New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, DanDanDanDan said:

Hello,

Just a quick question if anyone can help, would it be possible for me to play FM2020 using my current laptop?  

Windows 10
Intel Pentium CPU N3540 @ 2.16 GHz
4.00GB
Intel R HD Graphics

Thanks, 

Dan.

It will struggle to run it acceptably I think.

I mean, it will load and all but the processing will be extremely slow and it will likely struggle with the 3D match engine so you'll either need to turn the graphics quality settings right down or play in 2D.

9 minutes ago, DanDanDanDan said:

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply.  I am happy to play in 2D, I guess all I can do is try it and see how it goes.

I mean, give it a go.  It will run the game, but that's not a strong CPU and is a smidge below the recommended clock speed, so the processing will almost certainly chug a bit.

On 27/10/2019 at 23:23, EdL said:

Does seem a bit of an odd to have such a low base frequency, it all depends on how much it throttles under load. I would *imagine* it will be fine though.

@EdL would the UHD graphic card be ok as well?

• SI Staff
10 hours ago, zakbrown96 said:

@EdL would the UHD graphic card be ok as well?

It will work, you are not going to ever get the best out of integrated, but I'd expect medium at least to work from a modern integrated card.

Hi been reading through this very informative and helpful thread -looking to get FM20 after a few years in the wilderness of it all so need a new laptop.

Budget is £600 absolute max but would rather not spend that just to play one game! I am only buying the laptop to play FM20, nothing else at all. Used to run maybe 4 countries and all leagues and med to large database. Tried to research it as best as I could myself but I find it a minefield of choice.

I wondered your thoughts on this? Processor speed of 2.1 Ghz up to 3.9- not sure what this means or how it achieves this but anyway....

https://www.box.co.uk/NX.EFREK.014-Acer-Extensa-15_2612001.html

Cheers

Ben

46 minutes ago, Bobby_Baggio said:

Hi been reading through this very informative and helpful thread -looking to get FM20 after a few years in the wilderness of it all so need a new laptop.

Budget is £600 absolute max but would rather not spend that just to play one game! I am only buying the laptop to play FM20, nothing else at all. Used to run maybe 4 countries and all leagues and med to large database. Tried to research it as best as I could myself but I find it a minefield of choice.

I wondered your thoughts on this? Processor speed of 2.1 Ghz up to 3.9- not sure what this means or how it achieves this but anyway....

https://www.box.co.uk/NX.EFREK.014-Acer-Extensa-15_2612001.html

Cheers

Ben

That would be ok, but for a small increase in price (£10 approx), this one is actually better:

https://www.box.co.uk/7DC73EAABU-HP-255-G7_2580199.html

My own laptop has that same processor, and it runs FM pretty quickly and the integrated graphics will be better than on the intel.

First off - love the community here

My current PC is this -

Motherboard –Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Socket AM3+ 8 Channel HD Audio mATX

CPU –AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz Socket AM3+ 14MB Cache 

GPU –MSI GTX 750 GAMING 1GB GDDR5 VGA 

PSU -Corsair RM 550W Fully Modular 80+ 

RAM - 8gb Corsair LPX (not sure of the speed, I think its 1600hz)

I built this 5 years ago, I feel the time is right for an upgrade and I've pre-order FM20. I've been considering the 2700x as I'm hoping with Black Friday coming up it will fall under £150. However after looking at the CPU Benchmarks  from the 1st post, the 2700x gets it ass kicked in single threaded performance. So my question is this - am I best off going for the 3600? The 3600 is roughly £180 and scores 2,813. The 2700x is (currently) £170 and scores 2,185. 

That to me seems like a big difference for only a £10 price difference - am I missing something?

I like to load alot of leagues with a large database. I don't watch matches in 3D but I do like to go 5-10+ seasons in. I'm currently playing as Norwich City FC on FM19, in 2024 and I've noticed a big slow down in terms of how long the game takes to save, and progress on from one day to the next. FM is pretty much the only game I play, I'm not anticipating playing any current AAA games but I might play some that are a few years old (BIO Shock for example)

Advice would be appreciated.

9 hours ago, kevhamster said:

That would be ok, but for a small increase in price (£10 approx), this one is actually better:

https://www.box.co.uk/7DC73EAABU-HP-255-G7_2580199.html

My own laptop has that same processor, and it runs FM pretty quickly and the integrated graphics will be better than on the intel.

Thanks so much Kev, great shout. That'll do me rightly.

Hi guys, this thread has been amazingly helpful in finding a potential new laptop. The links at the start to the sites which compare Graphics Cards and Processors is also a great help.

Following recommendations on here I have narrowed by search for a new laptop (circa £600) to the two below. (Also for context I like to run up to 10  leagues with a large database - and would like to be able to play with at least Medium level 3D graphics. )

Both are HP Pavilions with similar builds, both have same amount of RAM (8GB) and Hard Drive size (1TB)  ... Laptop A has slightly better performing Graphics Card (according to the comparison site 127th vs 147th) it also has a better processor (according to the comparison site 65th vs 74th).

The only thing I can see that is better on Laptop B is the "Hard Drive Speed" which is 7200RPM and only 5400RPM for Laptop A. Does this really make much difference? Presumably not enough difference to make Laptop B a better purchase than Laptop A? 

A) https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1690000 

B) https://www.box.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-15-cx0999na_2485084.html

Thanks for any help you can give on this!

The one at Argos would likely be the better bet - the HDD is a bit slower, but it's got a 9th gen i5, whereas the other is 8th gen with a slower base clock speed.
So, purely for FM, the Argos one will be the better performer due to the different CPU.

Not sure how much of a difference the HDD speed will make to the overall performance though.

7 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

The one at Argos would likely be the better bet - the HDD is a bit slower, but it's got a 9th gen i5, whereas the other is 8th gen with a slower base clock speed.
So, purely for FM, the Argos one will be the better performer due to the different CPU.

Not sure how much of a difference the HDD speed will make to the overall performance though.

Cheers mate. I figured that would be the case.

I am of course also open to any other suggestions at around the same point.... cant beat a bit of Argos action though for convenience!

Edited by improvox
typo

2 minutes ago, improvox said:

Cheers mare. I figured that would be the case.

I am of course also open to any other suggestions at around the same point.... cant beat a bit of Argos action though for convenience!

Also, if you don't mind buying a refurb model, Laptop Station have some excellent deals.  Microsoft certified refurbisher, 12 month warranty.

And I don't work for them, but I have bought 2 separate laptops from them over the last couple of years.

Just now, kevhamster said:

Also, if you don't mind buying a refurb model, Laptop Station have some excellent deals.  Microsoft certified refurbisher, 12 month warranty.

And I don't work for them, but I have bought 2 separate laptops from them over the last couple of years.

Cheers will have a look. 

Sorry to piggy-back onto this, but I have a MacBook and play FM on it (it's my main general laptop). I'm looking to buy a PC too, primarily for working from home, but I like the option of playing FM on it too. So the question is, if I play a game on my laptop, can I also play it on a second machine? I have Steam but always thought the games were saved locally, but in the cloud. Is there an easy way to access FM games over two machines? Cheers. 

25 minutes ago, dothestrand said:

Sorry to piggy-back onto this, but I have a MacBook and play FM on it (it's my main general laptop). I'm looking to buy a PC too, primarily for working from home, but I like the option of playing FM on it too. So the question is, if I play a game on my laptop, can I also play it on a second machine? I have Steam but always thought the games were saved locally, but in the cloud. Is there an easy way to access FM games over two machines? Cheers. 

If you use Steam Cloud, yes you can with two Windows machines, not sure about Apple. Select cloud save rather than local saves. 

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone can help me find a decent enough laptop for FM20 as my 10 year old MacBook Pro has had it now.

Basically want a decent, compact laptop that will be easy for me to travel with but will stay play it at a decent level. Budget is around £350-400.

Hi all, 

Not tech savvy at all, can the graphics card on a laptop be upgraded or changed ? 

I bought a new laptop for FM19, it was an Asus and was a recommendation from the forum here. It ran FM19 perfectly. 

Have downloaded FM20, runs very fast however when it comes to the avatars, match day ( I.e the pitch on 2d and 3d it’s very blurry and I’m assuming down to the graphics card) 

just thought I would have gotten more out of the laptop than one FM :( 

thanks in advance 

3 dakika önce, sirj09 said:

Has the spec for Fm20 been unveiled yet? 

• Requires 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Operating System: Windows 7 (SP1), 8 / 8.1, 10 (Update 1803 / April 2018 or later) - 64-bit
  • Processor: Intel Pentium 4 (64-bit), Intel Core 2 or AMD Athlon 64 - 2.2 GHz +
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Intel GMA X4500, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or AMD / ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 - 256MB VRAM
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Storage: 7 GB available space

17 hours ago, kevhamster said:

I think I would go with 8th gen and SSD than 9th gen HDD. Hdd is just so much slower in any aspects. Loading times will be faster and the biggest thing is that your own usabilty wih laptop will be much faster and better with SSD. So additionaly you will get much smoother and better experienve in overall usage of laptop with SSD.

Edit:
Gave a quick look in your UK shops shown here. Damn things are pricey and hard to find good one around 500£. If there is good place for second hand laptops in your regionI would try to find something.

Edited by saihtam

10 minutes ago, saihtam said:

I think I would go with 8th gen and SSD than 9th gen HDD. Hdd is just so much slower in any aspects. Loading times will be faster and the biggest thing is that your own usabilty wih laptop will be much faster and better with SSD. So additionaly you will get much smoother and better experienve in overall usage of laptop with SSD.

It doesn't have a SSD, it's a faster running HDD. Runs at 7200rpm compared to 5900rpm on the other one. 

This is how it's described :

Solid State Drive No SSD Storage Included
Hard Drive 1000GB (7200RPM) + 16GB Intel Optane

23 minutes ago, improvox said:

It doesn't have a SSD, it's a faster running HDD. Runs at 7200rpm compared to 5900rpm on the other one. 

This is how it's described :

Solid State Drive No SSD Storage Included
Hard Drive 1000GB (7200RPM) + 16GB Intel Optane

This is confusing for people (not the post) but this 16gb Intel Optane that is purported by a lot of sites.

The intel optane acts like an SSD - it can store items needed for quick access by the hard drive - it's basically a faux SSD.

It has nothing to do with Physical RAM - that is completetly separate.

Where Intel Optane RAM can speed up storage and access to the hard drive - it won't have any affect for FM.

15 minutes ago, Smurf said:

This is confusing for people (not the post) but this 16gb Intel Optane that is purported by a lot of sites.

The intel optane acts like an SSD - it can store items needed for quick access by the hard drive - it's basically a faux SSD.

It has nothing to do with Physical RAM - that is completetly separate.

Where Intel Optane RAM can speed up storage and access to the hard drive - it won't have any affect for FM.

Great @Smurf than you for the clarification, and thanks for all the recommendations you have made in this thread. 

Unless I can find something better for the price over the weekend I'm going to go for the HP that you have recommended at Argos (https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1690000) . Seems like it will run the game well and the graphics card will be decent for 3d matches. 

Thanks again 

12 hours ago, darren1589 said:

Hi all, 

Not tech savvy at all, can the graphics card on a laptop be upgraded or changed ? 

I bought a new laptop for FM19, it was an Asus and was a recommendation from the forum here. It ran FM19 perfectly. 

Have downloaded FM20, runs very fast however when it comes to the avatars, match day ( I.e the pitch on 2d and 3d it’s very blurry and I’m assuming down to the graphics card) 

just thought I would have gotten more out of the laptop than one FM :( 

thanks in advance 

If you post what the specs for your laptop are first, we can help look and see if it would be the graphics or not.

54 minutes ago, Boss said:

Would this run fm20 at a decent speed?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1353330

Processor wise - it ticks the boxes as a low end processor
4gb RAM is not enough
No graphics card - don't expect great things in the 3d match engine or even 2d.

It boils down to for speed
1) Processor you have (and this one is low end)

2) The amount of leagues loaded and the database size (more leagues loaded and larger databases require more processing)

The equation is simple

- low end - run minimum number of leagues you can and keep to a small database to maximise speed.

If load a lot of leagues with a large database - don't expect it to sprint to to finish.

2 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

If you post what the specs for your laptop are first, we can help look and see if it would be the graphics or not.

Asus VivoBook Pro 15 N580GD-DM230T, Intel Core i7-8750H Hexa-Core Processor, 15.6" Full HD Screen, Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1000GB HDD, Dedicated GeForce GTX 1050 4GB Graphics, USB3 | HDMI | Bluetooth, N580GD-DM230T

that help mate ? 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Had a look through this thread and seen

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8631622 this acer one myself or 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1690000 

The hp one been recommended. 

Any idea which one to go for 

I'd go with HP one.

They're much the same though - very slight upgrade in the processor on the HP. But the Acer has a very slight upgrade on the graphics card.

It's much of a muchness. Cheaper one if you're looking to save a bit.

1 hour ago, Craigcoleoasis said:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1997648

Sorry to ask again but what about this!

You can keep bouncing around asking which link is best and what not - 

It would be best if you told us what your actual budget is and I can take a look at the best within your budget.

51 minutes ago, sirj09 said:

Just about ok - @Craigcoleoasis have a look at that one

33 minutes ago, darren1589 said:

Asus VivoBook Pro 15 N580GD-DM230T, Intel Core i7-8750H Hexa-Core Processor, 15.6" Full HD Screen, Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 1000GB HDD, Dedicated GeForce GTX 1050 4GB Graphics, USB3 | HDMI | Bluetooth, N580GD-DM230T

that help mate ? 

Yep - good to go

17 hours ago, Boss said:

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone can help me find a decent enough laptop for FM20 as my 10 year old MacBook Pro has had it now.

Basically want a decent, compact laptop that will be easy for me to travel with but will stay play it at a decent level. Budget is around £350-400.

If you don't mind going for a refurb model, and using Windows, this will run FM very nicely. 

https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/product/14dk0011na/

Hi all - computer novice in dire need of an upgrade. 

Am hoping to run say 15-20 playable leagues with a large database and am willing to spend up to about £700. I'm keen to have it run quite quickly.

Would this be any good? https://www.ebuyer.com/875172-hp-250-g7-core-i7-laptop-intel-core-i7-8565u-1-8ghz-8gb-ddr4-6bp88ea-abu

Or are there others in that price range you'd recommend? 

Much, much appreciated

On 30/10/2019 at 22:37, EdL said:

It will work, you are not going to ever get the best out of integrated, but I'd expect medium at least to work from a modern integrated card.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/microsoft-15-amd-ryzen-5-surface-laptop-3-128-gb-ssd-platinum-10199639-pdt.html Would this be better wanting one that’s between 13 and 15 inch max my graphic cards gone for this game On old one! Budget of around £1200 @EdL rather ask you and @Smurf as you two know way more than me and obviously @EdL will have used one I imagine for internal testing  

50 minutes ago, darren1589 said:

i haven't yet mate no, does it make a difference if i do it through the asus site or this one ?

https://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers

Use the GeForce site - if necessary get on to their support, I had to do this for LA Noire and they gave me a graphics driver that was not avialable for normal download - they are really good.

19 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Use the GeForce site - if necessary get on to their support, I had to do this for LA Noire and they gave me a graphics driver that was not avialable for normal download - they are really good.

first time i have had to do this as only game i play is FM, woudl they charge me for that id assume and if so do you know roughly how much ?

from the specs i gave you too, do you think they should have been good enough graphics wise for this fm ?

thanks