12 Step Guide to Tactics

On 27.9.2017 at 22:05, Rashidi said:

You can elect to use a strategy of shutting them at the source or defending against their threat. If you choose to shut them down at the source then you want to isolate key pass combinations that indicate where most of their support play is occurring and this will be the area you disrupt, either by overloading or by reducing the influence of their creative players. 

Hi Rashidi,

great guide. One Question. I play with FM Touch. How can I analyze key pass combinations? 

All those info are great but it would be more helpful to discuss what what we have to do in those situations..

My problem is the failure to realise what is going on on the pitch and what you have to do to counter it

Am bringing just an example of what you mentioned above "If you choose to shut them down at the source then you want to isolate key pass combinations that indicate where most of their support play is occurring and this will be the area you disrupt, either by overloading or by reducing the influence of their creative players."

Well..How am I supposed to do that?

Same applies to all the other examples you have provided

Tactical experts just like you are easily able to understand what you have to do in every situation and a more analytical post should be made with different examples and how to react in every situation 

3 hours ago, Alekos said:

All those info are great but it would be more helpful to discuss what what we have to do in those situations..

My problem is the failure to realise what is going on on the pitch and what you have to do to counter it

Am bringing just an example of what you mentioned above "If you choose to shut them down at the source then you want to isolate key pass combinations that indicate where most of their support play is occurring and this will be the area you disrupt, either by overloading or by reducing the influence of their creative players."

Well..How am I supposed to do that?

Same applies to all the other examples you have provided

Tactical experts just like you are easily able to understand what you have to do in every situation and a more analytical post should be made with different examples and how to react in every situation 

There are already lots of threads discussing the more intricate ways on how to spot issues, fix them, nullify specific threats etc. They're all in one of the pinned thread at the top.

9 hours ago, Cleon said:

There are already lots of threads discussing the more intricate ways on how to spot issues, fix them, nullify specific threats etc. They're all in one of the pinned thread at the top.

Thanks for the reply Cleon but i forgot to mention that I have already read those threads (yours too of course), but still struggling..

Also what about this year's match engine..Do the same tactical info apply to FM2018 since there are some new roles already?

1 hour ago, Alekos said:

Thanks for the reply Cleon but i forgot to mention that I have already read those threads (yours too of course), but still struggling..

Also what about this year's match engine..Do the same tactical info apply to FM2018 since there are some new roles already?

Cleon and I have been here writing since 2003, that's a long time and over the course of more than 14 years we've seen ourselves repeat the same written content over and over again. Each year we write the same stuff about tactics. Granted they introduced roles, but tbh it was just a couple of instructions grouped together with some hardcoding to make them work in a specific way, to give the AI a chance against humans.

When it comes to the game itself, the concepts are timeless. The notion that you need balance in your tactic, that you should have enough support duties to anchor your side, all this information is as relevant today as it was in 2009 when the TC came out. So to answer your question its the same.

The real challenge isn't making the game easier for you, its actually to make the game easier for the AI. The AI has to handle the human user who has an infinite number of ways to set up a tactic by manipulating player roles, instructions, ti's and pis. Concepts like overloading, double flank attacks or a lopsided attack, and then swinging around and using analysis in a game to stymie the AI is the edge a human has.

So yes, everything you could do in FM17 you can do in FM18, but now there are more options, including new instructions. This gives you more latitude, but the kind of decisions you make are still the same.

When I wrote the 12 step guide, its meant to be a simple check for people. A checklist of sorts for you to assess your own progress. When I talk about attributes, its not a new subject, there are threads on this that go back years. The information is nearly the same. Maybe in 2003 my fashion was first touch, but by 2016 I was firmly on determination. When I ask people to check the attributes of their players its not a list that you go through to find the best players who fit all those attributes...that list is for you to use to understand why your transitions fail. Its written like an action list, so you need to go through the transition and ask yourself those questions. Finally every attribute needs to be scaled to the league you are in. SO the information itself is relevant for all levels of competition, because the attributes affect everyone the same way.

To answer your question after all my verbiage, is yes. Apart from the new roles the way we play is the same, the approach hasn't changed. For those new roles all we need to do is to find out how they can work within our system and thats the same approach we take with any role. Does that role fit into your system? Cleon has already written a good starter guide for each role which is meant to encourage people to go try this out, and I am doing videos on how I use those roles within my own tactics. At the end of the day our approach hasn't changed.

37 minutes ago, NabsKebabs said:

I'm finding the AI is a bit more challenging tactically in FM18. How are you finding the AI Rashidi? 

I am finding this to be the easiest version of FM since FM 13, probably down to the fact that there is waaaaay too much information to help people. I do think that they will fix some of the stuff that are in the public beta.

43 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

I am finding this to be the easiest version of FM since FM 13, probably down to the fact that there is waaaaay too much information to help people. I do think that they will fix some of the stuff that are in the public beta.

Damn, even easier that 15 and the magic press and shape setting?

What you think it's the problem this year?

3 minutes ago, forlegaizen said:

Damn, even easier that 15 and the magic press and shape setting?

What you think it's the problem this year?

Its not a problem, there's just a tonne of information now in the game, makes things easier and some of the advice you get in the game is decent.

1 hour ago, Rashidi said:

Its not a problem, there's just a tonne of information now in the game, makes things easier and some of the advice you get in the game is decent.

Ah, I see easier in the sense that the game it's better explained and more user "friendly" . I thought i was some dumb exploit like we had in previous years.

Good news then!

Edited by forlegaizen

5 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Cleon and I have been here writing since 2003, that's a long time and over the course of more than 14 years we've seen ourselves repeat the same written content over and over again. Each year we write the same stuff about tactics. Granted they introduced roles, but tbh it was just a couple of instructions grouped together with some hardcoding to make them work in a specific way, to give the AI a chance against humans.

When it comes to the game itself, the concepts are timeless. The notion that you need balance in your tactic, that you should have enough support duties to anchor your side, all this information is as relevant today as it was in 2009 when the TC came out. So to answer your question its the same.

The real challenge isn't making the game easier for you, its actually to make the game easier for the AI. The AI has to handle the human user who has an infinite number of ways to set up a tactic by manipulating player roles, instructions, ti's and pis. Concepts like overloading, double flank attacks or a lopsided attack, and then swinging around and using analysis in a game to stymie the AI is the edge a human has.

So yes, everything you could do in FM17 you can do in FM18, but now there are more options, including new instructions. This gives you more latitude, but the kind of decisions you make are still the same.

When I wrote the 12 step guide, its meant to be a simple check for people. A checklist of sorts for you to assess your own progress. When I talk about attributes, its not a new subject, there are threads on this that go back years. The information is nearly the same. Maybe in 2003 my fashion was first touch, but by 2016 I was firmly on determination. When I ask people to check the attributes of their players its not a list that you go through to find the best players who fit all those attributes...that list is for you to use to understand why your transitions fail. Its written like an action list, so you need to go through the transition and ask yourself those questions. Finally every attribute needs to be scaled to the league you are in. SO the information itself is relevant for all levels of competition, because the attributes affect everyone the same way.

To answer your question after all my verbiage, is yes. Apart from the new roles the way we play is the same, the approach hasn't changed. For those new roles all we need to do is to find out how they can work within our system and thats the same approach we take with any role. Does that role fit into your system? Cleon has already written a good starter guide for each role which is meant to encourage people to go try this out, and I am doing videos on how I use those roles within my own tactics. At the end of the day our approach hasn't changed.

First of all thanks for your reply and at the same time I have to let you know that I am following your posts for almost 11 years (since I became a member here) even if I do not appear so active in the forums..

I have also a collection of printed archives of your posts which are very very helpful but in the last two versions of the game I feel that I have not the influence on the pitch that I would like to and my wins are not from how good I understand how the ME works but moslty based on luck..

To be honest I have not played this version yet and am really looking forward about all those new informations you are mentioning that will make the user understand better what it's really going on on the pitch...As I said I don't really care if I win or lose because this is the game..I just want to find out how I won or how I lost..This is what makes the game so magical and addictive

• 2 weeks later...

How many highlights are you guys watching from the games, to determine where  the flaws in the tactic are? And also making small changes during games.

Are you watching the full game or is key highlights enough?

Edited by Hdefte

On 27/09/2017 at 21:05, Rashidi said:

Defensive - Highly structured - Attack duties will be further away, their risk appetites will be higher

From my understanding, I would have thought that playing Defensive/Highly Structured would mean that 'risk appetites' would be lower not higher.

Please explain?

29 minutes ago, Codename47 said:

From my understanding, I would have thought that playing Defensive/Highly Structured would mean that 'risk appetites' would be lower not higher.

Please explain?

Set a tactic up, attack structured and then set the same tactic attack fluid, now compare the W(A) duty, his individual mentality is actually higher on structured than it is on fluid

Ok, understood, I don't doubt you one bit Rashidi in terms of how the game is set up, but I was always under the impression that playing 'structured' (same/similar as 'Rigid' / 'Disciplined'), would limit the team/player attitude to risk?

(I haven't played FM17/18 btw, last one was FM16 - unless it has changed)

Edited by Codename47

Shape re-distributes mentality, hence risk.  Lower shape settings are inherently less risky that is true, but depending on how you set up your duties in the final third. Attacking duties there can be more "riskier" than they would be in a fluid system

Nice reading this, and some very helpfull tips, but I do wonder about all this focus on the opposition. I've never done mutch adapting on previous FMs, and I mostly played the same way against everybody. Do I realy have to analyze the crap out of every opposition? And is it ok to let the assistant take care of OI?

I've always played with flexible style, but after reading this I changed to structured. It helped a lot in defence, but I still need some work to get the tacktic to work in attack. I dont know if this is the right place to ask for a spesific tip, but is there anything very wrong with theese Team Istructions? (I play a 4-3-2-1, if it matters) 

Uten navn.png

• 1 month later...
On 15/11/2017 at 07:38, Rashidi said:

Shape re-distributes mentality, hence risk.  Lower shape settings are inherently less risky that is true, but depending on how you set up your duties in the final third. Attacking duties there can be more "riskier" than they would be in a fluid system

Hi Rashidi. Congratulations for your website (fmaddicted) that I follow and this post.

I still have a doubt (indeed i have a lot :p): do we have more risk (and an attacking football) playing with attack/fluid or attack/structured? 

Edited by Tunes10

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 06:42, Laze said:

Nice reading this, and some very helpfull tips, but I do wonder about all this focus on the opposition. I've never done mutch adapting on previous FMs, and I mostly played the same way against everybody. Do I realy have to analyze the crap out of every opposition? And is it ok to let the assistant take care of OI?

There's probably a middle ground between analyzing the crap out of everything and punting it to the assistant. Perhaps pick out one or two really key features of your opponent's tactical approach - such as a focus on wide play, a key playmaker, a high defensive line, etc. Then make just one or two impactful strategic adjustments accordingly and see if that helps. That's what I've been trying to do lately to better learn the game and it feels more manageable to a novice like myself.

Edited by dankrzyz

• 1 month later...

I have released now 3 books on the game, and I don't wanna tout them on the forums, people who are keen on finding out can always find me on Twitter or find my patreon site for more information, but this post is not about that. There are always going to be people who find it hard to either buy a book or support me on patreon, and I totally understand that and I don't want them supporting me. These people may still need help with the game, and I have made this information available on my youtube channel in the form of video guides. So these video guides closely follow my book, or have content that is covered in the book, and in some cases have content not in the book, and in the case of one video, needs to be visually done cos it can't be done in a book format..Overloads!, which my patrons have said is the best video I have ever done.  I am just glad it helped. 

For the rest of the world, I do want to help you too, so if you are finding specific parts of the game challenging, please let me know, and I will cover that in a video and do a guide on it.

If you want to jump to my wordpress site which has all these videos, just click anywhere on this sentence.

Section One - The Tactical Creator
- How to use the Tactical Creator: 
- How to Master the Tactical Creator:  
- Mentality Explained 
- How to use Mentality to affect Width: 
- Shape A Short Guide for FM:  
- How to use Shape in FM:   

Section 2 Understanding Player Attributes:
How to Use Attributes in the Game : 
How to Choose the Right Roles:  
How to Choose the Right Duty:  
Assessing your squad for the first time: 
How to use Player Traits:  
Fullbacks and Every Back in Between : 
Guide to the Mezzala: 
Guide to the Carrilero: 
Complete Wingback Guide (FM15) 
Strikers who play it safe (FM17): 
Ball Winning Midfielder (Also happens to my first video on YT) 
Preparing For Promotion I: 
Preparing For Promotion II: 

Section 3: The Basics of Making Tactics
Tactics Getting Started: 
Exploiting the Golden Zone:
How to Create Overloads: 
How to Set up A set-piece routine : 
Quick Guides Set Pieces: 
Positions and Personalised Instructions: 

Section 4: Moving to the Big Picture
Transitions 
Understanding Transitions : 
How to Transition - Gloucester Special 
How to use Powerful Analysis Tools in FM: 
How to Stop Losing to the AI (25 step guide) 
How to Stop losing to the AI - 
How to Stop Losing to the AI - Pre Match and Match Day: 

Section IV : Making the SuperSystem
SuperSystems in FM Introduction: 
Narrow Supersystems 4132, 4312, 442 Diamond: 
4231 Deep for FM18:
Columbus Crew 4231 Deep Playthrough:
Crew go 433 Playthrough: 
Tim's 4312 vs PSG Playthrough:
How to build a 41221 - 
How to Build a 4231 - 
How to Beat a 4231 with Playthrough- 
4231 with Inverted Wingbacks Playthrough - 
Callamity's 4231 Playthrough- 
Gloucester 4231 Explained Playthrough: 
Spurs Get Overloaded 4231 Playthrough:
Torino Diaries - SuperSystem Explained 

Section V: Training: 
Facilities and 5 Star Coaching: 
Player Development Cycle: 
Retraining Tips and Tricks: 
Training Schedules: 
Tutoring: 
Loaning Players: 
Match Preparation: 
Scouting Guide:

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, Pablo Sanchez said:

Still struggling with structured vs fluid. in game it says fluid players will be given more creative freedom yet on forums everyone says fluid plays will have less risk appetite...

No-one is saying that on the forum at all. Ignore what you think you have seen on the forum and just concentrate on what the game says and you're on the right tracks. Don't over complicate things like most do around these parts. Especially when you're struggling to get your head around it.

Structured - The players mentality will be vastly different based on the role/duty/position a player plays. 

Fluid - Players mentalities throughout the team will be similar/same so this brings players closer together. They'll also see the base role you set, get more creative freedom.

That's the gist of it and there is no reason to go anymore indepth than that unless you really feel the need to. 

I definitely agree that Shape is nebulous. If you want to keep it super, super simple then think of it like this...

Shape tells your players whether to prioritise their Duty or the team Mentality.

So on a Fluid setting team Mentality comes first. With a Defensive-Fluid combination your Attack duties are going to be a lot more conservative, they'll play a lot more like Support duties. It will also effect your support players in attacking positions (AMR/AMC/AML/ST) who will be a bit more team-orientated. 

A structured setting tells your players that their Duty comes first, so with an Defensive-Structured combination your Attack duties' job is get forward early and attack space. Your Support duties in attacking positions (AMR/AMC/AML/ST) will also focus on supporting the Attack duties over and above being part of a disciplined defensive unit.

A Flexible shape means that your players are trusted to use their own judgement (their intelligence and decision making) and balance the team's mentality with their own Duty.

So in short the more fluid the setting the more Attack duties play like Support duties, the more restrained attacking Support players are and the more team orientated all other Support players and Defend duties will behave like regular Support duties. A more Structured team shape will see Attack duties and attacking Support duties on their toes ready to attack, regular Support duties will be a bit more restrained will stay back and do their job.

I hope that helps.

Edited by Atarin

• 3 months later...
Il 30/10/2017 in 23:46 , Alekos ha scritto:

Prima di tutto grazie per la tua risposta e allo stesso tempo devo farti sapere che sto seguendo i tuoi post da quasi 11 anni (da quando sono diventato membro qui) anche se non mi sembra così attivo nei forum ..

Ho anche una collezione di archivi stampati dei tuoi post che sono molto utili, ma nelle ultime due versioni del gioco sento che non ho l'influenza sul campo che vorrei e le mie vittorie non derivano da quanto sono bravo capire come funziona il ME, ma basato sulla fortuna ..

Ad essere onesti, non ho ancora giocato a questa versione e non vedo l'ora di conoscere tutte quelle nuove informazioni che farai capire che l'utente capirà meglio cosa sta succedendo sul campo ... Come ho detto, non mi interessa davvero se vinco o perdo perché questo è il gioco .. voglio solo scoprire come ho vinto o come ho perso ... questo è ciò che rende il gioco così magico e avvincente

It's what I want too.Probably we should "study" real tactics and then put them into practice (as far as possible) in FM

On 22/11/2017 at 14:42, Laze said:

I dont know if this is the right place to ask for a spesific tip, but is there anything very wrong with theese Team Istructions? (I play a 4-3-2-1, if it matters) 

Uten navn.png

Play narrower and Look for overlap are illogical TIs given that you already play with a narrow formation (I guess you mean 4321 with 2 AMCs, not wingers?), plus defensive mentality inherently makes your formation comparatively narrower. And whom are your FBs supposed to overlap? So these 2 TIs are first that I would remove.

Further, I don't see logic behind using higher d-line and less closing down at the same time. If you want to play with a higher d-line, pressing should be either normal (default) or also higher (which can be risky though). Conversely, a more logical option is a deeper d-line coupled with (slightly) higher pressing.

Also, exploiting your flanks in a system where your full-backs are the only wide players can compromise your defensive solidity, because it increases the mentality of your fullbacks, especially as you don't have a player in DM strata to provide more immediate protection to your back line. Exploit the Middle would be actually more logical, since it's the middle where most of your players are concentrated.

As for the tackling section, I think "Stay on feet" is unnecessary, primarily because defensive mentality already makes your players less aggressive. Be More Disciplined is probably also not needed when you use structured shape, and with defensive mentality at that.

Pass into space? Not sure whether it should be part of your basic tactical setup. You can always employ it at some point in a match if you notice that the opposition is leaving enough space behind that you could exploit. However, this is also closely related to your roles and duties (how many players you have who attack the space and where on the pitch).