PPM "moves ball onto right foot before dribbling". Now, FM isn't a representation on real life, but what this means to me is that he will stay a bit wider despite having him on IW(A). He's right footed, being played on the right, and has that PPM which means he's always more often than not going to try to beat his man outside rather than inside. 
Dropping him to a support role will mean you exercise the full extent of his attributes. He can cross, he can move into midfield, he can get into the box, he can do everything in that role. Sancho is more a creative playmaking winger that scores goals, rather than an out and out goalscorer. On the other hand, you have Rashford, who is predominantly a goalscorer and who probably still has the "Cuts Inside" PPM and whose foot is opposite the side he's playing on. I'd return Rashford to the IF(A) role, or continue to play him on support, but with a "Get Further Forward" instruction. Rashford will then become a wide forward, while Sancho will play as a creative winger, but also will get into the box to overload or make runs into space to open teams up.

I'd also play Bruno as the AM(A) rather than an AP(A), as it feels to me a better representation of his values. For example, Mata is the kind of player I'd view as an AP, but Bruno is much more dynamic. 

Here's a big gripe for me. Pogba in a midfield 2 playing as a Mezzala. Pogba has terrible Positioning, Tackling, Marking and his Decision making is average. One thing to note is that because of the traits of a Mezzala, he is moving further ahead, because of the space left by Sancho. This is leaving you with a midfield solely with Bentancur in it. While you may still defensively be secure in your save(God knows how), I imagine due to a Balanced mentality, you're also lessening your options for recycling possession and for interlinking play more centrally, as your players will all be operating in such a tight space, with teams sitting deep. Although it says they're similar to a B2B role, it's important to remember that a Mezzala is NOT a B2B midfielder. You could consider Pogba as a Box to Box, but honestly, I'm sceptical of playing Pogba in a midfield 2 with his attributes and lack of Work Rate. Unless you're going to play with Inverted Wingbacks to cover the space and offer options, so you can persist with him as a Mezzala, then I'm doubtful. 

As @BigV said, Telles on WB(S) is just fine. He still gets forward when needed, will support the defence, and will do everything that is required of him. WB(A) in my opinion is predominantly for when you are not featuring any other wide players in your team. If you don't like that, CWB(S) is good and switch Maguire to the opposite side.

There's also honestly no particular need for the Overlap function. Telles will overlap when he needs to and if there's space to do so. Enabling that instruction may slow down play and allow the defence to be more compact.

I'd also take out "Work Ball Into Box", as you have "Shorter Passing", and as was screamed at me in words previously 2 years ago, together they are just overkill. I have a thing about High Tempos and Shorter Passing but a lot of people play this way, so I'll leave that.

The rest is a full on Gegenpress, so I won't touch that either. 

Generally, my theory is that you're pinning teams in but not doing much with the ball..

However, this is more me delving in part to the realistic aspects, so it could all be a fart in the wind. Who knows. 

So looks like I'm all set to start my save within the next few days.

Considering loading more leagues this time because I'm starting my Utd save so early in FM21's cycle, I was pretty much going for 25 leagues but may go for 50. I do have an Intel i9 9900k and 16gb RAM so it's a pretty good setup for FM. 

What do you all run in here? Because I know some people load even more than 50 leagues, some people go for the whole lot, lol :D

50 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Considering loading more leagues this time because I'm starting my Utd save so early in FM21's cycle, I was pretty much going for 25 leagues but may go for 50

Crazzaayyy if you're United then I would suggest the the whole player count in the region rather having that many leagues. 

The again I dont know the ratio of a good spec pc working so many leagues

I usually use the main big countries like spain germany etc. top 2/3 leagues and use them as view only, just makes the gameplay faster but with the speedy saving and processing times you could go further

50 leagues my God, i can only dream of that :lol:

1 hour ago, BigV said:

Crazzaayyy if you're United then I would suggest the the whole player count in the region rather having that many leagues. 

The again I dont know the ratio of a good spec pc working so many leagues

I usually use the main big countries like spain germany etc. top 2/3 leagues and use them as view only, just makes the gameplay faster but with the speedy saving and processing times you could go further

50 leagues my God, i can only dream of that :lol:

Yeah I'm thinking it may be a little OTT but because I built my PC purely for FM I feel like I should make the most of it. Ran a test on FM20 and it took just over 6 mins to progress through a whole month with 50 leagues loaded, with 25 it was just under 4 mins. I'll run the test again to see if FM21 has been made faster as it does feel faster this year.

Yeah, I'm a 50 league guy, db of over 100,000 players.  1/2 star performance.  If it's a full 1 star I KEEP ADDING !

I dont mind the wait for processing...makes me get up and move a little bit instead of staying fused to my chair all day.  

So...it's purely for health reasons!

Edited by DominicForza
added info

I'm pretty sure the stars have been bugged for years. I don't know that I've ever seen above maybe one star even with a single league loaded. That said, I have every country, and almost every league, loaded. I excluded lower leagues in some countries that I don't really care about.

Edited by Juls317

Won the league and CL in my first season. I used a random tactic from Knap's thread and adjusted mentality/SUS instructions by match. Greenwood banged in 41 goals in all competition including 31 in the league. I highly recommend the tactic as it seems to bring the best out of the strikers and is more or less plug and play.

fm_KN35e02FD9.thumb.png.8fd7ddfb96eaea4d7fa47524b8c1d51f.png

fm_tRd2MJqacW.thumb.png.5773be07453c9672875485fe3e168ceb.png

Managed to get rid of some deadweight in the first window but ended up keeping Lingard as there weren't a lot of options available in the market. All of the buys were great, Skriniar and Demiral were absolute bargains. Currently wrapping up business in the second summer window and trying to offload De Gea but it doesn't seem possible. Pogba was difficult to get rid of as well. I've found the most effective way for getting transfer listed players to find clubs on their own is to assertively tell them the team can't afford their wages. Pogba and Lingard did not have bidders until that talk was had and they actively started looking for suitors.

The new Brexit system is annoying mostly in that non-English youth players cannot be transferred until they turn 18, much like South American players for all European clubs. Otherwise I've not had any permit issues with European players.

Overall, I think getting rid of high wages should be the priority at the start. Pogba's DLP role is in great abundance and he is no longer a world-beater like in the years prior. With Greenwood, Rashford, Hendo, and some combination of McTominay, Tuanzebe, Garner, Williams, and Hannibal, there's more than enough youth to fill the home-grown slots. English talent in general is plentiful this year.

fm_CNvhLoxMyH.thumb.png.41fff1c3be7ea330df94e647e217b03a.png

fm_hlwMIBQapu.thumb.png.40f98f61ff935e3b7b4df5e9bf559ae4.png

Edited by byang08

Lol I know most of you are saying it's important to get rid of the deadwood ASAP, but I'm sticking to my guns and keeping the first window closed :D Tbh I reckon I would do that for any save with any team, just like doing it for an extra challenge really and it keeps the database pretty realistic up until January. 

@DominicForza @Juls317

Good to know I won't be the only one in here to load at least 50 leagues! :D Cyprus is a big miss, so I'm hoping @Travis Bickle comes out with his great file for FM21 again as it's the biggest European league missing on FM, not sure why SI can't get it in the game as I doubt the license would cost much? Looks like I may have to add it in season 2 as I can't find a Cyprus league made by anyone so far.

I reckon because I am starting my Utd save so early this time that I will load at least 50 leagues, as it's my long term save so I can take my time and still get through a lot of seasons by next March or so when I'll probably start my 2nd save with another team when the January window update hits. Most I have run with was 88 leagues, which = at least 1 league per nation in the game, but it did feel a tad too slow for me. I've heard FM21 runs the whole database quickly though so who knows, I might test it lol.

14 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

So looks like I'm all set to start my save within the next few days.

Considering loading more leagues this time because I'm starting my Utd save so early in FM21's cycle, I was pretty much going for 25 leagues but may go for 50. I do have an Intel i9 9900k and 16gb RAM so it's a pretty good setup for FM. 

What do you all run in here? Because I know some people load even more than 50 leagues, some people go for the whole lot, lol :D

I loaded my save with all 119 leagues and around 380k players (the most possible to load with original db). I run the game in a i7 5820K, 4x4Gb and GTX1070 without any problem and this version of the game was much more smoothly than FM20 or 19. I'm planning to go 10 or more seasons in this savegame. I used a new feature when the country has an option to play the major league and load the other with view only.

2 hours ago, Joao Arq said:

I used a new feature when the country has an option to play the major league and load the other with view only.

I didn't know that was a thing you could do, wow.

32 minutes ago, Juls317 said:

I didn't know that was a thing you could do, wow.

In the picture below you could see for example: England have Championship and Premier League playable and the rest as view only. This feature is amazing to setup new savegames. 

image_2020-11-30_113203.png

The issue with big data is easy to solve. My comp is 6 years old and I have 4+4GB RAM with some bad graphics but I load all the leagues (playable) and after first season just do the Add/Remove options to offload necessary countries/players and to speed up a bit. 

This is what I do - just go on Player search and in filter I choice all the players from for example Romania and check their stats or went to league table and check the best players from best clubs. It's so slow but I don't have faith in my scouts and also is not boring to me because I find some older familiar faces (does anyone remember Balazs Dzudzsak and how good he was when you take him from PSV 10 years ago - on my save he is in Debrecin, HUN). Also is very useful to make quick shortlist if you plan to play with smaller clubs which I do after big save with UTD. 

So load all countries and grab some unknown wonderkids from all over the World and just remove leagues at any time.

Edited by milan_manutd

So I said we had a tricky start in my previous post, we were then drawn in an interesting champs league group with Juve, Ajax and Monchengladbach. 

And it has certainly been an up and down start.1616906250_startresults.png.4ffda257350a49150317c2c951efdbeb.png

We had a difficult start in the league, the loss to chelsea was difficult to take as we deserved more, but Liverpool battered us and Telles also got sent off. But our win against city was particularly sweet with Cavani scoring a bullet header in the 92 minute to win us it. Defensively we haven't been great, and the plan is to sign a cb in Jan. 

Rashford so far is my best player, yet has now had 3 separate injuries which is annoying.

53 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

So I said we had a tricky start in my previous post, we were then drawn in an interesting champs league group with Juve, Ajax and Monchengladbach. 

And it has certainly been an up and down start.1616906250_startresults.png.4ffda257350a49150317c2c951efdbeb.png

We had a difficult start in the league, the loss to chelsea was difficult to take as we deserved more, but Liverpool battered us and Telles also got sent off. But our win against city was particularly sweet with Cavani scoring a bullet header in the 92 minute to win us it. Defensively we haven't been great, and the plan is to sign a cb in Jan. 

Rashford so far is my best player, yet has now had 3 separate injuries which is annoying.

What tactics are you using? Also, do you do your own training schedules?

Edited by mikenevo

1 hour ago, mikenevo said:

What tactics are you using? Also, do you do your own training schedules?

This is what I am using.

1237024684_tactic1.png.6753c0b029220b91807cc9ed9916e9b4.png

Occasionally I put Bruno in the right wing position and move him inside, but only did that in 2 games.

Forms good though now, only 3 points off chelsea and liverpool.

But no I leave the training to the assistant most of the time, tweak it here and there.

47 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

This is what I am using.

1237024684_tactic1.png.6753c0b029220b91807cc9ed9916e9b4.png

Occasionally I put Bruno in the right wing position and move him inside, but only did that in 2 games.

Forms good though now, only 3 points off chelsea and liverpool.

But no I leave the training to the assistant most of the time, tweak it here and there.

Fair one. Fernandes definitely plays better in that AMC, that's the only thing I can really say on that. As for training, you should definitely look at doing it yourself, it can give you that extra 10 - 20% more in matches, especially because your assistant manager doesn't bother putting in match tactics before game day, when he does the training, he basically focuses solely on training and nothing goes towards preparing for matches. 

If you're unsure on anything, take a look at https://www.youtube.com/c/foxintheboxfm because he is very good at explaining all that stuff and once you know what you're doing, it takes no time at all to plan a whole months training.

Successful season I'd say. Greenwood finished on 48 goals and 9 assists in 56 appearances. Bruno had 20 and 16 in 47, Rashford with 26 and 15 in 55. Massive season from those three.

I've accidentally started to scoop up regens from across the world, so I have some squad sorting to do to shift players that either aren't up to scratch, or finding loans for some of the young guys in order to keep the squad from ballooning in size.

season.PNG

16 hours ago, Joao Arq said:

I loaded my save with all 119 leagues and around 380k players (the most possible to load with original db). I run the game in a i7 5820K, 4x4Gb and GTX1070 without any problem and this version of the game was much more smoothly than FM20 or 19. I'm planning to go 10 or more seasons in this savegame. I used a new feature when the country has an option to play the major league and load the other with view only.

Hmm, interesting. I don't think I have the patience to load every league, I think I'll stick with 50 max. Even with 50 I feel it still takes a while to process, maybe I'm just impatient lol.

I don't see the point in view only, it only makes the results in that league visible right? Players don't become available from view only leagues I don't think.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

6 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I don't see the point in view only, it only makes the results in that league visible right? Players don't become available from view only leagues I don't think.

They do but to a lesser amount, unless you go to the advanced page and pick from the list of options you have.

FM19 onwards view only made player count increase than the league not loaded, basically they fixed it and how it should've been, i think view only is for those dead set on staying in a certain league or certain team, not the best thing for a journeyman save 

7 hours ago, Juls317 said:

I've accidentally started to scoop up regens from across the world, so I have some squad sorting to do to shift players that either aren't up to scratch, or finding loans for some of the young guys in order to keep the squad from ballooning in size.

I have found that when you already start with good youth players, and have top class facilities you don't really need to sign regens from other clubs, it will only end up harming the development of the players you already have and those that comes through your own youth intake 

Edited by Falahk

8 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Hmm, interesting. I don't think I have the patience to load every league, I think I'll stick with 50 max. Even with 50 I feel it still takes a while to process, maybe I'm just impatient lol.

1 hour ago, BigV said:

They do but to a lesser amount, unless you go to the advanced page and pick from the list of options you have.

FM19 onwards view only made player count increase than the league not loaded, basically they fixed it and how it should've been, i think view only is for those dead set on staying in a certain league or certain team, not the best thing for a journeyman save 

I think with view only is not about the results, but the players in all leagues loaded develop better because they have competitions to play. Other thing I see is the transfer mark more unpredictable with more options to sell/buy. 

Thanks for the help @mikenevo  @BigV @MatthewS17 I did turn up with something I'm pleased with now, although I changed some more stuff than you guys suggested.
image.png.c67a870b8585e8867cfe24437bc5e008.png

So mentality went to positive, I switched the player roles of the wingers (IW-S on the left, IF-A on the right while it was IF-S and IW-A), removed the overlap on the left and put AWB on WB-S.

More importantly though: out of possession I'm not pressing as high anymore. The line of engagement and the defensive line are on the standard position, with the pressing intensity reduced with 1 click as well. I reduced the tempo with one click too and put in pass into space.

My reasoning behind all this is I had the impression we were winning the ball back quite high and we did have a lot of possession. However, this left no space for the striker to run into, so he was up to 2, 3 or even 4 defenders in the box all the time. With pressing a bit lower, a mid block, when we do get the ball back, we have more space ahead of us to exploit. I notice this in the number of shots of my striker gone up and also my AP who has more assists now compared to before the changes. We did give up some possession, but not too much. Only against the big teams who play a possession style tactic we are about 50-50 now.

Oh, an extra bonus: all this has reduced the overall intensity of the tactic, which helps over the season with keeping players a bit fresher.

Edited by duvels

2 hours ago, Falahk said:

I have found that when you already start with good youth players, and have top class facilities you don't really need to sign regens from other clubs, it will only end up harming the development of the players you already have and those that comes through your own youth intake 

My intakes have actually been impressively mediocre, to the point where I've sacked the HoYD to try to improve them. I've made sure to pluck regens in positions that, mostly, wouldn't hinder players that are already at the club, but it's also becoming evident that some of the ones already at the club aren't going to be up to spec anyway.

4 hours ago, duvels said:

So mentality went to positive, I switched the player roles of the wingers (IW-S on the left, IF-A on the right while it was IF-S and IW-A), removed the overlap on the left and put AWB on WB-S.

More importantly though: out of possession I'm not pressing as high anymore. The line of engagement and the defensive line are on the standard position, with the pressing intensity reduced with 1 click as well. I reduced the tempo with one click too and put in pass into space.

My reasoning behind all this is I had the impression we were winning the ball back quite high and we did have a lot of possession. However, this left no space for the striker to run into, so he was up to 2, 3 or even 4 defenders in the box all the time. With pressing a bit lower, a mid block, when we do get the ball back, we have more space ahead of us to exploit. I notice this in the number of shots of my striker gone up and also my AP who has more assists now compared to before the changes. We did give up some possession, but not too much. Only against the big teams who play a possession style tactic we are about 50-50 now.

Oh, an extra bonus: all this has reduced the overall intensity of the tactic, which helps over the season with keeping players a bit fresher.

Glad its working for you, made some neat changes i didnt see and done well with it :thup:

Your 3rd para is very important that people seem to miss out on, so im glad you've thought about it and seen what the changes do, helps you become a better manager after all :applause:

3 hours ago, BigV said:

Glad its working for you, made some neat changes i didnt see and done well with it :thup:

Your 3rd para is very important that people seem to miss out on, so im glad you've thought about it and seen what the changes do, helps you become a better manager after all :applause:

Totally agree, you need to have a visual in your head of how you want things to work when making a tactic.

3 hours ago, mikenevo said:

Totally agree, you need to have a visual in your head of how you want things to work when making a tactic.

That's my problem, I don't have a visual in my head how things should look. I just hope whatever I have put together works :lol:

20 hours ago, duvels said:

Thanks for the help @mikenevo  @BigV @MatthewS17 I did turn up with something I'm pleased with now, although I changed some more stuff than you guys suggested.
image.png.c67a870b8585e8867cfe24437bc5e008.png

A little thing but move Pogba to the left central midfield spot as that's his preference. He does actually seem to do better there.

13 minutes ago, RazorsEdge said:

A little thing but move Pogba to the left central midfield spot as that's his preference. He does actually seem to do better there.

Yes I know, but that would leave the left wing vulnerable as I think his defensive awareness isn't as good. He's on the list of players I wouldn't mind leaving actually... 

53 minutes ago, duvels said:

Yes I know, but that would leave the left wing vulnerable as I think his defensive awareness isn't as good. He's on the list of players I wouldn't mind leaving actually... 

Yeah, if your main tactic is a 4231 Pogba certainly isn't ideal to be a part of the '2', maybe a luxury we don't need.

1 hour ago, duvels said:

I'm in the second season and Barcelona have started to sniff around for him. Looks like you might be able to get £90M for him. Just waiting on them to pull the trigger.

25 minutes ago, RazorsEdge said:

I'm in the second season and Barcelona have started to sniff around for him. Looks like you might be able to get £90M for him. Just waiting on them to pull the trigger.

End of the 2nd season here and PSG and Real Madrid are interested. I put the asking price at €100m, will see what happens. I'm about to sign a 37 year old Cristiano Ronaldo on a free as well :lol: This isn't a long term save anyway with the youth intake bug...

Edited by duvels

2 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

What bug?

This one:

TLDR: Non-playable leagues had diminishing number of youths coming in, so after some years they have no regens at all. I didn't load a lot of leagues for this one, so my game is kind of skewed towards English players already.

2 minutes ago, axehan1 said:

My youth don't look to bad.I've had 2 intakes so far and I reckon at least 6 players could be developed quite nicely. Doesn't feel buggy to me. 

It's for the non-playable leagues. E.g. at the start of the game you pick England until League 1 as playable, together with a few of the big European leagues. Then you pick some other interesting leagues like Brazil, Argentina etc, but set them to non-playable. That last group of leagues won't have newgens coming in, so in 10 years time, Brazil and Argentina would only have greyed out players in their national squads.

I think I saw another report somewhere on the forums about a guy saying that even the AI clubs in the playable leagues are affected, but not as much as the clubs in non-playable leagues. 

2 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

The fix will be save game compatible though.

Yes, but as I said, I'm 2 seasons in, so those countries have a 2 year disadvantage. Also my own country by the way, which I always try to get the national manager job from some years in.

1 hour ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Yeah, if your main tactic is a 4231 Pogba certainly isn't ideal to be a part of the '2', maybe a luxury we don't need.

He turns up for me if he's an AP or MEZ role, I watched a streamer in the beta and he was pinging balls left right and center, never felt like wanting to see that pogba irl so much :lol:

1 hour ago, BigV said:

He turns up for me if he's an AP or MEZ role, I watched a streamer in the beta and he was pinging balls left right and center, never felt like wanting to see that pogba irl so much :lol:

I would imagine if you are using him as an AP or a MEZ, the fullback you are using on that side is very conservative?

Edited by Gee_Simpson

2 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Looks like everyone wants rid :lol:

He's just always such a nuisance in my opinion. And the minute someone like Real or PSG come sniffing around he kicks off and throws a fit so he's almost always worth getting rid of in my opinion.