Has anyone skipped a 'FM release' to continue a save?

I have been playing since CM 99/00 and have bought every title of the football manager series, but after buying FM12 last year i have got into a great save with Burnley and i am in season 2021/22 at the moment. I decided to skip buying FM13 to continue my current save. I will be buying FM14 but i was wondering if people do this on a regular basis (Buying every other title of FM to prolong their games) ?

I have to be honest - I'm thinking about it. I'm one of the players that take things slow - one long term save. Because of work and other responsibilities, I have time only for one game per day, so I enjoy it and take it slow - preparation, extended highlights, micro-management of the team etc. It takes me around 6 real-life weeks to get through one season in FM, so in a year I'm not too far and my first home-grown regens just start to show their real class.

So almost every year it's hard to let go of that save and start another one.

That's also a reason why I like FM - it's not game over after a weekend, for me it's a game to enjoy a full calendar year and beyond.

I am currently playing a youth only save where I don't sign players and only use players who have come through the youth side. That in itself is a slow process, but doing it in Hungary is even slower so being in 2024 I still have a heck of a lot to achieve. I'm torn on the idea.

I'll be sticking with 13 next year unless there are really appealing new features on 14. I was going to stick with FM12 this year but the simplified training, introduction of FMC and a few other smaller features convinced me to buy. I can't see there being such big changes two years running though so I doubt I'll be buying 14.

Well like i say, i had been letting go of games because new FM games came out, but i can honestly say that after not buying this years FM 13, i have enjoyed continuing the current save i have and buying FM 14 will feel a lot more fresh for me in terms of updates, new wonderkids etc... I hope to continue this save still as it's the furthest i have got with work commitments (hence it taking a year and a bit to reach 2021...).

I played CM 97/98 for like 15 years, before playing FM11 at a friend's house. I bought FM12 and FM13 (and I'll probably buy FM14), but started playing FM13 in may this year (I bought the beta FM13 pre-release), just so I could continue my PSG/Argentina save in FM12

I skipped FM12. While this wasn't the only reason, part of it was that I was playing a very enjoyable and successful Sunderland save where I'd won everything loads of times, had a stadium named after me, the best newgen I've ever had who broke all club records, and I went on until 2040, when boredom finally set in!

I generally buy one game a year, per platform and play it to death. I'm still doing various things with FM12 and having a lot of fun so if it ain't broke, don't fix it I guess... I'll look into FM14 but if I'm still enjoying 12 then I'll stick with it. I haven't bought anything for my xbox since Skyrim as I enjoy that too much to play anything else (at least until GTAV comes out). I just take my time and stick with things. Having 2 kids means my money is invariably headed elsewhere and I only get a few hours play of any game a week - it isn't therefore a surprise one game can last me 2 years!

I buy the game every year regardless but have not played FM13 that much this year. Don't really like it plus I have got a very long term game going in FM12. A bit similar to the OP, I have a lot of work and family commitments and as such, get to play very little compared to years ago. It takes me ages to get through a season.

I tried Classic mode and I didn't really like it.

This year I may skip FM14 to carry on with my FM12 save, unless there is something really groundbreaking enough to make me stop playing and start the new one.

Well, I don't see me buying 2014 until probably the Steam Winter Sale at the earliest, but I'll see what the reviews are like first. I've been on the same save for 7 months (and 9 game years) now, so maybe I'll be tired of it by 2014.

I'm still playing FM11 and the same save. I'm hopeful that the jump from that to FM14 has enough development to warrant the full price. Steam has been holding me back as well, still find it very tedious to work with third party software.

A year is plenty of time for a save. I was recently considering starting a new one and continuing it for a while, which would have been the first time I wouldn't have made a fresh start with a new release, but it looks like I'll stick to this year's one until early-autumn and wait for FM14.

It happened with FM12 a few weeks before 13 was released, but it's happened a lot earlier for me this year in getting quite bored with the game. Maybe not even with the game itself, just with the way I play it. Something usually renews my interest, and I'm sure it will before FM14 arrives, but I don't think I'd ever skip a version - I'd just make sure my save got to a natural conclusion, then move on.

Generally, I play from the lowest league until I have won everything (one save only). Only once have I not done it before the next FM is out, so that was the only one I continued the old save before playing the new version. It was only a couple of weeks, I didn't skip the entire thing.

It depends on how feel about the beta/demo. If i like the new additions/tweaks, I start fresh. That said, I have always gotten the new game.

I'm really liking my current save though.

My team is really strong, but I've got a great set of young English players that I've developed myself.

Ive done it once before. Thinking of not getting FM14 as I cant imagine there been that many more tweaks features that can be added - but I could be wrong - I think they may only improve FM Classic in 14 which I dont play as I like long in depth games

Archived