Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

Have we lost like the last 6 years of updates??

The new software is still migrating and indexing in the background. It takes some days until all old posts are visible again.

Yes there is, but I can't work out what's what.

There is a light grey circle, and I have posted in them.
There is blank, and I haven't posted in them.
There is a darker blue ring, (hollow circle).
There is a dark blue circle, and I think I have posted in them too. 

[Edit]

Linking to twitter is decent for signing in at least, but I'm not sure what other benefits it offers. 

[Edit1]

I am encountering 2 issues. 

1 is that the forum seems to be remembering old posts and wants ton start off new posts with the old post, (as above).n 

The 2nd issue is that it seems as if Kubi made a post in this thread approx. 1 hour ago, but when i click on the last post in this thread then it takes me to a post by withnail316 that was made in November 2015 and is on page 126 of 126. #confuddled

[Edit2]

But when I actually make the post, then all the posts miraculously appear and there are now 134 pages. 

Hopefully this 'background indexing' won't take much longer, the longer threads (like this one) are all over the place at the moment.

It does make use of the feature where you hover over a thread title to read the latest post though, which is pretty cool.

I can now see that dafuge has posted 57 minutes ago, but when I try to click on the 57 mins ago, it instead takes me to a post made by Makoto Nakamura in this thread on Wednesday at 21:15

[Edit]

Interesting. 

When I actually make the post then everything becomes visible and I can see dafuge's post and all 152 pages of the thread. 

Yes, bold seems to be working fine for me. I can see all of the above posts ok.

Thank goodness the thread seems to be complete now. It was frustrating seeing there were new posts over the past day or so without being able to view them. It looks like the process of adding everything back is going nicely (and it did make sense to leave the older threads and posts until later rather than spending a lot more time offline by trying to move everything at once) and the new forum software is shaping up nicely after the early issues.

38 minutes ago, interesti88 said:

Why are there so many Journeyman saves with small and/or irrelevant clubs? I'm just looking for a a long-term save with  fallen giant, like a rebuild of Inter.

Because many people get bored managing big clubs so instead opt for the challenge of managing tiny clubs.

1 hour ago, interesti88 said:

Why are there so many Journeyman saves with small and/or irrelevant clubs? I'm just looking for a a long-term save with  fallen giant, like a rebuild of Inter.

You may want to define "irrelevant". Irrelevant to whom? All clubs are relevant to somebody, no matter how small they are. Personally, I've rarely got any interest at all in taking charge of "big" clubs, whether they're a fallen giant or not. I'd rather overthrow ALL of the big clubs with a small side I've been in charge of for years and built up. 

The beauty of FM is that it allows all of us to play the game in our own way. You want to see an Inter thread - why don't you start one? 

1 hour ago, interesti88 said:

Usually, because you can buy your way to the top in a number of seasons, or pump a lot of money into the youth systems

21 minutes ago, interesti88 said:

I wish I can enjoy a small club save but I watch too much football and don't know anything below 2nd divisions, so trying to find an FM story I can relate to is difficult. 

If you don't know anything below 2nd divisions, you could argue you don't watch enough football :)

2 hours ago, withnail316 said:

The beauty of FM is that it allows all of us to play the game in our own way.

This, a million times over.

There are larger clubs in this subforum (and some I'll be taking on in my save, over the long term).  For me, the joy of the game has gone through phases over the years -- from managing big clubs, to dafuge-esque challenges, youth academy only saves...now, what I enjoy is the narrative in my head.  A long-term "story" that can be told that has a life/world beyond the pitch.  

Whatever makes you happy -- that's all that matters!

2 hours ago, interesti88 said:

I wish I can enjoy a small club save but I watch too much football and don't know anything below 2nd divisions, so trying to find an FM story I can relate to is difficult. 

For me, playing with those lesser known teams on FM has broadened my interest in the real world game - I would never have watched any South American or African club football in real life, for example, had I not visited those regions in the game. The same goes for Europe too - when visiting Czech Republic a few years ago, I impressed a few locals with my knowledge of Chmel Blsany and the story that I had completed Gundo's challenge with them on FM08. Got a free pint out of that which made it all worth while :D

There's nothing wrong with a big club save, but after you've played FM for a while, specially a few particularly easy versions of FM, you start finding that very boring. I remember winning the Champions League with Real Madrid and feeling no sense of achievement whatsoever. This is why I avoid taking over clubs which are on a high (even small clubs which are over-performing), I'd rather take the challenge to build a club myself. It doesn't really matter to me if I have zero knowledge of the players or the league, that's part of the challenge too. 

I haven't started watching Bulgarian or Slovakian real life football just yet, though... Sorry, that sounds even more boring. :D

21 hours ago, DodgeeD said:

For me, playing with those lesser known teams on FM has broadened my interest in the real world game - I would never have watched any South American or African club football in real life, for example, had I not visited those regions in the game. The same goes for Europe too - when visiting Czech Republic a few years ago, I impressed a few locals with my knowledge of Chmel Blsany and the story that I had completed Gundo's challenge with them on FM08. Got a free pint out of that which made it all worth while :D

RIGHT?? Having a pint with RKC Waalwijk fans who are really happy that someone in England knows their club. Brilliant.

31 minutes ago, withnail316 said:

I see Dundalk will be playing Europa League football at the very least this year. That's the type of story you'd expect to see on these boards, not in real life! Amazing.

Just came on to post that I expect to see an increase in League of Ireland saves after this. 

:applause:

Even if they lose the Playoff, (very likely considering who are available in that round,), then they are still guaranteed Europa League football. Champions League would be astonishing!

BATE aren't pushovers, either. Such a good win for them. Does anyone remember an Irish team ever making it to the groups of the Europa League? I can't remember it happening, certainly not recently.

EDIT: According to wiki, Shamrock Rovers made it in 2011. Did not know that.

Yeah at White Hart Lane Shamrock took the lead on 50mins but Spurs hit back to lead 3-1 after 65mins and that was final score, Spurs then won 4-0 in the return fixture.

On the topic of advice, is anybody else struggling with images they add directly into their threads? Whenever I try, I just can't seem to get the sizing right - and it takes longer to try and correct the size than it would just to use photobucket!

4 minutes ago, Rikulec said:

Do you use the insert other media button or just paste the link? I have no trouble using the first option, the image is there exactly as it should be, no corrections needed.

I use the "choose files" link, and then when it has loaded, I use the insert into post button...

3 hours ago, withnail316 said:

On the topic of advice, is anybody else struggling with images they add directly into their threads? Whenever I try, I just can't seem to get the sizing right - and it takes longer to try and correct the size than it would just to use photobucket!

Yeah I have been adding some via clicking the link and some directly in my posts from hosting site, the pics are small in the post but come up fine when clicked on.

Just now, Maw74 said:

Yeah I have been adding some via clicking the link and some directly in my posts from hosting site, the pics are small in the post but come up fine when clicked on.

Cool, glad it's not just me! I'll stick to photobucket, I think. 

3 hours ago, iacovone said:

Have switched to Gyazo - much better than photobucket IMO 

I shall have a look, cheers. Photobucket can be a royal pain in the arse, although was miles better than Imageshack, which I used before...

Archived