FM13: Newcastle United - Alan Pardew and The Eight Year Plan.

tommonufc

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm carrying on with my beta save at the moment. Didn't think you were able too prior to updating, thought it was just a case of you having to start a fresh. Are there any major reasons to start again?

No particularly pressing ones, was more just curious if that's what other folks were doing.

As far as my save goes I did have an actual concrete transfer bid to fend off for one of my key players with Inter Milan offering a hefty £27million for Hatem Ben Arfa.

Of course as soon as I rejected the offer his agent wants to talk about a new contract.......anyone encountered an agent on this game they like yet? :D

just started with newcastle :D

transfers in

valentino lazaro 10k

jores okore 1.3m

mason bennett 3.4m

total 4.7m

transfers out

sammy ameobi loan

marveaux 3.5m

xisco 1m

vuckic loan

alnwick loan

perch 4m

shane feguson loan

tavernier loan

ranger loan

elliot 130k

simpson 3m

abied loan

total 11.75m

scores so far just at end of transfer window

newcastle 2-0 sunderland

newcastle 1-0 arsenal kiev

reading 2-3 newcastle

arsenal kiev 0-2 newcastle

newcastle 0-0 stoke

reggeting letting so many go as i falied in getting in a few players on last few days and ba is out for month and tiote for 4 :(

How do you guys have Ben Arfa set up to play? I've got him as an attacking winger and cutting inside, run with ball often and high creative freedom. The problem is he just refuses to take players on. He just stops and passes the ball sideways or backwards. The team is playing well with a 4-4-2 I have set up but I just cannot get him playing well at all.

Looks a top player - I've got him on one of my shortlists, but only really spotted him after his thread was made! Don't really need him now, but wish I hadn't spent all that money on Etienne Capoue :( I did this last year, brought Capoue for £12M+ plus, had him for a year and ran out of use for him.

Exactly the same as me, is spent money on a RB in the BETA then caught his player thread, thankfully I've restarted with the full release so I'm now hoping he gets a work permit without much hassle.

I'm thinking of brining in either Cornelius, Helenious and/or Pohjanpalo to cover for he front men who go away for the ACoN. My thought process for it is if I bring 1 of them in and give them the period the african boys are away it'll give them a good run in the team. I may also use that as the time to bleed Adam Campbell to partner them.

Time for a halfway through the first season update.

I appointed Damien Commoli as Director of Football and told him to sign me good youth players who would possibly break into first team as well. Here are the results of this....

TransfersInOut.png

Here are the tactics I use (every game - never changes)

Tactics.png

And finally here are the league standings at the halfway point

LeagueTableChristmas.png

Looking forward, I have asked set Comolli a few transfer targets which I hope to get in the second half of the season. I exited League Cup at 1/4s and exited the Europa League in the first possible stage (I played all the kids)

Transfer list is a list that you can add players to, where the board or appointed Director of Football will try and sign players - the development list will be, I think, players that you want clubs found for them to go out on loan too.

Have a look around on the new features threads in General Discussion - there will be more information there about it.

Just got to the end of the Jan. Transfer window never signed anyone as I don't see us signing anyone IRL. :brock:

Never signed anyone at the start either, so I just have the starting squad, Currently in 2nd place 1pt behind 1st.

Any tips on who I should look to sign for next season? [free transfer?]

my last set of results

newcastle 2-2 arsenal

newcastle 3-2 psv

newcastle 2-1 hull (captial one cup 3rd round

aston villa 2-1 newcastle

lazio 0-2 necastle

necastle 4-0 fulham

newcastle 1-0 liverpool

anji 0-1 newcastle

newcastle 2-2 blackburn (lost 5-4 on pens )

west ham 1-2 newcastle

newcastle 0-0 anji

wigan 1-2 newcastle

qpr 3-2 newcastle

psv 1-2 newcastle

newcastle 2-1 southamton

spurs 3-1 newcastle

newcastle 1-3 lazio

newcastle 1-0 west brom

newcastle 6-3 norwich

newcastle 4-2 man u

man city 3-0 newcastle

everton 1-0 newcastle

newcastle 3-1 reading

i am 3rd in league 5points behind spurs in first with game in hand and 1 point behind city with 2 games in hand

europa league finshed top of my group playing youngstars and fringe players got cska in next round

i am curtttenly trying sign llorente on a pre contract :D

can anyone recomed a young centre midflieler got about 9m

Well I have decided to start a new save now the full game is out, hummed and hawed for a bit about continuing with my beta save, but I eventually decided that I'd give it a go and do things a little differently this time round.

The main difference being that I decided to concentrate initially on getting certain back room staff in place and expanding the scouting network before chasing player signings. I've also decided to follow the lead of a few folks on the thread here and appoint a Director of Football, despite my protestations earlier :p

So far I've brought in Phil Cannon from Blackburn as my new Head of Youth Development (this is the only area I've actually replaced anyone, the rest of the starting backroom staff are still in place) added Paulo Cesar Batista dos Santos and Brian Laudrup to the coaching staff plus filled our complement of scouts to the maximum of 9 allowed by the board.

Just to be highly unoriginal I made Damien Comolli my DoF and for this summer I've handed him a brief of trying to find some players for the 1st team and also offload a couple of players that I've transfer listed. So far he hasn't had too much luck bringing anyone in, in fact he almost blew our attempts to sign Jores Okore by not offering him a decent contract (our initial bid failed and I had ressurect the deal myself). However he's more than made up for that in my eyes by somehow successfully offloading Xisco to Udinese for £2.5 million...and upfront at that. The man can obviously talk rivers into flowing backwards! (I couldn't even give the guy away for free on the demo :D)

Elsewhere we've not been having a lot of luck in the transfer market as we missed out on several players I made bids for myself. Alan Dzagoev won't be joining us this time round as he chose to sign a new 5 year deal with CSKA Moscow, and so far I haven't tempted Ajax into selling Toby Alderweireld. I've also made a couple bids for Ukrainian attacking midfielder Roman Bezus, but everytime his club negotiate they hike the asking price. Porto made a bid for Demba Ba on the very first day of this save, so my hand was forced into offering him a new contract to avoid losing him for a paltry £7 million. He still has a release clause but it's now up at £34 million, on the other hand we're now paying him £60k a week.

I have just started my Newcastle save now that the full game has come out but my progress will probably be slow due to me loading loads of countries/leagues and also trying spending time with my new puppy :cool:.

I have got rid of a lot of the staff on mutual terminations and brung in my own backroom staff. My new Assistant Manager is non other than the legendary Johan Cruijff, who I couldn't believe was available as a free agent. I have also signed Pantaleo Corvino as my Director of Football who was also available as a free agent but he hasn't found me any players yet :(.

On the transfer front we have agreed deals to sign Alan Dzagoev, Romario, Doria who will all arrive in January and Jaime who will arrive at the start of the second season. When the first transfer window closes I'll post a screenshot of my transfers to date because as usual theres a lot of comings and goings at SJP.

This season I'll be playing a 4-5-1 formation with attacking Wing Backs and Inside Forwards to try to get the best out of Ben Arfa, Ba and Cisse.

Season 2013/14

Net spend of £16M this summer, and strengthened the side to quite an extent ahead of this seasons Champions League campaign and title push. Big names being Mario Gotze, Isco and the return of Andy Carroll. Gotze and Carroll were picked up through being transfer listed, with Paloschi and Bochetti being signed up end of contracts. Fraser Foster was brought back to Newcastle from Celtic to be number two to Tim Krul as I've loaned out Jak Anlwick for the season - with the other signings in Espinosa, Pohjanpola and Ademilson being players for the future.

£8M profit on Etienne Capoue in around seven months - he was sold to Spurs for £20M in a cash rasing exercise. Probably wasn't a signing that I needed in the first place, which was shown in my readiness to hawk him out, with Camolli eventually securing a nice deal worth £20M. Stefan Strandberg was picked up for £300k start of last season, played only 10 games for me, and was sold off for another healthy profit - his game time would have been limited on the arrival of Bochetti so saw it fit to move him on, likewise with the loan move of Jores Okore. Yet more transfer profit was seen in the Ruben Yttergard Jenssen transfer - the arrival of Gotze and Isco would have seen his game time limited, so best for him to be moved on and capatlise on a high stock.

8156391495_8cc6a45221_b.jpg

8156425774_1827b4b337_z.jpg

8156394179_b541f6d346_z.jpg

Javi Espinosa_ Overview Attributes by TRichardsss, on Flickr

8156394543_2459c32960_z.jpg

Isco_ Overview Attributes by TRichardsss, on Flickr

8156426838_2f2b02841e_z.jpg

Fraser Forster_ Overview Attributes by TRichardsss, on Flickr

8156427174_7044c6050b_z.jpg

Ademílson_ Overview Attributes by TRichardsss, on Flickr

This will be my squad for the season - looks quite hefty, but I've included some of the reserves that I think have a future at the club, and the guys that have been sent out on loan.

8156393475_1772464767_b.jpg

8156393353_ee265838fd_b.jpg

8156393057_d5d2efd0e5_b.jpg

8156424582_1d7407d8f3_b.jpg

Finalised two tactics that I'll be taking into battle this season - both based around the use of three centeral midfielders - one that will probably make good of Andy Carroll in a little n' large due, and the set-up I finished with last season. So far I've found the use of three defensive midfielders very effective - whilst attacking two of the three will hold their position and keep the ball moving - Cabaye and Tiote ideally - with another pushing forward into a lot of space from a deep position - Gotze, Ayew or Dzagoev. The 'attacking defensive midfielder' I've found to be very effective in that they can form and keep defensive shape well without the ball, and when in possession they start from a deeper position on the field from which I allow them to run from - so instead of them picking up the ball 30/40 yards higher up the pitch when the oppositions defensive lines are tighter they will have a lot of space out wide to run into, and space in behind to play team mates in.

8156424340_1cfe61dee8_z.jpg8156403693_d4578cd21c_z.jpg

Very cool you guys!! Can the Director of Football can better deals out of player than you doing itself? (both the buying and selling part). My fear is that AI often time includes these terrible clauses in player's contract that would be costly in the future. Though having said that, seems like you guys have had luck with him offloading players for more than they're worth.

After one season i'd say he's very good. Won premier league and UEFA-cup with Newcastle, and Santon was one of my most trusted players. He played 36! league matches as LD(wingback settings), and his average was 7.0

Valued at £9,5m now(pre season 2013), and i'm in no urge for a better LD. He gives me the opportunity to buy a potentially world class regen for almost nothing, and nurture him to take over in 4-5 years :)

Thanks for the feed back guys :)

Have enlarged the font in some sections from feedback; used a smaller text for the most part to keep it neat, and to scale down walls of text and keep the pages shorter.

tommonufc, who cares if pages are shorter or not, its a board so you can have posts as loong as you want. Currently both your Newcastle and Barca thread are immense but impossible to read, it's really a shame given the effort you are putting in and the in depth info you provide. Curently to read your thread properly it needs to be copied into word and have font increased.... :( pease try to solve this for both your threads and they will become legend I am sure :thup:

Considering starting with the toon army (in part due to this brilliant thread) but I like to stick to a 433 with wingers as my formation so I'm thinking of having ba left, Ben arfa right and cussed through the middle. I've had a brief look through and can't see anyone with this, has anyone had success with this? What's the best way to play HBA, really want to build my team around him.

4-3-3 can work, and is probably a more suitable 'off the bat' formation to use, as a 4-4-2 can take quite a bit of tweaking - Ba isn't a natural winger, but will probably quite effective if you can get him moving into goal scoring positions from an inside position.

Ben Arfa is most dangerous I think when played through the middle. He'll find more room to run at players, and can move and run wide with the ball - he'll open up space this way for others. Out wide, he can be a dangerous player, but it will be easier for him to go missing if up against a well drilled defence or just isn't getting enough space to run at his full back.

@DandyDon

What settings have you give your Director of Football ? mine has been useless so far even though I have ticked the options for him to find me youth players and players for the first team.

To be honest with you Col I'm really not sure about the DoF settings at all. At the moment I've got him set to try and find me players for the First Team on the staff responsibility page and I've set some minimum values I want him to try and offload players at on the Unwanted list. Not sure if there are other settings I can apply to him or not. So far he hasn't done a great job bringing anyone in, but he did manage that miracle of selling Xisco. I'm not sure what Comolli's rep is like compared to Corvino's though and how much influence that would have on sales.

My Newcastle save is officially underway, just back from Newcastle last night and It put me right in the mood.

Will start out going through the staff, then playing staff before considering formation layouts and training.

Can't wait!

My DoF finally had his first success in terms of bringing in some new faces to the club, securing a pretty reasonable £4.3 million deal for Swansea's Neil Taylor, so now I have the option of shifting Santon over to right back (or at least the option to have some reliable cover at left back if I choose to rest him). Took until the start of transfer deadline day though, still have some money left in the bank, so ideally I'd like to bring a couple more bodies if I can, just to add a little more strength in depth.

Squad was often left pretty knackered after Euro matches on my beta save so I really want a good amount of cover. I'm considering loan bids for Seamus Coleman and Federico Macheda while I try and find a couple more permanent deals before the window closes.

@tommonufc

Some very tasty transfer dealings there, Goetze and Isco alongside Cabaye and Ben Arfa....shouldn't be any shortage of creativity there at least :thup:

Yeah :p Having trouble getting them all on the same field. Likewise with the strikers - Cisse, Ba, Paloschi, Carroll all senior first teamers, but Campbell is needing games now - along with Maddison, Adelmison.

Lined up in one game not so long ago with a forward line of;

Cabaye --- Ayew

Gotze --- Dzagoev --- Ben Arfa

Cisse

Have been fiddling around with line ups, shapes tactics too much I think - 10 games in the league I've only got 15 points and 7th, 13 points behind Arsenal at the top.

Champions League group of Zenit, Porto, Valenica is going well - top after four rounds with 10 points, so qualified from that barring a anti-miracle.

Come Janaury I'm going to have to offload one of Cisse or Ba, thinking Ba - but Cisse just isn't firing for me, but his poaching stats are far too incredible; and probably loan out Wellington Nem to get him some games.

I got Dzagoev for free in Jan of first season.. don't buy him... his contract runs out , or at least it did in my game... he's a good player and does well and he's only 22 so will develop.

Nobody buys him, he's the worst kept secret in FM13 :p The sneaky Russian just scored two against West Brom for me :D

@DandyDon

That's the same settings I have been using for my Director of Football and he has not brought one single player to the club. I am on deadline day now so he might sign someone but if not I am already thinking about releasing him as theres no point in him being at the club :(.

@tommonufc

Thats some squad you've assembled there mate, I don't know how your going to be able to keep everyone happy though but it's a nice problem to have.

I am liking the transfer deadline day addition to fm13 very much, it's a brilliant new feature :cool:.

@col_nufc1; Yeah, been quite profitable in the transfer market with a handful of players, so have raised funds quite easily. Didn't really intend to bring in Gotze, but he was transfer listed, and just couldn't turn down a talent like that. My reasoning for moving on Capoue to Tottenham, was to release funds to bring in Yann M'Vila, who was also transfer listed - but instead went after Gotze with that money - and then brought in Isco with the extra cash I had burning away.

Quite a few of the youngsters have developed well I think - Campbell has only played less than 10 games for me and scored around 8 goals, but is being touted for Martin Jol's England squad still at 18. Maddison has just turned 20 and has needs some game time. Esteban Lopez I'm trying to make something off.

Demba Ba has been my goalscorer so far this season, so his stock will be high for a January sale I hope.

Has anybody else made use of Shane Ferguson?? I had him tutored by Saylor, and given him game time over last 18 months and has turned into a very nice attacking wing back.

can I ask..... how the hell has everyone kept hold of Ba.?

I started two games and both times he instantly got bought by chelsea within the first few days...... I take it either people have edited the game or did you all offer him a new contract straight away as the game starts.?

@tommonufc

He went out on loan for the first season on my beta save, but came back having made over 20 first team starts while he was away. Was getting a few games at start of second season but obviously I've restarted. This time out I've rejected loan bids for him and plan on giving him some first team games in the cups and Europe mostly.

can I ask..... how the hell has everyone kept hold of Ba.?

I started two games and both times he instantly got bought by chelsea within the first few days...... I take it either people have edited the game or did you all offer him a new contract straight away as the game starts.?

On the beta I got lucky as no-one actually came in with a bid for him at all. On my new save Porto did stick a bid in for him almost the first time I clicked the 'Continue' button so I went out and straight away offered him a new deal which he chose to sign over moving to Portugal....if I'd been unlucky and had Chelsea bid the way you have though I'm pretty sure I'd have lost him.

@hypertoon

I offered Ba a contract on the first day to get rid of his £7m realease clause but now he's on £55k a week and has a £34m realease clause.

@tommonufc

I had Ferguson tutored by James Perch, who got his determination upto 15 and I have now sent him on loan to Millwall. I have told them I want him played as a left back and want him to be a key player, hopefully he improves with a full season of Championship football under his belt.

Ah right...... it wasnt until after he sold that I thought about offering a new contract daft as that sounds.. and I couldnt be arsed to start again... plus chelsea gave him silly money so doubt I would have kept him anyway.... not that I minded in the end because with the 7 mill start and I sold perch and a few other reserves and with the bit from Ba going to chelsea I bought Artem Milevski just after that and he's been good for me so far.. I got him for 12m

Now that the fun of deadline is over here are our player and staff transfers.

nufctransfersinfirstwin.jpg

nufcstafftransfersinfir.jpg

The transfer I am most excited about is the player exchange involving Gabriel Obertan and Steven Caulker, we get rid of a useless sulking Frenchman and bring in a future England centre back with no transfer fee involved.

My scouts have found me some gems in Brazil with Wellington Nem, Adryan, Muralho and Matthues who all had low release fees in there contracts.

I decided to sell our top earners with a heavy heart but £9m for Captain Colo and £12.5m for Spiderman were very good offers and with me signing a few new younger centre backs it was a no brainer really.

Now that the fun of deadline is over here are our player and staff transfers.

The transfer I am most excited about is the player exchange involving Gabriel Obertan and Steven Caulker, we get rid of a useless sulking Frenchman and bring in a future England centre back with no transfer fee involved.

Either Daniel Levy or AVB deserves shooting on behalf of Spurs for their part in that deal :D

Either Daniel Levy or AVB deserves shooting on behalf of Spurs for their part in that deal :D

When I seen that Spurs were interested Obertan I thought I would put a cheeky bid in and was shocked that it got accepted :D, if I was a Spurs fan I certainly wouldn't be happy with AVB or Levy with that deal :lol:

Caulker for Squidward - caught Spurs with their pants down there :p Selling Colo though, :herman:

Here's Fergie for me - obviously not a natural full back, but quite effective bursting forward from deep I've found - far from the worst of players I've managed.

8158667749_fd2e57143f_b.jpg

@ Start of game;

8120112597_b9e431bc6c_b.jpg

Archived