what competitions hold the most importance to you?

so im currently managing Yeovil town now after my sacking by luton town and I was wandering, as a manager in the game what do you regard as most important? cups or league success? ive just seen that they want third round of the FA Cup, second round the League Cup and mid table safety in League One, they say there not bothered about the Johnstones Paint Trophy :s .. so my question is if any of you play in the lower leagues would you try to win the JPT? or would you rather not bother with the cups and just go for promotion?

so im currently managing Yeovil town now after my sacking by luton town and I was wandering, as a manager in the game what do you regard as most important? cups or league success? ive just seen that they want third round of the FA Cup, second round the League Cup and mid table safety in League One, they say there not bothered about the Johnstones Paint Trophy :s .. so my question is if any of you play in the lower leagues would you try to win the JPT? or would you rather not bother with the cups and just go for promotion?

I am currently playing as Yeovil too mate. Come on over to the Npower Leagues thread (good player + team guide pages) if you want to discuss in detail.

Personally I have prioritised the league, however, due to a good run of easy draws in both I am in the area final of the JPT and the 5th round of the FA cup. I mean If I was struggling at the bottom of the Championship I would be resting players, but as we are clear at the top of league one I can afford to use some keys players in the cup and rest them for league games.

I'd make sure I can get close to meeting my promised start-of-season expectations that I've agreed to, and then, if I have the squad for it, try to meet the cup requirements. Winning cup games keeps the fans happy and the bonus payouts to the players are nice, and you don't want promotion until you're ready to compete at the next level.

There's nothing quite like a cup win - I just wish the game made it feel more special than it currently does...
Even a picture of the cup we won, or a post-cup-win brawl in the stands...right now, it's a little confetti, the bench players start to run onto the field and...post-game stat screen...yawn.

I think go for the JPT whilst you can... it's the best chance of your Yeovil side getting a run-out at Wembley, and will give the fans a cracking day out. These things matter, even in FM world :)

But then I try and win every match in every competition whoever I'm managing, I never prioritize comps!

The league for me. I manage Ajax, so it's only one cup plus league and continental competition. I try to play younger players in Dutch Cup competition and it doesn't always work out. We're bound to fall from CL sooner or later, especially when we are unlucky to get drawn against any of the giants, but the league is the 'must have' title for me.

Yeah I can understand that. Especially as in Holland the league title is the only way to ensure you'll play the group phase of the CL. I do give priority to the league and european cups instead of domestic cups or things like the World Championship for Clubs.

In the lower leagues, however, I might prioritise the cups when I'm struggling in the league (if I'm sure I can avoid relegation, that is).

I took a small club to the top division in Belgium. Even though we challenge for a top 5 position every year, we still can't really compete with the biggest teams.

So even though my main focus is the league I also hold the cup in high regard, as it is the shortest way to Europe's prize money.

While I have won the JPT, it was never a priority. Winning the league or at least getting promoted is much more important. That said, once I got to the semis, I was much more interested in it than beforehand. In the early rounds it's really nothing to get excited about - attendences are low and you don't make any money. Getting to Wembley gives you a nice little payday though. So unless you think you can go all the way, I'd say don't bother.

I've also won the league cup loads of times - the first time it was great and I was very chuffed, but once your team is vying for the PL, it's not half as important (and the board no longer care). It's an easy competition to win though, because the AI likes to play it's second string, which means that the top teams are liable to go out relatively early. That said, one year I beat Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City on the way to winning the cup, which I felt was a great achievement, especially as we hadn't yet established ourself as a top PL team yet.

The only cup that I really want to win now is the Champion's League, which I've yet to do in my current save, although I've reached the final twice. It's the only top competition I haven't won yet (I'm playing as Gloucester btw)...

A good cup run in the League or FA cup is a lot of money in the bank for lower league teams though. So it's worth giving them a shot even though you'll never win. A good performance in the cup also pleases the board, which is never a bad thing, though I think they care most about the league and are generally quite understanding if you get knocked out by a bigger team without meeting their cup expectations.

As for Yeovil, I would definitely try and take advantage of the JPT whilst you can, as already mentioned. Saying that, I wouldn't prioritise it ahead of the league.

My current save is very tricky. The Hungarian 'Premiership' only allows one side into the Champions League so I have to make that my priority, but to make things that little bit easier in terms of future qualification I have to do well in Europe in order to have more sides participating in Europe with me.

thanks for your input guys, ill agree with everyone who said it matters even in the FM world of getting into a cup final at Wembley, it may only be the johnstones paint trophy but its a cup and a winners medal for my manager and players :p

League is always the priority at the beginning, whatever the expectations are. After that, I just play it by ear. If I've progressed well in a cup, and there is nothing pressing going on in the league, then I'll go for cup wins over league games. Also, if money is tight, a cup run is always a nice thing to have, especially in the lower leagues. But like pretty much everyone, league is the priority. Cups are just nice to win. :)

In my save as Liverpool, the League is the bread and butter of the game for me, need to be at least challenging for that ideally. If I don't win the league, I want to at least win in Europe to enhance my reputation and the teams even more. One of them 2 is a must. Anything after that is a bonus, I tend to give squad players games in the FA & League Cup so they're never too unhappy.

For me, regardless of whether i am managing a strong or weak team, the competition that i focus on the most first is the domestic league. This is because the domestic league is the main criteria on whether or not the board judges your job security throughout the season and chooses to either sack or retain your managerial position. If i am cruising through the league when it reaches the mid-season, only then will i begin to slowly shift my focus away towards winning the major or minor cups of the league.

When in the lower leagues I'd always prioritise the league and the FA Cup in the hope of making the 3rd round and getting an away tie against a big club. I wouldn't bother with the other cups unless my squad was strong enough to progress in them with the fringe players.

Years later and it is all about the Champions League, as that's where the money is.

Archived