Motivations for who you manage...

BnadnerB

I see generally a lot of threads in here are for the biggest teams in the game and have many people playing as them, I know there are lower league threads seperate etc, I was just wondering what are the motivations for starting off at a lower level?

Would you say its a much better experience than taking control of your favourite team or one of Europe's elite?

Much more of a challenge. My brother is crap at football manager. And always just manages as City or Chelsea as all he does is buys the best players. Where as I enjoy a challenge so always have a save with Brentford who I support. And enjoy playing as Shahkter Soligorsk in Belarus toppling Bate and chsllenging in Europe. And then always pick another couple random Saves.

It's normally just on a whim for me. Was speaking with a couple of mates the other night and got to talking about how good Wolfsburg's squad is, but that they've never really pushed on to become a force.

Inspired me to take them on and try to establish some dominance in Germany. Really good fun and probably the most fun I've had on FM since a couple of years back.

I can't manage Spurs, though, despite supporting them. If I lose I get WAAAYYY too frustrated. That never happens in non-partisan saves.

In fifteen years and varying iterations of the game I am still yet to have either a career or a lower-league management file. I have wanted to for years, but I am a one-club manager and tend to find options each year that keep me interested at the upper end of the spectrum. As an Arsenal fan, that takes up a file as standard, and my other preferences have historically been the Eredivisie and Bundesliga, occasionally Serie A, La Liga and the Ukraine.

I seem to have a plethora of options in FM15. I have started as Arsenal to introduce myself to the game, but would really like a file with Wolfsburg, or to return to the aborted FM14 files with Roma and Feyenoord. Then there is Newcastle - my home town - and the chance to bring success to a city starved of it. Or possibly even making giants of local clubs Gateshead or Blyth Spartans, finally trying that LLM file?

Generally I am not interested in managing the big clubs with big budgets (other than Arsenal), preferring medium-sized clubs with an aim to overthrow the dominant forces of that country (for example choosing Vorskla in the Ukraine, with a remit to defeat Dynamo Kiev and Shakhtar). Where I do choose better clubs (say, Ajax) it is with an aim of taking success on to the European stage.

That one Manchester United save I do every year, and normally I'd be quite focused on that. If I do get bored, I'll just start a journeyman save going around the world in any country I find amusing and trying to win everything there before moving onto another country. Usually I don't win much or I get sick of it and go back to my United save.

Me and my cousin discuss our saves, what we do is we choose a team we can both manage on our laptops and then build from there. The usual things we discuss are how challenging it will be, for example we always start a spurs save as we support them. and usually choose a team in greece, germany and france.

then at the end of every season we discuss our signings etc etc.

its interesting to see how we manage success with different tactics and signings.

Its the reason we love this game. Nothing is ever the same

i like to go for teams with relatively big stadiums, saves me having to convince the board to expand them later on. eg aachen is in fourth tier and has 32,000 seater, or skeid or lyn in norway both in 3rd tier have 15,000 seater. a decent squad to start with is always a bonus.

Liverpool is my standard go to save, but over the years I have played with:

Portsmouth, back in their PL days

Shakhtar, buying as much Brazilian talent as I could and trying to get as far in CL as i could

Man City, post-Shinawatra buy out where they had a crappy squad but a lot of money!

Those random games have been some of the most enjoyable saves I had, having Bogdan Stancu and Fred up front with Celso Borges behind them in my Man City game was particularly fun!

I started with Man Utd on this years just to get used to it but I always do a Zenit save. It sounds daft but I like managing teams in cities that I have been to and St Petersburg is probably the nicest city Ive been to. Of course it helps that they are the powerhouse club in Russia and are moving to a 60000 capacity stadium in 2 years time!

A good idea i had a few years ago was to only manage teams who have sacked their coaches that season. For me it makes the game more realistic as you are picking only teams that have changed managers whilst keeping everything else as is. Most years you can get some good saves going, this year for example you've got a choice of Inter, Real Sociedad, Schalke, Stuttgart, Hamburg, Galatasary and Fulham.

Good facilities especially for youth development in a lower league club. My usual goal is to supply a full starting eleven to the national side and do the CL and World Cup double. the closest I've come has been in 2012 with Pro Vercelli; I was regularly supplying twelve our thirteen players to Italy, but Massimo Allegri's results were so good I never had the chance to manage Italy myself. This year I'll be trying with Cadiz until the release of some databases that enable French and Italian regional leagues.

I started at Cheltenham Town because even though I'm a US citizen, I lived there for 6 months, and I thought it would be good for me to learn to be a manager in the lower leagues. It has been unbelievably gratifying to be their manager for 13 seasons, that last two of which I've won the Champions League, FA Cup, and Premier League. I think I'd start in the lower leagues in all saves from now on. Winning the trophies was fun, but even more fun has been nagging my board into eventually upgrading my training and youth facilities to superb (and best level in all the other youth categories), and getting one potentially world class regen in each of the last two youth intakes. Now I can't leave The Robins until I see how my regens develop and fare in the Premier League. My first potentially world class regen did score 2 goals in his first Capital Cup One Cup match including one incredible half-volley from a throw in. Fun stuff!

I normally start with either Palace or AC Milan, then go from there.

Palace as I support them, and always enjoyed trying to get them into the Prem then the challenge of staying up with a low budget.

Milan as they're my favorite foreign side. Has been more enjoyable in recent years due to their decline.

After that I usually pick saves from teams I come across in game and take my fancy, last year I had 2 fun, long term saves with Wolves (getting them up to the Prem and into europe) and Sporting Lisbon (lots of quality homegrown players coming through constantly, not a big budget compared to Porto/Benfica).

Have also tried games like Portsmouth (a few years back when their squad was all on short term contracts), a few journeyman saves starting unemployed and a few saves in countries like China, Australia and the US.

Ultimately though I know that the european saves will hold me attention better, but each year its usually a different side that becomes my favourite.

I think this shows the huge variety in FM motivation people have. Except for a short getting to know the game save, I never start with a big team (top 4 etc) in one of the best leagues. I just think that winning CL with teams like Chelsea or Madrid is no challenge whatsoever, at least its not impressive if someone does. In that aspect the game is still to easy, but thats fair enough, everybody has their way of playing. I like long-term saves, playing now with Shrewsbury Town. Been promoted from League 2 and in position to get back-to-back promotion into the Championship now (bit unrealistic to be honest). The save is finished when I win the CL and PL as after that there is no challenge anymore. Its great that people play the game differently, but I think a lot of people are missing out not coaching teams in lower leagues, as I personally think that really shows what a great game FM is (personally I havent coached enough LLM in smaller European countries, will look to do it this year). The feeling when you produce academy players in small clubs and taking them with you to the CL is priceless!

I think this shows the huge variety in FM motivation people have. Except for a short getting to know the game save, I never start with a big team (top 4 etc) in one of the best leagues. I just think that winning CL with teams like Chelsea or Madrid is no challenge whatsoever, at least its not impressive if someone does. In that aspect the game is still to easy, but thats fair enough, everybody has their way of playing. I like long-term saves, playing now with Shrewsbury Town. Been promoted from League 2 and in position to get back-to-back promotion into the Championship now (bit unrealistic to be honest). The save is finished when I win the CL and PL as after that there is no challenge anymore. Its great that people play the game differently, but I think a lot of people are missing out not coaching teams in lower leagues, as I personally think that really shows what a great game FM is (personally I havent coached enough LLM in smaller European countries, will look to do it this year). The feeling when you produce academy players in small clubs and taking them with you to the CL is priceless!

I had a game with Gateshead on last years FM. I got 3 seasons into it and got them as high as th eplayoffs in League 2 but I stopped playing for a while and couldnt get back into it. May give them another go on this version.

I had a game with Gateshead on last years FM. I got 3 seasons into it and got them as high as th eplayoffs in League 2 but I stopped playing for a while and couldnt get back into it. May give them another go on this version.

You should give it a another go. Get that Premier League trophy back where it belongs, Gateshead International Stadium (really strange name)!

Normally, the saves that I actually get beyond pre-season are with teams that I have an emotional connection to (Manchester United, England). However my last full save was with Shakhtar Donetsk, had a really enjoyable 4 seasons with them despite never managed in Ukraine before. Have started many, many saves but got nowhere with the vast majority of them.

At the moment, I'm wondering how to approach my new save to get myself back into the game. I've had a long break from the game (Shakhtar save was on FM 2011, had a few aborted saves since). Also fell out of love with Football itself for a while, but I can't stay away. Don't know whether to go for English league for some familiarity, or go abroad for something new. I really do want to manage outside England, but it might be better to start in England first. I'm not really sure, any ideas would be really appreciated (have posted in what team? thread)

Reviving sleeping Giants is the biggest appeal for me. Currently playing as AEK Athens and loving the challenge of not only overthrowing Olympiakos domestically but trying to take them into European competition and winning a title there too.

Normally, the saves that I actually get beyond pre-season are with teams that I have an emotional connection to (Manchester United, England). However my last full save was with Shakhtar Donetsk, had a really enjoyable 4 seasons with them despite never managed in Ukraine before. Have started many, many saves but got nowhere with the vast majority of them.

At the moment, I'm wondering how to approach my new save to get myself back into the game. I've had a long break from the game (Shakhtar save was on FM 2011, had a few aborted saves since). Also fell out of love with Football itself for a while, but I can't stay away. Don't know whether to go for English league for some familiarity, or go abroad for something new. I really do want to manage outside England, but it might be better to start in England first. I'm not really sure, any ideas would be really appreciated (have posted in what team? thread)

I'm fascinated by the really early days of organized football. My longest-term save is a FM2012 game with Pro Vercelli, back when they were in Serie D. Pro Vercelli were founded in the early 1890s and won seven Italian titles between 1908 and 1922. Bringing them back to the pinnacle of world competition had some appeal. I did something similar in 2014 with Racing Club Paris, founded in 1882, Ligue 2 champions in 1986 who are now in the semi-professional regional leagues, I think the sixth tier of French football.

So for me early saves are all about learning mechanics. I've had a lot of fun with the Aston Villa tycoon save; you don't get a first transfer window, the team is bad and might be relegated, and you have tons of money but not enough reputation to really draw stars. It's a good save for noodling at things and figurin' stuff out. Then, when the really dedicated people have put together databases that go ten to twelve levels deep in particular countries, I'll find a truly fallen giant, some club that was great in the early, amateur days of the sport.

If you want to stay in England for familiarity but also want to go outside England, why not something like Scotland? Dunbarton seem like a really nifty club; the first Scottish champions, and the only former champions never to play in the Scottish Premier League. Or, if you want a faster job, Rangers are waiting to challenge Celtic again. Either way, United have a tradition of taking Scottish managers; maybe if you could win a few SPLs you'll be next. Just find a challenge that seems fun and interesting - I'll be trying for the same starting XI domestic league/European league/international championship treble again this year.

Thanks for the ideas! I've only managed in the Scottish leagues once (despite living in Scotland for my whole life), that was with Hearts back on FM 2007 (I think). Got them to win the league championship and quarter-finals of UEFA Cup (as it was then) in first season, but didn't continue on afterwards (can't remember why!). Will make sure to manage there again at some point, trying to break the dominance of Old Firm (my Dad is a Rangers supporter, but I'm not very keen on them)

I was looking through the list of leagues in Europe, and decided on France. Not just because of their footballing history, but also because the 1998 World Cup was my first time watching Football. I remember watching the games on the TV in my Nan's house, and being fascinated. Not only that, but my first Football video games were Road to World Cup 98/World Cup 98 (still have both them on PS1!). So the World Cup in France got me into Football.

I decided upon Lyon, because they're a reasonably big club who have had some success (remember them always getting to last 16 of Champions League.) Yet they're not the current favourites, and it'll be nice to try and PSG :) I briefly thought about Stade de Reims (first European Cup finalists), but I thought Lyon would be better for getting my back into Football Manager after so long.

Thanks again

I'm fascinated by the really early days of organized football. My longest-term save is a FM2012 game with Pro Vercelli, back when they were in Serie D. Pro Vercelli were founded in the early 1890s and won seven Italian titles between 1908 and 1922. Bringing them back to the pinnacle of world competition had some appeal. I did something similar in 2014 with Racing Club Paris, founded in 1882, Ligue 2 champions in 1986 who are now in the semi-professional regional leagues, I think the sixth tier of French football.

So for me early saves are all about learning mechanics. I've had a lot of fun with the Aston Villa tycoon save; you don't get a first transfer window, the team is bad and might be relegated, and you have tons of money but not enough reputation to really draw stars. It's a good save for noodling at things and figurin' stuff out. Then, when the really dedicated people have put together databases that go ten to twelve levels deep in particular countries, I'll find a truly fallen giant, some club that was great in the early, amateur days of the sport.

If you want to stay in England for familiarity but also want to go outside England, why not something like Scotland? Dunbarton seem like a really nifty club; the first Scottish champions, and the only former champions never to play in the Scottish Premier League. Or, if you want a faster job, Rangers are waiting to challenge Celtic again. Either way, United have a tradition of taking Scottish managers; maybe if you could win a few SPLs you'll be next. Just find a challenge that seems fun and interesting - I'll be trying for the same starting XI domestic league/European league/international championship treble again this year.

If that is what inspires you take a look at Queen's Park - they are the rightful owners of Hampden park, which they play in - can you fill it to capacity and boost the profile of Scottish football?

I'd absolutely play as Queen's Park, except I haven't got it in me to end their 147-year tradition of amateur sport. if you look at the career thread I've started wwith Dumbarton you'll see words to that effect. I'm also not good enough at the fiddly bits of FM and like dynasty building enough that I don't think icould have the success I want staying amateur.

I'd absolutely play as Queen's Park, except I haven't got it in me to end their 147-year tradition of amateur sport. if you look at the career thread I've started wwith Dumbarton you'll see words to that effect. I'm also not good enough at the fiddly bits of FM and like dynasty building enough that I don't think icould have the success I want staying amateur.

You can't end their amateur status its hard coded and they'll always be amateurs regardless.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started unemployed with no coaching licenses. Got a job managing Stockport in the Vanarama North division in January. They were battling relegation but I managed to pull them through. The next year we won the league and the year after we got promoted through the playoffs! Now I'm in for a challenge in the Sky Bet League 2.

I almost always choose a team that is not playing european football, but has a realistic shot of getting it within the first few seasons. That has always been my way of picking a team. Although I sometimes do a LLM save, which is more a "fun" game for me.

I always go Hearts the team I support find it helps the fact I go to all the games I know exactly how the players play. In past games I've won the lot with Hearts including the champions league 20 league titles in a row plus can't seem to get hooked as playing as any other team don't like going big clubs.

Did have a great save with Peterborough in a previous game where I took them to the Premiership and had a safe mid table finish but never went on from there.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had an idea for a game which I am waiting to load up whilst typing this. My idea is an "opposite" journeyman thread going around the top clubs in the "bigger" countries in Europe, but with 1 rule - I can only sign players from the clubs nation. Hopefully this will keep my attention for a while!

Archived