Match Engine Update 13.2 - ME feedback here please.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quoting figures you made up in your head doesn't lend credence to your statement and SI don't judge the need for a hot fix on the number of complaints on here but on actual evidence that it's required.

Kriss firstly Merry xmas to you! Now moving on to what I wanted to say... From the screenshots I provided and I am sure that SI are able to fire up a season in holiday mode, they can compare the statistics from the previous patch to this one. If you take a look at the screenshots that I have provided from this simple test, I think you would agree that there are big changes in the statistical results. That alone should be enough to make them aware that they need to fine-tune what is going on with there ME.

I've a very simple tactical approach which does generally work.

With a flat 4-4-2, you are playing an opponent with no DM strata players, and no AMC strata players. Granted, some will have attack or defend duties to make them stray in and out of those strata, but it is not the same as physically locating a player there.

As such, against a flat 4-4-2, you could try a narrow 4-2-3-1 (MCs, not DMs) and exploit the middle.

This way you have 3 AMC roles in the space between their defence and midfield, and by playing narrow and exploiting the middle, you outnumber their MCs 5 to 2.

I meant my players can't seem to play it rather than struggle "against" it.

I meant my players can't seem to play it rather than struggle "against" it.

Doh!

My inclination would be not to line up a 4-4-2 against a 4-5-1 anyway, as you will get outnumbered in the middle.

If it's the 4-1-2-2-1 type of 4-5-1 you are facing, I'd still use the 4-2-3-1 I described above, as they have no AMCs to worry about so you don't need a DM role, your three AMCs would outnumber their one DMC, and your two MC roles would compete with theirs.

The hilarious thing is the content of the complaints...

People are crying blue murder about how they can't attack or shoot or pass anymore .. and then you go down a few posts and you see people complaining that it's TOO attacking, and TOO goal mad...

It clearly needs tweaking still, but at the same time you have to realise that SI have a monumental task in balancing it right and pleasing everyone..

Hi Welshace,

In my humble opinion trying to "please everyone" is what SI have been doing with these 2 patches. First patch increased tacking in the box to answer the complaints about the easy goals in the box and the second reduce the over the top sliding tackles that caused own goals as well the wing play which was changed in the first patch.

I still think that the game was more enjoyable upon release with the exception of the dodgy animations and goalkeeping.

I have said this before and will say it again, i would like to see that the game to allow the possibility for the player to set up the tactics and player behaviour to their liking; if you like more passing or more running or more closing in or more tackling should be left to the player to decide and not to the developer.

FM is an unique game that is played by people around the world with different cultural concepts of how the football game should be approached and played and should give them the means to achieve that.

Anyone find these new patches ruining there tactics?? 13 points clear, than new patch and thats it my tactic out the window!! Team cant play football.

I am exactly the same with you! 5th with Wigan first season with a new tactic on 13.1. Had suspicions on this so in season 2 with better players I holidayed to January to see if this patch has truly ****ed up my tactic and I was bottom with 1 win.

Just get destroyed no matter what I do. Shouts don't make a difference anymore compared to 13.1. Changing tactic mid game has no effect either. Just a messed up game now. 13.1 was fine for me. From a tactic that was creating 2-3 CCC a game to a tactic that doesn't even get to take a shot and has 30 against them a game.

Just when I was getting into the game again, SI break it. The state it is in now is genuinely unplayable for me, not playing it again till they release another patch.

• SI Staff
I thought it went through but I'm getting a 'critical error'... (just got to work out how to do it)

PS: the message I am getting is that 'connection to the server was cut off...?

- *Should be ok now...

I'm getting an error as well trying to download it, I've sent you a pm loversleaper if you could take a look.

And if it was the same result.. you , or several 100 others would be on here crying blue murder for the fixed results and scripted games..

I fail to see what is wrong with what happened in your game?

I just don't see how i can go from being dominated to dominating with no changes at all. I didn't even score the first goal the second time. I would have accepted that me scoring a goal first changes the game but i was dominating them from kick-off where as previously they dominated me from kick off. I know each game is different and there are going to be different things happening but you are looking at a massive change with no clear reason. I would have accepted that result if i scraped it but it could have easily been 8-0 to me that time

You saying if Man U played Man C several times using the same starting squad and tactics, you wouldn't end up with some completely different results?

Replay the match 20 times and see what happens.

If you're referring to what happened last season compared to this season, Fergy adopted completely different tactics :) If not then, I'll walk on by :rolleyes:

Only played 3 game since the update so cant comment too much yet. But I was on a good run before and i have now just lost 2 out of the 3 haha,,, could just be coincidence but it doesn't install confidence. On one thing I have noticed in the 2 games I lost was my players seem to go on really long and totally ball greedy runs, sometimes completely ignoring team mates in really good position only to run to somewhere stupid and shoot nowhere near the goal.

So

1.More dribbling runs

2.Ball greedy as

3 Suddenly cant shoot worth a

Seen some belting goals tho,, hit with real power going in from range off posts and everything,,, just not from my team yet lol

booted up this morning and finding more problems from the pressing. I play a fluid/control 4-1-2-1-2 wide short normal passing through the middle. With the pressing from the oppostion I'm finding even with through balls set to often my midfield, amc and strikers are so heavily pressured they rarely attempt thorough balls at all. I have attempted to increase the speed of passing and length but this still has no affect. Anyone else having this issue or is it just me?

You saying if Man U played Man C several times using the same starting squad and tactics, you wouldn't end up with some completely different results?

Replay the match 20 times and see what happens.

That's completely different. I'm talking about the exact same match where as you if what you said happened then there would be many different matches and there would be recent matches to take into consideration as well which could effect performances.

I'm talking about the exact same match with literally no changes (including team talks and player instructions and touchline instructions) being the complete opposite to what it was the previous time. Now that shouldn't happen, it never happened in previous FM's because i have raged quit many times (not something which i am proud of but it happens) and then usually the game will play out in a similar way, sometimes i get the same score, sometimes i get a different score. I have never had a problem with it before now so this is not me just coming on to bitch and complain about the game, it's something which i genuinely think should not have happened and as far as im concerned there was no reason for it to happen

That's completely different. I'm talking about the exact same match where as you if what you said happened then there would be many different matches and there would be recent matches to take into consideration as well which could effect performances.

I'm talking about the exact same match with literally no changes (including team talks and player instructions and touchline instructions) being the complete opposite to what it was the previous time. Now that shouldn't happen, it never happened in previous FM's because i have raged quit many times (not something which i am proud of but it happens) and then usually the game will play out in a similar way, sometimes i get the same score, sometimes i get a different score. I have never had a problem with it before now so this is not me just coming on to bitch and complain about the game, it's something which i genuinely think should not have happened and as far as im concerned there was no reason for it to happen

Did the AI do the exact same thing throughout the match? Remember there are two teams playing.

At the end of the day if a player has good acceleration and pace and is better than your fullback, you need to accept the fact that unless you tell your fullback to tackle hard, that winger is gonna skin him 9/10 times. You cant expect someone to follow a ferrari if hes driving a jeep.

I wouldn't mind this happening if it also happened when you have the better players against a team which it doesn't!

If you're referring to what happened last season compared to this season, Fergy adopted completely different tactics :) If not then, I'll walk on by :rolleyes:

I'm not referring to any real matches that have happened. I'm talking a hypothetical situations where Man U and C would be able to play each other in the exact same circumstances several times.

I thought the inference was clear.

One possibility is that while you know that you started with the same lineup, shouts, tactics etc. can you be so sure that Spurs followed the same tactical plan as the game progressed?

If they won 8-0 in the first game, how did the game unfold? 8-0 is a real going over, and if they scored early, and if they had Bale and Lennon, then they had precisely the sort of players whose attributes (pace, dribbling) are favoured with the latest patch. They may have run riot.

Conversely, you won the second game 3-1. How did that game pan out? If they went behind, there's a psychological hit to consider. Did they change tactics to respond? Did they go ahead and then lose confidence when you equalised?

I share your opinion that going from an 8-0 loss to a 3-1 win is surprising, but there are many more parameters than just the result to consider.

It's the same in-game. It's only the exact same match until kick-off. The matches would have to be scripted for them to be the same, and that's not how it works in FM.

One possibility is that while you know that you started with the same lineup, shouts, tactics etc. can you be so sure that Spurs followed the same tactical plan as the game progressed?

Wouldn't make any difference to the situation if Spurs had the same starting conditions as well. As soon as kick off starts, the matches are going to be different.

Something as simple as the player at kick off deciding to pass the ball to the left of field instead of the right would result in a completely different game. Now remember that players are making decisions every second...

Did the AI do the exact same thing throughout the match? Remember there are two teams playing.

Yeah, that's a possibility but from what i can see there was no difference.

Maybe this was just a one time thing and could have just been caused by a player misplacing a pass which he would have made in the previous game.

At the end of the day i feel this game shouldn't have been so much different from what it originally was and i see nothing wrong with bringing it up in this thread so if someone happens to rage quit like i did and then noticed the same thing happening and the same for a few other people then maybe SI could look into it if they do think it is a problem.

It's nowhere near as simple as misplacing a pass - the player may decide to pass somewhere else or not to make the pass in the first place.

Do you honestly think games should play out the same?

Like i said, i just thought it was something i should mention as there was such a massive change. I don't expect games to be the same and i expect different results and performances. what i am saying is that if that is expected to happen often (such massive differences with no changes) then you can't help to question what the tactics are actually doing

Edit: You're talking about an 8-0 loss which turned around to a 3-1 win which could easily have been an 8-0 win with chances missed

Take this diagram as an example

f5-annotated.jpg

The starting point is kick off.

0 and 1 are two decisions the player taking the kick off makes

00 and 10 are the decisions the player he passed to on the left field makes

01 and 11 are the decisions the player he to on the right of field makes.

And on, and on and on etc

Now think that the player has far more than just two possible results from his decision and the diagram gets very complicated very quickly.

Keep conceding goals where my defenders simply REFUSE to challenge/tackle regardless of their instructions. This is incredibly frustrating, I shouldn't have to teach Premier League standard defenders the very basics of defence.

Tackle! Tackle! TACKLE FFS! No? OK then, let them score... *goal* yeah I seen that coming yet again...

Yeah, that's a possibility but from what i can see there was no difference.

Maybe this was just a one time thing and could have just been caused by a player misplacing a pass which he would have made in the previous game.

At the end of the day i feel this game shouldn't have been so much different from what it originally was and i see nothing wrong with bringing it up in this thread so if someone happens to rage quit like i did and then noticed the same thing happening and the same for a few other people then maybe SI could look into it if they do think it is a problem.

There's nothing wrong with bringing anything up if you feel its an issue, thats what these threads are for, but we're just pointing out that although you may have done the same thing, the AI maybe didnt. Like you have said as well, one wrong pass could completely change the course of a game, team goes a goal down after a mistake, player loses confidence, opposition attack the weak player and before you know it your on the back of a humping.

For what its worth i had a similar experience a few weeks back, was flying, on a brilliant run, came up against my biggest rival in a semi final, lost 6-1. I was absolutely raging that my team would go from beating teams in Europe to losing against a team that couldnt break into the top 6 of the league. I couldnt figure out at all what happened until i watch the game again and saw one of my full backs made an early mistake and was indirectly involved in 3 goals, but because i was too focused on why i wasnt scoring, rather than why they were, i missed it. I saw he had a poor rating, but so did my whole defense. If i played the game again i would start exactly the way i did again, and i would expect a completely different result the second time around.

Keep conceding goals where my defenders simply REFUSE to challenge/tackle regardless of their instructions. This is incredibly frustrating, I shouldn't have to teach Premier League standard defenders the very basics of defence.

Tackle! Tackle! TACKLE FFS! No? OK then, let them score... *goal* yeah I seen that coming yet again...

Best bet is to upload PKMs showing it happening.

That and try to remember that Titus Bramble and Djimi Traore were considered Premier league standard defenders... ;)

There's nothing wrong with bringing anything up if you feel its an issue, thats what these threads are for, but we're just pointing out that although you may have done the same thing, the AI maybe didnt. Like you have said as well, one wrong pass could completely change the course of a game, team goes a goal down after a mistake, player loses confidence, opposition attack the weak player and before you know it your on the back of a humping.

For what its worth i had a similar experience a few weeks back, was flying, on a brilliant run, came up against my biggest rival in a semi final, lost 6-1. I was absolutely raging that my team would go from beating teams in Europe to losing against a team that couldnt break into the top 6 of the league. I couldnt figure out at all what happened until i watch the game again and saw one of my full backs made an early mistake and was indirectly involved in 3 goals, but because i was too focused on why i wasnt scoring, rather than why they were, i missed it. I saw he had a poor rating, but so did my whole defense. If i played the game again i would start exactly the way i did again, and i would expect a completely different result the second time around.

I see where everyone is coming from but this is what the post was really about, finding out if other people have similar experience of it and simply to find out whether it is a problem or not.

I want the game to get better and am not interested in just sitting hear complaining about it and arguing with people all day

Best bet is to upload PKMs showing it happening.

That and try to remember that Titus Bramble and Djimi Traore were considered Premier league standard defenders... ;)

I'm talking Glen Johnson, Ryan Shawcross, Daniel Agger, José Enrique and then Lucas as anchor man.

The entire (newly promoted) Cardiff City team just walked through my defence twice in a row to score goals that can only be described as pathetic, and defensively embarrassing.

I shouldn't have to upload PKMs (I'm assuming that is the term for saved game files, or match highlights?). I have the same game as everyone else; SI can simply load up a match and watch the defenders.

I see where everyone is coming from but this is what the post was really about, finding out if other people have similar experience of it and simply to find out whether it is a problem or not.

I want the game to get better and am not interested in just sitting hear complaining about it and arguing with people all day

I dont want to argue with you :)

I was only pointing something out you may not have thought about immediately.

Its still possible your humping was through a bug, but you've reloaded so you cant upload the PKM, all we're saying is it is possible, if maybe not plausable in the circumstances.

I'm talking Glen Johnson, Ryan Shawcross, Daniel Agger, José Enrique and then Lucas as anchor man.

The entire (newly promoted) Cardiff City team just walked through my defence twice in a row to score goals that can only be described as pathetic, and defensively embarrassing.

I shouldn't have to upload PKMs (I'm assuming that is the term for saved game files, or match highlights?). I have the same game as everyone else; SI can simply load up a match and watch the defenders.

Bradford beat Arsenal, it happens.

Have you diagnosed the underlying reasons exactly how and why they scored?

Yes, you have the same game as everyone else, but as soon as you start to play it, it becomes different from everyone else's.

Players win you football matches, not tactics.

Any idea how long there is between patches these days? Seems obvious that this one has messed up a few things and was wondering how long this sort of stuff takes to change?

That'll be why my average at best Parma side finished third in the league... Oh wait...

To be honest, if you can't be bothered taking the few minutes to upload a PKM, what's the point in posting?

"Defenders are crap" is of no use to anyone.

Matches seem to be taking alot longer now, im playing on commentary only with full speed but match time seems to have doubled. This is the same on multiple saves.

That's not that surprising, one of the main highlights with be shots/chances, there are more than double the amount of shots in this patch than the last.

For me personally, i was really struggling with 13.1.2, Mainly due to fullback not tackling wingers etc....

few rage quits, few re-starts whilst i made tactic changes etc. I new what i needed to do to "game the ME" and stop the amount of goals coming from crosses. Found a tactic that worked for me, and was pretty stable.

New patch has come in and IMO i see the full backs aggressively closing down crosses and defenders doubling up.

Have been able to make my tactic a little more attacking because of this.

Id like to say thanks to SI, for thier hard work and releasing a new patch which has made my enjoyment level better. IMO we have moved in the right direction.

Thanks

J

Bradford beat Arsenal, it happens.

Have you diagnosed the underlying reasons exactly how and why they scored?

Yes, you have the same game as everyone else, but as soon as you start to play it, it becomes different from everyone else's.

Granted, and Cardiff are a much bigger side than Bradford (especially in my current save). I'm not complaining in the sense I feel these teams shouldn't score against me, it's just the manner of the goals that is incredibly frustrating.

To be honest, if you can't be bothered taking the few minutes to upload a PKM, what's the point in posting?

"Defenders are crap" is of no use to anyone.

I never once said "defenders are crap" did I? I pointed out that my pretty strong defensive line continue to make no effort to win the ball, resulting in conceding horrific goals.

I never once said "defenders are crap" did I? I pointed out that my pretty strong defensive line continue to make no effort to win the ball, resulting in conceding horrific goals.

I was obviously paraphrasing. I'm trying to make the point that posts without examples, or at least a lot of specifics/details, aren't going to be much use to SI.

The more you provide, the more useful your comments are to SI, the more chance they have of actually being able to address the issues you're seeing.

I was obviously paraphrasing. I'm trying to make the point that posts without examples, or at least a lot of specifics/details, aren't going to be much use to SI.

The more you provide, the more useful your comments are to SI, the more chance they have of actually being able to address the issues you're seeing.

OK, no worries. And I understand your point.

Doesn't matter anyway, once Cardiff scored the 2nd goal I pressed Ctrl + Q - I'm going to start a new game. The update happened to me in January (in-game) and saw me knocked out of all cups and I lost like 8 out of 12 games (had lost 2 games all season before that).

I've been looking for a reason to start again since, and this new season has started rubbish so want to go back to the drawing board with this update.

still no news on a new patch... will keep waiting, or buy Johnny Wilkinson to kick at goal (obviously upwards it) from 60 metres.

i didnt have any issue with dribbling, in my saves just all players want to shoot from Saturn

we want to go back to 13.1.3!

No need to go back to 13.1.3 the full backs were horrendous!

All we need is the shots, dribbling, tackling and distance covered to be toned down and for the gang of 'follow the leader' defenders to stop chasing down 1 player as a pack.

Archived