Football Manager 2016 16.3.0 Feedback Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Followed by some less then good feedback.

SI are aware of the issues with crossing & Neil Brock even posted an acknowledgment in this thread stating why those issues could not be fixed for the final update without causing even more problems.

Sorry, just really bummed after it cost me some points two games in a row. I know you guys are looking into it.

One thing I will say, though, and I'm pretty sure I speak for at least 95% of the community - I'd rather there were no non-ME updates/new functions in the next version if it meant that more time could be dedicated to fixing the ME.

Sorry, just really bummed after it cost me some points two games in a row. I know you guys are looking into it.

One thing I will say, though, and I'm pretty sure I speak for at least 95% of the community - I'd rather there were no non-ME updates/new functions in the next version if it meant that more time could be dedicated to fixing the ME.

Considering the ME has its own dedicated team and has done for a long time, people need not worry about how SI divide time.

Considering the ME has its own dedicated team and has done for a long time, people need not worry about how SI divide time.

But you can understand the frustration of SI introducing new features and the like when there's still serious issues with the ME? That's the heart of the game.

But you can understand the frustration of SI introducing new features and the like when there's still serious issues with the ME? That's the heart of the game.

It's only because people make incorrect assumptions. That's why we correct it where we can. Paul C and his team are always on the ME. They have nothing to do with new features etc, unless it is ME related.

It is very frustrating having these crosses issues in the game, everytime a cross comes into my box, I have a feeling of dread :( I may have to just bite the bullet and go back to FM15 :(

I've had a look at your posting history and I don't see a single post asking for help/advice about your situation. Why is that? You can save yourself a lot of frustration if you provide enough information for the tactical guys to help you.

In general though, prevent crosses from coming in so if you can, put pressure on the wide men. Also be wary of having too high of a D-line.

I've had a look at your posting history and I don't see a single post asking for help/advice about your situation. Why is that? You can save yourself a lot of frustration if you provide enough information for the tactical guys to help you.

In general though, prevent crosses from coming in so if you can, put pressure on the wide men. Also be wary of having too high of a D-line.

Mainly because I don't post that often on this website. I do tend to read more than post. I admit I am not that great tactically but I am trying to learn.. I tend to go for a deeper D-line. I think the bug with the stadiums also slightly puts me off.

It's exactly the other way around, having a high D-line and high pressing is what stopped my sides from conceding too many from crosses. Beware that in certain games it will make you vulnerable to defenders getting dragged out of position though (which is a logical disadvantage and is rightly represented by the game), as well as direct balls played into behind your defender's backs.

Having players in the ML/MR positions also helps to some extent.

High line (with defenders quick enough to not get regularly done by through balls) works wonders, and I suspect setting to "always close down" and "show onto weaker foot" for opposition fullbacks and wingbacks makes a difference too.

Honestly, of all the possible flaws to have in a match engine, a slightly too high frequency of goals from crosses - one of the most frequent sources of goals IRL - is nowhere near game-breaking. The goals usually look realistic (though I'd like to see more where the player coming in on the back post has to really slide and stretch for it rather than reading the flight of the ball perfectly), there's a wide variety of ways of "exploiting" it using very conventional formations, and it doesn't seem to produce unexpected lopsided scorelines on a regular basis. Would much rather see this than fullbacks that stay wide and close down wingers effectively but leave yawning gaps for an easily-outnumbered central defence.

Based on my analysis the cross rate is between 40-60% higher than irl which is an issue for SI to address, the other & most important one is having AI manager being better able to tactically deal with crossing threats as they do struggle.

Between the crosses (which really annoy me) and the stadium capacity bug leaves a bad taste in my mouth, I really don't want to leave FM16 but it is hard to stick with it when I just have this feeling of dread everytime the ball goes into my box :(

HUNT3R has already suggested heading that you over to the tactics forum & I would second that advice, the crossing issue can be dealt with through sound tactical decisions & if you're unable to come up with a solution then help is available.

As an LLM stalwart the stadium expansion bug is annoying but can be dealt with before starting a new save via the pre-game editor & help in doing that is also available, not ideal but it does offer a workaround.

HUNT3R has already suggested heading that you over to the tactics forum & I would second that advice, the crossing issue can be dealt with through sound tactical decisions & if you're unable to come up with a solution then help is available.

As an LLM stalwart the stadium expansion bug is annoying but can be dealt with before starting a new save via the pre-game editor & help in doing that is also available, not ideal but it does offer a workaround.

Hi, i couldn't find a thread on the stadium workaround, would you mind pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks

The workaround is to remove the stadium requirements in the advanced rules section of pre-game editor, I'm sure one of the editor experts will be more than willing to help.

The alternative for those who have already purchased the in-game editor is to correct the error on the fly each season.

The editor crashes every time l try to verify advanced rules, and l steadfastly refuse to fork out for the IGE. There's a lot to like in FM16 but there are a significant number of flaws, which I've mentioned elsewhere in this thread and flagged up in the bugs section to no avail, and these flaws (this horrible stadium bug being the latest) prevent me from enjoying a save in the way l enjoyed FM15.

No amount of tactical tweaking is going to fix it. As it's a game bug. It's been acknowledged. Everyone knows it. The crosses on the 3D pitch aren't accurately represented in the match statistics (many of which are regarded as passes, not crosses but clearly are visually crosses in the animations). Attacking full backs are simply not closed down no matter what tactics or OI's you use.

For those wanting to go back to FM15. That's what I did but then I realised why I stopped playing it after the release of the final patch. FM16 is in a pretty bad state but it's still better than FM15 and it's ridiculous AI vs AI high scoring matches and the fact a centre half can comfortably end up as the Premier League top scorer. I'd only go back to FM15 if you want to play LLM (which is broken in FM16 to the point it's simply not worth playing). If your intention is to play in the top flight then stick with FM16 and just accept that the best players in the game are almost always right backs.

No amount of tactical tweaking is going to fix it. As it's a game bug. It's been acknowledged. Everyone knows it. The crosses on the 3D pitch aren't accurately represented in the match statistics (many of which are regarded as passes, not crosses but clearly are visually crosses in the animations). Attacking full backs are simply not closed down no matter what tactics or OI's you use.

For those wanting to go back to FM15. That's what I did but then I realised why I stopped playing it after the release of the final patch. FM16 is in a pretty bad state but it's still better than FM15 and it's ridiculous AI vs AI high scoring matches and the fact a centre half can comfortably end up as the Premier League top scorer. I'd only go back to FM15 if you want to play LLM (which is broken in FM16 to the point it's simply not worth playing). If your intention is to play in the top flight then stick with FM16 and just accept that the best players in the game are almost always right backs.

The two things in bold are not actually true. This is not the first time you tried to pass something incorrectly off as fact, so please refrain from doing so. You can actually mitigate both areas, how you do so complete varies on how you play, it's exactly what i did in my last save.

The two things in bold are not actually true. This is not the first time you tried to pass something incorrectly off as fact, so please refrain from doing so. You can actually mitigate both areas, it's exactly what i did in my last save.

So just to be clear. What season are you in? What league are you playing? Who have the highest average ratings in your league and what position do they play? Because EVERY game I've played ends up with the right back dominating the average rating stats and there being 7 or 8 right backs in the top 10 players of the year. This is primarily the Premier League.

So just to be clear. What season are you in? What league are you playing? Who have the highest average ratings in your league and what position do they play? Because EVERY game I've played ends up with the right back dominating the average rating stats and there being 7 or 8 right backs in the top 10 players of the year. This is primarily the Premier League.

Which save are you asking about, I've had 4 or 5 now.

Premier League, I believe My last save had Martial top the ratings, followed by Marco Reus (both mine) followed by Eden Hazard. The only right back in the top 10 was mine (Mario), the other full back in the top 10 being my left back Luke Shaw although interestingly Mario didnt actually have many cross assists (he did have a lot of key passes, which is something else I'm looking into because I dont believe that's accurate currently, at least compared to Opta's definition)

The problem with the crossing issue isn't just our games though. The main breakage for me is AI vs AI.

I'll check out the expansion bug fix, but I'm not interested if its only fixing the one team that I am managing. Again the main problem here for me isn't just my team but the fact it happens to all the AI teams as well.

Premier League, I believe My last save had Martial top the ratings, followed by Marco Reus (both mine) followed by Eden Hazard. The only right back in the top 10 was mine (Mario), the other full back in the top 10 being my left back Luke Shaw although interestingly Mario didnt actually have many cross assists (he did have a lot of key passes, which is something else I'm looking into because I dont believe that's accurate currently, at least compared to Opta's definition)

Well you're lucky then. Because I've had about 20 saves and every time the full backs end up dominating every single league I have running. Bellerin won player of the year 4 times in a row on one of my saves and the Ballon D'or.

I had a similar experience and I run all the leagues on Full Detail.

I had a similar experience and I run all the leagues on Full Detail.

Me too. Maybe this suggests the problem is intermittent and not affecting everyone. I got around it in my game by not playing full backs in the full back positions. Saido Berahino makes a pretty good left back! :lol:

The problem with the crossing issue isn't just our games though. The main breakage for me is AI vs AI.

I'll check out the expansion bug fix, but I'm not interested if its only fixing the one team that I am managing. Again the main problem here for me isn't just my team but the fact it happens to all the AI teams as well.

I've been very clear on the issues of AI managers being unable to make tactical adjustment that defend against the problems with crossing.

That's not the problem that we are attempting to guide H2D2 towards the help available to correct the issue they are having with his tactic.

That is also the worry, AI vs AI have no hope, I am guessing it is crossing central. I do get sick of the full backs scoring long shots from close to the byline and the ball going over the keepers head, I tend to see that type of goal at least 3/4 times a season (if not more!)

I didn't really notice in FM15 that the scores were that high, I do know that I used to love the game, I have racked up over 1200 hours on the game so it can't be that bad Lol :D

That is also the worry, AI vs AI have no hope, I am guessing it is crossing central. I do get sick of the full backs scoring long shots from close to the byline and the ball going over the keepers head, I tend to see that type of goal at least 3/4 times a season (if not more!)

I didn't really notice in FM15 that the scores were that high, I do know that I used to love the game, I have racked up over 1200 hours on the game so it can't be that bad Lol :D

Then perhaps play FM15? Unless you're going to take up the advice given to you, I don't think there is much to be said anymore

Then perhaps play FM15? Unless you're going to take up the advice given to you, I don't think there is much to be said anymore

Ok fair enough. I remember the good days when you were allowed to have your say on these forums. I have taken up the advice when I was playing FM16.

For those who are playing a save in the lower leagues and want to fix the stadium issue with the in-game editor:

Subscribe to all lower leagues and tick "Facilities updates"

You will now receive a news item about every club that does re-build/expand the stadium. With the in-game editor you can change the stadium capacity.

I know there is probably a specific section to do this in but I want to try to stick with FM16... is there a step by step guide in how to find where to change the stadium rules in the editor. I have never used it before.

I know there is probably a specific section to do this in but I want to try to stick with FM16... is there a step by step guide in how to find where to change the stadium rules in the editor. I have never used it before.

Load the file into the editor. (takes a while, because it is huge)

Click on a league/division

Select "Competition"

Scroll down until you see "Minimum stadium capacity" and "Minimum Stadium seating capacity"

Untick both.

I play in the Norwegian 1st division, in my editor, they are already not ticked but when I am in the game, it says in the rules minimum stadium capacity 1500.

Some rules are hard-coded. A work-around could be to tick and add the minimum stadium capacity to 500.

I find I can generally deal with AI crossing until they start overlapping their full backs, at which point my ML/R literally stand still while the overlap goes past them (as opposed to the ML/R picking up opposition wingers and the full backs switching onto the overlappers). At that point it's praying the midfield doesn't see that option.

I also struggle if the AI only uses full backs or wing backs as wide players, as my own full backs see no wingers and start tucking in, and my ML/R again ignore the AI full backs.

I am sure there are tactical ways to reduce the danger but there are such glaring fundamental issues too, and that's not even going into how poorly defenders in the box react to crosses. I can see why people are very frustrated.

I find I can generally deal with AI crossing until they start overlapping their full backs, at which point my ML/R literally stand still while the overlap goes past them (as opposed to the ML/R picking up opposition wingers and the full backs switching onto the overlappers). At that point it's praying the midfield doesn't see that option.

I also struggle if the AI only uses full backs or wing backs as wide players, as my own full backs see no wingers and start tucking in, and my ML/R again ignore the AI full backs.

I am sure there are tactical ways to reduce the danger but there are such glaring fundamental issues too, and that's not even going into how poorly defenders in the box react to crosses. I can see why people are very frustrated.

That's a pretty succint and accurate description of what I watched over many seasons, until I decided I was going to play a high line high pressing game every single match. I'd rather concede to direct balls due to it, or from defenders being dragged out of place by overeager pressing, because at least that's logical. What isn't logical is having a system that sits deep whilst designed to provide extra cover for the flanks, AND is blessed with towering centre-backs, and still concedes routinely from crosses.

But none of this is news anymore, SI are well aware of it for months and there's no point continuing to go over it.

Load the file into the editor. (takes a while, because it is huge)

Click on a league/division

Select "Competition"

Scroll down until you see "Minimum stadium capacity" and "Minimum Stadium seating capacity"

Untick both.

Why it is not enough to untick "Minimum Stadium seating capacity"?"Minimum stadium capacity" can stay or am I wrong?

Why it is not enough to untick "Minimum Stadium seating capacity"?"Minimum stadium capacity" can stay or am I wrong?

I think it depends on the league that you are running, for instance in Norway where I play (there is just a minimum stadium capacity) but yet say you run the English conference, they have rules on both Minimum Stadium seating capacity and Minimum stadium capacity.

I will tonight keep editing the rules and then I guess I have to start a brand new game.

I believe the problem is not so much the match engine but the 3D animation of the match engine, when keepers and defenders stand motionless and let forwards do what they want, the match engine probibly doesn't see it like that they may have been beaten by a delft touch or just muscled out but the animations don't show that. The 3D animations have not yet caught up with the ME, and I think that is why this version can be frustrating to watch

I believe the problem is not so much the match engine but the 3D animation of the match engine, when keepers and defenders stand motionless and let forwards do what they want, the match engine probibly doesn't see it like that they may have been beaten by a delft touch or just muscled out but the animations don't show that. The 3D animations have not yet caught up with the ME, and I think that is why this version can be frustrating to watch
This is indeed part of the problem, irl a defender will be turned inside & out by a skillful winger or you'll see them & keepers being put on the backside but these animations do not exist so all we see is a player wafting by the defender with apparent ease.

This is indeed part of the problem, irl a defender will be turned inside & out by an skillful winger or you'll see them & keepers being put on the backside but these animations do not exists so all we we see is a player wafting by the defender with apparent ease.

Animations can't possibly be the problem with attacking fullbacks being completely unmarked, or players rushing into the far post to tap in crosses also completely unmarked. It looks exactly the same in 2D as it does in 3D, by the way.

By contrast there's a serious lack of headed in goals by players beating their man directly in the air. The crossed goals are the vast majority taken home by unmarked players. This is a match engine imbalance, not animations. Because very different player attributes come into play, when you compare a 1vs1 situation in the air, and a situation where a player rushes to tap in a cross.

Animations can't possibly be the problem with attacking fullbacks being completely unmarked, or players rushing into the far post to tap in crosses also completely unmarked. It looks exactly the same in 2D as it does in 3D, by the way.

By contrast there's a serious lack of headed in goals by players beating their man directly in the air. The crossed goals are the vast majority taken home by unmarked players. This is a match engine imbalance, not animations. Because very different player attributes come into play, when you compare a 1vs1 situation in the air, and a situation where a player rushes to tap in a cross.

Nowhere is he suggesting that animations are the only issue in the engine noikeee... nor has anyone mentioned the issues you are talking about has anything to do with animation... it's this sort of thing that really irks me... users jumping to conclusions sometimes...

Barside merely stated that animation issues exist and add to the issues people are saying.

Fine, I still felt compelled to say that, because you often read other people (not Barside in the post I was replying to) in these forums claiming animations are the main issue with every bug, which also irks me when there's some cases like those where clearly that can't possibly be the main source of the issue.

I do understand they come into play when it's something like a 1vs1 of a player trying to dribble another (of which there aren't enough animation variations), or a player seemingly freezing after contact with another player, players not reacting in time in the box to seemingly easy uncontested balls, etc etc. But then some people read those posts about animations, and extrapolate that to "cover" for every imbalance or bug. For example, I've read it here plenty of times before of people saying the crossing problems are because there aren't enough "variation of crossing animations". That's a gross misrepresentation and oversimplification of the problem.

Archived