FM13: Newcastle United - Alan Pardew and The Eight Year Plan.

tommonufc

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Once I've put that out, I can crack on with the Newcastle save - so will then be able to put up my two pence worth on signings, sales, bringing in coaches etc.

This I look forward to.

Loving knowing who is able to be sold. That Newcastle squad definitely has some average players that should be shipped on...

This I look forward to.

Loving knowing who is able to be sold. That Newcastle squad definitely has some average players that should be shipped on...

Along with a couple that you can't lever out the door with with a crowbar and a half ton of dynamite.....(Yes...I am looking at you Xisco)

Easily the best club thread ever imo.

I had a save with the Toon in FM12 when on one of my saves I saw they had fallen into the Championship. I'm tempted to have another go with them now after seeing this thread. There was no better feeling that getting Adam Campbell developed and becoming the leading scorer.

Along with a couple that you can't lever out the door with with a crowbar and a half ton of dynamite.....(Yes...I am looking at you Xisco)

Xisco, didn't know he was back on Tyneside until I dug some info up on him for this. Scored a hatrick in an U21 fixture the other week too. Hope he stays away from the first time, and isn't trotted out for a Europa League game. Last errery memory of Dennis Wise and the dark days.

Looking forward to the Brugge game this evening, heard the Ameobi's are starting up front together! Big time.

I actually want to start tonight, any ideas what leagues to have loaded for a decent save with Newcastle?

Laptop is plenty good enough to run a few, even a custom database if needed?

@Tyoldinho

I've been running the major European leagues plus a few of the smaller European ones and the Argentinian, Brazilian, Mexican and Uruguayan leagues. Also have players of several nationalities loaded as well (usually some of African nations). Seems to give plenty choices out there.

2012/13 Season Update.....and here we go

Right after reading Tommo's excelllent opening post and loving the screeds of information he's put out there, I figured I'd post an update of my 1st half season or so on the beta.

The base expectation from Mike Ashley and the Newcastle board was to achieve a top half finish whilst playing attacking football and signing good, young players for the 1st team. As for myself, I wanted to achieve this as frugally as I could, I plan to spend only what is in my budget so no 48 month deals, no offering players automatic year on year wage rises to sweeten deals and absolutely no 'Match highest earner' clauses, if we don't have the cash to pay for a player upfront then I'm not buying him.

I also decided not to lay off any staff so we didn't pay up any contracts and I'll gradually improve the coaching staff over the next few years. Any staff I don't want to keep will just be released at the end of their contracts.

In terms of tactics I planned on always playing a flat back four and having the formation built round the Cabaye/Tiote engine room in central midfield, so with that in mind I set up an attacking 4-4-2 to play at home and a 4-2-3-1 and a 4-5-1 to play in away games (or in difficult home games).

Transfer wise I quickly decided that I wanted to add one or preferrably two central defenders, to provide better cover/competition for my first choice partnership of Taylor & Coloccini, one solid central midfielder and one reasonably decent striker. Assuming I had any money left after that, or managed to raise funds by offloading players I'd target another fullback (either wing) and a pacy winger. Obviously the other objective would be to hang on to the existing key players as well.

Players Bought:

Leonard Kweuke - Striker - from Sparta Prague for £3.2 million. Striker was always going to be the most expensive purchase to get someone good enough to push Ba & Cisse so Idecided to take advantage of the bargain release clause in Kweuke's contract. He's a good finisher and header (16 for both with 14 composure) and strong as an ox, reckoned he'd be well suited to life at Newcastle.

Stefan Strandberg - DC - from Rosenborg for £725,000. 22 years old, 6'1" Norwegian defender with some impressive attributes in the key areas (16 tackling, 16 heading, 15 marking, 16 strength, 16 jumping....all good). Signed him after seeing him picured on another thread have to admit.

Jores Okore - DC - from FC Nordsjaelland for £1.1 million. 20 years old, 6'0" Danish defender (with Ivorian dual nationality). His technical attributes aren't quite as good as Strandberg's to begin with, but scouts and coaches rate him as 4 star for potential and he has some solid physicals. 17 Acceleration and 14 Pace means he can hopefully develop into a good quick defender if you want to hold a high line.

Ruben Yttergard Jenssen - MC - from Tromso for £1.1 million. Often seen him recommended on previous versions of FM but never signed so when I saw him transfer listed at his own request I figured it was too good a chance to pass up. Good, hard working central midfielder who is a very good passer. Has some great mental attributes too, excellent rotation option for the heart of midfield.

Adryan - AMC/MC - from Flamengo for £875,000. Scouts rated him as having 4.5 stars for potential so just had to take advantage of his measly £875k release clause. Very raw right now, but hopefully we can develop him into a star.

(I'm sure everyone can see the obvious schoolboy error I made......wanted back up for 2 quality strikers who might be off to the African Cup of Nations in January. Signed...1 quality striker who is most likely off to the African Cup of Nations in January)

Players sold:

James Perch - £5million to Celtic (only £1mill up front). I didn't particularly want to sell Joao Perchinho but I recognised he wasn't going to be starting too many games unless we had a real injury crisis so decided to accept Celtic's bid and not stand in the way of him getting regular 1st team games.

Mike Williamson - £70k per month loan deal to Southampton with £2.7 million fee to follow if they make the deal permanent. Complained about lack of 1st team action surprisingly early in the season so offered him out to clubs and Southampton came back with this deal. I had Strandberg and Okore in place by then so accepted.

I've also sent a large number of players out on loan if they were promised regular 1st team games, so Sammy Ameobi is at Leicester, Shane Ferguson at Millwall (and we're getting £20k a month from them), Tavernier is at St Johnstone, Rob Elliott at Rotherham and Mehdi Abeid is at St Etienne amongst others. (Those are the long term loans so far, some of the other youngsters have been out for a month or two at various other clubs as well)

Free Transfers:

Alan Dzagoev - AMC - arriving 1st January 2013 - free transfer from CSKA Moscow. Was impressed with what I saw of Dzagoev during the Euros this summer and when I saw his contract expired at the end of December I immediately offered him a deal. Ended up beating a few clubs to his signature and he should provide some nice reinforcement during the busy New Year fixture list.

Bressan - AMC/MC - arriving 2nd January 2013 - favourite cheap signing of mine from FM11 and 12 and offered him a deal with the thought that we might end up losing Cabaye in January if he plays well and someone puts in a bid the board feel is too good to refuse. He can provide reliable cover at both the MC and AMC position, not to be sniffed at for free.

Progress so far - Scots wha hae (the Scot would be me by the way...)

newcastleunitedschedule.png

Definitely a case of so far, so good. Season got off to fantastic start with a 3-1 win over Sunderland, Ba and Cisse both on the scoresheet, 67% possession and chances galore. 2 weeks later things were looking a little more grim with both Ba and Cisse crocked for 5 weeks and Kweuke struggling for form. Fortunately he broke his duck in fine form with 2 goals to help us beat Fulham and went on a fine burst of scoring that saw us through some difficult fixtures.

I found during the first half of the season that the squad really struggled to maintain fitness at times, especially after the Euro games. I had to do a lot of switching in terms of selection but I've had some very good performances from some of the youngsters and reserves. Romain Amalfitano has bagged quite a number of goals and assists playing at both AML and AMC when called upon and Okore and Strandberg have gotten quite a few games already in defence. January was shaping up to be a bit of a nightmare though with Demba Ba and Leonard Kweuke off to the ACoN while Cisse would be joining them but for a torn calf muscle keeping him out for 3 months.

Steven Taylor probably player of the season so far, he hasn't been scoring crazy numbers of goals from corners this year, but he's still getting consistent high ratings after games and making plenty tackles and clearances (plus the odd goal from a corner obviously). Ben Arfa has been our most dangerous player so far, scoring and creating plenty, but he does have the odd absolute mare of a game. Marveaux has been the other star of the season so far over on the other wing, though that might partly be down to some beta issues with the match engine and wingers...so I'm not taking full credit for his success (not yet anyway....)

As usual, my first save on FM every year is NUFC.

Ive tried not to get in to a file too much as want to start a file when the full game is out.

However, I have played one full season with NUFC so far on the beta, which to put it lightly, went well. I have deleted the save now as I didn't want the temptation of playing on and don't really want to do more than one season until full release.

I'll give you a quick rundown...

I decided to go with a 4-1-2-2-1 formation and it certainly worked out well.

I sold Nile Ranger for about £500k, lost Adam campbell to Arsenal for only about £625k and loaned out a couple of the youger lads.

I bought in Wellington Nem for just £3.5m (Min fee release clause) and agreed to sign Dzagoev in Jan.

Started the season really well picking up plenty of points along the way and got to Christmas still in the league cup, qualified for the knock out stages of the EL and sitting 2nd in the league.

In January, I signed Alderweider for about £8m, £2m upfront, and Dzagoev joined on a free transfer.

The form continued into the new year, although I got knocked out of the EL by Bordeaux and knocked out of the league cup kind of on purpose to Liverpool. I had to field a very young weak team due to the fitness or my first teamers.

I was level on points, top of the league with about 5 games to go with Spurs, who I also was about to face in the FA Cup final, but Spurs had a game in hand.

To cut a long story short, Spurs fell apart an I went on to win the league, but lost the cup final 2-0.

I've got a couple of screenshots I took on my phone that I will upload later as I haven't put them on my laptop.

I didn't play into the next season but that summer, I got Andre Ayew for around £15m as he has quality stats, and can play CM or AML.

I expect this thread to be full of people signing the minimum release clause players and frees (Dzagoev, Wellington Nem etc).

Look forward to seeing some more non-obvious signings.

I expect this thread to be full of people signing the minimum release clause players and frees (Dzagoev, Wellington Nem etc).

Look forward to seeing some more non-obvious signings.

Sorry you don't find my transfer dealings interesting enough :p but I'm making sure I stay in budget. I was quoted some fairly mental prices for other players I enquired about, so I'm pretty much going to stick to free transfers and transfer listed signings during the first few seasons I think. Unless a scout finds me a nice bargain signing some place.

That said my scouts so far seem to be finding some very good youngsters, have a couple players I'm going to take a closer look at in the summer. My main target will probably be Dusan Tadic from FC Twtente. I've agreed a deal in January for Marc Albrighton as he's unhappy at Villa, gives me some cover for Ben Arfa at AMR so I can properly rest him from time to time. Also offered a contract to Salvatore Bocchetti from Rubin Kazan to sign as a freebie at the end of the season, though he's also been offered deals by Bayern Munich and a few other clubs.

Tried to offer a cheeky deal to Fernando Llorente as well, but he wasn't remotely interested.

Sorry you don't find my transfer dealings interesting enough :p

I hadn't actually seen your post :D woops.

I was referring to the one above me, no offence to the guy... I was just expecting to see a lot of them in this thread :D

I hadn't actually seen your post :D woops.

I was referring to the one above me, no offence to the guy... I was just expecting to see a lot of them in this thread :D

I was only extracting the michael a little, tbf I have signed Dzagoev (free transfer) and Kweuke (minimum release clause) so guilty as charged :D

Evening Lads, good to see this thread up and running (and looking good, nice OP Tommo).

I've been playing the BETA since last Friday, and after a few failed attempts trying some peculiar tactics with random teams I came back to Newcastle.

I've not followed one of the expected or recommended tactics and instead I'm using a wide 4-1-2-1-2 formation that usually lines up something like this:

------------------Krul

Simpson--Kjaer--Colo--Santon

-----------------Tiote

HBA----------------------------Jonas

----------------Cabaye

-----------Ba-----------Cisse

Despite HBA & Cabaye not being natural in these positions (both were competent to start I believe?) they both regularly perform to a very high standard and are now accomplished in these positions; Cabaye with 7 goals and 7 assists in 21 games, HBA with 9 goals and 16 assists in 19 games.

The front two line up as a Target Man (Ba) and Poacher (Cisse) combo. Their ability in front of goal has won me games I've no right to win, with Ba nabbing 16 goals in 19(3) games and Cisse leading the pack with 21 goals in 22(2) appearances. Both have several assists too, but with goal stats like that who cares?

As you can imagine with those four playing like that we're doing very well in the league, currently sitting top and having only lost one match (a battering 3-1 against Chelski) as well as dominating all comers in the Europa League... Albeit just in the group stages.

Transfer dealings:

In:

Simon Kjaer - Wolfsburg - 3.6mil.

Nicklas Helenius - AaB - 2.1mil

Florent Malouda - Chelksi - Loan (still not worth it)

Out:

James Tavernier - Millwall - Loan

Marveaux - West Brom - Loan

Rob Elliot - Watford - 130K

With Nile Ranger & Xisco getting booted out via contract terminations. No one was interested in either and I didn't want to waste the wages on two players who I wouldn't even consider starting.

My two bought players have impressed me greatly, Kjaer is a rock and very consistent alongside Colo and Helenius has got a very impressive 7 goals in 6(5) appearances. Ideal back up option for Cisse or Ba.

Future plans:

I'm looking to bring in a new RB to replace Simpson, considering cashing in on Tiote provided I can reach my expected 15-20mil for him and letting Anita take over in that CDM role.

Regarding the youth, I don't know how well I expect Sammy Ameobi to develop and whether it's worth the time and effort to make him into our starting left winger in place of Jonas. However I'm expecting big things of little Bigirimana and will be loaning him out this season before focusing on his development.

League Table - Mid Jan 2013

englishpremierdivisionsq.png

This was the league table on 19th Jan 2013. Not quite sure what's happened to Man City there, but they got off to a terrible start losing games to Aston Villa, QPR and ourselves during the first couple of months. They have gone on bit of a run in December though to get back toward top of the league. Spurs were the early pacesetters and sat top of the table from September onward, but they've hit a really bad run of form last month or so. Man Utd were in the bottom half of the league for quite a while and they have some very disgruntled players in the squad, Rooney has actually put in a transfer request and if they don't improve I can see a few other players following his example (not that I'm complaining mind)

Arsenal are really struggling in my game, languishing in 11th place come January 1st 2013.

As a heads up, Bocchetti of Rubin Kazan becomes a free transfer at the end of the first season. Currently trying to convince him to sign for us.

He is gettable, but you will have some real competition for his signature

urrghhh...finished first season now (will do an update tomorrow at some point) but during the close season Yohann Cabaye has hinted that he feels his contract could be more rewarding. Opened contract talks and he wants a hike from £31k a week to a whopping £105k a week. :(

Jesus, that is a massive step up.

And I can't seem to talk his agent down below £99k a week regardless which bonuses I offer. I just can't see the sense in hiking his wages that much, it will eat up too much of the excess wage budget I have at the moment and how long before the other key players start asking for similar wage hikes. :(

Tu che, always knew he played for Wallsend Boys Club, but always thought he was part of the youth set-up but was somehow overlooked and headed south. Thanks, learn something every day :)

No worries, he was scouted playing for Wallsend boys club and travelled down to play for the Saints youth team during his summer holidays. He was had successful trials at several clubs including Newcastle but turned them down to sign for Southampton.

The thread is excellent though, best I have seen.

Brilliant OP tommonufc, it's the best thread that I have ever seen on these forums :) thanks for your hard work and time on this super thread. I won't be as active on fm13 as I have been in previous games due to most of my spare time being taken up on my new puppy.

Amazing thread.

I'm Toon through and through, born and bread.

Doing well with my team, 3rd at the minute, just keep conceding goals from wide areas.

I bought Wellington Nem for £3.5million (release clause) and he's a brilliant foil for HBA.

Also worth a punt on Alberto Paloschi - on a free after 1 season. Good stats and will score

Needs to have this in your OP under stadium expansion. :cool:

6ZO6r.gif

Love this!

Would be incredible if St. James' ended up looking like the third slide - would be looking at 85,000 - 90,000 I recon there. Second one looks like a better version of Celtic Park, that's 60,000 - which is the expansion capacity that the stadium has in game, so you would just have the Gallowgate enlarged like in the picture. Third one looks like Twickenham - but that's near enough impossible to ever happen, as there is the listed building behind that stand.

Has he got any interest from other clubs in him?

Sorry was this question about Cabaye or Xisco?

If it's Cabaye, then yes definitely has interest from other clubs, PSG are always hovering. If it was Xisco then nope, not a bit, nothing, zip, nada...cheerfully punted out the door the second his contract ended on my save.

Sorry was this question about Cabaye or Xisco?

If it's Cabaye, then yes definitely has interest from other clubs, PSG are always hovering. If it was Xisco then nope, not a bit, nothing, zip, nada...cheerfully punted out the door the second his contract ended on my save.

Yes, for Cabaye. Do you intend to sell him? It's a tricky one, such a good player, but If he asks for that much on my save I think I will cash in for £20m, make a profit and bring in Jenssen.

Yes, for Cabaye. Do you intend to sell him? It's a tricky one, such a good player, but If he asks for that much on my save I think I will cash in for £20m, make a profit and bring in Jenssen.

To be honest I'm going to go one week back on my incremental save and challenge him to prove he deserves a new contract rather than go straight into contract talks, give myself a little breathing space.

However that's only a stop gap, if I still can't get him to lower his demands later on then I probably will look to cash in and find a replacement if I can.

Love this!

Would be incredible if St. James' ended up looking like the third slide - would be looking at 85,000 - 90,000 I recon there. Second one looks like a better version of Celtic Park, that's 60,000 - which is the expansion capacity that the stadium has in game, so you would just have the Gallowgate enlarged like in the picture. Third one looks like Twickenham - but that's near enough impossible to ever happen, as there is the listed building behind that stand.

Aye, if expanded into a bowl, it would have an estimated capacity of 84,000. Not going to happen because of what you have mentioned though.

Found that gif at the Newcastle Online forums. No credit due to me so you can remove the acknowledgment in the OP. :D

congrats tommo... stunning thread and one that all should try to emulate frankly...

will be starting my standard nufc save once the beta has updated.

always find it a challange to fit the likes of jonas in as i've always gone for more attacking options... think i might give him a chance this time around...

I wonder if i could raise funds to buy someone like chris samba.. he's looking like becoming one of my favourite cb's for fm13.

will update once i get underway.

Once again, thanks for the positive feedback, all much appreciated :)

@John Smith - Thanks, top work! :D

@DandyDon - Nice work with your save, how much interest are you having to fend off for Krul, Tiote, Ben Arfa etc..

@welshace - Thanks :) Likewise, always upgraded Jonas Gutierrez relativly quickly into an attacking 'Ben Arfa' type player. Looks to be a bit better this year though, but he'll be important to me when I play a 442 on the left I think.

Looked at Chris Samba, expensive - as was Salvatore Bochetti. Picked him up on a deal heavily spread-out worth around £16M; he joined me with Jores Okore, and Ruben Yttergård Jenssen. Sadly I got through most of pre-season and a run-time error popped up, with me not saving!

Transfers, Improvements section will be brought up to scratch this evening after I got stuck into the game a bit.

@tommonufc

Constant interest in Tiote and Cabaye throughout the season, but no concrete bids. During the close season so far I have had some news stories about interest in Krul, Ben Arfa and Demba Ba so far but again no actual bids yet but I'm fairly sure some are on the way.

@welshace

Who ever you're loking to sign in defence bear in mind that Steven Taylor can be immense for you, I played him as a Limited Defender with the stopper role and he's been brilliant, made Premier League team of the season, got capped for England and been very, very consistent for me (I'm not saying don't buy Samba as well mind you, he's a cracking player :D). Highly recommend looking at Stefan Strandberg too, absolute bargain and a very steady deputy for Taylor or Colo.

Archived