Introducing Community Translations

• SI Staff

Every year we get requests from around the world from people who want us to add a translated version of Football Manager in their language.

As much as we’d love to translate the game into every language, it’s often not possible for us to do so.

So, in the same way as we let people add extra leagues to the game and make them available via Steam Workshop, with FM17 we’re doing the same with languages.

Once the game is released on November 4th, you’ll notice a new tab on the Steam Workshop called “Community Translations”. This is where the community-made translations will live, and you’ll be able to download them here and change the language in game.

If you want to make a community translation you’ll need to wait until the game is released on November 4th when full instructions will be provided as will the relevant files – but here are a few questions answered now so you can get yourself ready.

What languages can I add?
We ship the game with 16 languages and, in theory, you can add any language you want to, but there are some font restrictions. The game will ship with fonts that can cover Latin/Cyrillic character sets plus Arabic, Chinese (simplified & traditional), Hebrew and Japanese

Can we collaborate as a team for the translation?    
Yes, you can, and this will be part of the guide that we release to making translations once the game is released

Who owns the translation?
The people who make the translation will own it – as with any Steam Workshop content, it’s owned by you. You will NOT be able to charge for it though, or sell it to any third party.

What can be translated?
The translation files are for any text in the game not including data (player names/club names/injury names etc). Although, in theory, you can already translate those in the data editor.

How many words are there to translate?
There are over 100,000 “strings”, which are made up of more than 1.5m words.

When can I start working on it? 
We’re still working on the files for the game now, and they won’t be ready before its release on November 4th.

How do I import them into the game?
You import via Steam Workshop, then change your language in game.

What if I want to add in a language that isn’t covered by the fonts already there?
Ask us on our forums at community.sigames.com and we’ll see what we can do – we can’t promise anything, as each new font we add adds more memory to the game for everyone, but will look into it.

• SI Staff

It's not going to be perfect alignment wise - but certainly better than the option now of just playing in English :)

We're going to be monitoring the success of this system both with quality, downloads and extra sales in the region, and will react accordingly. We might not have time to change things to make it work better with FM17, but hopefully 17 will do well enough to allow us to make FM18 and make improvements to the community translation system based on feedback and use.

Neat idea.

Should also get the folks on the Steam discussions who said you're all racists for not including a Chinese translation and that China would destroy FM unless you "surrender" to chill the hell out.

The Romanian FM community (www.fmro.ro) will start the work on the first Romanian translation. We already started to gather a team, so is there a way to make an announcement on the SI Games forum so that all the people interested to help on a Romanian translation can join our effort? The topic is available in Romanian on our forum: http://www.fmro.ro/forums/index.php?/topic/14816-hai-sa-traducem-fm-2017-in-romana/

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

American English is already in-game as a default option - English (US).

I know.  A lot of it isn't dialectically on-the-banana, but that's not a big issue.

I do have a few translation error bugs to report, though.  I need to dig those up.

Edited by suncrush

• SI Staff
23 hours ago, Double Indemnity said:

Is it possible to use this feature to tinker with the game's default (UK) English? There are a lot of style issues, grammatical errors, comma splices, etc. that irk me while playing.

This should be possible

If you do see any issues in English please report them so we can fix them!

Please post here: 

It´s a shame the Portuguese translation!

I bought a game with my mother language and insted of Portuguese, i have 3 languages in my game...Portuguese, many words in Portuguese Brasilian and many words in English.

If someone go ahead to translated right 460,000 strings, he will spend the year doing just translation and not playing!

I feel robbed...

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, Eusébios said:

It´s a shame the Portuguese translation!

I bought a game with my mother language and insted of Portuguese, i have 3 languages in my game...Portuguese, many words in Portuguese Brasilian and many words in English.

If someone go ahead to translated right 460,000 strings, he will spend the year doing just translation and not playing!

I feel robbed...

Again if you feel there are issues with the translation, please raise it in the relevant thread here - https://community.sigames.com/topic/381482-portuguese-issues-in-portuguese-translation/

Thanks. 

40 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Again if you feel there are issues with the translation, please raise it in the relevant thread here - https://community.sigames.com/topic/381482-portuguese-issues-in-portuguese-translation/

Thanks. 

Neil, what if I translate just a few strings ? I know I have to go to Preferences / Overview / Language and then select the file which I translated, but then what will FM display ?

Also, I can't find the UTF-8 encoding within the saving options.

4 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

I honestly don't know, all the details are on the Steam forums here - http://steamcommunity.com/app/482730/discussions/0/282992646966918884/

Yes, I am following that guide, but it states to save using UTF-8 encoding without byte order marker, and there's no such option when clicking on save option.

Anyway thanks :)

@Neil Brock

Neil, I am one of the authors of this community translations, and I find a concerning problem that some translation content we have completed cannot display in the game.

For example, in the picture below there're two parts that we have translated ( I've checked all of our translation content) displaying in English.

Chinese.jpg

In the left red box, I find that "hire/fire first team manager" cannot display in Chinese. This string in the translation file is slightly different.

KEY-339719: Hires/fires First Team Manager[COMMENT: responsibilities, short description of responsibility, to be displayed in a table]
STR-1: 雇用/解约一线队教练

So the unnecessary "s" now blocks the translation to display normally. This content "Hires/fires" is actually used in English(us), but the game would consider it as in English(British).

in the right box,we have translated "Chairman" string but the game still display it in English. We have the same problems with other words like "attacking midfielder", "Striker". and so on.

Chinese chairman.jpg

If we use the Simplified_Chinese.ltc file (in  \Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2017\Languages) to replace the english(us).ltc file (in  \Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2017\data\languages), some translation can display normally but some translation still cannot display.

Could you fix that problem?

• SI Staff
5 hours ago, mildwall said:

@Neil Brock

Neil, I am one of the authors of this community translations, and I find a concerning problem that some translation content we have completed cannot display in the game.

For example, in the picture below there're two parts that we have translated ( I've checked all of our translation content) displaying in English.

Chinese.jpg

In the left red box, I find that "hire/fire first team manager" cannot display in Chinese. This string in the translation file is slightly different.

So the unnecessary "s" now blocks the translation to display normally. This content "Hires/fires" is actually used in English(us), but the game would consider it as in English(British).

in the right box,we have translated "Chairman" string but the game still display it in English. We have the same problems with other words like "attacking midfielder", "Striker". and so on.

Chinese chairman.jpg

If we use the Simplified_Chinese.ltc file (in  \Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2017\Languages) to replace the english(us).ltc file (in  \Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2017\data\languages), some translation can display normally but some translation still cannot display.

Could you fix that problem?

You should publish the file using the Steam Workshop not replacing the English (US) file as indicated in the opening post.

There are certain fixes that were made to English only and this is one but the translations will revert to the ones shown in your file. This should fix the "hire(s)/fire(s)" issue you are experiencing.

The other issues are relating to terms from the database (jobs/positions) where you will have to use the game editor to replace the original English with the translated term.

i was about to start the translation for my language, but in Portuguese Brazilian, we have gender articles, so  we can't translate "the" only to "O" or "A", because clubs with "A" articles would be wrong or "O" clubs would be wrong. There is a way to introduce via this language file that gender differentiation? I believe this would be a problem for many Latin-based languages there aren't in the game.

Hello,

I would love to help adding the Arabic language to the game, but we write our language from right to left, not like most European language from left to right. So the questions is: Will I be able to play the game in Arabic where all the text direction will be from right to left?

Thanks!

Mostafa

• SI Staff
On 10/11/2016 at 11:29, Scorpious said:

Hello,

I would love to help adding the Arabic language to the game, but we write our language from right to left, not like most European language from left to right. So the questions is: Will I be able to play the game in Arabic where all the text direction will be from right to left?

Thanks!

Mostafa

It will support this in as much as if the translations you create are written right-to-left it will display them right-to-left.

What is currently not possible is that dialog boxes for text entry that come up in game or text justification is going to to display in the way you would expect a right-to-left language to display

On 11/14/2016 at 12:21, Woodg SI said:

It will support this in as much as if the translations you create are written right-to-left it will display them right-to-left.

What is currently not possible is that dialog boxes for text entry that come up in game or text justification is going to to display in the way you would expect a right-to-left language to display

In the Hebrew translation we're doing, we write the words in the reverse order (last char will be first), in order to make it look well in the game UI.

In most cases, it works good. The problem is with line breaks - if the sentence is long, the game breaks the line in an incorrect place (because the sentence is written in reverse).

Any plan to add full support for RTL in the future?

• SI Staff
On 18/11/2016 at 17:39, asifycm said:

In the Hebrew translation we're doing, we write the words in the reverse order (last char will be first), in order to make it look well in the game UI.

In most cases, it works good. The problem is with line breaks - if the sentence is long, the game breaks the line in an incorrect place (because the sentence is written in reverse).

Any plan to add full support for RTL in the future?

We'll add this to our list of suggestions - thanks.

Would I be correct in saying that translations should be written like this...

KEY-227361: Could not process [%team#1-short] swap with [%team#2-short], one of these clubs may be extinct or invalid!
STR-1: Níorbh fhéidir [%team#1-short] a bhabhtáil le [%team#2-short], d'fhéadfadh ceann de na clubanna seo a bheith díothaithe nó neamhbhailí!

so...

KEY-227334: Group [%number#1][COMMENT - for example Group 1]
STR-1: Grúpa

would be incorrect?

Thank you.

Edited by gufcfan

There's a problem with the letter „ß“, when the game convert it automatically to capitals. For example:

KEY-227404: Hot Prospect
STR-1: Biggeßt Talent

LTF -> In-game:
Biggeßt Talent → BIGGEST  TALEN

Biggest_Talent.png

---

And here a problem without „ß“:

KEY-395314: Set Piece Role[COMMENT: set piece creator, label showing the role that the player is being asked to fill at a set piece]

STR-1: Aufgabe bei Standard

LTF --> In-Game
Aufgabe bei Standard → AUFGABS BEI STANDARD

Aufgabs.png

---

Maybe you can accommodate your LTF-LTC-Convertor :)

• SI Staff
On 28/11/2016 at 15:11, gufcfan said:

Would I be correct in saying that translations should be written like this...

KEY-227361: Could not process [%team#1-short] swap with [%team#2-short], one of these clubs may be extinct or invalid!
STR-1: Níorbh fhéidir [%team#1-short] a bhabhtáil le [%team#2-short], d'fhéadfadh ceann de na clubanna seo a bheith díothaithe nó neamhbhailí!

so...

KEY-227334: Group [%number#1][COMMENT - for example Group 1]
STR-1: Grúpa

would be incorrect?

Thank you.

That is correct. You can drop the COMMENT one but not the ones that include # (unless they are for feminisation and contain a pronoun)

8 hours ago, Woodg SI said:

That is correct. You can drop the COMMENT one but not the ones that include # (unless they are for feminisation and contain a pronoun)

Thank you. I've dropped the project again because the grammatical structure of my language isn't supported. It works ok for static menu items etc, but not for much else really.

• SI Staff
On 28/11/2016 at 15:11, gufcfan said:

18 hours ago, gufcfan said:

Thank you. I've dropped the project again because the grammatical structure of my language isn't supported. It works ok for static menu items etc, but not for much else really.

We're hoping to improve this moving forwards but when there's a language like Irish where even the beginning (and sometimes the ending) of the variable words (eclipsis and lenition) can change depending on case etc plus irregular plurals/different cardinal numbers for people/non-people and standalone it presents a different set of issues to overcome. 

• SI Staff
On 01/12/2016 at 06:11, Waldi98 said:

There's a problem with the letter „ß“, when the game convert it automatically to capitals. For example:

KEY-227404: Hot Prospect
STR-1: Biggeßt Talent

LTF -> In-game:
Biggeßt Talent → BIGGEST  TALEN

Biggest_Talent.png

---

And here a problem without „ß“:

KEY-395314: Set Piece Role[COMMENT: set piece creator, label showing the role that the player is being asked to fill at a set piece]

STR-1: Aufgabe bei Standard

LTF --> In-Game
Aufgabe bei Standard → AUFGABS BEI STANDARD

Aufgabs.png

---

Maybe you can accommodate your LTF-LTC-Convertor :)

Thanks for this report - I've been told this has been fixed for the next update

On 11/8/2016 at 17:38, Woodg SI said:

You should publish the file using the Steam Workshop not replacing the English (US) file as indicated in the opening post.

There are certain fixes that were made to English only and this is one but the translations will revert to the ones shown in your file. This should fix the "hire(s)/fire(s)" issue you are experiencing.

The other issues are relating to terms from the database (jobs/positions) where you will have to use the game editor to replace the original English with the translated term.

Hi,

I'm using the Editor to translate some Database values (Injuries, Clubs, Competitions, Stadiums) and all are working except of one table - Descriptions.

No matter what I'm doing, the Descriptions items (jobs, positions, etc) are always displays in English in my game, even if I edited the values in the Editor.

Am I missing something?

• SI Staff
On 10/12/2016 at 15:25, asifycm said:

Hi,

I'm using the Editor to translate some Database values (Injuries, Clubs, Competitions, Stadiums) and all are working except of one table - Descriptions.

No matter what I'm doing, the Descriptions items (jobs, positions, etc) are always displays in English in my game, even if I edited the values in the Editor.

Am I missing something?

These are translated in the text file. The database is only used where variation is needed due to case and/or gender.

So just search for the terms in the main file and translate them there.