[FM21] Manchester United: A club stuck in transition

BigV

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Season 1 over mission accomplished, my reserves won the League cup and we lost in the semi finals of the Champions League, Major injuries to Pogba, Bruno and Greenwood (Hopefully injuries are more realistic in this FM).

Signings None

Deadwood out Fuso-Mensah £5.5m, Romero £3.8m, Rojo £15.75m, Mata £7m,  Lingard £23m, Jones £9.5m.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.7977d59113003902c66ad6e9228f2e2e.jpg

Best players

1.jpg.818093ae5e1ace176ed523699ea68146.jpg

My tactic

Spoiler

t.jpg.6eb533d3ecbb1f30b3b7ac26ef9e867c.jpg

Next season goal is getting Klopp sacked, maybe two first team signings and get rid of the rest of the deadwood.

2 hours ago, DominicForza said:

I have NOT used it, but he may mean this --- >>>>  

Yeah, plus she has more of them also. I'm happy to include ones that don't really mess with the core of the game like the derbies, weather etc but a bit reluctant to use the transfer preferences, youth rating and injuries files etc.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

11 hours ago, Sherkey said:

Anyone tried to get in Chris Mepham? I'm close to finishing up my first year and plan to sell Lindelof and Jones. I wanted to get in Kimpembe as my left sided CB, but too expensive. While Mepham is right footed, he still seems pretty good and Homegrown. Only thing is he is shown at Championship quality, but his attributes are at PL level. Available for about 30 Mn $ on 78k wages.

image.thumb.png.954c42a5b01fbb08492398939aa37a6c.png

No, he actually looks quite good. Personally wouldn't go for him because his pace is on the lower side for me, but if you're happy, he looks a good buy.

Took a break from my United save to play around with some others for a little while (if you haven't done a Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge, I highly recommend it). Came back and forgot how incredible Charlie McNeill has turned out in this save, kind of randomly really. Playing him mostly on the RW but he fills in at AM and ST when needed. 7 goal contributions in 15 in the league but 10 in 3 matches in the FA Cup. Really pleased with him.

McNeill.thumb.PNG.fdb32a002ee3d742fc2afd66cba7624e.PNG

9 minutes ago, Juls317 said:

Took a break from my United save to play around with some others for a little while (if you haven't done a Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge, I highly recommend it). Came back and forgot how incredible Charlie McNeill has turned out in this save, kind of randomly really. Playing him mostly on the RW but he fills in at AM and ST when needed. 7 goal contributions in 15 in the league but 10 in 3 matches in the FA Cup. Really pleased with him.

McNeill.thumb.PNG.fdb32a002ee3d742fc2afd66cba7624e.PNG

Wow he's actually pretty decent.

7 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Wow he's actually pretty decent.

Yeah I was really surprised, but pleasantly so. I brought in a fantastic wonderkid to play RW and he's just completely outperformed by McNeill right now.

On 17/12/2020 at 03:23, Sherkey said:

Anyone tried to get in Chris Mepham? I'm close to finishing up my first year and plan to sell Lindelof and Jones. I wanted to get in Kimpembe as my left sided CB, but too expensive. While Mepham is right footed, he still seems pretty good and Homegrown. Only thing is he is shown at Championship quality, but his attributes are at PL level. Available for about 30 Mn $ on 78k wages.

image.thumb.png.954c42a5b01fbb08492398939aa37a6c.png

I'm on my 3rd season with Bournemouth, he's been a key player for me since the start and has better attributes than he does in your screenshot. So yea there's room for development and could be a great player for you imo

I am just about to finish my first season with Man Utd. Won the league with six games to spare, but got knocked out of the Champions League in the first knockout round. So one good and one bad.
The major surprise for me has been Anthony Martial. I play him as an AF, and he has been unstoppable all season. 42 goals in all competitions, of which 39 have come in the Premier League, with 5 games to go. It's not entirely unthinkable that he will make it to 45 goals! Unbelievable! :D 

20201218161025_1.jpg

Martial 39.jpg

Ok so Pogba is unhappy but I will be stupidest man on planet if I sell him for this bid. Real Madrid also, 55mil£ top bid.

On the other hand AWB wanted new contract and I offer him 125k per week but after few weeks he is unhappy and want to left the club. Offers is around 50mil, but I want let him without at least 70mil. I don't want sell him but no one is bigger than the club and no one is unreplacable . It's so frustrating that I won 6 trophy in 1 year at the club and their is problems in "squad harmony" .

pogba .jpg

AWB.jpg

2 hours ago, milan_manutd said:

Ok so Pogba is unhappy but I will be stupidest man on planet if I sell him for this bid. Real Madrid also, 55mil£ top bid.

On the other hand AWB wanted new contract and I offer him 125k per week but after few weeks he is unhappy and want to left the club. Offers is around 50mil, but I want let him without at least 70mil. I don't want sell him but no one is bigger than the club and no one is unreplacable . It's so frustrating that I won 6 trophy in 1 year at the club and their is problems in "squad harmony" .

pogba .jpg

AWB.jpg

You can always promote Williams to the first team spot in his place. I like AWB this year, but he's nor irreplaceable really, and like you said, no one is bigger than the club.

So 2nd season is going well so far, we are flying in the league. 14 games in top by 4 points and haven't lost.

However the champs league has been abit of a shambles, we have done just enough to keep ourselves in it going into the last game. This is how the group is looking going into the final game.

1341035767_champsleaguegroups2.thumb.png.63922934ec2d5b86fb10410a20d18b21.png

As it goes on the head to head, I have no idea what will happen if Bayern and ourselves both win the final game.

3 hours ago, milan_manutd said:

pogba .jpg

AWB.jpg

Have sold Pogba for around 60m. 1 year left on his contract and no regrets.

AWB is getting a bit annoying, but I've managed to shut him up for now. Ricardo Pereira is a great current option and Lamptey would be great for the future.

As for Pogba, I'm currently hoping I can persuade Odegaard to make the move for 100m.

Well we did it.

1041086928_champsgroups2.thumb.png.21930e979b4fb85221d61e2a227a0df8.png

We smashed Brugge and paid them back for beating us in the 1st game. Bruno ran the show with a goal and 3 assists.

Bayern who won the champs league in season 1 to win back to back, finished bottom of the group and are out of europe all together.

On Bruno he is having an insanely good season so far.

1739491912_brunos2.thumb.png.df12f7ecec101534568e410a6c427095.png

On 13/12/2020 at 09:43, sedge11 said:

I weren't complaining it was easy, I was responding to someone, I know with Man utd it's never going to be massively difficult. But there is still some challenge which I like, I've just finished my 1st season (for a 2nd time) and didn't win the league, as Liverpool only lost 1 all season.

I wasn't referring to you complaining I mean the ones that have said it's too easy lol 

13 hours ago, duvels said:

I hate it when you're in the final stretch of the season and a big update is released.

Well, I'm parking this game until the next patch. I don't want to completely alter my tactics again after first struggling in the previous ME, finally getting them to play like I want, to now having to start all over again after apparently my tactics are useless now. Especially now being in the final stretch of the season, changing tactics ruins tactical familiarty completely, so you have no chance against an AI who looks like they have full TF from the get go.

edit: to have an idea: I gave that game a try with several tactical setups. Mané (1m75, jumping reach 11) has beaten Maguire (1m94, jumping reach 16) and Nuno Mendes (1m86, jumping reach 14) for a headed goal and beaten Haaland (1m94, jumping reach 16) for a headed clearance in the small box in 3 games.

Edited by duvels

13 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I notice Lazio are doing well in multiple saves from various people. Are they maybe OP in this game? Just like Spurs are underrated.

They did quite well irl to so it's probably fair enough, for a long time last season it seemed like they would challenge for the title prior to lockdown 

I see that people going for Nuno Mendes (Sporting) for DL. In RL my favorite club in Italy is Roma and they have one talented DL Riccardo Calafiori. At the end of first season he is transfer listed and I get him for only 4mil£ (valued 14mil after signing). Take a look, there is not to many difference between two of them.

Chelsea biding him on 31mil at the transfer deadline day in my save.

calla.jpg

Season 2

Failure, We won the league but Klopp still at Liverpool and beat me in the Champions League final :mad:

2.jpg.1eea27e1b273fc634f3d0579dfe81203.jpg

Players bought

Fati £70m, Camavinga £65m

Deadwood out

Fred to Arsenal £20m, Matic to Napoli £14m, Chong to Dl pro £8.25m, Pereira to Shakhtar  £25m, Dalot to RB Leipzig  £15m, Levitt to Reims £9.25m

Best players 

1.jpg.21257012b153fbe53700f1d9df5c0cdf.jpg

The future is to keep tinkering with my tactic and getting Klopp sacked.

Who stays?  De Gea or Henderson,  Laird or Williams.

14 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

How on earth have you managed that? :eek: What's your tactic look like? :lol:

He is mostly playing as an AF. Occasionally IF(left) or CF. He has been lethal either way, even scored a few from the right side, filling in late in matches. 

The tactic is a somewhat generic 4-2-3-1 wide. Occasionally a cautious 4-3-3 with emphasis on ball retention. 

I haven't got any explanation to how Martial is THAT lethal. It's gonna be interesting to see how he gets going in the second season. 

24 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

Maguire with 16 goals, I find it madness you got more goals out of Maguire than Bruno lol.

It was a strange one, Maguire only scored in about 7 or 8 games but when he did score it was always 2 goals apart from one hatrick .

On 19/12/2020 at 00:25, Juls317 said:

Had no real thoughts of selling Garner but this offer came out of nowhere and is quite good, wow

garner.PNG.1171bc1d732c3521eca4ed7b18ff8623.PNG

In FM20 I got a huge offer (not THAT huge) for Garner from Arsenal.  I turned it down just cuz it didnt "feel right" to me...unrealistic.   Of course that never stopped me from scooping up players for ridiculously low fees.   So...no judgement, it's your game and all that.  

7 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Yeah I would imagine there will be no space in behind 2nd season. I would be surprised if he scored that much 2nd season.

Yeah, I predict that you will be correct. Though, if he can be half as effective, he'll still be a great striker. 😁

57 minutes ago, Plektrum said:

Yeah, I predict that you will be correct. Though, if he can be half as effective, he'll still be a great striker. 😁

My plan for the 1st season is to use him as a CF (A) at home and AF away. I will be playing with a high LOE so I feel AF will only work in away games for me.

I did say that I wasn't sure whether to use my own tactic or someone else's. In the end I've decided to go with my own as I can't bring myself to use another person's tactic. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with people using tactics that aren't their own, but it's just a personal choice.

I'll finally start my save tomorrow! :D

On 20/12/2020 at 09:56, DominicForza said:

In FM20 I got a huge offer (not THAT huge) for Garner from Arsenal.  I turned it down just cuz it didnt "feel right" to me...unrealistic.   Of course that never stopped me from scooping up players for ridiculously low fees.   So...no judgement, it's your game and all that.  

I wouldn't sell him within the league, for sure. I countered with a bigger offer, can't remember the price, and they withdrew so he stays.

Giving some thought to the idea of restarting my United save and adding in some limitations for myself. I always tend to go a bit too wide with my regen net and scoop up a bunch of players that I never really do anything with, or that just overpacks the team, so I might go again but with an X net number of transfers kind of rule.

So season 2 is now done, could we win a trophy.

With 2 games left in the league we were 5 points ahead of Liverpool. We play Liverpool knowing a draw means we clinch the title at Anfield.

953023006_liverpoolloss.png.c7f81674e4432b190beebc1b11859a66.png

Well it couldn't of gone much worse, lost 3-0 and had 2 players sent off.

So it meant we went into the final day looking like this.

335662187_finaldays2.thumb.png.ddb0e39f5189d02e6e3aebddcd667227.png

With Liverpool winning the title in season 1, it meant the winner would win their 21st league title and be the most successful club in the league again.

We had spurs, whilst Liverpool had Forest. Could we do it ................................

1925938969_premchampionss2.thumb.png.12cafe6e443e062cc812e3a56c9be4fe.png

Yes we could a fairly comfortable 2-0 win won us the title.

1633068917_leagues2.thumb.png.157d55ce652902d2de26751a4eedb352.png

Bruno cleaned up with the awards, winning players player and footballer of the year.

De Gea also won the golden glove.

We then had an fa cup final to play to finish the season off.

1036013701_facupwins2.thumb.png.b89c7e8d55294977159d50f8a5c16dbc.png

Victory with the future Sir Marcus Rashford getting the winner, and completing the double.

A very good 2nd season winning a league and fa cup double.

Champs league we eventually went out in the semi final, annoyingly Liverpool won it.

Carabao cup we went out early, and Wolves ending up winning.

The season stats.

1011014925_playerstatss2.thumb.png.6760f29a25300a9a8ae9702c5070da3f.png

The average ratings were quite low really, but that might of been because of our struggles in europe.

But just look at Bruno, 23 goals 23 assists, an incredible season and our captain lead us to success. Rashford was the overall top scorer and had a very good season.

Martial after a dreadful 1st season stepped up and did well. Niklas Sule was the best of the new signings and improved our defense massively.

Now onto season 3 and the summer window.

I want a proper left footed cb, I may go back in for Torres but Badiashile has developed quite well so I may go for him instead.

I will also look for a new right back. Laird has done well as a back up but he just hasn't really developed, and AWB didn't really have a good season.

On the outs, Fred wants to leave, I like him but Nididi and Mctominay are in front of him. With signing a new cb then I will probably look to sell Maguire and maybe Tuanzebe.

When they plan to change number of substitutes?

After last update I lose game against Wolves it was 3:1 for me after 45min and in stoppage time they score twice. And then FT was 6:4 :ph34r:
So after 0:2 against Benfica that cost me going in KO stage of Champions League. In Carabao Cup Bournemouth win 1:0 even though I played with first team. Still first in PL, but find so hard to decide first 11. Pogba situation (declare to goo on free in the summer) is one more knife above my head.

Just can't settle in second season.

17 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

Do you mean the 3 subs to 5 subs?

That would only be for the 1st season, plus the prem hasn’t approved it so doubt they will change it.

I meant number of players on the bench.

Today watching game vs Leicester and see 9 players on the bench, in UEFA CL that rule is a long years ago.

So I got FM for xmas and was wondering if they had any major changes in the ME or United side of attributes/future players etc. ?

Having played the demo a bit I enjoyed it but im finding no time to play the full version whatsoever but I realllyyyyyy need to dig my heels into this one cause its the last i've enjoyed since 17.

Season one finished. Not a bad league performance really but also very disappointing to miss out on the title by a single point to our bitter rivals Liverpool. 

image.thumb.png.74c0a617e380eb429919cf7438982161.png

Equally disappointing was the FA Cup final, which we also lost to Liverpool in a match in which we were decisively outplayed. 

image.thumb.png.bbb314bbe7909e2b5ead45606bef6921.png

There was, however, a huge consolation prize to be found in the Champions League. We managed to lift Big Ears for the fourth time following a penalty shoot-out victory over Dortmund in the final: 

image.thumb.png.f33f9729f2ccfc19c7e0616ff9ce8f26.png

In our only other tournament, the Carabao Cup, we were defeated in the quarter finals by Southampton at St. Mary's. 

In terms of first season transfers, I made two additions to my squad in the shape of the versatile French winger Florian Thauvin and the young Polish centre back Sebastian Walukiewicz:

image.png.2371b133391b930cfc7e1946de4eebab.png

I also managed to get a number of unwanted players out the door throughout the course of the season, to the extent that the deadwood in my squad has now largely been cleared: 

image.png.08e253926eb075cfde5072483f97ed19.png

image.png.65b99c2fc7b3f401b9f5beba012a8e44.png

The performance charts below show that left-back Alex Telles was the standout star of this season, with an extremely impressive five goals and eleven assits from full back. Also impressive were veteran striker Edinson Cavani, who bagged himself 24 goals across all competitions, and Mason Greenwood, our top scorer with 25 in all competitions including 21 goals in the Premier League which took him past Wayne Rooney and into third in the all-time highest scoring Premier League teenagers ranking. 

Another impressive aspect with the squad this year has been the success with which young players have performed when given chances in the side. A number of academy prospects were given debuts this season, with some especially notable performances including a strong showing from Teden Mengi at right-back in a 2-1 win at Old Trafford in the league against Manchester City, and a late goal from 17 year-old Joe Hugill in a staggering 4-0 away win in the first leg of our Champions League semi-final, which was also against City. 

image.thumb.png.986a3aff4c352a2248ed5559cf2a983c.png

image.thumb.png.69eb4f33bc7359056c490ed8b77703c1.png

image.thumb.png.4a75e2f493374157441e2810eeae4bc4.png

All in all, I'd say I'm happy with how the season went. It was bitterly disappointing to lose the league by such a small margin, but our points total was very solid and this was matched by a generally high level of performance. 

A new defensive midfielder is a priority next summer. What more may or may not come is going to heavily depend on whether I receive any good offers for players in my squad, but I'm hoping by the end of the summer I have a squad capable of going one better in the Premier League and making it to number 21 before Liverpool do!