England at World Cup 98

Being that we didn't make it to '94, this is the first World Cup I really remember. To this day I remember being in the living room watching my normally extremely reserved father completely losing his mind when Owen scored his goal :D 

Yep great shout with this. The Argentina penalty shootout is the earliest football memory I have, but the WC in general was just great. Fantastic tunes (Vindaloo, Tubthumping, Three Lions 98, etc), great location, even great video games around it, it was just spot on. I know we tend to look back in fondness generally but that era was probably the perfect crossover between having money and TV helping the globalisation of football, but not so much as to ruin the 'soul' of the game that some people feel today.

My abiding memory of that game against Argentina is trying to work out which of Simeone's and Owen's dives was most blatant. Owen's goal wasn't bad tbf. Nice to see someone else remember Campbell's dribble against Colombia as one of the moments of the tournament.

In retrospect the furore over Gascoigne being left out seems strange. By that stage he was basically 2018 Rooney without any of the career achievements and with a massive alcohol problem that he wanted his teammates to join in with. 

And Hoddle was probably a bit of a dick on a personal level, but the manager's tournament arrangements always get criticised for being too harsh or too soft anyway

Archived