Football Manager 2016 16.3.0 Feedback Thread

so do we have a new patch 16.3.2 or what? srsly, its getting boring and painfully to watch now. I never play a version with so much obivious stupid thing like this year. THe fullback always have highest rating and made MOST mistake? how is that even possible? Football manager 2015 have good balance, idk why this game have so much problem

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sometimes you can't do anything, if the club owners want to bring in the money then they are free to do so because it's their club. As your own reputation increases the board will be under more pressure to meet your demands but until then you just have to get your head down & deal with the situation as best you can.

This happens to me too. I manage at LLM and none of the players are willing to turn pro, regardless of ability.

I had this clarified in the bug forum. They don't want to leave a youth contract for non-contract terms, and because they don't see themselves as good enough for rotation status or above, they aren't interested in a part time contract (as you can't offer back-up or youngster status on part time terms).

Once their youth deal nears its expiry, then they will discuss a contract. Not ideal as it leaves you open to having players poached.

I had this clarified in the bug forum. They don't want to leave a youth contract for non-contract terms, and because they don't see themselves as good enough for rotation status or above, they aren't interested in a part time contract (as you can't offer back-up or youngster status on part time terms).

Once their youth deal nears its expiry, then they will discuss a contract. Not ideal as it leaves you open to having players poached.

Really? Because this is happening to me with Scarborough, now in the National North. Most of my players are now on p/t contracts, not non-contract, and my youth players still steadfastly refuse to negotiate.

All I would add to that is that you should give the new update a thorough play-through and let us know what you think when you’ve had a chance to put it through its paces. That's what this thread is here for.

I've given it a thorough play through, and the ratio of crosses to goals is still ridiculous and has made the game unplayable for me. Played the same game twice to test the theory, a winger with 9 crossing gets 6 crossing assists (perfect crosses) across 2 matches with different tactics/pressing instructions.

Complete garbage, and this is somebody who sunk 960 hours into FM14. I wish I hadn't bothered with this one.

I'll be chucking a penny in a wishing well for this.

Still having an issue with manager reputation, took over at Newcastle in Championship, won the league then next season qualified for the Champions League and same season after + final of FA cup

Everton are 19th and sacked manager and don't even get an interview

Looking at my profile I am still 2 stars, surely should be higher than that

Assuming you're still at Newcastle maybe they unable or are unwilling to pay the required compensation.

As for the star value what does the description say & what was your starting rep?

positives of the game are the squad building, man management, ability to run a football club, I really enjoy these aspects of the game. The only negative I have with the game is anything to do with game day from the teamtalks to the tactics. It is a poor representation of real life and the AI is far too overpowered on FM16.

No idea where to put this.. but is there a general suggestions for future versions of the game thread?

There's the wishlist thread, on this same forum.

Anyway, is anyone else finding some of the news items in FM a bit tiresome and need some variation? Obviously this is far from game-breaking, but I really get fed up of reading about "ignominious" cup defeats each manager has suffered, especially when that manager has also won trophies or gained promotions, or done a decent overall job at the club. When Alex Ferguson retired, I don't remember reading anywhere about how he'd "suffered an ignominious cup defeat to York in 1995".

The same could be said for board interaction. I inherited a side at Christmas who were second from bottom. We were short of bodies and I made use of a young midfielder with little promise but appropriate attributes for what I needed at the time. He played fairly well in his ten or so games. We stayed up, in the close season I rebuilt, and then we won promotion. This young midfielder didn't play a single game for this promotion winning side and I released him at the end of the season. Six months on, we're on course for another promotion, but the board are still "disappointed" in me for releasing this player, "given his recent form", even though he hadn't played for the club for over a year when I released him, and results suggest my squad-building has been sound. Board and media could be greatly improved, at the moment I am often quite confused by it.

Really? Because this is happening to me with Scarborough, now in the National North. Most of my players are now on p/t contracts, not non-contract, and my youth players still steadfastly refuse to negotiate.

Because your youth players don't feel they are good enough for key player/first team/rotation status, so that only leaves non-contract terms available. They would rather the security of a youth contract, so they don't discuss terms.

Because your youth players don't feel they are good enough for key player/first team/rotation status, so that only leaves non-contract terms available. They would rather the security of a youth contract, so they don't discuss terms.

A-ha. Makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

Assuming you're still at Newcastle maybe they unable or are unwilling to pay the required compensation.

As for the star value what does the description say & what was your starting rep?

Hiya,

I have just over a year on contract so compensation should not be huge

My reputation is 2 out of 5 stars and decent and my past experience was professional footballer ( national level )

Just think its odd to not even get an interview

Any reason why other coaches/assistant managers etc are allowed to fund their own coaching badges but you as the manager can't?

I find that this is completely unrealistic and only serves to hinder your progress if you're at a club that repeatedly refuse to fund the courses for you.

Is this a bug?

GnPk1RQ.png

I've almost exclusively played Neves as a central midfielder (which he started off as 'accomplished' before I bought him) for 7 seasons in a row, that's well over half his football career and over 200 matches. Yet my coach is telling me he needs more experience to be able to play the role naturally? How long should it take? Surely by now he'd be a natural centre mid. There's a few other players this is happening with too, whereas some other players have become naturals fairly quickly - what's stopping Neves?

He's been set to centre mid training his entire Liverpool career.

Every single game I have more shots, way more clear cut chances and yet I never seem to score. The AI has one attack and scores. I can accept every so often but this is happening every single game. Why is there conversion of chances rate not even slightly higher but far, far higher than mine?

Whilst this is a neat goal, still playing like this?

What about this goal I just scored? Those who are content with the way the game is made need to make more noise and this example of a good team goal is fantastic. My very first friendly and only Sinkgraven didn't touch the ball in the build up which I'm gutted about!

[video=youtube;44ImpLEge_I]

Hit stop at 0:28 and watch where your defenders are and your midfielders. Not sure if you've ever watched football from the stands in a stadium, but have you ever seen something like this if so you did? There should be actually more punishment for this outside of individual frustration (and there might be in a coming iteration, fingers crossed), we went a bit into that on the last page and previous. To be more precise, it would be a poorly sim of football if there wasn't any soft goals in there already as is.

One thing I can tell though is that even at totally-desperate-to-score-a-goal gung-ho, no AI team ever looks like that. That is outside of tactical AI bugs. In fact AI teams/managers oft have/employ multiple hold position players very readily who rather than pushing forward from their default position, actually keep it and stay deep.

This may not be feedback as such, but more something that's been bugging me for a while - where do shots that are neither on nor off target in the game's statistics go? They aren't woodwork shots either.

This may not be feedback as such, but more something that's been bugging me for a while - where do shots that are neither on nor off target in the game's statistics go? They aren't woodwork shots either.

They're blocked.

I've not really got any evidence to back it up but I feel that defenders win the ball back too easily when a striker is through on goal, the defender will slide in from behind (not through the player) and win the ball when IRL the defender brings him down or just doesn't get near the player at all.

Whilst this is a neat goal, still playing like this?

Hit stop at 0:28 and watch where your defenders are and your midfielders. Not sure if you've ever watched football from the stands in a stadium, but have you ever seen something like this if so you did? There should be actually more punishment for this outside of individual frustration (and there might be in a coming iteration, fingers crossed), we went a bit into that on the last page and previous. To be more precise, it would be a poorly sim of football if there wasn't any soft goals in there already as is.

One thing I can tell though is that even at totally-desperate-to-score-a-goal gung-ho, no AI team ever looks like that. That is outside of tactical AI bugs. In fact AI teams/managers oft have/employ multiple hold position players very readily who rather than pushing forward from their default position, actually keep it and stay deep.

I'm not sure your reasoning for bringing this back up as it was posted a while ago, but to answer your question: I always play with one holding midfielder (usually a deep lying playmaker), one attack minded full back and one more defensively minded full back. If i'm in control of a game but maybe want to take the reigns off and batter a team I use TIs to encourage my full backs to push on if I don't think I'm in danger of conceding (as in this instance).

As for you asking if I ever watch football IRL yes I do, I was at the Newcastle game yesterday where Tottenham got it horribly wrong against 10 men. But i also watched Barcelona v Granada the other day on Sky and I don't think you ever see more than two centre halves and if he remembers busquets holding defensive positions - I don't think Alba or Alves care much for defensive positioning. Granada did not have enough quality to hit Barca on the break and I'd argue this was the same for RBC when playing against me in this game for Ajax.

Styles of play are entirely up to the person playing the game.

Once again, AI manager appointments. Mental.

Doncaster, in League 2, have appointed Jason Goodliffe as manager. Goodliffe has no previous experience of playing in the football league, he has spent his playing career scuffing around at Hayes and suchlike. He has never managed at any level, but has been one of those journeyman assistants at non-league clubs (most notably Lincoln). Prior to his Doncaster appointment he was assistant manager at Harrogate, who are mid-table in the Vanarama North. Harrogate are managed by Robbie Fowler (yes, that Robbie Fowler).

Upon taking his job at Doncaster, Goodliffe persuades Fowler to leave his managerial role and become Goodliffe's coach at Doncaster. Basically, a FL club has appointed a non-league number 2 as manager, who has then brought his former manager, with a much higher profile and experience, with him as a coach. This is pretty terrible.

I don't have a save from prior to this sadly, but I've submitted saves about this issue from very early on and it's still working very poorly on many levels. I really hope this is amended for FM17, it may not be game-breaking but it kills immersion greatly.

I'm not sure your reasoning for bringing this back up as it was posted a while ago, but to answer your question: I always play with one holding midfielder (usually a deep lying playmaker), one attack minded full back and one more defensively minded full back. If i'm in control of a game but maybe want to take the reigns off and batter a team I use TIs to encourage my full backs to push on if I don't think I'm in danger of conceding (as in this instance).

It's not the role it's the duty. If nobody is holding position/staying deep, there are no outlets for ball retention, all a team could play were forward passes which leads to cul-de-sacs as eventually players are forced to finish with no back passes on anymore outside of centre backs like 1000 yards away (playing those would be illogically and risky). Even Pep at his very risky at least has had typically Alonso actually sitting rather than pushing up. Shot counts purely statistically are always inflated in such matches anyway as underdogs drop off and so much play happens in one half by default, there will be multiple set pieces, comparably low conversion chances as the boxes are totally packed. To exaggerate make that +1 shot for each corner and free kick etc. Additionally unlike in the vid above, any opposing manager may start with or switch to multiple forwards, which means it's not merely one forward but multiple ones who upon intercepting would immediately force the centre backs isolated and without any protection into one on ones, or even outnumber them (can be 2 but up to three in FM).

Usually statements like "opponent always scores from one shot" are exaggerated if you take a look at the save. It's cherry picking the matches where this happens. You may opt to play in such a way, but it would be a poorly match sim if there wouldn't be soft goals in there. That was the reasoning for bringing this up, as whilst nobody knows provided by the most previous post, it's really the only way to regularly concede from pitifully little attempts. One-off anything is possible. Another would be to field wildly creative formations, or apply "specific marking" in ways that grants the opposition a free route goalside during each spell of possession (there was additionally a bug in there previous, not sure if they have had that fixed).

Every single game I have more shots, way more clear cut chances and yet I never seem to score. The AI has one attack and scores. I can accept every so often but this is happening every single game. Why is there conversion of chances rate not even slightly higher but far, far higher than mine?

Additionally it would be poor if when teams would play such cautious they wouldn't make it harder for forwards to score. Whether AI teams play too cautiously too readily, now that's another thing. In my opinion yes. Outside of exploits and/or really wild runs, say Leicester on FM wouldn't happen as AI managers on FM very readily always have 5-6 players on defend duty sitting behind the ball all match. Playing online against human players..... it's an altogether different game. Human players are as openly if not moreso on average as AI Wenger is against Bournemouth at the Emirates when he's desperate to grab a goal as a baseline default.

There won't be proper punishment for the whole team going forward and getting counter attacked until striker finishing is fixed. You can get counter attacked a lot in the game but its rarely anything to worry about if your opponents can rarely score from them, as i showed in the previous page.

Yes, I'm less afraid of the opposition striker going 1 on 1 against my GK than when their fullback is preparing to cross. Likewise, I don't get excited when my strikers fail to finish a 1 on 1 because that's not the sort of chances that mean much on the current ME. Sure, you can score from them, too, but other ways are much more powerful.

I don't think one on one conversion in generally has ever been hugely off. One on ones have been targeted in isolation since god knows when, and there's people who are of the (valid) opinion that they should be converted at impossibly rates. But FM tries to be a bit like football where a one on one from open play arguably is the consistently most overvalued attempt there is due to the drama unfolding (all data suggests that the keeper typically able to anticipate and closing off angles has the edge every time and player quality doesn't make that comically a diff). It's people's perception playing tricks, i.e. defending wide has issues and it's not only myth it has been officially acknowledged, so every time there is an attack going down wide and a cross on you're shaking already even though crossing accuracy in FM is actually lower than in real football. Though it would be interesting to hear the ME team's thoughts on one on ones in generally. Really liked Silver's video post on the last page though as typically it is then suggested that it would be only YOUR forwards who would miss chances whilst your opposition would score readily from anything, see above. Somebody complaining about not being punished, this has to be historical first ever. :-D

As for playing openly vs. the AI who has like 5, 6 defend duties readily, it's not only direct counters that lead to one on ones either. It's nobody getting dragged all over the pitch ever and teams losing the shape of their defensive spine such, as everybody who makes a forward run is eventually covered by somebody else. That's what is visibly happening. Full back bombs forward and no cover in front of the defense, the cb is dragged upon the interception everywhere, including those wide areas vacated. Vice versa against like 5 defend duties you're always running into brick walls of players on each interception. You arrive at the box and it's always packed on each and every single attempt. Your opponent vice versa would readily break into space right there. That has a big effect on the play and on conversion and it should have. The issue is then though that for some reason people can get away with zero holding mids ever with poorly teams (check the download sections too) and not merely get away with it, but actually hugely overperform. It might be something generally about one on ones, or at least a certain type of it. It might be something about defenses easily overloaded to the point that they don't even get a foot in there anymore. It might be something else, like AI routines not being able to register this and simply have some forwards sitting up top to belt the ball to eventually and wreak some additionally havoc. More likely it's a combination of the above plus something that isn't registered by much of anyone in here quite yet.

Whatever it is, fingers crossed it's at least getting acknowledged and being targeted.

It's not the role it's the duty. If nobody is holding position/staying deep, there are no outlets for ball retention, all a team could play were forward passes which leads to cul-de-sacs as eventually players are forced to finish with no back passes on anymore outside of centre backs like 1000 yards away (playing those would be illogically and risky). Even Pep at his very risky at least has had typically Alonso actually sitting rather than pushing up. Shot counts purely statistically are always inflated in such matches anyway as underdogs drop off and so much play happens in one half by default, there will be multiple set pieces, comparably low conversion chances as the boxes are totally packed. To exaggerate make that +1 shot for each corner and free kick etc. Additionally unlike in the vid above, any opposing manager may start with or switch to multiple forwards, which means it's not merely one forward but multiple ones who upon intercepting would immediately force the centre backs isolated and without any protection into one on ones, or even outnumber them (can be 2 but up to three in FM).

Usually statements like "opponent always scores from one shot" are exaggerated if you take a look at the save. It's cherry picking the matches where this happens. You may opt to play in such a way, but it would be a poorly match sim if there wouldn't be soft goals in there. That was the reasoning for bringing this up, as whilst nobody knows provided by the most previous post, it's really the only way to regularly concede from pitifully little attempts. One-off anything is possible. Another would be to field wildly creative formations, or apply "specific marking" in ways that grants the opposition a free route goalside during each spell of possession (there was additionally a bug in there previous, not sure if they have had that fixed).

Additionally it would be poor if when teams would play such cautious they wouldn't make it harder for forwards to score. Whether AI teams play too cautiously too readily, now that's another thing. In my opinion yes. Outside of exploits and/or really wild runs, say Leicester on FM wouldn't happen as AI managers on FM very readily always have 5-6 players on defend duty sitting behind the ball all match. Playing online against human players..... it's an altogether different game. Human players are as openly if not moreso on average as AI Wenger is against Bournemouth at the Emirates when he's desperate to grab a goal as a baseline default.

Well I finished 3rd with Leicester and going into the final game of the season I had a chance to win the league, so I must be doing something right.

Well I finished 3rd with Leicester and going into the final game of the season I had a chance to win the league, so I must be doing something right.

Certainly, but also likely not by trying to hit them on the break, as you readily aren't offered such anymore if you don't do data edits to each AI manager as well as clubs, but it looks like via overloading (not talking about the mentality, mind, but the movement structure you set via the duties). That was the initial question, not generally success, but chance conversion for/against. This would be perfectly logical and the answer to your question asked. Push lots of people up=any opponent may find it easy/er to score from the few he has. Do the opposite, the opposite applies. There's something in the middle for each, and generally I think most would refer to that as a "balanced approach" or tactics.

Certainly, but also likely not by trying to hit them on the break, as you readily aren't offered such anymore if you don't do data edits to each AI manager as well as clubs, but it looks like via overloading (not talking about the mentality, mind, but the movement structure you set via the duties). That was the initial question, not generally success, but chance conversion for/against. This would be perfectly logical and the answer to your question asked. Push lots of people up=any opponent may find it easy/er to score from the few he has. Do the opposite, the opposite applies. There's something in the middle for each, and generally I think most would refer to that as a "balanced approach" or tactics.

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but I'm having real difficulty understanding what on earth you're on about...

The rep system is badly skewed. Due to the horrible stadium bug I've had to buy the IGE, and can now see my own rep as it grows and assess it against the rep of other managers.

I started at the very bottom of the non-league system and worked upwards. Sunday League, no coaching badges. It therefore stands to reason that my rep will be low. I've now worked myself up to Vanarama National level within six years and stayed there comfortably, so naturally my rep has grown significantly. Nonetheless, when I applied for the Bury job (only 9 league places ahead of me at the minute), they appoint Lee Morris, a non-league player with no managerial experience and was assistant at Shaw Lane Aquaforce. Having checked his rep, his is significantly higher than mine. This, surely, shouldn't be the case? Horrible save-ruining stuff.

The rep system is badly skewed. Due to the horrible stadium bug I've had to buy the IGE, and can now see my own rep as it grows and assess it against the rep of other managers.

I started at the very bottom of the non-league system and worked upwards. Sunday League, no coaching badges. It therefore stands to reason that my rep will be low. I've now worked myself up to Vanarama National level within six years and stayed there comfortably, so naturally my rep has grown significantly. Nonetheless, when I applied for the Bury job (only 9 league places ahead of me at the minute), they appoint Lee Morris, a non-league player with no managerial experience and was assistant at Shaw Lane Aquaforce. Having checked his rep, his is significantly higher than mine. This, surely, shouldn't be the case? Horrible save-ruining stuff.

Why shouldn't it be the case? You've started from the bottom, like you said, so will have been assigned a tiny rep. Lee Morris didn't, and has been assigned a rep in the database. He played non-league football, you played Sunday League. It makes perfect sense to me that he'd have a higher rep. Whether that should entitle him to jobs over you is another subject, but rep usually trumps all in FM.

I wasn't shortlisted for the job whilst managing a club a few places down the league system. Russell Slade, who never played, had a similar career trajectory. A non-league manager who has over achieved should have a higher rep than a non league player who has never managed anybody. I accept the point that l am a footballing nonentity, l accept this as the reason why l don't get offered the Barcelona job, but if the club l support ignored an application from a successful manager at a lower tier in favour of a non-league player who coached at Step 7, and then justified that decision by saying this person played for Frickley and is therefore more experienced, I'd be pretty peeved.

IMO manager appointments made by the AI have been poor in FM16, regardless of whether it's a job l want or not.

I wasn't shortlisted for the job whilst managing a club a few places down the league system. Russell Slade, who never played, had a similar career trajectory. A non-league manager who has over achieved should have a higher rep than a non league player who has never managed anybody. I accept the point that l am a footballing nonentity, l accept this as the reason why l don't get offered the Barcelona job, but if the club l support ignored an application from a successful manager at a lower tier in favour of a non-league player who coached at Step 7, and then justified that decision by saying this person played for Frickley and is therefore more experienced, I'd be pretty peeved.

IMO manager appointments made by the AI have been poor in FM16, regardless of whether it's a job l want or not.

Just keep in mind that you were employed so Bury would have needed to pay compensation. That will factor into the decision-making.

That's a fair point, although surely they would've given me this reason when refusing to shortlist?

Regardless of my career in this save I've noticed a few clubs paying compensation for managers who still have a disproportionately high rep, for example in this save Middlesbrough paid Crystal Palace compo so they could appoint Lee Skyme, a coach for Palace's under 18 setup with no discernable playing or management career, as manager. Whether it's a job l want or not, it does throw me out of the immersion when seemingly random people are appointed to management jobs on an unrealistic level. Take as example my post regarding Doncaster appointing Jason Goodliffe earlier in this thread. I hope it's improved upon in a big way for FM17.

That's a fair point, although surely they would've given me this reason when refusing to shortlist?

Regardless of my career in this save I've noticed a few clubs paying compensation for managers who still have a disproportionately high rep, for example in this save Middlesbrough paid Crystal Palace compo so they could appoint Lee Skyme, a coach for Palace's under 18 setup with no discernable playing or management career, as manager. Whether it's a job l want or not, it does throw me out of the immersion when seemingly random people are appointed to management jobs on an unrealistic level. Take as example my post regarding Doncaster appointing Jason Goodliffe earlier in this thread. I hope it's improved upon in a big way for FM17.

I have seen news items pop up about compensation being an issue for a club, but AFAIK, it doesn't always appear and it's a news item and not a message from that club. I agree that it would be nice to maybe get reasons as to why you weren't chosen for an interview. There isn't even money to buy players in non-league, nevermind managers, so I'm sure that would have been a big factor. I have no idea about the reps and the hired manager's rep being higher than yours though.

You're also talking about bigger clubs here. Clubs who could afford compensation. However, if you believe another club appointed a coach/manager and paying an unrealistic amount of compensation, I'm sure a bug report on it would be greatly appreciated.

I have logged a few bugs regarding the odd choices of AI managers (and regardless of compensation, Bury appointing Lee Morris is just too weird), but for this save I turned off the weekly autosave as it was taking too much game time and I wanted to get fully immersed in an FM16 save without feeling the need to check for oddities / potential bugs all over the place. If it'll help SI tighten this area up in time for FM17 I'll be happy to continue sending bug reports as opposed to moaning in this forum, for sure, but I do seem to be the only person in this feedback forum who has noticed these odd quirks.

I have logged a few bugs regarding the odd choices of AI managers (and regardless of compensation, Bury appointing Lee Morris is just too weird), but for this save I turned off the weekly autosave as it was taking too much game time and I wanted to get fully immersed in an FM16 save without feeling the need to check for oddities / potential bugs all over the place. If it'll help SI tighten this area up in time for FM17 I'll be happy to continue sending bug reports as opposed to moaning in this forum, for sure, but I do seem to be the only person in this feedback forum who has noticed these odd quirks.

SI will be very grateful for the reports. Even if us users do not notice it, SI probably does anyway so they keep an eye out for it. Even more so with your reports, alerting them to a possible issue (if they were not aware of it before) so it definitely isn't for nothing.

If it'll help SI tighten this area up in time for FM17 I'll be happy to continue sending bug reports as opposed to moaning in this forum, for sure, but I do seem to be the only person in this feedback forum who has noticed these odd quirks.

They're the ones that absolutely need to be reported IMO. The ones that loads of people report are probably already known by SI, but it's the little ones that are pretty well hidden that need to be reported. I wouldn't worry if you're the only one noticing it, still worth checking with SI

I wish the AI could manage players better when it takes them away from me for international games, I get way too many injuries when they're away and I'm pretty sure it's all from overplaying them.

Problem:

Training feedback is confusing with respect to workload.

The *feedback* on training workload is confusing. I have just spent about 5 minutes tampering with training options and am still unsure what the overall workload is for each player and what the partial workload for each training option (ie, contribution of team training + individual training) is.

There is "workload" feedback on the individual training screen and on the player->development->training screen. However, what does it take into account? Does it take into account team training?

Maybe I will figure it out in the end, but you definitely need to find a way to present the workload contribution of partial elements in a clear manner. I seem to remember the situation being better in FM14.

Proposed solution:

On the individual training screen AND on the player->development->training screen I want to see *2* workloads.

a) An "Individual Training Workload" showing how heavy the individual training contributions are. And

b) An "Overall Workload for the player" showing (Individual Training + Team Training) workload.

This should clear it up.

Anyone else who cant send assistent anymore to the press conferences??

Do you have an assistant manager?

Have you made a promise to the board to improve your media handling ability?

Archived