Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally got round to playing it and I'm pleasantly surprised. Having read this thread I expected it to be a complete mess.

I have played about ten games and I'm yet to see anything that's totally ridiculous. I have seen headed goals from open play and set pieces long rang goals and goal mouth scrambles.

I have noticed a few problems though. Throw-ins are wildly inaccurate its worse then fifty fifty whether you get possession from your own throw in. Defenders turn too slowly they should be beaten to through-balls by forwards by much narrower margins.

When the defence is turned and a forward is running towards goal with a player marking him the other defenders don't seem very keen to double up on him or get goal side.

I don't think I have seen a forward make a curved run yet.

after my last game, where my DC was in perfect position to intercept a through ball but decided to freeze and let the striker score, i decided enough is enough and closed the game. this is not a football simulation, its just random things happening with no difference to what tactics you use.

has anyone had any success with attacking strategy? i havent scored even 1 goal on that strategy!!!

I must confess this is one of the frustrating aspects of the game. In FM12 the defending was so bad I found an attacking strategy actually got me results and better defending as well. That same tactic an attacking 4-4-2 I binned in FM13 as all attacks I made broke down and the opposition played long Glenn Hoddlesque passes with tremendous curve to their striker who usually had the pace of a tortoise who still runs clean through on goal ignoring my offside trap and slotted it home!!

Makes chasing a game very difficult, but apart from an attacking strategy maybe not quite working as it could I think one of the reasons for it could be AI behaviour within a match.

I mean by this IRL and in the game we are tempted at times to hold on to a lead and maybe go a bit more defensive. Rightly or wrongly, as sometimes going deeper and deeper is the wrong thing to do but it is a human reaction to do that. In FM13 though I haven't seen any real human reaction from the AI (probably because it's not human!) but this means I think it just plods on playing much the same way. You can't seem to push an AI team back because they don't seem to defend a lead, they always seem to just carry on attacking themselves thus rendering any attacking strategy employed by yourself dangerous to use.

I hate this game. I really do. I'm so disappointed :(

No win in 10. Squad harmony now very poor with no way of getting this back up. Players unhappy, fans unhappy, board unhappy. There's no way out of this rut. Play with the TC creating basic tactics, not changing sliders as we're told. I try 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 4-2-3-1, 4-1-2-1-2 it doesn't matter, I under perform. My players manage 2 or 3 shots a game, they look uninterested and never run after the ball. Through balls are killing me and I'm getting torn appart every game by mediocre opposition.

Story of my FM13 experience thus far, I've went back to FM12 for the time being.

Go to your fixture list, click the score of the match you like to upload, at the top right corner there is a "upload highlights" button. Hover over it then click the custom highlights button. At the new screen you can export the the goals and clips you've recorded with "export custom package" button at the bottom right.The video is recorded to "Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2013\uploads" . You can also directly upload them to youtube with "upload custom package" button supposedly.(does not work for me some reason)

There is no "upload highlights" option on games that you go back to. If you play a match and it ends the option is there but not if you go back to an old fixture and load it up.

Well i must be stupid, i don't understand how i can (while playing with Benfica) win two games in a row against Sporting and Porto, and then loose to Estoril and Gil Vicente.

This is simply unreal.

the amount of goals i get from crosses into the area is simply stupid. I am playing with two center backs and a sweeper, and still, still, not one of them is capable of actually intercepting a god damn cross.

This is by far the worst Match Engine in the history of FM. It just makes no sense.

There is no "upload highlights" option on games that you go back to. If you play a match and it ends the option is there but not if you go back to an old fixture and load it up.

It's there for me on fixtures I go back into, bottom right of the screen it says upload highlights in a drop down box, click it once to open the dropdown menu, double click to upload. For custom highlights its the box that says upload custom package, again in the bottom right corner.

CelticvRangers_UploadHighlightsGoalHighlights.png

CelticvRangers_UploadHighlightsCustomHighlights.png

Well i must be stupid, i don't understand how i can (while playing with Benfica) win two games in a row against Sporting and Porto, and then loose to Estoril and Gil Vicente.

This is simply unreal.

the amount of goals i get from crosses into the area is simply stupid. I am playing with two center backs and a sweeper, and still, still, not one of them is capable of actually intercepting a god damn cross.

This is by far the worst Match Engine in the history of FM. It just makes no sense.

Neil Lennon must wonder how he was able to beat Barcelona then draw at home to Arbroath.

Real life must be the worst match engine in the history of the universe.

It makes no sense.

What makes no sense is how i continually beat excellent teams (won against Porto, Chelsea, Inter, Sporting) and then always loose to weaker teams because of crosses that are simply unreal. What makes no sense is me congratulating my players on 3 goals scored in the first half and they become angry and confused.

What makes no sense is me in one match making 30 shots at goal against inter, and then make 2 against Paços de Ferreira that is a team known for parking the bus.

No, i want the game to be consistent and not schizo.

Top teams will rarely go from making 30 shots against inter, winning by 3-0, to loosing 4-0 against one of the weaker teams in the championship while making 3 shots at goal.

I can live with my forwards having bad days, or a team being able to shut down plays. But consistently winning against big teams, only to loose against little teams the game after is stupid.

It is not real, and it does not happen, even less in a championship like portugal where the Benfica and Porto rarely loose games. It just doesen't happen.

And please feel free to try and explain the half-time talk stupidity. My players must have really been sad to be winning 3-0 at halftime, in the final of the league cup for them to react like that... happens everyday.

Perhaps in real life, these teams are well managed. :rolleyes:

Really, so i am a bad manager, i win games against excellent teams, then, by doing exactly the same against a much, much inferior teams, i loose and the teams simply doesen't play.

But please, also, explain the team-talk thing at halftime with bad management.

p.s. in real life those teams are managed by Jorge Jesus, and Vitor Pereira, not exactly the brightest of the bunch!

What makes no sense is how i continually beat excellent teams (won against Porto, Chelsea, Inter, Sporting) and then always loose to weaker teams because of crosses that are simply unreal. What makes no sense is me congratulating my players on 3 goals scored in the first half and they become angry and confused.

What makes no sense is me in one match making 30 shots at goal against inter, and then make 2 against Paços de Ferreira that is a team known for parking the bus.

View the game like you would view the matrix. It's just lines of code. The difference between real life and the game is with the game every action on behalf of the AI requires a winning reaction from the human player. If it isn't the one that is programmed to work, you won't win. If the team is defending there's a way to beat it. If the team counter, there's a way to beat it.

In real life it's up to chance, a thought process and decision making that is reactionary in a way a game could never be. Stop thinking about IRL this shouldn't happen and start thinking about how the game is programmed and when a team does x you must do y to beat it. wwfan and Cleon amongst others know the formula and what y is. Listen and learn, and when you find out what y is, please do let me know because at the moment I'm still on z with no way to getting to y despite reading all about it.

I finished first season of my intended long term save but I probably wont continue playing and I tell you why: Fullback defending is horrible, just horrible. I literally won the league by countering through flanks end exploiting the poor fullback defending. They track, than stop and let the ball get to penalty box. Keeper than doesnt react to the ball, neither do centre backs so it is up to the striker/AM to convert the chance or not. Overall decision making of defenders on the ball is horrible too. They hold on the ball and put themselves under pressure, they just invite opposition to press them even in the most dangerous areas. Wingers still run into post, this hasnt changed for quite some time, it is frustrating. Strikers miss unbelievable sitters when they are 5 yards from empty net, they send it 30 yards to the corner flag. I dont think I have to mention injuries, which also make the game unplayable at times. Iam suspicious of penalty conversion ratio because I ve seen too many players with pen. att. 16+ to miss A LOT of pens and it seems to me that there are too many penalties in general. What also happens a lot is that player gets yellow card 20 seconds into the game, some red cards are also very suspicious. Free kicks are no longer valid, goals from them are more of a myth. Free throws: just one word- Pathetic.

Apart from the ME, the AI player development is sad and makes the game useless from long perspective, transfer market has been poor for years now. I hope SI will improve at least the fullbacks because it makes the game so predictable it becomes boring VERY SOON.

Is it coincidence that 98% of the ire towards the ME centres around goals that the player has conceded?

I just scored a goal because the opponents goalkeeper decided to run down towards the corner flag to claim a (failed) long ball from my team, and then punted it straight into the middle of the pitch, right on one of my midfielders. And a couple of games before that, I almost conceded a goal because my keeper tried to clear a failed through ball with his feet - once again straight into the middle of the pitch - rather than picking it up with his hands.

There are a tons of stupid goalkeeper bugs, and how you "set up your team" has nothing to do with it.

View the game like you would view the matrix. It's just lines of code. The difference between real life and the game is with the game every action on behalf of the AI requires a winning reaction from the human player. If it isn't the one that is programmed to work, you won't win. If the team is defending there's a way to beat it. If the team counter, there's a way to beat it.

In real life it's up to chance, a thought process and decision making that is reactionary in a way a game could never be. Stop thinking about IRL this shouldn't happen and start thinking about how the game is programmed and when a team does x you must do y to beat it. wwfan and Cleon amongst others know the formula and what y is. Listen and learn, and when you find out what y is, please do let me know because at the moment I'm still on z with no way to getting to y despite reading all about it.

What a completely silly way of seeing the game... no wonder you don't enjoy it and tell us you are quitting every day...

The game merely gathers information from any number of factors and pits them against each other and comes out with a result... exactly how it essentially works in real life... Changes you make in game cause a recalculation and the result can change BUT...

That's not to say that every game REQUIRES you to change someone to react to the team in order to win, that's suggesting a bias towards the AI, which is complete tosh... You can happily sail through games and win without touching a thing IF you are the strongest team on that day.. but of course, if you aren't, you will need to react to changes to the opposition and they will always be looking to counter whatever tactic you are using.

Highly suggest you lose the formula busting way of seeing the game, and just go back to playing a damn game of football and realising that the opposition is countering what you do aswell, it isn't going to be static... so of course you have to work out how to beat them, JUST like in real life football.

Again... have you raised this is the bugs forum?

It really irks me seeing everyone go to the trouble to post it in here and have a moan, but not wanting to do anything to solve the issue they are having.. makes very little sense.

Thing is welshace, it really should not be down to the consumer to highlight the glaring faults within the game. This game should of been tested thoroughly before it's release so it would not contain the high amount of flaws that it currently has. Now just to clarify something, I have uploaded several pkms and have gone into great depth about the faults I have experienced on the ME bugs forum. Although it has to be said, I only did this because I want to at least try to get some enjoyment out of a game that I paid good money for.

SI has made good profit from this game and it currently has so many disgruntled fans. I think it would be a fair comment to say that this game should not have been released in it's present form. Perhaps they should of recruited more testers, maybe they should of released the beta earlier, who knows.

It just feels like we're beta-testing a game that we have paid for.

On the one hand, I completely agree with you, there are some glaring mistakes that should probably have been sorted before release... on the other hand, in a piece of software this complex and huge, bugs/mistakes will always be present... in fact, every piece of software ever made will have errors and bugs, it's just how it is.

Look at Windows... how long has it been developed for? they have many years to produce each version and a budget and team the size of a small country and yet, massive, glaring issues with it every time it's released up until it's replaced by the next version.

Sadly, the issues with the ME will be greater in this version as it's a complete rewrite of the code and essentially starting from scratch.

The end of the day, those who will stick with it, will reap the rewards, those who don't, wont... but either way, this is the way SI has always been and they've been highly successful with it and produced games which take up a silly amount of my free time.

Summary: the issues with the game are frustrating, but I'm still enjoying it and spending hours of my life playing it and have plenty of faith that SI will sort the issues out... and that's good enough for me.

why when you use Overload do players still pass back to the keeper, when there are options further forward?

what does consern me is you use tactcs win a few games well aond comfortably... then suddenly you play rubbish and create nothing

oh and all the O.G are caused by crosses. the thing that annoys me about crosses are left and right backs seem to fall back to create a defencive line, when they should be in the face of they guy about to cross.

It's there for me on fixtures I go back into, bottom right of the screen it says upload highlights in a drop down box, click it once to open the dropdown menu, double click to upload. For custom highlights its the box that says upload custom package, again in the bottom right corner.

Thank you for that. Where I had the issue was that I had minimised the ribbon and that doesn't show half the info.

All sorted so here we go a link to my buffoon of a goalkeeper in a 0-1 defeat!!!

Thank you for that. Where I had the issue was that I had minimised the ribbon and that doesn't show half the info.

All sorted so here we go a link to my buffoon of a goalkeeper in a 0-1 defeat!!!

Exactly the same as one that's been posted. Needs to be logged as something is causing this.

Next game :(

WTF SI :rolleyes:

[video=youtube;t4H5vz-tmwU]

Just lost 3-0 to Norwich. Goals included:

2 through balls where my defenders ran backwards to try to intercept.

1 "clearance" by Smalling that was a bizarre diving header that put the ball directly into the 6 yard box for a Norwich player to tap in

I hate cheating but this is why I save my game before every match now. Because losing to stuff like this is making me tear my hair out.

I wish I could get a hybrid of FM12 and FM13.

12's ME and 13's new delish interface would be a great christmas gift. The game is very frustrating to play at the moment. Big amount of personal mistakes and every cross results in a goal. I've read through the whole thread and I can relate to almost every complaint regarding the ME. I've mastered every CM/FM since 2001 with great results, but it seems like I'm having problems adapting to FM13.

Is there any plans for a update soon, or are SI satisfied with the game at the time being?

Unfortunately the ME can't replicate real life and therein lies a lot of the problem. You watch centre backs IRL. A lot of the time they engage an opponent (close down) then back off if the danger subsides. FM doesn't replicate that as defenders just back off and back off. Some wingers IRL run at an opponent at a certain pace then increase pace to beat a full back and again FM can't replicate that because players are simply one paced. Too many goals come from super dribblers where IRL these days there are very few who can run with the ball, especially through the middle like in the clip above. In fact in that clip it's not so much the defenders that are the issue but a central midfielder who side steps along side the player like he is doing star jumps rather than race toward the player and make a tackle.

Another big issue and I feel this has been a problem in the last few incarnations that certain things in the TC or tactics in general seems to go against the grain when it comes to what the game advises and or common sense. I looked at a few TC creations recently and an example of this was a lone forward. He was set to "move into channels". Now 1. As far as I can tell looking at threads over the last couple of years we still don't actually know exactly what "moves into channels" means. Is it A. A player moves into the corners of the pitch in an attacking phase? or B. Is it the area between centre backs and full backs that a player tries to find space? Now a lot of gamers had issues where they couldn't keep a lone striker in the middle of the pitch as he drifted wide. A lot of advice to those gamers was to make sure the strikers wide play was set to normal. So why are most of the TC settings for a lone striker set at "move into channels"?

Time wasting : What is it? Is it literally wasting time by kicking the ball into Row Z and taking time over corners and throw ins or it is the amount of time a player takes over things? So a striker one on one with low time wasting with just shoot or with high TW will take his time to pick his spot?

Run From Deep : In the TC you have strikers with RFD often? Always baffles me this one as when do you want a striker deep anyway? And if you have a forward on rare will he ever get into the box?

Creative Freedom : Use sparingly you are told. But if you play a 4-2-3-1 with three roamers behind a solo striker like Man City do you give them high creative freedom or not?

Passing and tempo, individual mentalities, closing down relative to mentality...............etc

Too many conflicting opinions in the forums and yet we still don't have a definitive guide as to what these all exactly mean. Until we all understand those and are all singing from the same hymn sheet the ME will always be misunderstood.

Well ive got to admit its hard to be constructive when trying to sum up this match engine. Im 7 games in and am doing well with arsenal, but the me is just diabolical. Whos idea was it to replace the football with a beachball? Also, why do my players keep acting like they are under presure when the arn't?

The other irritating thing is almost every shot i think is a goal, misses an every shot i think will miss is a goal?

I have only just started playing so havnt experienced it pre patch, but if this is suposed to be an improvement what was it like before?

Whoever signed this game off as complete should be sacked.

Why is it that everytime I absolutely dominate the opposing team, getting a 3-0 or 4-0 score at half-time, the second half will be either absolutely boring (nothing really happens) or the opponent comes out way stronger and manages to draw or win. It never, ever, ever happens that my team continues the domination to eventually win 6-0 or 7-0.

Anyone else get situations (and often!) when the attacker crosses the ball, it just hits the defender in the leg and another attacker just has to put the ball into the net from 5 yards?

The ball frequently hits players who seem unawares the ball even exists! Thats if they are not running away from it at the time.

And i have noticed that with goals, also own goals scored in a similar way.

Ugh, another gem. In the CL as well. Let's just say turning around has never been one of Ruud Vormers best abilities.

[video=youtube;GFp1YdGz0wg]

The first goal was also depressing, as a defensive interception of my defender ricocheted off my other defender, both stumbled, and it gave the attacker another easy tap-in.

This is now slowly turning into pure frustration from my part, which surely is not what SI intended. Just what am I looking at??

Must confess I laughed at the "beach ball" comparison. It is a bit like that at times, it does fly about everywhere so I am not sure why they changed the dynamics of the ball.

Also I do sympathise with the poster who stated that you can beat a couple of the big Clubs and yet then go and lose to a smaller Club. Yes it does happen IRL but there seems to be no control that you have to stop that happening. I beat Liverpool, Arsenal and Newcastle and played some great stuff yet next two games West Brom and bottom of the table Southampton played me off the park. It's not losing to those teams that is frustrating but it's the fact that against Arsenal I limited them to a handful of shots on target yet a couple of weeks later bottom Club Southampton created a hatful. I know that there are things that make a difference but it does make it seem like a bit of a lottery and it is tough when you think that you have things tactically sound you get slapped across the face with a big wet fish!! However it's been like that in FM10, FM11 and FM12.

I just drew 0-0 at home to Man United and neither I or they had one shot on target. I look forward to my Cup Final against Huddersfield where they will probably have 20 shots on goal and win 4-0!! ;-)

The problem is, no league, half of the things you and others are on here every day claiming are wrong is just a matter of opinion and not an issue in other people's eyes.

It's true of all feedback here, a lot of it will be issues to solve and a lot of it won't be..

You can't please all the people all of the time, what SI need to do is sort through all of the drivel and get to the issues that need tweaking, which is hard when you have the same old people posting the same old stuff day in day out here instead of posting it neatly and concisely in the bugs section so the team can tick it off as done.

So you would say that the non-tackling fullbacks, GK distribution and non-pressing midfielders were not an issue? Funny that seeing upon how most of the pkms I uploaded detailing flaws within the game (which included these 3) were confirmed as being wrong and were looked at. PaulC himself within one of my threads had acknowledged the non-tackling, poorly positioned fullback issue and had stated that it had been fixed for the next update (update for 13.1.3) which has improved slightly but has still got major issues on the tackling department.

Some of the videos I have seen on here and in the ME Bugs section has been shocking to be quite honest, so I would not say it's just a matter of opinion. The only thing is that some of us just plod along without saying anything, accepting the faults and hoping for SI to sort it out and there are others who feel aggrieved (quite rightly so) that they have paid good money for a game that is way below SI's usual expectations and quite clearly has a broken ME at this stage.

You can defend the game all you like, but go and read the ME Bugs forum and you will see all of the flaws that have been reported and the ones that SI accept as being flawed and needing correcting.

Interesting that you avoided answering the whole issue about the game testers. Why didn't the tactical gurus notice the poor GK distribution or the diabolical positioning and non-tackling fullbacks? Why? I think they did not miss it as they have an excellent understanding of the ME and therefore it's a case of SI releasing the game in a poor state. If it is a case that they missed it, well enough said then....

Story of my FM13 experience thus far, I've went back to FM12 for the time being.

I agree totally.

I have played FM/CM since the mid 1990s on the Amiga and this is the worst version that I have ever seen.

I buy superior players, have tried all sorts of tactical variations but it all still ends up the same. Difficult to score goals, to easy to conceded, demotivated players and my team down near the relegation zone. On previous versions I have won the Champions League with Huddersfield! I'm afraid to say that I am falling out of love with FM as a result of this version and fear that a game that I have loved for years may be gone forever...

I'm clinging onto the hope that a new patch may come out but it won't get played too much in the meantime. FM 12 was far superior in my eyes....

I have been a player since 1993. I have been trying to look in other forums and threads and cant find an answer regarding how SI is developing the match engine. Are the 2D, Commentary and 3D developed independently? Are improvements being made to the 2D and text commentary? Are the outcomes different in terms of players stats and final scores if the games are played in these 3 different ways?

Because my feeling is that a lot of emphasis is being given to the 3D ME and the rest hasnt really improved since 2010. The database, transfer market, tactics and training are the foundations of this game. Graphics are a dessert. And I honestly think that the hard core fans still play with commentary or the 2D engine.

One thing I've noticed with those unwilling to try out wwfan's methods, or angry at the new match engine's approach to simulating football is that they feel they being labelled tactically inadequate or stupid.

Sometimes players with good tactical/football knowledge may just be stumbling with how to translate their ideas into the game/how the game interoperates their input. I think that's how those offended by being asked to rethink the way they play need to look at this advice rather than get defensive and angry.

The testimonials of those that did give in and try out the suggestions provided suggests that it may well be worth a shot just swallowing your pride and seeing where the help might take you.

One thing I've noticed with those unwilling to try out wwfan's methods, or angry at the new match engine's approach to simulating football is that they feel they being labelled tactically inadequate or stupid.

Sometimes players with good tactical/football knowledge may just be stumbling with how to translate their ideas into the game/how the game interoperates their input. I think that's how those offended by being asked to rethink the way they play need to look at this advice rather than get defensive and angry.

The testimonials of those that did give in and try out the suggestions provided suggests that it may well be worth a shot just swallowing your pride and seeing where the help might take you.

I win games, im doing pretty well.

many many matches, win or lose are painful to watch.

This is by FAR the worst match engine ever. It is just a matter of tweeking until you stumble on an effective tactic.

Archived