FM13: Newcastle United - Alan Pardew and The Eight Year Plan.

tommonufc

Ok, decided to start a new game as I had forgot to take my save with me...

Most people won't agree with this philosophy but I'm always one for BIG transfer windows!

Out-going was the usual fringe suspects - Simpson, Perch, Williamson, Shola, Jonas to name the main ones.

Now here is where it became interesting...

In-coming were...

Jovetic for £17m (£3m up front, rest over 48 months)

Wellington Nem £3.5

Dzagoev end of contract

Kjaer £3m

I was going to leave it there and play a front 3 of Cisse, Ba and Jovetic with Nem as cover. I started a 4-2-1-3 (narrow with 3 up front) in pre-season and they played well - especially Nem on the right hand side, he was banging them in. But then I checked the transfer list and Lewandowski was available for £24m. Without thinking I sold Ba to Chelsea for £13.5m (I had offered him a new contract earlier to get rid of THE clause) and then offered £10m plus £14m installs for Lew and lo and behold he has just signed. mega wages, mega signing fee but sod it!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any suggestions for a good right back? I'm planning on starting the season with a downloaded 4-2-3-1 tactic...

Krul

Taylor Colo Kjaer Santon

Tiote Cabaye

HBA Jovetic Ba

Cisse

Would like a more natural right back than S Taylor...any suggestions?

Yes, get Corchia from Socheaux. Big potential.

I'm looking forward to a Newcastle save, which i'll play in conjunction with my WBA one. But i'll wait till full release is out till i bother playing. I'll turn transfer window off as I prefer to go in with the same squad, then i'll stick to realistic transfers and avoid going for the obvious Wellington Nem's and Dzgaoev's.

I'll look to bring in Corchia, M.Sissoko if his contract expires with Toulouse, another wide player, a centre back and a CF if I sell Ba, which might happen if he asks for too much money on a new deal. I'd like Tomkins from West Ham but he may be too pricey.

Wasn't working too badly, fielded it for a run of about fives games in some tough fixtures - seemed to play quite well, the wider center backs weren't so rigid. Played with wingers in the rm/lm positions with Ayew and Jonas, so both have great workrate to track back.

Coloccini

Taylor - Perch

Jonas - Cabaye - Tiote - Jenssen - Ayew

Ba - Cisse

Ba, Tiote and Cisse have deserted me for ACoN at the moment, and have quite a few injuries, so changed things up some more. Alan Dzagoev joined me, and has come straight into the side. It's a 4-3-2-1 with three defensive midfielder and two attacking midfielders behind a forward.

Perch/Capoue - Taylor - Coloccini - Ferguson

Anita

Cabaye - Bigirimana

Dzagoev - Ben Arfa

Campbell

Into the tail-end of my season now, going fairly strong in the league and in strong contention for a Champions League placing. Haven't scored too many, but have been tight at the back for the most part which has helped me an awful lot. Hoping once the Africans return from their kick around I can start firing some goals in with my new system.

8142548272_5edfa6f8f6_b.jpg

Europe has been a bit of a disaster. Formatting in the image is a bit off, but essentially needed to win my final three group games after only picking one point up - and with the final game away to Athletic I needed to better Rubin's result against Slovan - which I failed to do.

8142519155_3c7e565f81_b.jpg

Have been rather busy with the transfers, and have assembled a first team I'm more than happy with at the moment. Etienne Capoue has been brought in as a right back, and I sealed deals for two Italians to join at the start of next season in Salvatore Bochetti and Alberto Paloschi.

8142547996_922ceec45c_b.jpg

It's annoying how bad I'm doing! I keep letting in silly goals where my defenders don't react quick enough, and am not having enough chances throughout the match. I'm playing similar tactics to most who've posted theirs in here, 4-4-2 with Ben Arfa pushed further forward but can't get anyone playing well at all!

FM is really frustrating me this year, can't get good results with any team! Went 5 games without scoring, have tweaked the tactics a lot recently and still nothing!

I've found match training to have a large effect, could possibly look into that..

I thought 4 4 2 was the way to go, and had visions of Ba and Cisse filling their boots and Ben Arfa terrorising defences, but could never get it to work.

Just couldn't really work with the 442, the pressing I want the side to have just doesn't work in the ME - especially with two central midfielders, so playing against any midfield three in the Premier League I didn't get a touch of the ball. It wasn't until I dropped this down, dropped the d-line, and played a lot narrower I got some glimer of hope from the 442.

I haven't been a great scorer so far, over the course of the season - neither Ba or Cisse are into double figures, and it's now Febuary. Since moving to a 4-3-1-2 with three defensive midfielders I've seen a lot more fluidity to my attacks - in essence two of the three DMs will be classed as normal midfilders, but they sit a lot deeper and then move into forward positions once I'm up the field - HBA is getting a lot more space to run at defences down the flanks and through the middle.

In real life, when Pardew plays a 4-4-2 it often isn't pretty - and Ba and Cisse just haven't been able to form a decent pairing - with only one shining at a time. The two of them are similar types of players, in the game you'd both want to play them as poachers, so when looking for a front two you normally want a player to drop off and help create or be a target man and provide knockdowns - neither Ba or Cisse can do this.

When Newcastle have lined up in a 4-3-3 it's invaribly seen the best out of Ben Arfa. My hope in getting both Cisse and Ba to work as a pairing would be to provide a creator for them, in Ben Arfa from behind them. Given up on a 4-4-2 now, although I'm sure it can work, as the squad has such high teamwork and workrate for it to work - Cabaye and Tiote will be able to get through an awful lot of work - but the shape doesn't lend it's self for neat passing football and high pressing that I like to play.

Changed my defensive line to alot further back and stuck S. Taylor/Kjaer as the limited defender. I also introduced an away tactic (which I've never really used on FM!) and I am doing way better!

Played five games since these changes and won 4 drew 1. Beating both Liverpool and Arsenal (top of the league) away with the new away tactic of 4-3-3 :)

Nice - Taylor and Kjaer [from what I can remember him being like] are both players that will suit a deeper back line - strong, good aerially, good positioning. So that will help your defence if your playing them two like that. Might not suit Coloccini as much - whilst he isn't particuarly quick to defend a large space behind that a high line will give, he does have great reading of the game and anticipation - so will be able to position himself a lot better to defend the space cut out the ball to the forward - similar with Taylor, who is a tad quicker.

If your playing with a 442 against a 3 man midfield, I'd look to play quite narrow as well - this will help close space that three men can work in, and with the industry of a pair like Cabaye and Tiote it can be very effective.

Watching the Chelsea game at the moment, but seeing Luiz come forward mainly in the first half, has got me thinking if I can get Coloccini bringing the ball out - see if the ME has improved in that regard.

Playing a Newcastle save because I saw this thread and found it really well written and made me want to do a Newcastle save for the first time since FM 06. Sold Xisco on to Huddersfield for £1m spread over 24 months, and had to agree to pay him £25k a week for the rest of his contract. I agreed.

Annoyed with my Director of Football that I employed though. Put him in charge of transfers, and despite me having a valuation of £30m on Ben Arfa, he sold him to Chelsea for £15m, with £12.25m of that to be paid in instalments. Not very happy I wasn't.

far out, in the middle of a club takeover, been going for months and about to hit jan transfer window where i wanna sign some people on frees. Anyway i can get rid of it? such as loading up my saving game, going ahead one day and if it isn't gone, keep reloading the game and playing a day till it's gone. You might call it cheating but i wouldn't because if i know real life, club takeover speculation goes for months but the actual acquisition of a club goes for 1-2 weeks max.

@markcunn Thanks; pleased it's inspired you, that's what it's there for :) Haven't had any experience with a Director of Football, but that sounds quite unlucky with Ben Arfa.

@shermy123 You'll just have to sit that one out I'm afraid - you never know you might get a Tycoon takeover! :D

2012/13 - Beta warm up just about finished in time.

Achieved a target of Champions League placing; a disastrous 9 points dropped in my run in against Wigan, Reading and Fulham proved costly.

8145851297_199a66e270_b.jpg

8145882184_129f85cf83_b.jpg

Player of the Season - Steven Taylor

Rock at the back all season - made his England debut this season too. Highest rating of the squad this season, which wasn't skewed too much from too many goals.

8145881384_29f9fb9723_b.jpg

Signing of the Season - Alan Dzagoev

Every man and his dog will know about this great Russian within the beta - but he was a revelation within my season. He joined as Ba, Cisse and Tiote headed off to Africa - which saw me shift my system up to incorporate him and Ben Arfa in behind a front man. This modified 4-3-2-1 would get the best out of Dzagoev and Ben Arfa from cental areas, whilst dominating the midfield with a three man combination of Ayew, Tiote and Cabaye.

8145880900_b5fa5af87f_b.jpg

Finished my second season earlier, and despite winning the FA Cup first season I have bombed. Although my league position has got better as I finished Season 1 in 15th and Season 2 in 10th.

Seriously thinking of sacking my Director of Football. All the players I want to loan out, he does no problem. Exactly as I ask. However, any time an offer comes in for a player I have to reject it after he accepts. So far he has sold Xisco, Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse, Taylor and Coloccini. All for a total of upfront £5m and with 30 month instalments worth £16m, so I am totally screwed with my team. I finally get a starting XI working well, get a good run going and he sells one of my players.

WOW! He's decimated your side!

Who on earth did you employ? With me, he'd have been shown the door after selling Ben Arfa behind my back. Still yet to work with a Director of Football yet, and can't see it happening - I don't believe that the AI has better decision making for me than I do myself.

Who have you brought in to replace the sales with?

Has anyone had any luck with DOF signing anyone? i add all the 4.5 + 5 star youngsters to my list but he's literally signed no one. To add to that when i try and sign youngsters myself, it's like players worth 50k are supposedly valued at 25 mil and i'm going you're joking right? i honestly think the game is unrealistic in that regard, i've already had a twitter war with miles jacobsen about it and he reckons it's even more realstic considering how much arsenal paid for oxlade ( about 12 million ) and i said ok, but oxlade was worth 3-5 mil and went for 12 mil, then in game, de sciglio worth 2.2 mil and they want 19 mil and ollinga for malaga worth 50k and they want 13 mil, clearly not consistent with real life...really makes the game unplayable, impossible to sign players unless they're transfer listed

Has anyone had any luck with DOF signing anyone? i add all the 4.5 + 5 star youngsters to my list but he's literally signed no one. To add to that when i try and sign youngsters myself, it's like players worth 50k are supposedly valued at 25 mil and i'm going you're joking right? i honestly think the game is unrealistic in that regard, i've already had a twitter war with miles jacobsen about it and he reckons it's even more realstic considering how much arsenal paid for oxlade ( about 12 million ) and i said ok, but oxlade was worth 3-5 mil and went for 12 mil, then in game, de sciglio worth 2.2 mil and they want 19 mil and ollinga for malaga worth 50k and they want 13 mil, clearly not consistent with real life...really makes the game unplayable, impossible to sign players unless they're transfer listed

Totally agree to an extent. On my Norwich save there aren't many players I can sign for £2-3m that are any good for my side and theres literally none in the Prem!

Start of first season? Thought I'd be able to get him this year finally after he wasn't interested on FM12 in first season. Nooooooooo

Yes first thing I did in the end I switched santon to right back and bought Neil Taylor for 6million

I have sacked him this morning. Some Russian bloke it was, will dig the name out and post later.

I still had control of transfers coming in, managed to poach Macheda from United for £6.5m, a future fee that was agreed when I loaned him first season.

Finished my second season earlier, and despite winning the FA Cup first season I have bombed. Although my league position has got better as I finished Season 1 in 15th and Season 2 in 10th.

Seriously thinking of sacking my Director of Football. All the players I want to loan out, he does no problem. Exactly as I ask. However, any time an offer comes in for a player I have to reject it after he accepts. So far he has sold Xisco, Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse, Taylor and Coloccini. All for a total of upfront £5m and with 30 month instalments worth £16m, so I am totally screwed with my team. I finally get a starting XI working well, get a good run going and he sells one of my players.

I am never, never, never appointing a Director of Football going by that experience. :eek:

ahhh nothing like a progressive modern football manager eh

Yup...and I'm nothing like a progressive modern football manager :p

Joking aside I can see the point of them, but I prefer to have as much control over transfers in game as I can...it's one of the major sources of fun/frustration for me

I see your frustration, but often clubs saying that Player X valued at £2M is only available at £20M for example, that's there way of saying he's not for sale. Within the real world, a large majority players are unattainable for clubs - simply because transfer fees would dictate there be no value in buying the player. For example, Tottenham linked with Tim Krul in the summer - Newcastle wouldn't have sold him for a price Tottenham would deem to be value, so headed else where, and picked up Hugo Lloris. You've just got to bide your time and pick up players where you can.

Start of first season? Thought I'd be able to get him this year finally after he wasn't interested on FM12 in first season. Nooooooooo

Went after Debuchy first transfer window for realism - was qouted a similarly large price of around £18M :(

Gonna be doing a video diary of my season. First vid talks about the side, transfer and tactics. Remember to subscribe to the vid to follow my season. :-)

Enjoy!

[video=youtube;of11QeQUcK8?hd=1]

Nice video - keep em' coming :thup:

Yup...and I'm nothing like a progressive modern football manager :p

Joking aside I can see the point of them, but I prefer to have as much control over transfers in game as I can...it's one of the major sources of fun/frustration for me

Have hired Damien Comolli as a Director of Football in my close season - only tied him down to a one year deal at the moment just encase I need to show him the door. Will limit his duties so he doesn't sell of any stars for magic beans or such like. Main idea behind it is to just try out the feature and bring in some young talent into the U18s and reserves if he can.

Would only annoy me if I lost to them :p I think it's pretty sound way to kick off your season - beating the mackems!

Just beaten Liverpool at home 3-0 with this line-up. Going to give it a few games see if I can make it stick.

8138988809_e0f642ed28.jpgabDDpVqaij.jpg

I am getting the game tomorrow and i am liking the look of this tactic so think i will try it , do you alter the player instructions much ??? and does this years game still have the corner glitch ???

I am getting the game tomorrow and i am liking the look of this tactic so think i will try it , do you alter the player instructions much ??? and does this years game still have the corner glitch ???

Can't remember too much from that set-up I have to say, but no, the corner glitch has gone as far as I know. I do tend to alter player instructions quite a bit, but your get the general jist of things from the default TC settings of the players - just see how they play out and tweak where necessary.

Currently using these two set-ups for the coming season. Both feature three defensive midfielders.

abDEzraafb.jpgabDEzA8amu.jpg

4-3-1-2; - Basic back four, Santon and Anita set to hug touchline where they provide the natural width for the side.

- Three defensive midfielders, although only Tiote is really there to provide out and out defensive cover. He's an anchor man, flanked by Cabaye and Ayew. Cabaye would be the playmaker - runs from deep sometimes. Ayew, is a the attacking of the three. I have him set to run with the ball often and lots of forward runs. He'll often run with the ball from deep positions into wide areas and centrally.

4-3-2-1 - Same set-up as previous up until the front three. The lone forward will be your basic poacher; with two attacking midfielders behind. I have Ben Arfa as a runner - run with the ball often, no forward runs, no through balls. He'll get the ball on the outside of the box, or deep and have space to run into. Dzagoev will be the creator or advanced playmaker - he's set to lots of through balls, and forward runs, with no running with the ball. I want him to get forward into goalscoring chances and advanced positions to create.

Hey guys, great thread! You guys seem to have some really cool players showing up in your databases. Are you guys using Large database or Medium? Also what exactly does Director of Football do? I haven't dared to hire one as I fear they'll mess up with my transfers.

I'm running with a large database - probably beneficial, but will depend on what your after and what you capable of running.

A Director of Football can do anything from run everything at your club - all hiring and firing of players, coaches, scouts - to just handling the hiring of coaches. A Director of Football won't mess your transfers up if you don't allow him too.

I've hired Damien Commoli this summer, but given him a brief of hiring coaches, handling the sales of transfer listed players and the recruitment of young players. Even then, I'm having to intervene at various stages - for example I'm currently trying to find a club for Sammy Ameobi to go on loan to. No end of Championship clubs are after him, but Commoli is accepting every bid - even clubs that would see Ameobi only offer squad rotation. I'll see a message come in my inbox saying 'Team X have made a bid', see it's been accepted, and then have to approve it to a certain extent - to make sure the deals fit in line with him getting first team football, and to go to a club if possible where the manager has a high 'working with youngsters' attribute. At the moment eight bids have been made from Championship clubs for Sammy, all accepted by Commoli, but only two at the moment are acceptable options for Sammy Ameobi to choose from.

I've instructed my DOF to recruit potential young player for my first team and youth side; Comolli wen't out a struck a deal for £5.25M for Guiseppe Bellsuchi from Catania, a very good young right back, that would be a great signing for a good price - but I've no need to bring him in, as I am set within the first team within this position, so I had to cancel the deal when it came to the final descion. No doubt this will happen on a few more occassions, but saying that I did want a right back, the Director of Football went out a finalised a deal for me, and made it very easy.

In the real world, if a manager wanted a right back, he wouldn't be heavily involved in the bidding process, let alone contract negotiations of a player - so I can see the appeal of the feature, and will be something that I'm experimenting with this season.

@tommonufc, you're awesome! Thanks for the detailed answer. The other question for you, how do you improve scouting knowledge? My 4 scouts mostly cover Central Europe but when I go to Staff search and try to look for someone who can cover South America, no one shows up probably because I don't have that region's knowledge yet? How do you overcome that? Do you send your Europe scouts to South America?

Also, can you hire a Reserves Manager? I fired mine at the beginning of season but I don't think you can offers someone a contract of Reserves Manager. How about Youth Coach? Is that option gone too?

@tommonufc, you're awesome! Thanks for the detailed answer. The other question for you, how do you improve scouting knowledge? My 4 scouts mostly cover Central Europe but when I go to Staff search and try to look for someone who can cover South America, no one shows up probably because I don't have that region's knowledge yet? How do you overcome that? Do you send your Europe scouts to South America?

Also, can you hire a Reserves Manager? I fired mine at the beginning of season but I don't think you can offers someone a contract of Reserves Manager. How about Youth Coach? Is that option gone too?

To improve your scouting range as a club you need to get widen your scouts individual scouting knowledge. For example, if you have no scouts that have knowledge of Japan, China, South Korea ect. your knowledge of Asia will be low.

Have a look for scouts with nationalities of areas you wan't to cover. For example, search for Brazilian, Argentinian scouts to scout South America. Other than this, the attribitutes that you will need to send a scout without prior knowledge of an area somewhere would be 'adaptability' and 'determination', as well as JJP, JJA. With these two high attributes it will see your scout overcome their lack of previous knowledge, of say, err.. Tajikistan, and work hard to gain knowledge and scout that area - that will therefore widen your scouting range as a club, due to that scout gaining knowledge of.. Tajikistan, and all of it's footballing talents. This will entern see Tajikistan's players show up in your player search.

You can hire a reserve manager, and likewise with youth coaches.

If anyone's looking for a new RB back check out Gino Peruzzi.

Has amazing potential, looks a great buy for his value.

Looks a top player - I've got him on one of my shortlists, but only really spotted him after his thread was made! Don't really need him now, but wish I hadn't spent all that money on Etienne Capoue :( I did this last year, brought Capoue for £12M+ plus, had him for a year and ran out of use for him.

So are all the beta players out there starting new saves now we've reached the official release, or is anyone carrying on with their beta save?

I'm in two minds at the moment, obviously very happy with my first season, but think I might have over developed certain areas of the squad during the summer.

Archived