[FM21] Manchester United: A club stuck in transition

BigV

db.png.32f057b83a2c2b58b468699a7b60d2bb.png

Welcome to the Manchester United FM21 thread

A prestige club that has won: 3 Champions League titles, 1 Europa League, 20 Premiership titles and 12 F.A. Cup's. Most of these were under Sir Matt Busby (The Busby Years) and Sir Alex Ferguson. After the inevitable retirement of SAF, Louis Van gaal and Mourinho have followed ways leading to some success in the FA Cup, Europa league and hitting 2nd place for the first time since SAF's departure which has led to some heavy rebuilding. Both ultimately left after stagnating perfomances and lack of titles which has led to the appoitment of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. Can we do better than those before us and bring us back to where we belong? you decide!

Stadium: Old Trafford

Capactiy: 75,635

Training Facilities: State of the art

Youth Facilities: State of the art

Junior Recruitment: Excellent

Youth Recruitment: Excellent

Old-Trafford-Manchester-United-F365.jpg.eb0b29e3491a9b7e0f1382bd4b6431c6.jpg

Finances: Rich

Transfer Budget: £52m

Wage Budget: £3.9m pw

Media Prediction: 4th

Club Culture

Play attacking football

develop players using youth system

sign player under the age of 22 for the future

Sign high rep players

Sign English players

Play entertaining football

Sing players under the age of 23 for the first team

End of Season objectives

Reach champions cup KO round

Qualify for Euro Cup

Reach FA cup Semifinals (Min)

Work towards becoming the most rep team in England

Work towards becoming the most rep team in Europe

Work towards becoming the most rep team in the World

Noticeable First Team Players

David De Gea, Bruno, Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood,Telles, Donny van de Beek, Cavani

Spoiler

ddg.PNG.e8eafcc3756b95b85c89fac6a0b786c5.PNG

2.PNG.de2eacd9de5f253661908afd9c343787.PNG

3.PNG.08c6bc9f40dfed4a5895f72d26d02d4a.PNG

4.PNG.d7bd872102d5e633535e76be871fc941.PNG

5.PNG.f2e7e554f2d9db0cadf144b36a3f990f.PNG

6.PNG.e8269f7732e46d66f2b8e2f9a39a850f.PNG

7.PNG.956a2e3e37b73a3e1ac77adb5f95cb10.PNG

8.PNG.38206b4058adbc00e76b8e8f8555a6a6.PNG

Youth prospects

Mejbri, Pellistri, Laird, Garner, Mengi, Amad Diallo (Jan 21), Alejandro Garnacho, Marc Jurado, Alvaro Carreras,  Isak Hansen-Aaroen, Charlie McNeill, Kambwala, Shoretire, Will Fish.

Spoiler

1.PNG.3796aa6ff0a82321faa6caf93f0bb518.PNG

2.PNG.5528094a00a17f53c53f26adf00fd221.PNG

3.PNG.e34e849046e5e3517416bf0df0203f5d.PNG

4.PNG.cceb3af4ab04be9d45c67624f168414f.PNG

5.PNG.1490c5dd5f862def8a0fe58bb0191553.PNG

7.PNG.eb45e432fb251fe14c5c8adef8fb16e1.PNG

8.PNG.bb756620c369bc339dad717c822468fc.PNG

9.PNG.6435d79bd16a598a6a40832f4d48f170.PNG

10.PNG.832c84c214a9d8a59bdc50284382370b.PNG

11.PNG.e7fc29506116979bd3f4e95021e31008.PNG

12.PNG.ce94080fddeae890b1090722aab397b5.PNG

13.PNG.a997160c5ac761823db9c0aa1d55ad8e.PNG

14.PNG.7fe08c06408210e7f7c55ceda7531aa9.PNG

With Ole changing the culture at Manchester United trying to emulate during the SAF era, are you ready to accept the challenges that wait ahead? Can you rebuild better than our last 3 managers? Can you succeed better than the previous managers? Only time will tell, cant wait to see whats in store in FM21, get posting below fellow United savers! 

6.PNG

Edited by BigV

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for getting this started BigV 👍

I’ll kick things off, prior to the beta release I’d gone back to FM17 for a few weeks and got playing an old formation I had great fun with in the 4-3-1-2 and I have to say that it looks like an obvious tactic to use with the current United team.

The flat 3 in midfield allows you to get VDB and Pogba in the starting line up as well as a holding midfielder to protect the back 4.

The AM allows Bruno to play in the hole and be a creative juggernaut and having 2 strikers allows for great rotation of Marcus, Tony, Mason and Edison.

So with that I mind my goal will be to get a 4-3-1-2 working as my main tactic with a 4-2-3-1 and then either a 4-1-2-2-1 or a 5-2-1-2 as my second and third

I'm currently 21 matches in and 2nd in the table (behind Liverpool who are 2 points ahead with a game in hand). Really liking the team this year. Brought in Edouard for 35mil, Ben White for 30m, Gravenberch for 7mil now and 14mil across the next three years and Marcus Edwards for 14mil. Overpaid a bit for Edouard and probably for Ben White as well, but given that White is English, it was a good move in my mind to help reinforce the back line and fulfill a board goal of signing English players. Edouard was just a case where I didn't want to risk him going anywhere else, but I imagine I could have gotten him for 25-30mil. Sold off Lingard, Rojo and Romero for 15mil, 10mil and 2.5mil respectively. Still working to get some of the other deadwood out like Jones, but shockingly no one wants him.

My main tactic has been a 4231 with de Gea in goal, a back line of Telles - Maguire - Lindelof - AWB, Pogba and Fred in a double pivot with Fernandes ahead of them at AM. Rashford on the left, Greenwood on the right and it was supposed to be Edouard up top but he picked up an ab tear so it's mostly been Cavani until now as I work Edouard back up to fitness. White has started to perform quite well and push for Lindelof's place, so there's been some rotation there. I'm also still working out who I want on the left wing and at the striker spot since there are plenty of configurations for those positions.

Backup tactic is a 41212 to give Telles more room on the wing to get forward and play two strikers.

14 minutes ago, Juls317 said:

I'm currently 21 matches in and 2nd in the table (behind Liverpool who are 2 points ahead with a game in hand). Really liking the team this year. Brought in Edouard for 35mil, Ben White for 30m, Gravenberch for 7mil now and 14mil across the next three years and Marcus Edwards for 14mil. Overpaid a bit for Edouard and probably for Ben White as well, but given that White is English, it was a good move in my mind to help reinforce the back line and fulfill a board goal of signing English players. Edouard was just a case where I didn't want to risk him going anywhere else, but I imagine I could have gotten him for 25-30mil. Sold off Lingard, Rojo and Romero for 15mil, 10mil and 2.5mil respectively. Still working to get some of the other deadwood out like Jones, but shockingly no one wants him.

My main tactic has been a 4231 with de Gea in goal, a back line of Telles - Maguire - Lindelof - AWB, Pogba and Fred in a double pivot with Fernandes ahead of them at AM. Rashford on the left, Greenwood on the right and it was supposed to be Edouard up top but he picked up an ab tear so it's mostly been Cavani until now as I work Edouard back up to fitness. White has started to perform quite well and push for Lindelof's place, so there's been some rotation there. I'm also still working out who I want on the left wing and at the striker spot since there are plenty of configurations for those positions.

Backup tactic is a 41212 to give Telles more room on the wing to get forward and play two strikers.

See I’ve been quiet bold with my save, I’ve not brought anyone in except Florentino Luis on a future transfer.

Ive sold, Jones, Rojo, lindelof and Eric will be going when he’s fit.

My main CB pairing will be Harry and Axel with Mengi promoted to the first XI. I’ve then decided to retrain AWB as a CB and I’ll be using him to cover injuries and probably he’s start at CB when I use a back 3 and to cover him on the right I’m using Brendan and Ethan Laird.

Also I’m going for a Youth centred Beta save so all of the top rated youths in the U18s have been promoted to U23s and the top U23s got promoted to the main team

Edited by Zeonflux

14 minutes ago, Juls317 said:

Sold off Lingard, Rojo and Romero for 15mil, 10mil and 2.5mil respectively. Still working to get some of the other deadwood out like Jones, but shockingly no one wants him

Gone are the days when you could sell them for 30m+ :( good realism to the game, although there are some valuation issues atm it will be patched come release or further patches.

LW I reckon you can find quite easily or at least wonderkids who like to rotate. Striker not so much considering we're filled and anyone you bring in will become 2nd maybe lower in line. 

Greenwoods stats look like he'd be imense as a striker tbf so it could be worth moving him there and getting a right winger- traditional sense in sancho or in other cases mbappe or smaller names to build up- pellistri is champ level I think so could be worth blending him in?

10 minutes ago, Zeonflux said:

See I’ve been quiet bold with my save, I’ve not brought anyone in except Florentino Luis on a future transfer.

Ive sold, Jones, Rojo, lindelof and Eric will be going when he’s fit.

My main CB pairing will be Harry and Axel with Mengi promoted to the first XI. I’ve then decided to retrain AWB as a CB and I’ll be using him to cover injuries and probably he’s start at CB when I use a back 3 and to cover him on the right I’m using Brendan and Ethan Laird.

Also I’m going for a Youth centred Beta save so all of the top rated youths in the U18s have been promoted to U23s and the top U23s got promoted to the main team

I've sent a lot of the promising youth out on loan to give them some game time, but as I continue the squad turnover they'll get integrated, certainly. I still plan to be youth-centered, but I felt like there were some spots that were going to need reinforcement anyway. Like in the case of White, he can integrate with Axel, Harry, Teden and possibly AWB (as I had had thoughts of retraining him as well) to create a lot of depth. I still plan to keep Lindelof around cuz I love a Swede though.

3 minutes ago, BigV said:

Gone are the days when you could sell them for 30m+ :( good realism to the game, although there are some valuation issues atm it will be patched come release or further patches.

LW I reckon you can find quite easily or at least wonderkids who like to rotate. Striker not so much considering we're filled and anyone you bring in will become 2nd maybe lower in line. 

Greenwoods stats look like he'd be imense as a striker tbf so it could be worth moving him there and getting a right winger- traditional sense in sancho or in other cases mbappe or smaller names to build up- pellistri is champ level I think so could be worth blending him in?

I think I probably could have gotten more for Lingard if I had kept him around and played him some, but I wanted to get the money into the budget now rather than later.

I think LW is actually fine between Rashford and Martial, especially since Edwards can play on the left as well as the right, and Dan James is still floating around, though he's on a disappointing loan spell at Southampton right now.

Greenwood actually wanted to be guaranteed to play as a striker when he signed his new contract, but I cut the clause since we were pretty congested at the position when I resigned him, since Igalho was still on loan as well, and I didn't want to issue a promise that could come back to bite me. He'll get time there as I look to integrate Pellestri and Diallo in the coming years. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to extend Cavani's deal, which factors in as well. I don't think I'll go for Sancho given Pellestri is super highly rated this year according to the wonderkid lists, so I want to see how well I can get him to develop.

10 minutes ago, BigV said:

That was my thinking with opting for a 4-3-1-2 as a starting tactic.

The striking options look too good to choose just 1 and I don’t really want to play Greenwood as an AMR when he looks the business as a striker.

Plus I don’t want to spend my transfer budget on a right winger that is mostly gonna be a rotation option as the tactics I’m leaning towards using work are 2 striker systems.

2 minutes ago, Zeonflux said:

That was my thinking with opting for a 4-3-1-2 as a starting tactic.

The striking options look too good to choose just 1 and I don’t really want to play Greenwood as an AMR when he looks the business as a striker.

Plus I don’t want to spend my transfer budget on a right winger that is mostly gonna be a rotation option as the tactics I’m leaning towards using work are 2 striker systems.

I've used him as a raumdueter, so it allows him to play similar to a striker from the wing. he's been quite good in the role.

Been researching a bit on our youth and WOW just WOW our potential is crazy

About 9 of our players are in the top 20 in each position, williams is 3rd best LB in potential, Laird is like 6th, shotire and pellistri is 5th, greenwood is top for striker (higher than halaand whos 2nd) :eek:

Edited by BigV

22 minutes ago, Juls317 said:

I've used him as a raumdueter, so it allows him to play similar to a striker from the wing. he's been quite good in the role.

Oh I might use that role for him in my 4-2-3-1.

There is a lot to look forward to in terms of youth players, I’ve already got Hannibal in the first team

48 minutes ago, BigV said:

About 9 of our players are in the top 20 in each position, williams is 3rd best LB in potential, Laird is like 6th, shotire and pellistri is 5th, greenwood is top for striker (higher than halaand whos 2nd) :eek:

How are you able to make that statement regarding potential? Are you just taking into account coach and scout reports?

1 hour ago, BigV said:

Be remiss of me not to point out that apart from Greenwood they all have minus PAs so this will vary a lot from game to game

1 hour ago, Craglyboy said:

How are you able to make that statement regarding potential? Are you just taking into account coach and scout reports?

I’m guessing he’s been looking online and found someone who’s seen the editor data on the United youth players

2 hours ago, Craglyboy said:

Im a discord mod for FM scout so I tend to look alot at their vids and articles and their updates regarding players and changes- they have a wonderkid list for positions based on the large database

1 hour ago, Nick OGS20 said:

Be remiss of me not to point out that apart from Greenwood they all have minus PAs so this will vary a lot from game to game

Thanks for letting me know, will use that to edit for FM scouts PA ratings :thup:

3 hours ago, BigV said:

How are you seeing their PAs?

4 hours ago, Zeonflux said:

Oh I might use that role for him in my 4-2-3-1.

There is a lot to look forward to in terms of youth players, I’ve already got Hannibal in the first team

As I'm getting further into the season, I can definitely say he's worth trying in that role. But in fairness, I do love using the more obscure roles when possible and he may do just as well as an IF(A).

3 hours ago, Harryseaess said:

How are you seeing their PAs?

https://www.fmscout.com/a-football-manager-2021-wonderkids.html

Spoke to the owner/author before and he said although some can be massively innacurate, it's still an indication to being there or there abouts come "final ratings" but also depends on how they do in the saves- As nick said, most have minus PA's so its all dependant on how they are treated within game

Still, seeing so many of our youngsters quite high up is something to look forward to for those that like blending players in.

Will post an official PA rating if SI allow when they come out (usually gets colour co-ordinated)

1 minute ago, warlock said:

That had better be in spoiler tags.

I'll link the site, won't be me posting anything, although if people wanted to know i'd put it in spoilers/DM's anyways. I love the suspense and upbringing of success and failure, wouldn't be FM without it :thup:

1 minute ago, warlock said:

Good man :thup:. I hate the fact that PA can be discovered outside of the in-game tools (scouts, coaches, etc).

I'm the same, those stars and reports are my only indication and gives a bit of realism

The title of the thread is a bit generous considering the real life conditions...I would've used far more caustic language haha. But as usual thanks for starting this and I look forward to taking the club to higher heights.

A question about the club's vision / culture if signing English players, is it just preferred or compulsory?

6 minutes ago, lee82gx said:

The title of the thread is a bit generous considering the real life conditions...I would've used far more caustic language haha. But as usual thanks for starting this and I look forward to taking the club to higher heights.

A question about the club's vision / culture if signing English players, is it just preferred or compulsory?

Preferred. I signed two English players and they're delighted.

35 minutes ago, Juls317 said:

Preferred. I signed two English players and they're delighted.

Thanks, saw your signings. Along your methods, can we just sign English player for 1 or 2m and keep them happy?

I just also saw the budget at an eye watering amount of 52M GBP. Wow. Maybe we just ought to take on some loans too. Depressing real, really depressing. 

Finished my first season last night, finding the game really smooth, given it’s the beta I’m leaving the ultra realistic save for full release.

Managed to win the league(by a point) and the FA Cup double.

In terms of budget, adjusting the expectations to a top 4 finish and quarter finals of the CL should get you around £70m+. Also, once you’ve sold a few players you can move the wage budgets around a bit.

First season moves:

Transfers in - (upfront + instalments)

Jadon Sancho £80m (£55m + £25m)
Frank Kessie £32m (£20m + £12m)
Pau Torres £31m (£20m + £11m)
Jerome Onguene £15m (£8m + £7m)
Bernardeschi Loan

Out:

Rojo £8m
Lingard £10m
Matic £12m
Mata £6m
Romero £5m
TFM £5m
James loan
Tuanzebe loan
Cancelled Ighalo loan to save wages

In hindsight, you could probably do without Onguene and push the boat out for Ndidi over Kessie if you wanted.

Can also post up the coaches I’ve got in to give 4.5/5* training?

Well I finally got a couple of hours on the new beta last night and I’m hoping that the Gegenpress isn’t as OP as last year.

I did alright preseason with my 4-3-1-2, even beat Bayern 4-2 in my final preseason game then proceeded to draw 4 league games on the bounce and I won 2 cup games 1-0 each before changing to a 4-2-3-1 Gegenpress and battering Southampton 6-0.

I’m going to test out a 4-3-1-2 Gegenpress and see if that gets similar results 

8 hours ago, lee82gx said:

The title of the thread is a bit generous considering the real life conditions...I would've used far more caustic language haha

I was gonna put "Return of the jedi... i mean red devils" and then I thought this will look bad if we absolutely butcher our season :lol:

Preferred, as juls said :thup:

54 minutes ago, Zeonflux said:

Well I finally got a couple of hours on the new beta last night and I’m hoping that the Gegenpress isn’t as OP as last year.

It isnt cause I THINK there is "too many long balls" for a shorter passing/much shorter passing game so they bypass you a bit which is what you'd expect 

From the passing play the ME has on shorter passing you could probably tika-taka your way out of it, seen a few streams that are playing with it and get boasted by good passing or direct balls into the TM or wide players

1 hour ago, Chetsfmfan said:

Can also post up the coaches I’ve got in to give 4.5/5* training?

Are you asking or telling us about top end coaches? If you're asking then look here- 

I'm still in early august trying to sell Lingard (last year od contract and he is not good enough to stay or to play), Romero (same as Lingard and we have Henderson back from loan), Grant (to save 30k a week salary), cancel loan with Igalo (99k a week and we have Cavani to play old man in attack) and finally as usual f***ing Rojo. In last 4,5 FM the first thing that I do is selling Marcos Rojo.

I want to buy Ajer for around 15mil£ and maybe Garay and Willshere on free. Ajer can play DC and DM, Garay can be back up until Tuanzebe or Jones came out of injury (I left Mengi on loan) and Wilshere can be backup if I sell Matic/Fred or for the time Garner is on loan. Thinking of selling James also and to buy Nico Serrano from Bilbao, he was beast at FM20.

I usually don't do big business at the start of 1st season, I wait for january window and in first few months I have clearer picture who is good and where do I need new faces. Maybe one or two wonderkid whom I been scouting trough the august.

Playing 4-2-3-1 mainly because I need Bruno Fernades in first 11 and only position that suits for him is AMC.

9 hours ago, lee82gx said:

Thanks, saw your signings. Along your methods, can we just sign English player for 1 or 2m and keep them happy?

I just also saw the budget at an eye watering amount of 52M GBP. Wow. Maybe we just ought to take on some loans too. Depressing real, really depressing. 

I'm note entirely sure. They also want me to sign high profile players, though I'm disappointing them in that currently. But signing someone like Sancho may be the key to just making both of those work.

24 minutes ago, DaveMUFC said:

Seems like I'm the only who's not hit the jackpot with Shoretire and Hannibal? PA for Shola is 4/4.5 and only 3 for Hannibal. 

Although Kambwala is my best u18 prospect, 4.5 solid potential. 

Hannibal is only 4 for me, so still pretty good but not all out incredible, Kambwala is 5 and Shoretire is 4.5, all according to Paul Brand.

i'm pretty sure i couldn't cancel the loan for Ighalo? 

I bought Ndidi only so far. Diallo on the right wing coming janary looks really good. But how good is he?

I also kind of want to sell DeGea, he doesn't seem to justify his wages and Henderson is promising. But my standard FM GK Livakovic doesn't look quite as good as a replacement.

36 minutes ago, V3ntricity said:

I bought Ndidi only so far. Diallo on the right wing coming janary looks really good. But how good is he?

I also kind of want to sell DeGea, he doesn't seem to justify his wages and Henderson is promising. But my standard FM GK Livakovic doesn't look quite as good as a replacement.

Shouldn't have any trouble terminating the Ighalo loan, you were trying to do it during the transfer window right?

I too am tempted to sell De Gea, especially as on my game Donnarumma is refusing to sign a new deal at Milan.

1 hour ago, V3ntricity said:

Diallo has been absolutely fantastic for me since joining in January, even at the Premier League level. 3 goals and an assis in 8 matches between the league and FA Cup.

37 minutes ago, Makaveli_Thadon said:

Shouldn't have any trouble terminating the Ighalo loan, you were trying to do it during the transfer window right?

I too am tempted to sell De Gea, especially as on my game Donnarumma is refusing to sign a new deal at Milan.

I ended up signing Donna...as a cup goalkeeper...pretty sure he's a bit bugged currently.

Youth prospects this time look pretty special. I'm tempted to sell DDG in the second season (especially since I can pick up Donnarumma on a free in January). I don't know how difficult it would be to offload DDG with his wages, though. Let's see.

In terms of transfers, I sold Lingard, Rojo, Romero and Matic. I play a 4-2-4, so brought in Sancho and Skriniar in the first window. Have about 30 Mn left over, considering a striker. Really, really want Dybala in my second season, dunno if I can afford him.

3 of my front 4 for the first team are pretty set, I think in Martial, Rashford and Sancho. And I have Greenwood, James and Pellistri backing them up (with Diallo to come in January). I'm sorted there. But considering Mata's contract is expiring (and I'm undecided about Cavani) - any thoughts on a striker to get in? Mainly playing a DLF, but I generally opt for a Trequarista or a F9 there (Fekir is an option, so is Pedri outside of Dybala).

4 hours ago, milan_manutd said:

Playing 4-2-3-1 mainly because I need Bruno Fernades in first 11 and only position that suits for him is AMC

Bruno can easily play in cm in a 3. He was excellent as a mezzala on fm20, and probably what I will use him as when I get my Man Utd save started.

15 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

Bruno can easily play in cm in a 3. He was excellent as a mezzala on fm20, and probably what I will use him as when I get my Man Utd save started.

Yes but where to pout Pogba in 3 in middle? Guess you think 1 DM and 2 CM?

In FM 20, for me, Pogba was the best as MEZZ and Bruno as AMC (AM). And next to Pogba McTominay as B2B. That was my best combo and I also have F.Luis, Tonali and late Camavinga. 

Anyway thanks for advice I will try in friendly games.

20 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

He could probably be a good right winger to, good on the ball, amazing crossing and high work rate

I'm pretty firmly of the opinion that Bruno should be at the attacking mid spot as well. It puts him in a better position on the field to play make and score from. But I'm also generally unimpressed with Pogba and usually sell him on so I may just have a different mindset.

2 minutes ago, Juls317 said:

I'm pretty firmly of the opinion that Bruno should be at the attacking mid spot as well. It puts him in a better position on the field to play make and score from. But I'm also generally unimpressed with Pogba and usually sell him on so I may just have a different mindset.

In my FM20 save Angel Gomes was very promising so I want to keep fluidity of tactics with AMC or the number 10 position.

38 minutes ago, Juls317 said:

Playing as an 8 and in the mezzala role puts him in just as good positions. On my fm20 save he got over 15 goals and regularly over 20 assists.

I think he can be great as a 10 or an 8.

I however agree that Pogba will be sold on mine as well.

Martial is a beast in this game. Late november of first season and he scored 3 hat-tricks playing as Advanced Forward. I'm using 4231 and 433 based on vertical tiki-taka. Total of 13 goals for the frenchman. Cavani has 7 goals as rotation option.

4231 sometimes with Bruno as AMR - Advanced Playmaker and Beek as AMC - Enganche/Advanced midfielder changing positions since Greenwood picked an injury (7 weeks out, returning on early december). Mata came as rotation with the duo. 

I'm looking for Max Aarons as a offensive option for Wan-Bissaka and don't decided yet about a CB, a DM and one offensive option (maybe Sancho or Grealish). 

Edited by Joao Arq

41 minutes ago, milan_manutd said:

Does anyone have problem with transfer offers when other clubs keep on delaying offers (stall offer) over and over again?

Yeah I have had a couple of things like this. Selling Fosu-Mensah to Burnley and he accepted the contract offer and then nothing happened for over a month until the window closed and the deal was cancelled. Also with Szoboszlai, got to the work permit stage and nothing happened for a month with it again being cancelled when the window closed.

Of course Pogba is refusing to sign a new contract but is furious that I would try to sell him. But he's been flirting with Madrid for months.

Edited by Juls317