How are AI-controlled Liverpool doing in your saves?

Having put in nearly 350 hours in various saves with several teams, I have noticed one common theme: Liverpool are awful. They never succeed in any way.

I holidayed to 2021 last night (5 seasons) and watched them finish 6th, 8th, 9th, 12th and 13th, a different manager each season and steadily heading towards relegation. 

I did it again this morning and there was a similar outcome. I recently managed Dormund and watched on as Liverpool disappeared into mid-table mediocrity. I holidayed a few seasons just now and they are in 16th place near the end of season 3.

What's strange in the most recent one is that Klopp was sacked on NYE in the first season when he was only 6 points off the top 4, 20 games played (expectations are to qualify for the Euro Cup so he was hardly failing). It makes no sense. It's not unrealistic for a team to have a bad season of course (or a manager, and that particular manager; look at his last season with Dortmund IRL), but for him to fail miserably every save is very peculiar. Each successive manager Liverpool hire performs worse and worse.

As a side note, Liverpool almost always draw Manchester United first in the league (easily 90% of new saves I've loaded and regardless of game set-up). Another curiosity.

OP What leagues do you have as Playable? Not sure if still the case, but that could be a factor. Also, AI Klopp could have renegotiated club objectives, and said he wanted to finish higher to gain extra wage budget or transfer budget, so could have been sacked on those grounds.  Can't comment on AI performance in my game, as I manage LFC... 

In two simulated first seasons Klopp has been sacked  31/12/16 twice, replaced by Bielsa twice, who has signed one player only (Tobias Svendson) twice and brought in one member of staff (Claudio Bordon) twice. Both times Liverpool finished outside of the European places.

1 hour ago, rinso said:

OP What leagues do you have as Playable? Not sure if still the case, but that could be a factor. Also, AI Klopp could have renegotiated club objectives, and said he wanted to finish higher to gain extra wage budget or transfer budget, so could have been sacked on those grounds.  Can't comment on AI performance in my game, as I manage LFC... 

England (conference and up), and then all from Germany, France, Spain, Holland, Italy, Portugal. You make an interesting point about him setting his own expectations and I didn't consider that. He fails every time any way :D

58 minutes ago, mikelfc8 said:

In two simulated first seasons Klopp has been sacked  31/12/16 twice, replaced by Bielsa twice, who has signed one player only (Tobias Svendson) twice and brought in one member of staff (Claudio Bordon) twice. Both times Liverpool finished outside of the European places.

Yeah it's Bielsa every time for me too. He rarely lasts a further season.

2 hours ago, Richey2008 said:

Both Liverpool and Chelsea went down in Season 2 for me. Liverpool came straight back and as of Season 6 are top 3 contenders. Chelsea lost in the Championship playoffs in Season 3, came back in Season 4 and as of Season 6 are top 5. It's been entertaining to watch.

Actually Chelsea also always struggle in my first season. They sack Conte and then recover. Liverpool and Chelsea repeat the same cycle in every save.

1 hour ago, keithw44 said:

I'm in 2027 on fm16.  Liverpool have won nothing, occasionally they get in the top 4 and play in the CC.  Interestingly Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs have never been out of the top 5.

Yeh, the point is in FM17 there does seem to be something distinctive about the woes of Klopp and Conte.

Just to note that I started 3 different saves with Liverpool (been away from FM for a few years so had a few well needed practise runs), in 2 I played united at home and in the save I'm in Jan in now, I had united at home in my second game! Not sure what drives the fixtures but it's been noted in the Liverpool Team Guide thread also.

@carlowsaint19 In the most recent season that I managed to finish with Liverpool, Watford were challenging for the title all season. United won, we finished 2nd, Spurs 3rd, Watford 4th. There was 6 points between 1st and 6th. United, Liverpool, Spurs, Watford, Arsenal, Man City. Chelsea finished mid-table and Everton scraped survival by a point.

1 minute ago, ..Valhalla.. said:

@carlowsaint19 In the most recent season that I managed to finish with Liverpool, Watford were challenging for the title all season. United won, we finished 2nd, Spurs 3rd, Watford 4th. There was 6 points between 1st and 6th. United, Liverpool, Spurs, Watford, Arsenal, Man City. Chelsea finished mid-table and Everton scraped survival by a point.

I had the same issue with Chelsea, they were 16-17th for most of the season (and beat me even then). Conte was sacked and Van Gall is now manager and have moved up to 11th I think. I remember seeing someone posting a save where Chelsea had been relegated in season 1. Bournemouth are the other surprise team in my save in 6th.

Not noticed them in my current game, albeit only 10 games in. Chelsea are top after winning 9 out of 10, Sunderland are third and Liverpool eighth just below me (Southampton).

One thing I have noticed in the practice games I had and now this on is the low number of draws that seem to occur.

I'm in 2027, and Liverpool are struggling hard. Klopp got fired after the first season due to finishing 8th (I think, don't have the game running at the moment). After that they have had a bunch of managers and were almost relegated a couple of times, but at the moment they have Samuel Eto'o as gaffer and are a team that's sometimes in Europe. Often 5th-10th place.

You guys that are playing in England and not managing Man Utd. how are they doing? How is their transfer market movement? 

In my save they are doing extremely good after a few big signings. They bought Manolas, Verratti, Koke, Danilo and Correa (At. Mad). Right now they have the best midfield in the world. They struggle first season before this signings (8ths) but they won with 92 points the next season. 3rd they are first tho is quite close between the 4 or 5 top clubs.

Im playing in Italy with full details in England and Spain.

Man U tend to be 'meh' in my saves. In the first two holiday saves they were challenging and shared 1st/2nd with Arsenal, but after that always seem off the pace. Moanie never gets sacked though, unfortunately. Spurs are also consistently underwhelming, but not as much as Chelsea and Liverpool.

Liverpool is always crap in my saves too, and that enrages me because i'm a huge Liverpool fan. I was at Leipzig and they sacked Klopp close to the end of the 2nd season and approached me, because i finished 5th and 2nd with Leipzig, above the expectations, sadly they turned me down and gave the job to Eddie Howe who is now on the verge of sacking. I resigned from RBL after a poor 3rd season and i was waiting for them to sack Howe, sadly he always managed to save his skin, and Chelsea sacked LVG and they gave me the job in the winter break of the 4th season. Liverpool is in mediocrity drifting around 8th and 9th place. If they sack Howe i will apply to be their manager and restore the club where it should be.

44 minutes ago, nicobile said:

You guys that are playing in England and not managing Man Utd. how are they doing? How is their transfer market movement? 

Man Utd have been ruling England with an iron fist since the start. With Mourinho still in charge they have won PL 6 times and CL 3 times, if I'm not mistaken.  They have bought players for silly money just about each season. They bought Marco Veratti for £101M in the first season for instance.

I'm challenging them with my mighty Folkestone Invicta, but it's going to take some time I guess.

I had a much more disturbing experience with Liverpool, in season 2 they were neck and neck with Man Utd by the new year, third was a distant 9pts away. They decide to splash the cash on a striker having lost Firmino to Arsenal in the summer, so who do they buy? one Mario Balotelli... He did not score a single goal, they came 4th.

6 hours ago, Frank Dashwood said:

I had a much more disturbing experience with Liverpool, in season 2 they were neck and neck with Man Utd by the new year, third was a distant 9pts away. They decide to splash the cash on a striker having lost Firmino to Arsenal in the summer, so who do they buy? one Mario Balotelli... He did not score a single goal, they came 4th.

My Liverpool also bought back Balotelli, i dont understand the reasoning xD

Saw them hilariously bottle the league in 2020 on my holiday season. Commanding position, five games to go and only two league defeats all season. They lost four in a row. As a consolation prize, they won the Europa Cup. You can't argue that doesn't sound like Liverpool.

That said, the seasons before they finished 8th, 5th, 8th and 6th and at one point hired Louis van Gaal

Archived