New Laptop/PC Advice -Please Read the Opening Post

15 hours ago, Mbh90 said:

I’m not bothered about 3d.. I looked at 3 laptops,all three have 8gb ram and GTX1050 graphics one of those had i5-8300h processor and the other two have the i5-9300h processor. I chose the one with i5-9300h processor and ssd for faster loading times 

You don't get faster loading times. 

All in in all the i5-9300h is a step up from the i5-8300h. 

You can always add more RAM to bring it up to 16gb.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Smurf said:

You don't get faster loading times. 

All in in all the i5-9300h is a step up from the i5-8300h. 

You can always add more RAM to bring it up to 16gb.

Oh I thought I read that somewhere here lol

Is it just a case of removing old one and fitting new one plug and play? 

1 hour ago, Mbh90 said:

Oh I thought I read that somewhere here lol

Is it just a case of removing old one and fitting new one plug and play? 

Absolutely - you can even do a computer Scan using Crucial or something like that and it will tell you exactly what type of RAM to get.

All I mean by the SSD is don't worry about that if you're on a low budget - the processor is king for FM. If you play 3D graphics then a mediocre one will do.

The 2 key components you can change are RAM and Hard Drive.

What you can't change is the processor and the graphics card. 

The processor is the most important thing, and a graphics card - the rest can be changed at a later date.

44 minutes ago, mistuhg said:

Hi I'm looking for a new laptop that can handle 125k players (Or preferably 135k) for long journeyman saves.

I have £900 but can push this out to £1200 if the increase in performance is worth it. 

That's a big budget for that kind of database... depends on how many leagues are active i guess.. but the one i'm using now cost me £700 and it handles 200k+ databases with ease..

32 minutes ago, mistuhg said:

Hi I'm looking for a new laptop that can handle 125k players (Or preferably 135k) for long journeyman saves.

I have £900 but can push this out to £1200 if the increase in performance is worth it. 

Firstly, nobody can tell you how many players it can handle - mostly, all computers can handle that amount - but it would depend on how fast you want the game to progress, which is a guess too. 

What you can do is get the best processor for that price. You haven't mentioned if you require to watch the matches in 3D or not.

These 2 are pretty much on par

https://www.box.co.uk/6RR67EABOX-HP-OMEN-15-dc1024na-16GB_2696779.html

https://www.box.co.uk/9S7-16P732-478-MSI-GL63-9SD-478UK_2513737.html

Research both model numbers for reviews - DC1024NA-16GB and GL63 9SD-478UK

You won't do much processor wise - and processor would be king for what you need.

Check out the opeing post.

1 hour ago, mistuhg said:

20 minutes ago, Welshace said:

That's a big budget for that kind of database... depends on how many leagues are active i guess.. but the one i'm using now cost me £700 and it handles 200k+ databases with ease..

Just now, Smurf said:

snip

I spoke too soon!

My current laptop has an i5 6200U processor and 8 GB RAM. I think the game (FMT 19) is rather slow on it, but then again I have nothing to compare it to. 

Would the above specs be considered "good", "average" or "poor" for FM? 

If my laptop isn't "good", what should I look for in a replacement? Do I need to look at the "gaming" laptops? (they are huge and look like... yeah). 

42 minutes ago, Footix said:

My current laptop has an i5 6200U processor and 8 GB RAM. I think the game (FMT 19) is rather slow on it, but then again I have nothing to compare it to. 

Would the above specs be considered "good", "average" or "poor" for FM? 

If my laptop isn't "good", what should I look for in a replacement? Do I need to look at the "gaming" laptops? (they are huge and look like... yeah). 

It should handle it ok - but setup has a huge impact. If you have 1 league loaded it would fly. If you have all the leagues loaded it would be slow. Plus the longer your career save, the more data, and the more data the more processing.

What you should look for is something in your budget. I could recommend anything from £300 - £30,000 - the choice is yours. 

But a good starting point would be a ball park setup that you would have for each game.

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

It should handle it ok - but setup has a huge impact. If you have 1 league loaded it would fly. If you have all the leagues loaded it would be slow. Plus the longer your career save, the more data, and the more data the more processing.

What you should look for is something in your budget. I could recommend anything from £300 - £30,000 - the choice is yours. 

But a good starting point would be a ball park setup that you would have for each game.

FMT is restricted to three nations. I usually load England, Italy and Spain and load all leagues in them. 

Budget would be around £700 I guess. I can stretch a little if needed, but I'd rather not. 🙂

Edited by Footix

My current laptop is about 5 years old now and I reckon I could do with an upgrade in time for FM20. Budget is around £600 but willing to go a bit higher. I tend to play long saves with about 10ish leagues and have an i3 processor so I'm used to it being reasonably slow. I have absolutely no idea what to look for tbh so some help would be much appreciated

23 hours ago, Welshace said:

18 hours ago, DizzyNewHeights said:

This is interesting. How long do your save usually last ?

Would you mind sharing your laptops specs ?

I would also be interested in knowing. If I don't have to spend £1200 on a laptop for 135k players then I certainly won't be. 

20 hours ago, Footix said:

FMT is restricted to three nations. I usually load England, Italy and Spain and load all leagues in them. 

Budget would be around £700 I guess. I can stretch a little if needed, but I'd rather not. 🙂

https://www.box.co.uk/30026164-Medion-Erazer-P6705_2647957.html

1 hour ago, Lambo95 said:

My current laptop is about 5 years old now and I reckon I could do with an upgrade in time for FM20. Budget is around £600 but willing to go a bit higher. I tend to play long saves with about 10ish leagues and have an i3 processor so I'm used to it being reasonably slow. I have absolutely no idea what to look for tbh so some help would be much appreciated

https://www.box.co.uk/4RE79EAABU-HP-Pavilion-Gaming-15-cx0999na_2485084.html

Good morning gents 

Looking to get back into football manager this year and I'm going to need a new laptop 

Ive always had pcs or laptops in the past not up to the job so looking for something to make the experience as smooth as possible. I'd like to run as large a database as possible with at least ten nations 

Would like to use the laptop for other pc games aswell such as apex legends, csgo amongst others 

My budget is between £ 800 -1000

Edit 

As this will be primarily for fm20 would it be worth waiting until closer to release to get a better deal?  

Edited by rdotman

On 18/09/2019 at 13:07, mistuhg said:

I would also be interested in knowing. If I don't have to spend £1200 on a laptop for 135k players then I certainly won't be. 

On 17/09/2019 at 18:42, DizzyNewHeights said:

This is interesting. How long do your save usually last ?

Would you mind sharing your laptops specs ?

https://www.box.co.uk/30026124-Medion-Erazer-P6705_2614018.html

Apologies, i apparantly forgot i spent £800 and not £700 on it... thats what happens when you go and splurge poker winnings on a laptop out of the blue!

Hello all, 

FM 19 has been my first year playing football manager and It’s safe to say I’m hooked! Having played on my standard laptop that is fairly old this year I have recently been looking for a new one to take into FM 20. 

A mate of a mate is selling an MSI GE62 6QD Apache Pro (link below) and having done some research it looks promising. Just wanted to know if this is a good laptop to run FM 19 on. 

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GE62-6QD-Apache-Pro/Specification

Cheers👍🏽

2 hours ago, FM_Prospect said:

You should have no problem with this setup for the next few years of FM 20, 21, 22 etc 

On 20/09/2019 at 23:21, FM_Prospect said:

How much RAM? [never mind - not awake today]

It's top 

Edited by Smurf

1 hour ago, Armistice said:

Hey guys I have an ASUS laptop that has an i7-8750H processor, nVidia GTX 1060 3GB and 16 GB of RAM. Up to how many leagues/players should I look to load to have a smooth experience?

You can load all the leauges and it will run - if you're happy with that speed of play then keep all leagues loaded. If you're not, reduce the leauge.

I may be happy with the speed, you may not - it's subjective. 

You'll just have to try a few variations and get whatever you think is acceptable.

After alot of research and looking around I've reached this laptop, budget up to around 1200£ ish 

One of the key things I'm looking for is 16gb of ram, later gen i7 and a good graphics cards (1660ti?)

Is there anything out there at this sort of price point I should have a look at

And is a 144Hz laptop worth the outlay at this price range, for instance this https://www.box.co.uk/6RR67EABOX-HP-OMEN-15-dc1024na-16GB_2696779.html although it has max q unfortunately and no hdd. Would this setup even be able to make the most of a 144Hz display?  

@Smurf appreciate any input thanks 

1 hour ago, rdotman said:

After alot of research and looking around I've reached this laptop, budget up to around 1200£ ish 

One of the key things I'm looking for is 16gb of ram, later gen i7 and a good graphics cards (1660ti?)

Is there anything out there at this sort of price point I should have a look at

And is a 144Hz laptop worth the outlay at this price range, for instance this https://www.box.co.uk/6RR67EABOX-HP-OMEN-15-dc1024na-16GB_2696779.html although it has max q unfortunately and no hdd. Would this setup even be able to make the most of a 144Hz display?  

@Smurf appreciate any input thanks 

Pretty similar - go for more storage in this case. 

144hz won't make a difference for FM.

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Pretty similar - go for more storage in this case. 

144hz won't make a difference for FM.

I would be using this setup for FPSs and other games occasionally, are 144Hz  any good at this price point? Or would the setup not be powerful enough to really benefit from one?  

Hi guys,

I've been reading all the blog/forum posts about what to look for etc. But I still would like a bit of a helping hand, I'm based in Aus at the moment and have come across the following which seems the best (and basically only) laptop in my price range with an I7 processor, would it be a good laptop for FM or is there something I'm not seeing?

https://www.dell.com/en-au/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-3000/spd/inspiron-15-3583-laptop/c510122au

- 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8565U Processor (8MB Cache, up to 4.6 GHz)
- Intel® UHD Graphics 620 with shared graphics memory
- 8GB, 1x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz
- 1TB 5400 rpm 2.5" SATA Hard Drive

Thanks a lot for helping out, it's a minefield out there! 

Joe

2 hours ago, Connor said:

Very keen on getting the attached, do people expect the new 10th gen Ice Lake CPU's to be able to handle FM20 etc:

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops-notebooks-and-2-in-1-laptops/new-xps-13-2-in-1/spd/xps-13-7390-2-in-1-laptop/cn73003

Would appreciate any input

That one probably won't as it's base frequency is 1.3ghz and FM requires 2.2ghz. 

It's hard to know on new processors how they fare for FM as the game is different to other games, it's more demanding on processing, so all the reviews you will see are for games that are not demanding of a processor. 

Remember FM has a lot of work going on in Single Thread processing, so it doesn't matter how many cores/threads you have in this respect, as the processing occurs in 1 single thread, and with a base frequency of 1.3ghz, it wouldn't bode well.

Not all the processing is done in Single Thread - there are other factors. 

Overall it's a decent machine - the processors are getting better and better. I'd be reluctant on this one though - sorry to be a buzz kill.

But I'd be plumping for something with a base frequency of at least minimum spec of 2.2ghz.

Hey - I may be wrong. And I'd be delighted if anyone with some experience with these can chime in! Be great to know myself!

Hi.
I plan to buy 16GB RAM for my PC.
My current specs:
- intel core i5 6500 3.2 GHz
- mb B150M Gaming Pro (2 slots memory)
- integrated graphic card
- RAM DDR4 2x4 GB dual channel
- OS Windows 7 64 bit

For FM, does it make big different perfomance if I upgrade to 2x8 GB dual channel RAM instead of single channel?
If it's not significant, maybe I'll just buy 1x16 GB RAM and install 4+16 GB RAM on my PC?
I also sometime run few virtual machine or android emulator, so it's nice to have bigger capacity. And don't plan to upgrade RAM again after this.

Edited by nox7

On 21/09/2019 at 08:21, FM_Prospect said:

That’s overkill for FM. I’ve got something pretty much the same apart that I have a 2070 super gfx. Will be able to run fm for the next decade easily with this setup

5 hours ago, nox7 said:

Hi.
I plan to buy 16GB RAM for my PC.
My current specs:
- intel core i5 6500 3.2 GHz
- mb B150M Gaming Pro (2 slots memory)
- integrated graphic card
- RAM DDR4 2x4 GB dual channel
- OS Windows 7 64 bit

For FM, does it make big different perfomance if I upgrade to 2x8 GB dual channel RAM instead of single channel?
If it's not significant, maybe I'll just buy 1x16 GB RAM and install 4+16 GB RAM on my PC?
I also sometime run few virtual machine or android emulator, so it's nice to have bigger capacity. And don't plan to upgrade RAM again after this.

Might have an issue with the integrated card. Not sure if you’d be able to play on max settings 

13 hours ago, Preveza said:

Might have an issue with the integrated card. Not sure if you’d be able to play on max settings 

Yes.. I won't play with max display setting.

But, what about loading speed of a league or I have many leagues loaded? Is there any significant difference performance between dual channel memory and single channel memory?

Thanks

Edited by nox7

@Smurf

I'm looking at getting a Window Surface or something of that ilk (portable and touchscreen) for both work but also to play FM20 and beyond...

I tend to play with a large database with probably about 10 leagues normally although I do use Dan's English Lower League database sometimes.

Ideally I'd like to use 3D graphics as well but that's not set in stone. I have about £1000 roughly at the minute as a budget but that budget can be flexible

Edited by stato_bennett

6 hours ago, nox7 said:

But, what about loading speed of a league or I have many leagues loaded? Is there any significant difference performance between dual channel memory and single channel memory?

Thanks

Nah you should be alright there either way :)

11 hours ago, nox7 said:

Thanks

Dual channel memory is usually better for performance. However, for FM, RAM won't make a huge difference from 8GB to 16GB, it's the processor that's the most important part for running FM quickly.

Hi all. I'm looking for some different advice to that normally asked. Im not looking for an ultra quick machine that is going to blast through seasons, but I do want one that will run in 3d.

Im looking for a 1st pc for a 9 year old and need a dedicated graphics card (I think), to run the game in 3d. I'm not overly concerned with speed, just so long as it works, but would like some general advice. 

As it's only for a 9 year old I want it as cheap as possible, but at the same time it needs to be able to run FM20 in 3d, (because I think he's old enough to give FMT a go now).

At the same time I dont know what I need and what I dont need so I want to make sure that what I buy does the job, but at the same time I want it to be cheap because he's only 9!

Suggestions and ideas would be appreciated. I'm looking for a desktop rather than a laptop or something else. That's about it really. Help please. 🤔😁

Will this run the game at a reasonable speed. I do like a big database, but it's not necessary, I've been more into british only signings anyway so not much need for players from Belarus...

The main issue i've had this time around on my macbook pro (old thing) is that the 3d engine doesnt work (2D occasionally crashes too) so I've had to instant result and it's been a horrible experience.

laptop will be used for streaming and general typing/browsing too.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8245355?&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|acid:532-198-3455|cid:598756200|agid:24290293370|tid:aud-641224040817:pla-482123448231|crid:86846330570|nw:g|rnd:5786344259965374563|dvc:c|adp:1o5|mt:|loc:9045654&gclid=Cj0KCQjwuNbsBRC-ARIsAAzITuf6898doMRJRpeSIJAuBy4vTeNmo_NPZ0wTKi7GCopLonSnwUy4ICkaAo7BEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds